Current Bills going to Hall of Fame?

If you could pick one current Bills player, other than Kiko of course, who you could see somehow, everything going right and the realize every drop of potential, and stay healthy for a decade straight, and made the Hall of Fame, who would you chose?

If I had to FORCE someone to play at a Hall of Fame level for the next 10 years, the answer would easily be EJ. For EJ to be Hall of Fame worthy, he would obviously have had to have done a lot of winning, and probably a Super Bowl, to make it.

If I had to pick someone who is on the current roster I could reasonably project out to make the Hall of Fame, I would feel comfortable picking Mario Williams, if he plays another 4 or 5 years, has at least 2 more 12-13+ sack seasons, and finishes his career with another 40-45 more sacks. Not an ace lock for the Hall of Fame, but somebody who I could see having the numbers warrented to get in.

My other pick, based on potential obviously, and not production, would be Watkins. He hasn't taken a snap that matters yet, but if he does realize that talent, he could very well make it.

What say you, if you could FORCE someone to play at a HOF level for the next 10 years, either because it would mean the team would benefit from it, or because you just love the guy and wish he could do well (like imagine if Freddy could play another 10 years at current level, I would love that), who would be your pick? And if you could project someone out to being a HOF'er, who would it be? Assume there is one on the team right now, ignoring just how unlikely it is, who would it be?

I think that the OPs thoughts are right on. If you want a darkhorse candidate I will say Aaron Williams. I really believe that he is on the verge of being one of the best in football. He is still young enough that he can be on the verge of 8-10 years as a Pro Bowl player.

When Cordy Glenn finally retires (after being asked to move inside to guard and letting some young draftee take over at LT) we will be debating his worthiness for the Hall. Guessing it will look like a quietly effective and durable career.

He and Hogan go in to Canton together!

As of this moment, we have none. If we turn into a contender, then we'll talk.

Obviously at this point we have none, I think you missed the idea of the OP. Imagine it's 2028, and a Bills player just got inducted into the HOF, and the 2014 season we look back at as the season he REALLY took off. What player is it?

I don't think Spiller,, because he has had 2 of his 4 seasons in the NFL pretty much ineffective. And I'm a Spiller fan, just don't see him turning it around so much so that he puts up 5 years as a top 3 RB, which he would need to to be in consideration. I believe he is what, 26, 27 years old?

Obviously at this point we have none, I think you missed the idea of the OP. Imagine it's 2028, and a Bills player just got inducted into the HOF, and the 2014 season we look back at as the season he REALLY took off. What player is it?

I don't think Spiller,, because he has had 2 of his 4 seasons in the NFL pretty much ineffective. And I'm a Spiller fan, just don't see him turning it around so much so that he puts up 5 years as a top 3 RB, which he would need to to be in consideration. I believe he is what, 26, 27 years old?

Historically, outside of Peterson this generation of RBs will not stack up. It is like pitchers in the steroid era. By the same token people involved in the passing game (both offensively and defensively) will be the ones that last. Spiller is a nice player and an explosive weapon but his career is nowhere close to HOF backs. Jerome Bettis isn't in the HOF and in addition to being a Super Bowl winner he has 13,662 yards (6th all-time) & 91 rushing TDs. Spiller is like 10k yards off that pace and probably 80 TDs. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that the OPs thoughts are right on. If you want a darkhorse candidate I will say Aaron Williams. I really believe that he is on the verge of being one of the best in football. He is still young enough that he can be on the verge of 8-10 years as a Pro Bowl player.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not the type of fan who buries players before they're dead, but I legitimately thought Aaron Williams was a fringe roster player at the end of his second year, as he wasn't getting it done at CB, and I know I'm not the only one to feel that. I can't believe how quickly he has gone from possibly playing himself off of the team to being a leader of the team, having a 2nd contract in his hand already, and on the verge of being a Pro Bowl breakout player. Probably the biggest, quickest turnaround since Moulds. Obviously this turn around doesn't happen every year with 1 player, as it has been over 15 years since Moulds did his turn around, but don't sleep on guys like Bradham, he has shown skills, just not for 3 downs, 60 minutes, 16 games. Yet.

