Stevie Johnson Trade Value

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy to get a 3rd rounder and be rid of him.

Well, that's not a very good idea. So because you are emotionally upset at Stevie for something (didn't come to your sleepover?), you want to 'just get rid of him'. That doesn't make any sense. you don't toss away talented players because of ???

Edited by jeremy2020

Well, that's not a very good idea. So because you are emotionally upset at Stevie for something (didn't come to your sleepover?), you want to 'just get rid of him'. That doesn't make any sense. you don't toss away talented players because of ???

Why do you assume I am emotionally upset at Stevie? Seems like a strange assumption.

He's not that good and isn't a good fit for this team moving forward. The writing is on the wall. It's better to get a 4th than nothing for him.

Not being facetious. I don't think he nets higher than a 6th round pick- maybe not even that high. Who gives up a draft pick for a WR that wasn't very good last year, has only one year left on a big contract, may or may not have attitude issues(for the record I don't think he does), and his best years are long gone....

Combination of his personality, high cap number, and last year's slump, I would be surprised if we got more than a 5th for him.

^this

Still worth it though, this team needs an infusion of youth and focus.

I disagree. Whatever 5-6th rounder is likely to be camp fodder. I'd rather have a decent #2 WR like SJ

With all the high draft choices on the roster, wouldn't be surprised at all if they do try and trade him. Unless he is starting, who do you cut to keep him? Bottom receiver or 2 have to be able to play special teams. That mans Goodwin and Graham cant hold that spot. With Woods, Williams and now Watkins who do you cut if don't trade Johnson?

Why do you assume I am emotionally upset at Stevie? Seems like a strange assumption.

He's not that good and isn't a good fit for this team moving forward. The writing is on the wall. It's better to get a 4th than nothing for him.

Just because that's your opinion doesn't make it true. Three out of the last four years he's ranked 11th, 19th, and 18th in yards. But yeah, a top 20 WR isn't very good. Don't let facts get in your way of getting rid of him.

I'd rather keep Stevie now, and let him compete vs Mike Williams for his spot on the Bills. He'd be playing for NFL career money at that point. His value is potentially at its highest now, but if he is relegated to a 2nd, or 3rd receiver, then he will have to step up his production to get a legitimate contract in the future. I'm stoked with this pick, but we have to gauge Stevie's feelings on it and being in Buffalo before we simply ship him away

With all the high draft choices on the roster, wouldn't be surprised at all if they do try and trade him. Unless he is starting, who do you cut to keep him? Bottom receiver or 2 have to be able to play special teams. That mans Goodwin and Graham cant hold that spot. With Woods, Williams and now Watkins who do you cut if don't trade Johnson?

The depth chart would be (with the top having lots of varying packages) -- Johnson, Williams, Watkins, woods and then Goodwin in spot duty and special teams with Easley, tj and the rest fighting for the last spot- edge to Easley as a special teams ace since we are pretty stocked 5 deep with WR talent

Not being facetious. I don't think he nets higher than a 6th round pick- maybe not even that high. Who gives up a draft pick for a WR that wasn't very good last year, has only one year left on a big contract, may or may not have attitude issues(for the record I don't think he does), and his best years are long gone....

He's 27 how in the world do you come up with "his best years are long gone"? Did you see our QB's last year? Yes his numbers dropped off and he was often injured only playing 12 games, but that statement is beyond absurd.

How does he have one year left on a 5 year contract signed in 2012?

Edited by Triple Threat

Other then a few things... like

He's clearly on the way out

I really cannot take this seriously.

He is too young, too talented and affordable as can be. His trade value is not worth more then his value to our team.

Get out of the clouds. Mike Williams is hardly more then 50/50 to finish the season, and less to be on the roster in 2015. Graham, Goodwin, and Robert Woods are not much of anything to hold water in. And I really don't need to mention anyone else, because as far as I am concerned there is no one else for WR. And, I mean no disrespect to Easley. I want him on this teams as a special teamer.

I like the idea of Woods, Watkins, Williams, Stevie & Goodwin as our primary 5 WRs. Graham can go from what I've seen so far and we still have Easley that can fill in for injuries and Kaufmann on the PS that can be moved up if need be. Now if we can solidify the OL to open up holes for the RBs and give the QB some time, we should be to being a better team.

