NFL networks coverage of Michael Sam

If he can announce to the world that he enjoys anal sex with men? Then is it cool for a straight guy to announce to the world that he enjoys anal sex with women? If so, where is our parade? I know that I am not alone here. Will male athletes be misunderstood if they admit to such a thing at a press conference? Will Mike Mayock speak of the need for dialogue on the issue? Should we keep some things private? Are we ready for a women's feet float in the Thanksgiving Day Parade? :beer:

I think we need a parade for homophobic idiots.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many kids before sam were drafted and got a congratulations from the POTUS?

I don't know if that is a reflection of our society, if that is a reflection of the significance of Sam or if it is a reflection of Obama. I am not going to let this be any more political then it is, but Obama had no reason to make any comment about the NFL draft and society has no business caring who Michael Sam chooses to have relations with.

but Obama had no reason to make any comment about the NFL draft and society has no business caring who Michael Sam chooses to have relations with.

This is such a lame and lazy way to view things. It's a weak attempt at being "tolerant."

It gets said a lot. The person saying it either believes, or wants those reading it to believe, that they actually support equality for gays, but you don't. It's not that supporters care that he's gay, it's that we know it's important. The people caring about his sexuality are those who are against him. The others who care about the situation care about the significance of this moment. It's a huge moment, no doubt.

This is such a lame and lazy way to view things. It's a weak attempt at being "tolerant."

It gets said a lot. The person saying it either believes, or wants those reading it to believe, that they actually support equality for gays, but you don't. It's not that supporters care that he's gay, it's that we know it's important. The people caring about his sexuality are those who are against him. The others who care about the situation care about the significance of this moment. It's a huge moment, no doubt.

why? why is it a huge moment?

landing on the moon was a huge moment

putting bacon on a cheeseburger was a huge moment

the beattles on late night was a huge moment

this is not a huge moment. this changes nothing in life, this changes nothing in society and if anything will only polarize the issues for many many millions of people who are offended by the simplicity of such a simple issue gaining such popularity in this country when it has no significance. it is a waste of a headline. it is news worthy but nothing of significance.

This is why no team wants to pick him!!!! Just shut up about it and let it go!!!! No one cares that he is gay!!!!

I really...I mean really like Rich Eisen normally...But I felt that last hour or more (it seemed like an eternity) of the Draft commentary was an effort by Rich, and the NFL Network, to get on the good side of what they figured was sure to turn into a public relations nightmare...Especially if Sam went undrafted...You could literally see Mike Mayock's frustration with having to have this lengthy conversation about Sam instead of talking about the players who were being Drafted...I could feel the negative energy...They pretty much glossed over the entire 7th round with the talk of Sam...And they had touched on it so often leading up to that I had memorized that comparison chart they kept using by the end of the 4th round...Everyone who really follows the Draft and NFL football, especially including the guys on that stage, knew there was a very good chance Sam would go undrafted...His measureables were terrible...His drills were worse...Sometimes great College players don't make it in the NFL with awesome measurables...Sam was a good College player with a slow 40 time, a laughable vertical, and he only did 17 reps...What exactly are NFL teams supposed to do? Draft him out of pity?

I really do wish Sam the best...He was a good College player...But the attention he drew to himself in this case certainly did not help when he was unable to back-up his potential with raw numbers...He's likely going to get handled by NFL linemen...It's a massive step up for special players...There is at least some discussion about a player like Clowney and how good he will be in the NFL...And Clowney is freaking Zeus compared to Sam...And what was with the Trent Cole comparisons by Jeremiah? Cole ran a 4.70 at his Pro Day and had a 38" vertical...Cole is obviously a much better natural athlete than Sam...And Cole has 79 career sacks in the NFL...I felt that was further pumping up Sam's potential unrealistically...

Whatever...That was literally the worst couple hours of NFL Draft coverage I've watched in over 25 years of being glued to every minute of the NFL Draft...It was painful... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

The only people who give a crap about this are people who somehow think not giving a crap about it makes you a homophobe.

Most people simply don't give a crap. But it doesn't matter. Because like it or not, you will be made to give a crap.

The only people who give a crap about this are people who somehow think not giving a crap about it makes you a homophobe.