Mario has the best chance currently, but unless they establish a sustained winning culture, it'll be hard for anyone to get a nod.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not the type of fan who buries players before they're dead, but I legitimately thought Aaron Williams was a fringe roster player at the end of his second year, as he wasn't getting it done at CB, and I know I'm not the only one to feel that. I can't believe how quickly he has gone from possibly playing himself off of the team to being a leader of the team, having a 2nd contract in his hand already, and on the verge of being a Pro Bowl breakout player. Probably the biggest, quickest turnaround since Moulds. Obviously this turn around doesn't happen every year with 1 player, as it has been over 15 years since Moulds did his turn around, but don't sleep on guys like Bradham, he has shown skills, just not for 3 downs, 60 minutes, 16 games. Yet.

They finally put him at the position many scouts thought he should have been playing all along.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh shoot, my mistake.

Ideally EJ, but if we start winning right now it seems like it'll be more due to our defense and running game. I agree that running backs aren't what they used to be, so Spiller is unlikely. I would say Dareus, Gilmore or A Williams.

I certainly buried the guy. I think that he was my candidate to be the whipping boy last year but I can't find the thread. I was so wrong!! He is good in run support, a great athlete with instincts and a nose for the football. Also, he can play man on a WR or TE when needed. In many ways, he is the prototype for the modern saftey. I hope that he continues to develop and I feel bad for being so hard on the guy earlier in his career.

I hope you are right about Bradham. He certainly has LOTS of physical tools. I hope that it translates this year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

My favorite players on this team the past ten years have been Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson. I think FJ just has had too much to fight against, and got too late of a start to have any chance. KW, has a very, very slight chance, if he can stay healthy and play at a very high level for another 6-7 years and make another 5-6 pro bowls. Mario Williams probably has a better chance based on the position he plays, but I have a stronger connection with KW having played his whole career here.

My favorite players on this team the past ten years have been Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson. I think FJ just has had too much to fight against, and got too late of a start to have any chance. KW, has a very, very slight chance, if he can stay healthy and play at a very high level for another 6-7 years and make another 5-6 pro bowls. Mario Williams probably has a better chance based on the position he plays, but I have a stronger connection with KW having played his whole career here.

I feel the same way. With me being pretty young during the super bowl run and therefore not getting very familiar with the players then until after the fact, Fred is absolutely my favorite Bill ever. Would love to see him for many more years, but everything has an end to it. Kyle is right there, too, but I see him aging quickly in the future here and only having 3 years left, if lucky. My 3rd choice would be Eric Wood, as soon as he lit up Maybin in OTAs and told him to give his money back haha.

I certainly buried the guy. I think that he was my candidate to be the whipping boy last year but I can't find the thread. I was so wrong!! He is good in run support, a great athlete with instincts and a nose for the football. Also, he can play man on a WR or TE when needed. In many ways, he the prototype for the modern saftey. I hope that he continues to develop and I feel bad for being so hard on the guy earlier in his career.

I hope you are right about Bradham. He certainly has LOTS of physical tools. I hope that it translates this year.

The Bills agree with you, I think. Reportedly they feel he is a better all-around safety than Byrd and while certain aspects of Byrd's game are elite and tough to replace, AW has more overall ability in how he can defend in so many different ways, as well as being a vocal and emotional leader on the field. FS is one of those positions where that is so critical.He is all in. Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bills agree with you, I think. Reportedly they feel he is a better all-around safety than Byrd and while certain aspects of Byrd's game are elite and tough to replace, AW has more overall ability in how he can defend in so many different ways, as well as being a vocal and emotional leader on the field. FS is one of those positions where that is so critical.He is all in.

I really believe this. If you were to tell me that I could have Byrd or AW from this point forward I would take AW. That is in no way sour grapes I just think that he can do more. He can cover more ground, hits harder and is WAY better in run support. That's JMO but I think that he is on the verge of being a special player.

wishing: EJ

actually has a chance:

Mario Williams (he has 76 career sacks in 8 seasons and needs to get over 150, which barring injury is doable, bruce played 19 seasons, Mario is a physical freak).

Sammy Watkins (i'm caught up in the hype).

while a few others are deserving of consideration, absolutely none of the current Bills have a chance.