I can't believe we reached for EJ with this amazing class of QBs..

Mr Football is going to have the proverbial chip and he has talent, don't dismiss him just because 32 teams did one round. He could Russel Wilson the world and turn out to be Fran Tarkenton 2.0.

He is nothing like Russell Wilson between the ears, unfortunately.

Not sure I understand the basis for the sarcasm. Manuel has shown almost nothing (yet). Manziel and Bortles have obviously shown nothing yet. The Browns ended up with 3 players in the first round, and by a combination of GM draft pick trading skill and luck ended up with what I have to believe are the exact players they wanted, including getting what some if not most believe was the best QB in the class. And in a position of their greatest need. And if that wasn't enough, ended up with an additional 1st round pick next year in the process.

No one knows how it will end up. But crowing about the Manuel pick last season seems premature at best.

Edited by CodeMonkey

:rolleyes:

There are a lot of them left & i think there will be some left in the late rounds due to there personal situations .

If Whaley is as smart of a football guy as it seems he is turning out to be then i think he will be smart enough to realize especially if a top performing QB is sitting there for the taking in a late round & is a value he can't pass up he will grab one as a really good back up plan .

Cause let's face it if you try to go on what we saw from EJ last year there's not a lot on that tape that say's

"This is Your Guy" !!

:rolleyes:

Fair enough...But none of them has played a down in the NFL yet...And EJ has only played 10 games...So it's not like this is over or anything...

For what it's worth I feel EJ is every bit as good a prospect as the 3 that went last night...And I think the crap spewed this year by old curmudgeons like Charlie Casserly is ridiculous... B-)

What 3 players did the Browns get?

Manziel

Justin Gilbert (CB)

Wow there were only 2! With all the wheeling dealing I thought there were 3!

(But you could say 3 if you include the Bills 1st next draft ;) )

Also, saw this quote while I was Googling ...

Within 25 minutes of Manziel's selection, the team had sold 200 new season tickets and had 300 renewed.

Seems like he is good for ticket sales if nothing else.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Cause let's face it if you try to go on what we saw from EJ last year there's not a lot on that tape that say's

"This is Your Guy" !!

80-yard TD drive in last 2:00 against Panthers' D in his 2nd pro start without the benefit of a full training camp?

They're taking away any excuses. If the guy can stay healthy, we'll know what we have soon enough.

Mr Football is going to have the proverbial chip and he has talent, don't dismiss him just because 32 teams did one round. He could Russel Wilson the world and turn out to be Fran Tarkenton 2.0.

I assume you mean 21 teams, including the one that drafted him.

The world is throwing hate at the Bills for what we gave up to get Watkins... yet I don't see anyone upset with the Browns. They did give up a 4th? to move up one slot (9-8)... which was a waste. Also, they moved up into the end of the first by giving up a 3rd. Two potential players they threw away for no reason.

Nobody in the world is talking about this.

I'm hoping we take one of Savage, McCaron, or Murry later in the draft. We need a backup plan now that we don't have a 1st round pick next year. However, perhaps Whaley is sensing a trend that good QB's are falling into the 2nd round, and figures that if EJ does not pan out next year, he can either acquire a veteran FA (anyone should be able to throw to this group of WR's!) or a rookie w/ the 2nd round pick next year.

Not sure I understand the basis for the sarcasm. Manuel has shown almost nothing (yet). Manziel and Bortles have obviously shown nothing yet. The Browns ended up with 3 players in the first round, and by a combination of GM draft pick trading skill and luck ended up with what I have to believe are the exact players they wanted, including getting what some if not most believe was the best QB in the class. And in a position of their greatest need. And if that wasn't enough, ended up with an additional 1st round pick next year in the process.

No one knows how it will end up. But crowing about the Manuel pick last season seems premature at best.

Shown nothing except for a great head on his shoulders and a nose for the end zone when the game is on the line, I agree, he's shown practically nothing against the Panthers, a second time against the Jets, against the Falcons (twice but his teammates hung him out to dry), a competitive debut against the best team in the division ten years running. Absolutely nothing.

The world is throwing hate at the Bills for what we gave up to get Watkins... yet I don't see anyone upset with the Browns. They did give up a 4th? to move up one slot (9-8)... which was a waste. Also, they moved up into the end of the first by giving up a 3rd. Two potential players they threw away for no reason.

That had to be one of the most ridiculous trades I've ever seen. Why did they give up a 4th to move up one spot. There was no way the Vikings were going to take that guy. Your spot on about this. I was wondering why no one pointed it out at the time.

This I agree with!

I agree with the OP. Manuel was a ridiculous reach, even trading back to get him still in the 1st round. Hoping we take another one this draft with more/any promise.. :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous!

Certainly agree with this. The Browns made out like bandits.

That had to be one of the most ridiculous trades I've ever seen. Why did they give up a 4th to move up one spot. There was no way the Vikings were going to take that guy. Your spot on about this. I was wondering why no one pointed it out at the time.

I mostly agree. This only makes sense if the Vikings told the Browns someone was offering a 5th rounder to jump in front of them.