Most people simply don't give a crap. But it doesn't matter. Because like it or not, you will be made to give a crap.

Well said as always... :thumbsup:

Kudos to Mike Mayock for treating this like a football story.

The Rams will be faced with a big problem if Sam isn't good enough to make the team. Just look at all the noise about Jason Campbell whom nobody took because he couldn't really contribute any more. Glad the Bills didn't fall into that trap.

What do you want to bet that the Rams are featured on Hard Knocks this year?

Since being a SEC Defensive Player of the Year and being the SEC sack leader have nothing to do with each other, I would bet not.

Jason White & Eric Crouch won Heisman

Trophies. What kind of pros did they make? The reality is that Sam is a tweener with poor athletic ability. He wasn't held back because he was gay; he was held back because he doesn't project well at the next level.

With that being said anybody not rooting for this kid needs to look in the mirror. He has overcome more in his life at 20 something than most people will encounter in 5 lifetimes. In addition, he was brave enough to come forward and pave the way for others to be themselves. Good luck to Michael Sam; I'm rooting for you!

Edited by Kirby Jackson

To those saying "I don't give a crap about this story," that's fine, and honestly it's totally understandable. But I'm assuming you don't give a crap not because you're a homophobe but because you actually couldn't care less if a player is gay or not. My question for you is, do you believe a sizable portion of the American population is anti-gay? If yes, don't you think that's a detriment to the emotional and general well-being of homosexuals in our country? The story is getting as much coverage as it is because our country as a whole does not openly embrace - or even tolerate - homosexuality. Whether he is successful or not, the Michael Sam story serves to inspire gay people and really any others who have been discriminated against, picked on, bullied, etc. to believe they can pursue their dreams in spite of these obstacles.

Nobody has to pay attention to this story, but the fact of the matter is it's important for the homosexual community. Nobody is asking you to be glued to a story like this, but it should at least be embraced as a positive development in our society.

Who f'in cares except liberal newswriters who are looking for a lazy way to fill their copy.

If he keeps his affections out of the locker room, who cares.

If he doesn't, then his harrassment will get him run out of there, just the same as if he was intruding on others in any other fashion that is unacceptable.

You got it Maryland Bills Fan. As if it's not also the lead sports story on Fox News. And I can't read through the ignorance on this thread (I actually thought the affection he showed with his buddy was over the top and blatant attention grabbing) but anyone who is questioning why this is news is a moron. Period, end of story. Just understand that if you were saying about Jackie Robinson, "I don't care what color he is, if he can play, he can play. Why is this a news story?" in 1947, you would've sounded completely ignorant then just like half the people on here sound today. And if you are insulted with the comparison just look at a guy like Richie Incognito. Can't imagine it would've been much easier for Michael Sam to play alongside a guy like that than it was for Jackie Robinson to play with some of his teammates.

how many kids before sam were drafted and got a congratulations from the POTUS?

I don't know if that is a reflection of our society, if that is a reflection of the significance of Sam or if it is a reflection of Obama. I am not going to let this be any more political then it is, but Obama had no reason to make any comment about the NFL draft and society has no business caring who Michael Sam chooses to have relations with.

Oh geez. If you people don't realize that this was/is an iconic moment in American sports history then I don't know what to tell you. Do you really have to bring Obama into this? Mitt Romney or anyone else this side of Michele Bachman would've wished Michael Sam the best just the same. And lastly, if you need proof that this is newsworthy, I guarantee you that every team's fansite has a hotly debated thread just like this one. A STORY THAT GENERATES PUBLIC INTEREST IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF NEWS. And finally, WRT your bolded text, that is the whole point. You're exactly right. Up until now, society has always cared. You may not have, but believe me, society does. Michael Sam is the living embodiment of people transitioning to no longer caring. That's why this is so significant. If society has never cared, as you insinuate, just like you insinuated that Marquise Goodwin is no better than TJ Graham all season, then all the gay athletes prior to Sam would've just come out as well. There is a reason they did not, which is what you clearly cannot wrap your head around.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

this is not a huge moment. this changes nothing in life, this changes nothing in society and if anything will only polarize the issues for many many millions of people who are offended by the simplicity of such a simple issue gaining such popularity in this country when it has no significance. it is a waste of a headline. it is news worthy but nothing of significance.