1. I said we should trade Stevie before the season even ended.

2. I was a big believer in SJ early on, even on draft night when we took him.

3. He has played his way out of my support.

4. He is one dimensional...only a good route runner. He isn't physical, he isn't fast, he doesn't go up for balls, he doesn't have consistent hands, and he isn't clutch.

Now we are suddenly very deep at WR and we should move him for something of value. I think the ceiling on him is maybe a 4th but could be as low as 5th or 6th.

Here is an idea...package Stevie and our 4th to get another 2nd rounder and go TE and OL in the 2nd round.

Everyone keeps talking about having too many receivers now. What happens if we determine Williams isn't worth the $6million next year? In addition do we really take graham or Easley over Stevie?

People are jumping the gun. Let's see how they all work together this year before we start throwing good players away.

Keep Stevie. Have weapons. Talent is good to have in sporting events.

If you keep him, who plays? I would much rather see Watkins on the field. I would rather have Woods on the field. Behind those two, I would rather have Goodwin who can take the top off the defense. Then, alternating with him I would rather see big Mike Williams. That would leave Stevie as the highest paid 5th WR in NFL history.

Nothing against Stevie, but he would be 5th on my depth chart on this team as it sits.

If you keep him, who plays? I would much rather see Watkins on the field. I would rather have Woods on the field. Behind those two, I would rather have Goodwin who can take the top off the defense. Then, alternating with him I would rather see big Mike Williams. That would leave Stevie as the highest paid 5th WR in NFL history.

Nothing against Stevie, but he would be 5th on my depth chart on this team as it sits.

Your idea of getting rid of Stevie is IMO counterproductive. Let's not anoint Goodwin and Williams ahead of him just yet or even Woods for that matter. Why can't we wait and see how these young players develop and be sure before hoping? We're strong at WR with possibilities but nothing proven yet. We have the cap room and when it's the right time to show the players the door lets do that. After this year would be an appropriate time to think about these things.

Edited by Triple Threat

Alphadawg, you are falling into the hype and are jumping with no chute. You are placing 4 receivers who have not done better than Stevie Johnson a single year ahead of him on the depth chart. I have the same high hopes for our receiver core too, but I would rather have Stevie than a 4th round pick.

If he's the odd man out in their plans, I'd rather them shop him now and get a day two pick rather than wait around until training camp.

Durability issues are a concern with Stevie. That said Woods & Goodwin also missed time last year. I'd keep Stevie for depth & the simple fact that the other WRs need to be challenged, not anointed as someone said earlier.

Alphadawg, you are falling into the hype and are jumping with no chute. You are placing 4 receivers who have not done better than Stevie Johnson a single year ahead of him on the depth chart. I have the same high hopes for our receiver core too, but I would rather have Stevie than a 4th round pick.

What has Stevie done? Before someone jumps in and screams 3 1000 yard seasons...lets point out a few things:

1. He BARELY broke 1000 yards, and has never reached 1100 ever in his career. 1000 yards has not been significant for a #1 WR in 2 decades.

2. He was the #1 WR on a pass happy offense that was always behind. Yet he never broke 1100 yards.

3. He compiled a large amount of his stats in garbage time during blow out losses...already showed the math on that in other threads.

4. He has come up short or flat out lost us several games with dropped passes.

Lets be honest...its pretty reasonable to assume that with the same number of pass attempts to Woods in any of Stevies 1000 yard seasons, he would have also broke 1000 yards and likely had better stats.

Im not falling for any hype. I already think Woods is the better WR. He's a polished route runner and he has BETTER hands and more play making ability IMO. Watkins is the only unknown, but I can tell you that I would rather roll with his potential than Stevies mediocre play.

I didn't say he is the 5th best WR, I said he is 5th on my depth chart...big difference.

1 - Woods

2 - Watkins

3 - Goodwin: Would rather have Goodwin with his hands and take the top off the D talent and speed as the 3rd WR than Stevie.

4 - Williams: Would rather see Mike Williams come in as the 3rd or 4th WR, especially in red zone, because of his size and hands.

