Stephen Ross: NFL team will move to L.A. within five years

Yeah, probably his team that hasn't had a true sellout in over 5 years...maybe he and the sponsors are tired of buying 10-20,000 tickets a week and giving them out for free

Edited by matter2003

Yeah, probably his team that hasn't had a true sellout in over 5 years...maybe he and the sponsors are tired of buying 10-20,000 tickets a week and giving them out for free

I was going to say the same thing. They should just move the Dolphins or Jaguars out there. No real fanbase, very little impact on the community and economy, and hard time generating ticket sales. If those teams left, there wouldn't even be a protest.

If Ross ever moved the Dolphins, it would be a Cleveland Browns situation all over again...Dolphins fans may not be as hardore as some...but Miami is a huge sports city...if the fish ever start winning again, they will come. Much as we (or at least I ) hate them, the Dolphins still have a pretty big fan base, nationally. If any team moves to LA in the near future, it will be Jacksonville.

If Ross ever moved the Dolphins, it would be a Cleveland Browns situation all over again...Dolphins fans may not be as hardore as some...but Miami is a huge sports city...if the fish ever start winning again, they will come. Much as we (or at least I ) hate them, the Dolphins still have a pretty big fan base, nationally. If any team moves to LA in the near future, it will be Jacksonville.

Not even close to the same thing.

I live in south east FL. I've gone to a lot of Bills, Dolphins games, there are almost as many Biils fans as Dolphins fans. No one goes to Panthers or Marlins games and those that do are usually there to root for the opponent. The Heat has fans..

Teams most likely to move to LA are the three teams that were once there, Rams, Raiders and Chargers.

I understand that the NFL is a goliath compared to all other major sports in this country but does that mean we, as fans, have to be exposed to this kind of nonsense all the time? One day its a discussion about relocation, then it's expansion over seas, then it's expanding the playoffs. They always say "any publicity is good publicity" but for the NFL's case, they may need to rethink that. This goes well beyond being a Bills fan, it applies to all fans.

Say what you will about the NHL, MLB and the NBA but at least their avid fans can focus on the actual game more than NFL fans can. Goodell needs to instill a certain degree of normalcy back to this sport.

I understand that the NFL is a goliath compared to all other major sports in this country but does that mean we, as fans, have to be exposed to this kind of nonsense all the time? One day its a discussion about relocation, then it's expansion over seas, then it's expanding the playoffs. They always say "any publicity is good publicity" but for the NFL's case, they may need to rethink that. This goes well beyond being a Bills fan, it applies to all fans.

Say what you will about the NHL, MLB and the NBA but at least their avid fans can focus on the actual game more than NFL fans can. Goodell needs to instill a certain degree of normalcy back to this sport.

It's pretty easy to ignore plus most is speculation. Why worry about it? Life is too short. Training Camp starts soon!!

All of those leagues have had more teams move than the NFL. Atlanta alone has lost two NHL teams.

I live in south east FL. I've gone to a lot of Bills, Dolphins games, there are almost as many Biils fans as Dolphins fans. No one goes to Panthers or Marlins games and those that do are usually there to root for the opponent. The Heat has fans..

Teams most likely to move to LA are the three teams that were once there, Rams, Raiders and Chargers.

1) heat "fans" will soon vanish if they ever fall below a championship caliber team, IMO.

2) it is just mind blowing to me that the raiders are in Oakland. Two teams in the Bay Area is absurd.

very VERY well said! :thumbsup:

I live in Florida. Florida fans are more rabid when it comes to college football,rather than pro. I mean hard to get excited about the Bucs, Jags or Fish.

College Football is a religion down south.

Edited by oman128

I live in Florida. Florida fans are more rabid when it comes to college football,rather than pro. I mean hard to get excited about the Bucs, Jags or Fish.

College Football is a religion down south.

Best football game I've seen in ten years was Atlantic High vs Boca High. I think three kids from that game ended up in the NFL

It will probably be the Chargers or Raiders or both going to the Los Angeles. The Chargers are in a position to leave San Diego and the Raiders are year to year in Oakland. Both teams are only commited to stay through the 2014 season. There isn't any public support to build a new stadium for the Chargers and I doubt they could get it. The Chargers have a lot of fan support throughout Southern California, outside of San Diego.

It will probably be the Chargers or Raiders or both going to the Los Angeles. The Chargers are in a position to leave San Diego and the Raiders are year to year in Oakland. Both teams are only commited to stay through the 2014 season. There isn't any public support to build a new stadium for the Chargers and I doubt they could get it. The Chargers have a lot of fan support throughout Southern California, outside of San Diego.