Societal tolerance does not equate to acceptance. While many could care less about sexual orientation because they truly have reached a point of acceptance, there are probably just as many who tolerate homosexuals out of conformity without actual belief in equality. The fact that the Rams drafted a player that was openly gay sends a message. The fact that Michael Sam was strong enough to be open and upfront about this (albeit, in the face of it likely being assumed even if he didn't confirm it) instead of trying to hide it while applying for a job with what could be equated with the epitome of male heterosexuality (and, unfortunately too often, stereotypical "frat boy stupidity"), conveys an important societal message about acceptance and being yourself. He may not turn out to be much of a football player, but like it or not he has sent a strong message as a role model, and it is a story worth following. It says something when even ESPN understands the significance of the moment.

Edited by transient

Societal tolerance does not equate to acceptance. While many could care less about sexual orientation because they truly have reached a point of acceptance, there are probably just as many who tolerate homosexuals out of conformity without actual belief in equality. The fact that the Rams drafted a player that was openly gay sends a message. The fact that Michael Sam was strong enough to be open and upfront about this (albeit, in the face of it likely being assumed even if he didn't confirm it) instead of trying to hide it while applying for a job with what could be equated with the epitome of male heterosexuality (and, unfortunately too often, stereotypical "frat boy stupidity"), conveys an important societal message about acceptance and being yourself. He may not turn out to be much of a football player, but like it or not he has sent a strong message as a role model, and it is a story worth following. It says something when even ESPN understands the significance of the moment.

Well stated. Can you even imagine how inspiring this must've been for some gay 15 year-old in middle America today who is afraid to be himself in school, seeing someone be so open and proud in the face of, as you put it, the epitome of male heterosexuality? Sadly, most people on this board are not grasping this very simple concept. All this being said, the cake eating display was a little much. Edited by metzelaars_lives

(I actually thought the affection he showed with his buddy was over the top and blatant attention grabbing)

How many draftees cried this weekend? If I'm not mistaken, the waterworks started with the first overall pick. How many other of those draft picks had as much of a personal stake in this weekend as well as a professional stake? I saw the reaction of someone who had taken on a cause that was bigger than himself finally have the opportunity to release months of stress and anxiety.

If you had not known his sexual orientation and had just been witness to a draft pick hanging out with his girlfriend finally get the call and display the same affection, would you have still thought his reaction was over the top?

Well said Metz, and transient. What I am getting from most (not all) of the people who are saying "who cares?" is that they are fine with gay people, as long as they stay in the closet.

Edited by Buftex

How many draftees cried this weekend? If I'm not mistaken, the waterworks started with the first overall pick. How many other of those draft picks had as much of a personal stake in this weekend as well as a professional stake? I saw the reaction of someone who had taken on a cause that was bigger than himself finally have the opportunity to release months of stress and anxiety.

If you had not known his sexual orientation and had just been witness to a draft pick hanging out with his girlfriend finally get the call and display the same affection, would you have still thought his reaction was over the top?

Again, I just watched the cake eating scene and if a straight player did that with his girlfriend, it would've been extremely awkward just the same. I hope he takes some good natured ribbing for it just the same way a straight player would. We're on the same side on this issue, trust me. Also, great avatar by the way. Wonder how many people have picked up on that.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

jboyst, I think you are missing the point on this one... if you were gay you might feel a lot different, and this might seem a lot more significant to you than putting bacon on a cheeseburger. So a significant sector of our society should continue to live in the shadows, so it won't upset the few people who are still prone toward getting upset about homosexuality?

Again, I just watched the cake eating scene and if a straight player did that with his girlfriend, it would've been extremely awkward just the same. I hope he takes some good natured ribbing for it just the same way a straight player would. We're on the same side on this issue, trust me. Also, great avatar by the way. Wonder how many people have picked up on that.

Jim Kelly with a twist!

Again, I just watched the cake eating scene and if a straight player did that with his girlfriend, it would've been extremely awkward just the same. I hope he takes some good natured ribbing for it just the same way a straight player would. We're on the same side on this issue, trust me.