5 - Stevie: Here is where I would put Stevie. He is talented enough to be a #2 WR somewhere, but here, I like Woods and Watkins as our starters, much much more upside. In the slot I think Goodwin compliments Woods and Watkins better because he brings a unique dynamic of elite speed with good hands. And Mike Williams brings size and red zone ability, so would prefer Mike to Stevie as well.

So, he isn't the 5th best WR necessarily, but I wouldn't start him over Watkins and Woods and if you start those two, then the 3rd guy needs to be a guy who adds a different dimension like Goodwin or Williams.

All Stevie does well is run good routes. He's always got soft tissue issues with his legs...he comes up short in big moments...he's inconsistent...he doesn't blow by anyone...he doesn't go up for balls...he drops too many passes...and he isn't open when coverage is tight.

Trade him, let the young guys get the reps and develop and use the pick to fill more holes. And this from a guy who was a big supporter of his early in his career.

Other then a few things... like

I really cannot take this seriously.

He is too young, too talented and affordable as can be. His trade value is not worth more then his value to our team.

Get out of the clouds. Mike Williams is hardly more then 50/50 to finish the season, and less to be on the roster in 2015. Graham, Goodwin, and Robert Woods are not much of anything to hold water in. And I really don't need to mention anyone else, because as far as I am concerned there is no one else for WR. And, I mean no disrespect to Easley. I want him on this teams as a special teamer.

For those who want to keep Stevie...who sits so he can play?

You aren't sitting Watkins, especially after what we gave up to get him.

I guess you could sit Woods, but why would you want to stunt the growth of such a talented WR?

You could sit Goodwin, but you are taking away a very powerful and unique weapon that adds a dimension no other WR on this team can do and stunt his growth as well.

You could sit Williams...this is reasonable, however, he is still young and has already had better seasons than Stevie and brings a dimension also unique to him over the other top WR's on this team...SIZE and red zone ability.

So, who sits if they are all healthy? Personally I like the potential of a 3 wide set of Woods/Watkins/Goodwin over Woods/Watkins/Stevie.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Because of Watkins, obviously Stevie becomes expendable.

There are numerous ways to look at this. And I assume the Bills will look at them all.

Whaley in charge is a different kind of bird than the Bills have had in quite some time. Since he had a very good first draft (trading down and getting the QB they wanted plus Kiko), as well as the Hughes for Sheppard trade, i will give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Steelers, where he came from, were always a whole is better than the sum of its parts team. To me, the combination of Watkins as the #1 with extreme talent/speed, along with MWilliams the big productive talented #2, with RWoods the reliable possession guy with some speed, AND Goodwin the X Factor with ridiculous speed and talent is a much better foursome than Stevie and MWilliams together.

They are not the same kind of player but they are the same kind of threat, a top 2 but a lower ed 1. Stevie's value is getting rid of the contract, and playing the same position or threat as MWilliams.

His trade value shouldnt be determined at all by his age or production or talent. But rather how he makes the team better. Until we drafted Watkins, I wanted us to keep Stevie. Right now, Stevie and MWilliams are redundant. His value as trade bait is packaging him with your two to move up, or with your three to move up.

By itself, it won't be worth it because of his talent. But in context, trying to make the team better, he could be very valuable. He's a top 44 player... it's inarguable... and probably top 32-35 based on production. If we offer Stevie and our number 2 we could move up, or Stevie and our 3 to move up.

Are you nuts this new kid is going to send Stevie to the hall.

No matter what metric you want to use, in the four years that Stevie has started (which is actually less than four), he is a top 30 WR. Just by stats, he's much higher than that.

There aren't 10 WRs in the entire league that have been more productive on the field over four years than SJ, the only four years he has played (and including playing through numerous injuries).

That doesn't mean I want to keep him, however. Right now, there is no place for him.

His trade value is 10x more affected by his contract than his talent.

No matter what metric you want to use, in the four years that Stevie has started (which is actually less than four), he is a top 30 WR. Just by stats, he's much higher than that.

There aren't 10 WRs in the entire league that have been more productive on the field over four years than SJ, the only four years he has played (and including playing through numerous injuries).

That doesn't mean I want to keep him, however. Right now, there is no place for him.