California is giving no stadium funding period, and the NFL knows it. They absolutely can't afford it, its not even an option at this point. If they are moving to LA for a new stadium, they are going to be the ones funding it themselves

Edited by matter2003

IF anyone moves to LA, it will be: 1) Raiders, 2) Chargers.

I think the NFL is living in the past on this one. The demographics are not there for an NFL franchise. Their TV audience would rather watch soccer or a bull fight than an NFL game. AND as others have mentioned, there's no funding for a Stadium.

Best football game I've seen in ten years was Atlantic High vs Boca High. I think three kids from that game ended up in the NFL

The quality of high school football is outstanding in Florida. I think there were more Florida kids drafted in this past draft than any other state.

Not even close to the same thing.

Sorry, I should have clarified, like the Cleveland Browns, in the sense that they would get another team asap! Miami is becoming the Los Angeles of the east coast. Difference is, it is still a manageable enough size that some celebrity investors would bring another team there in no time. Also, maybe even more than California, Florida is football country. The Dolphins have too rich a tradition to just disappear that easily.

Edited by Buftex

I think the NFL is living in the past on this one. The demographics are not there for an NFL franchise. Their TV audience would rather watch soccer or a bull fight than an NFL game. AND as others have mentioned, there's no funding for a Stadium.

The Raiders had a chance to share the new stadium with the 49'ers but turned that opportunity down. They signed another year lease with the Oakland Coliseum, after that who knows.

The Chargers are an enigma. Are they getting a new stadium or not?

Don't count out the Rams moving back.

You are correct about no funding for a stadium. Unless the NFL wants to foot the bill for a new stadium, they better say hello to NFL football at the Rose Bowl or the L.A. Coliseum.

I don't know about the bull fight but this is correct. The Chargers attendance is related to their success. If they stink they won't sell out the stadium. In 2012 they had four of their eight games blacked out. Last year when the put up a playoff run only one of the eight was blacked out. I don't know about Oakland but they don't sell out the Coliseum. I think they tarp off the upper deck. Hockey with the Kings & Ducks fills the fall NFL void for Los Angeles. And it is correct there is no public money for stadiums and never will be.

The LA threat is the best way to get the rest of the teams to upgrade their stadiums. The Bills aren't going anywhere. The Fish aren't moving.

The thing that drives me crazy is how LA couldn't keep two teams there and they were constantly low in attendance, even though there are 4 million people there.

Well at least us Heat fans have at least 3-4 years of a championship caliber team to root for. :)

Go Heat!!

Yes, I'm sure you've been a die hard Heat fan since birth.

This just in: Most teams attendance is directly tied to the results on the field so looking at recent attendance #s is a poor indicator of long term fan support. Very few teams sell out stadiums for bad teams and any NFL team (and almost any team in any major sport) will sell out if the team is very good. Look no further than the Boston bandwagons. Foxboro was half empty 15 years ago and Bruins games were the same 5 years now. Now you can't touch tickets.

The Dolphins are still considered an important franchise in the NFL and rightly so, suggesting they move is ludicrous. Jax and St. Louis remain by far the best candidates for relocation.

Edited by KD in CT

Yes, I'm sure you've been a die hard Heat fan since birth.

This just in: Most teams attendance is directly tied to the results on the field so looking at recent attendance #s is a poor indicator of long term fan support. Very few teams sell out stadiums for bad teams and any NFL team (and almost any team in any major sport) will sell out if the team is very good. Look no further than the Boston bandwagons. Foxboro was half empty 15 years ago and Bruins games were the same 5 years now. Now you can't touch tickets.

The Dolphins are still considered an important franchise in the NFL and rightly so, suggesting they move is ludicrous. Jax and St. Louis remain by far the best candidates for relocation.

Also: Chicago Blackhawks and their bandwagon.

"Still, the Raiders can leave as soon as after the coming season, thanks to a one-year lease at the Coliseum.

Did not know this. How easy would that move be? Instead of, say, uprooting a WNY team.

Ummm, if you had read post # 23 in this thread, you wouldn't have had to read the article.

Move the Charges up Hwy 5 to San Clemente/Dana Point or Southern Orange County. Change the name to Southern California Chargers and be done with it. There is existing rapid transit for both fans, highways already built and an establish fan base for both cities. NFL gets an LA based team, Chargers get a new stadium and the NFL saves face by making a reasonable move 50 miles north versus the fallout of a major relocation from another city/market.