I must have missed the cake eating. I was referring to the phone call and hand holding that was on a loop on ESPN. Your initial post about the cake eating posted as I was typing my second.

By the end of the 7th round, I was about burnt on draft coverage, and I turned it off after Warren Sapp mentioned Sammy Watkins being the best gamble of the weekend, given that the offense would be so explosive featuring him paired with Stevie Johnson (at which point everyone else on the set pointed out that he was traded to SF), and Fred Taylor (which everyone else must have just chalked up to more drivel from the big dummy, and let it ride).

I must have missed the cake eating. I was referring to the phone call and hand holding that was on a loop on ESPN. Your initial post about the cake eating posted as I was typing my second.

By the end of the 7th round, I was about burnt on draft coverage, and I turned it off after Warren Sapp mentioned Sammy Watkins being the best gamble of the weekend, given that the offense would be so explosive featuring him paired with Stevie Johnson (at which point everyone else on the set pointed out that he was traded to SF), and Fred Taylor (which everyone else must have just chalked up to more drivel from the big dummy, and let it ride).

Yeah you should watch it, it's kind of insane.

Honestly, I was a tad grossed out.

There, I admitted it.... I found all that toungue and wedding cake a bit excessive.

I woulda been OK with a little PDA, but I think they took it too far.

Michael Sam was a great college player. I think he can make a good pro. -Hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

Or because he is an undersized tweener with no real fit in the NFL at his size and weight. That could probably be it.

Ding! Coupled with his poor showing at the Combine in February.

first off list of a few undersized players

mike vick

russ wilson

london fletcher

marquise goodwin

nickell roby

kyle williams

ed reed

desean jackson

bob sanders

antoine winfield

i understand none of them but one off the top of my head are linemen but it can be done

ok and bridgewater had a poor showing and he went 1st round? i mean bridgewater looked like a guy who wasnt ready to play arena football at his pro day... its not because of a poor showing... SEC PLAYER OF THE YEAR... he fell because he likes dudes. that brings extra attention, which is unfortunate, because... who cares? But seriously did you see the awkwardness of that 5 second pause of the espn panel after he kissed his boyfriend a couple of times? it was comical how uncomfortable they were.. A lot of "sports" men are just not ready for that.. I hope he rips sh*t up this year for real and shows why he was SEC POY

Edited by podge4prez

ok and bridgewater had a poor showing and he went 1st round? i mean bridgewater looked like a guy who wasnt ready to play arena football at his pro day... its not because of a poor showing... SEC PLAYER OF THE YEAR... he fell because he likes dudes. that brings extra attention, which is unfortunate, because... who cares? But seriously did you see the awkwardness of that 5 second pause of the espn panel after he kissed his boyfriend a couple of times? it was comical how uncomfortable they were.. A lot of "sports" men are just not ready for that.. I hope he rips sh*t up this year for real and shows why he was SEC POY

Bridgewater demonstrated NFL caliber QB skills in real competition with his command of a pro style offense, the ability to read defenses, throw every pass in the route tree with timing, anticipation, accuracy, touch, etc. vs offseason "pro day" performance that is pretty damn meaningless IMO.

OTOH, Michael Sam's success as a college DE does not necessarily translate to NFL success given his poor combine workout measurables that instead say that he most likely will not be a significant NFL player.

Stop trying to equate the two players' scenarios because they are simply not comparable from a purely football perspective.

If Michael Sam is good enough to make it in the NFL, good for him. We'll all be bombarded with the hype of his story and I'm already sick of it just like I was/am with the Tebow and Manziel coverage ad nauseam. :sick:

Exhibit A:

@jthom1

Rams have already received Michael Sam interview requests from 35 media outlets throughout the U.S. and one from Australia.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Bridgewater demonstrated NFL caliber QB skills in real competition with his command of a pro style offense, the ability to read defenses, throw every pass in the route tree with timing, anticipation, accuracy, touch, etc. vs offseason "pro day" performance that is pretty damn meaningless IMO.

OTOH, Michael Sam's success as a college DE does not necessarily translate to NFL success given his poor combine workout measurables that instead say that he most likely will not be a significant NFL player.