His trade value is 10x more affected by his contract than his talent.

but with Steive in the slot , Watkins on one side, make your pick from the other side....Seems like a winning combo to me. Stevie has the nuts to go over the middle. Who esle do we have that can sorry for the semanticts, new laptop and I,m still trying to get hang of it.

but with Steive in the slot , Watkins on one side, make your pick from the other side....Seems like a winning combo to me. Stevie has the nuts to go over the middle. Who esle do we have that can sorry for the semanticts, new laptop and I,m still trying to get hang of it.

Stevie in the slot is better in theory than on the field, and I'm a big Stevie fan. A lot of times a slot receiver needs to be in a specific place at a specific time on timing patterns and Stevie is the antithesis of that. To me, he is better on the outside where he can free lance, because that is his strength.

I still think Stevie is VERY good. He's just not a stud or a clear number one or reliable. If we didnt have Mike Williams there is no way I would want to get rid of Stevie.

But he and MW are redundant as players even if they are not the same kind of player. They are both a #2 guy. So is Woods. We don't need three number twos, especially because our number 4 could be ridiculously effective as the last option.

What has Stevie done? Before someone jumps in and screams 3 1000 yard seasons...lets point out a few things:

1. He BARELY broke 1000 yards, and has never reached 1100 ever in his career. 1000 yards has not been significant for a #1 WR in 2 decades.

2. He was the #1 WR on a pass happy offense that was always behind. Yet he never broke 1100 yards.

3. He compiled a large amount of his stats in garbage time during blow out losses...already showed the math on that in other threads.

4. He has come up short or flat out lost us several games with dropped passes.

Lets be honest...its pretty reasonable to assume that with the same number of pass attempts to Woods in any of Stevies 1000 yard seasons, he would have also broke 1000 yards and likely had better stats.

Im not falling for any hype. I already think Woods is the better WR. He's a polished route runner and he has BETTER hands and more play making ability IMO. Watkins is the only unknown, but I can tell you that I would rather roll with his potential than Stevies mediocre play.

I didn't say he is the 5th best WR, I said he is 5th on my depth chart...big difference.

1 - Woods

2 - Watkins

3 - Goodwin: Would rather have Goodwin with his hands and take the top off the D talent and speed as the 3rd WR than Stevie.

4 - Williams: Would rather see Mike Williams come in as the 3rd or 4th WR, especially in red zone, because of his size and hands.

5 - Stevie: Here is where I would put Stevie. He is talented enough to be a #2 WR somewhere, but here, I like Woods and Watkins as our starters, much much more upside. In the slot I think Goodwin compliments Woods and Watkins better because he brings a unique dynamic of elite speed with good hands. And Mike Williams brings size and red zone ability, so would prefer Mike to Stevie as well.

I guess what I am asking is why you have so much faith in Williams? Or Goodwin?

Why wouldn't it be:

1. Woods

2. Watkins

3. Johnson

4. Williams

5. GoodWin

As for the Williams/Johnson comparison, the stats tell us Johnson has had better years as our #1 every year despite mediocre QB play. Williams played with Freeman, who wasn't horrible, and opposite Jackson. He is also an absolute unknown to our team. We could just as easily be letting Williams go next year when his salary hits.

You are most certainly jumping the gun with throwing away Johnson. We have nothing to gain by trading him right now.

SJ has great trade value. You can get at the very least get a 7th rounder or new golf cart. I hope they dont trade him. He is the only reason the team has has character the last couple of years. He is good on the field and great off. Hopefully with Watkins, teams will have to stop triple covering him.

With his drop in performance last year, no one is going to give us a 3rd or 4th rd pick for SJ. Keep him. Why give away talent and take a gamble on a late pick. They have the money on the cap to keep him.

1. Watkins

2. Woods

3. SJ

4. Williams (if he doesn't make any other stupid decision off the field)

5. Goodwin

6. Easley (only b/c he is a fantastic gunner on ST - 6th WR are only on the team for ST and a ton of injuries)

I like this corp of WR. we have a Percy Harvin without the migraines in Watkins, an excellent route runner in Woods, a WR who plays big in Williams, SJ prior to last year just gets open even against top CBs. Lastly, I love Goodwin's speed, and explosiveness on kick returns.

If Whaley is right and we pick at 25 next year, I'll be happy with this trade,