The Browns drafted a QB for their fans. The range of opinion on Johnny Football runs the complete gamut. He is FAR from a lock to be even a competent pro QB, and was a big risk.

The Bills have the "luxury" of believing they already have their QB (please don't debate this; I'm talking about how THEY feel, not the fans).

The teams are in different positions, and there are positives and negatives for each organization with this trade. We won't know who "won" this deal for years.

The one thing you do need to remember about Manuel is they traded back for him & got Kiko with that extra pick. This will be a big year for EJ. If he flames out this year more then likely the coaching staff will be out & he is going to be fighting for a roster spot next summer.

Yeah, Richardson/Weeden Part 2. And, I like Johnny. But seriously, a CB who many think is the third or fourth best one. Descibed as a "pile Inspector". Come on.

I like Manuel better than any of the QBs in the draft this year, personally.

But I'm no "expert".

Absolutely spot on. Don't get all the hating on EJ from some of the so-called experts. The guy has shown more than people have given him credit for.

The Browns drafted a QB for their fans. The range of opinion on Johnny Football runs the complete gamut. He is FAR from a lock to be even a competent pro QB, and was a big risk.

The Bills have the "luxury" of believing they already have their QB (please don't debate this; I'm talking about how THEY feel, not the fans).

The teams are in different positions, and there are positives and negatives for each organization with this trade. We won't know who "won" this deal for years.

I have absolutely no desire to debate Manuel ant further until we see more out of him in the preseason. But, it's weird to tell me not to debate Manuel while qualifying Manziel as debatable, for the sake of this comparison.

At any rate, I was really talking about how well the Browns traded draft spots. They got the players they wanted (that was your point about not debating Manuel-- the player the coaches want) and they have set themselves up for next years draft with a net gain of picks.

Shown nothing except for a great head on his shoulders and a nose for the end zone when the game is on the line, I agree, he's shown practically nothing against the Panthers, a second time against the Jets, against the Falcons (twice but his teammates hung him out to dry), a competitive debut against the best team in the division ten years running. Absolutely nothing.

:worthy:

If he finished the Cleveland game that they were rolling the Browns up in while he was QBing, if Stevie and Chandler didn’t fumble the rock vs. Atlanta, If the D could stop Brady during the last seconds of opening day vs. the Pats, If Justin Rogers didn't get toasted, baked, broiled and fried vs. the Jets in Jersey, EJ ’isn’t 4-6 as a starter. He is 7-3, maybe 8-2 as a starter. And each of those games I mentioned, EJ wasn’t perfect, but played well enough for the Bills to win. This narrative that he showed nothing is utter BS. He had some outright stinkers too: Pitt and Tampa Bay come to mind. Sounds like a rookie QB. But he was good enough to win with more than he wasn’t. And that’s even with his inaccuracies and flaws.

Edited by purple haze

He made some good plays, and at least as many horrific plays. Was inconsistent (being kind) with the long ball. And couldn't stay on the field.

It looks like the Bills are trying to give him everything he needs to succeed with the trade up last night. And we will know in the next season or two if the Bills have their starting QB or not. For me, the jury is very much still out.

Too early to call him a bust, but equally too early to put him in the HOF as well.

Edited by CodeMonkey

was below average to average when he started.

Wait... what? Calling BS on this. He had 4-5 games where he performed very well imo. He also had his fair share of struggles in other games. But that's to be expected, considering he was a rookie.

EJ is a big strong guy with huge upside. He needs to put it all together and will be given the opportunity.

Franchise QBs are hard to find and that was proven last night. Manziel is the next Doug Flutie...loved Flutie but was he worth a 1st Rd pick? Let's see how Bortles pans out but he sounds similar to EJ but with less tools. Everyone of the QBs in this draft have holes and need to develop. EJ can be compared favorably to any of them.

The Watkins pick is showing the Bills will give EJ every chance. Sammy will touch the ball as a runner, returner and receiver. He will score touchdowns and be the guy...The Bills haven't a The Guy since Eric Moulds. Great pick and the 2015 draft most likely will not be as strong as this years so good trade.

The world is throwing hate at the Bills for what we gave up to get Watkins... yet I don't see anyone upset with the Browns. They did give up a 4th? to move up one slot (9-8)... which was a waste. Also, they moved up into the end of the first by giving up a 3rd. Two potential players they threw away for no reason. Nobody in the world is talking about this.

Naw, see 'cause dem Brownies dey know dere stuff. Dems a bunch a smart fellas. The Bills FO, not so much. You know... wash, rinse, repeat.

How much of this Manziel stuff....

....is not that far removed from the "Rocky effect"?

I mean: I wonder how the average Manziel supporter grades out...in terms of height/wieght? :lol:

I mean I've seen the "Rocky effect" cause more than a few shorter/smaller dudes think they have a "shot at the title"...in all the wrong places: like Mardi Gras, Spring Break, Tijuana, Metallica Shows, Christmas shopping, etc.

I'm not saying anything about Manziel, I just wonder what I wonder. There's a lot of research....