Stop trying to equate the two players' scenarios because they are simply not comparable from a purely football perspective.

If Michael Sam is good enough to make it in the NFL, good for him. We'll all be bombarded with the hype of his story and I'm already sick of it just like I was/am with the Tebow and Manziel coverage ad nauseam. :sick:

Exhibit A:

@jthom1

Rams have already received Michael Sam interview requests from 35 media outlets throughout the U.S. and one from Australia.

dude where did you copy and paste that from? so teddys a gamer is what your saying... cool. but sam isnt? and since he had a poor combine hes gonna be a bad player? im pretty sure he showed some bomb ass skills when he racked up the sec player of the year award.. your reasoning blows dude

dude where did you copy and paste that from? so teddys a gamer is what your saying... cool. but sam isnt? and since he had a poor combine hes gonna be a bad player? im pretty sure he showed some bomb ass skills when he racked up the sec player of the year award.. your reasoning blows dude

Yeah OK. :lol: How many Heisman Trophy winning QBs never made it in the NFL? You are obviously a football novice. Study up and get back to me when you have a real idea of how college success translates to the NFL. Goodbye now.

I find it hilarious that on a day when literally everything has been forced into a quantifiable state(Ht. Wt. 40 time. Speed off the edge. Bend. Length.), when even "intangibles" become "measurable"....we are suddenly supposed to forget all that, because Sam is gay. :lol: Gay: an "intangible", that cannot be quantified, and is of absolutely no value to play on the field. Of course, it has infinite value as a marketing tool: to the dopey, and the dopey that attend to the dopey.

This is a sham. It's highly INEQUITABLE, and most of all to Michael Sam. If Sam is being drafted as an NFL/Rams PR move, then I fail to see how this advances anything for anyone. Let him be subject to the exact same process as everyone else, and leave his sexual orientation aside. Anything else is a disservice to literally everyone involved.

It seems some are putting their own need to drive their agenda, ahead of the good of Michael Sam himself, and I fear that is only going to end in chaos, and real stupidity here. I wonder: in the future, will anyone accept the blame, for hyping up this guy, his sexuality, and casting aspertions on the motives of anyone who says: "he just can't get it done in the NFL" for football reasons, if Sam crashes and burns? Or, will they only take the credit( :rolleyes:) for being "morallly superior" today?

I also find this hilariously obtuse:

Sorry, but this is pseudo-intellectual farce. :lol:

The premise of this farce: establishing acceptance of all, real acceptance, not lip service, and therefore real equality, is the goal. But then this goes on to characterize every "frat boy" as the same. And what's worse? Uses the very word "stereotypical" to do it. :lol: That's hilariously self-unaware irony.

I wonder: what is the process for any "stupid frat boy", to gain acceptance from: transient? Or, are they all doomed to being pre-judged as "stupid"? Apparently "frat boys" not only can't be accepted, then can't even be tolerated. :rolleyes: And, transient has taken it upon himeself/herself to establish this "standard" for the rest of us, based on: "we all know how "frat boys" are". :lol:

As I said: intellectual farce, and hilariously ironic.

The premise is also retarded. There is no "right to acceptance", and there must not be, in a country that espouses "equality". Real equality depends on allowing for diference of opinion, beliefs, and ideologies. We cannot be equal if some opionions, beliefs, and ideologies are deemed to be "correct" or "superior" while others are not, and therefore, those who hold the former are treated differently, and better, than those that hold the latter. As long as the latter are called names, denigrated, excoriated....then we are merely a representative tyranny, and there is no real equality.

No. Tolerance is what we all signed up for, and that's all. We must not and cannot force acceptance upon anyone.

Otherwise we CREATE the very "false acceptance" the premise of this farce has identified, and a whole lot of resentment to boot.

QED This is an intellectual farce, because it espouses causing the very problem it seeks to solve.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Good for him being gay, but I turned on NFLN just now to see about the early life he had. A brother shot, a sister drown, a brother disappeared, two in jail, and some other stuff to the rest... the kid definitely rose above the surroundings and succeeded. Good for him, that he is gay, I just don't give a crap. To me it's not different then him being black, a man, or having two thumbs.

I honestly really hate people with two thumbs.

It's a huge moment because there are still a lot of places where gay people are beaten and murdered only because they are gay. His drafting and being honest about who he is has plenty of significance to young people who are gay.

The fact that it's polarizing is the reason that it is significant. It's a lot tougher to be a bigot when you have to face it every single day.

Whether he got picked thru the draft or became an UDFA, Sam now has an opportunity to make the Rams...I tend to feel that team don't want the media circus that will accompany him when he goes to training camp...Just hope he makes the team or once again we will be hearing how the league is homophobic,, He has the chance to know show what he has on an NFL field and thats all that matters...

Honestly, I was a tad grossed out.

There, I admitted it.... I found all that toungue and wedding cake a bit excessive.

I woulda been OK with a little PDA, but I think they took it too far.

Michael Sam was a great college player. I think he can make a good pro. -Hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

Same here,3 times sucking face on ESPN was too much. Not gonna make it in the NFL. Too soft and slow as a player.

I also find this hilariously obtuse:

Sorry, but this is pseudo-intellectual farce. :lol:

The premise of this farce: establishing acceptance of all, real acceptance, not lip service, and therefore real equality, is the goal. But then this goes on to characterize every "frat boy" as the same. And what's worse? Uses the very word "stereotypical" to do it. :lol: That's hilariously self-unaware irony.

I wonder: what is the process for any "stupid frat boy", to gain acceptance from: transient? Or, are they all doomed to being pre-judged as "stupid"? Apparently "frat boys" not only can't be accepted, then can't even be tolerated. :rolleyes: And, transient has taken it upon himeself/herself to establish this "standard" for the rest of us, based on: "we all know how "frat boys" are". :lol:

As I said: intellectual farce, and hilariously ironic.

The premise is also retarded. There is no "right to acceptance", and there must not be, in a country that espouses "equality". Real equality depends on allowing for diference of opinion, beliefs, and ideologies. We cannot be equal if some opionions, beliefs, and ideologies are deemed to be "correct" or "superior" while others are not, and therefore, those who hold the former are treated differently, and better, than those that hold the latter. As long as the latter are called names, denigrated, excoriated....then we are merely a representative tyranny, and there is no real equality.

No. Tolerance is what we all signed up for, and that's all. We must not and cannot force acceptance upon anyone.

Otherwise we CREATE the very "false acceptance" the premise of this farce has identified, and a whole lot of resentment to boot.

QED This is an intellectual farce, because it espouses causing the very problem it seeks to solve.

As someone who can appreciate irony, I'm sure you can appreciate its presence in the fact that you've used the terms obtuse, pseudo-intellectual, farce, self-unaware, and "retarded" to characterize the content of my post...

The only one that cares this guy is gay is the media. Nobody gives a crap so stop talking about it. We only care if you can play football. Chances are we had some gay players during our Super Bowl run. Big deal, all we cared about was winning. Does anyone really think this guy is the first? I can't wait until this is a non issue (along with racism)

I love these idiots who keep saying nobody cares. It's a major thing. I know you're protected and privileged life is comfortable, but it's not that way for everybody.

If this is a story at all it's only because you have a mindset predisposed to it being a story.

Quite so. I can't think of anyone less tolerant than those attempting to enforce "tolerance."

If the kid can help an NFL team win, he'll play in the NFL. If not, he won't. This is big money business at the highest level; that people believe an NFL team would purposely lessen their chances to win and sell ever more merchandise is ludicrous.

....do you believe a sizable portion of the American population is anti-gay? If yes, don't you think that's a detriment to the emotional and general well-being of homosexuals in our country? The story is getting as much coverage as it is because our country as a whole does not openly embrace - or even tolerate - homosexuality. Whether he is successful or not, the Michael Sam story serves to inspire gay people and really any others who have been discriminated against, picked on, bullied, etc. to believe they can pursue their dreams in spite of these obstacles.

Nobody has to pay attention to this story, but the fact of the matter is it's important for the homosexual community. Nobody is asking you to be glued to a story like this, but it should at least be embraced as a positive development in our society.

This comment hits the nail on the head.