Manny Lawson, what will become of him?

Buftex

Keep him, use him as strong side LB, or see if he can play DE opposite side of Mario. Most of these DE/OLB hybrids have flexibility. Manny has proven he can play in the NFL, there's no reason to boot him off the team, at the very least he's solid depth, if not a solid starter.

This is a quota piece by hackrodak. With absolutely nothing to speculate on other then some nobody who was cut yesterday for reasons unknown he draws for anything he can to shroud a question on Lawson.

My guess is that he had nothing much to write and saw some dude was cut and figures this is a good way to get clicks and headlines.

Good players find the field. If Lawson doesn't find the field in 2014 it isn't just because the system doesn't fit. Hackrodak could have chosen the same piece on Carrington, Hughes, Alonso, McKelvin, AWilliams, Dareus, or Robey.

This is a quota piece by hackrodak. With absolutely nothing to speculate on other then some nobody who was cut yesterday for reasons unknown he draws for anything he can to shroud a question on Lawson.

My guess is that he had nothing much to write and saw some dude was cut and figures this is a good way to get clicks and headlines.

Good players find the field. If Lawson doesn't find the field in 2014 it isn't just because the system doesn't fit. Hackrodak could have chosen the same piece on Carrington, Hughes, Alonso, McKelvin, AWilliams, Dareus, or Robey.

One of the stranger parts of the article, for me anyways, he writes that an NFL GM told him the Bills overpaid for Lawson...but the numbers quoted in the same article, seem miniscule in todays NFL.

I guess all the speculation I have read says that Schwartz will run that "9 wide" contraption...but then Marrone says that he wants the Bills defense to be "the same, but better" next year. Whatever that means. If there is some real structural change in the scheme, it may put a different priority on D-linemen and/or Linebackers... so somebody could get caught up in a numbers game. I just thought Lawson was really good last year...for all we know, there is likely a chance we are hiring a new DC in 2015.

Edited by Buftex

If Lawson gets cut, that's a bad sign. My hopes for the Schwartz Era are not high, but we'll see. Hopefully he's smart enough to adapt his D to the guys who are here.

Agreed. I'm higher on Schwartz but Lawson was a very solid player when healthy. Great at setting an edge. Smart guy who seems like a good leader. You find a place for guys like that.

The Lawson I watched this season played didn't play a pass rushing 3-4 OLB... He's fast,tall and big and athletic. I think he'd be a great OLB in a 4-3.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/6/2348325/covering-up-the-bengals-pass-rush-manny-lawson-scouting-report

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3692/manny-lawson

First of all I never had a handle on what defense we were running last year - it was kinda a 3-4 except we didn't have a real nose tackle in fact it was more like a 4-3 except instead of a RDE you had a 3-4 OLB and you had 3 4-3 OLBs

First of all I never had a handle on what defense we were running last year - it was kinda a 3-4 except we didn't have a real nose tackle in fact it was more like a 4-3 except instead of a RDE you had a 3-4 OLB and you had 3 4-3 OLBs

I agree.

How do you label Alonso?

One of the stranger parts of the article, for me anyways, he writes that an NFL GM told him the Bills overpaid for Lawson...but the numbers quoted in the same article, seem miniscule in todays NFL.

For all we know that NFL GM probably doesn't care for Lawson as a player.

I thought that was odd too. Those numbers seem perfectly reasonable and I think he at least played up to them last year.

If Lawson gets cut, that's a bad sign. My hopes for the Schwartz Era are not high, but we'll see. Hopefully he's smart enough to adapt his D to the guys who are here.

It's what he has said, and what Whaley has said Schwartz told him, just in the last day or so.

If history is a precursor to what could happen now that we are once again changing D coordinators we will cut him & add his contract to this years dead money pool & defer it to the following year so we can't sign CJ & the others when their contracts run out ...

When I look back at last year there are a number of players I thought at one time or another, "get rid of the bum". I never said "That Lawson is a superstar", but he never was a player I said "what a bum". Solid, reliable. A team needs more of that kind of players than they do superstars. Except maybe at QB :)

Edited by simpleman

• 2 weeks later...

I believe he can play some DE and SAM on padding downs

Edge run setter on rush downs and pass rusher on passing downs...his versatility will be very useful as will his long arms on setting the edge

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/166169-manny-lawson-what-will-become-of-him/

We recently had a similar thread about this topic. Well, not similar, but exactly the same. Not trying to poop on your thread since you genuinely are interested, just figuring you didn't see it.

I need to watch the 2013 films start to finish some time soon before its too late to bother. I am getting laid off so I don't want to shell out $25 unnecessary bucks. I am still thinking on how we will be in 2014.

I did not see other thread, sorry.

Mods delete or merge, I will be more careful.

No need to worry - at least in my opinion. Generating good discussion in a similar thread is not the end of the world. It promotes good discussion. Similar threads being made for what amount to LAMP's (look at my posts) where posters just give some diatribe of personal viewpoints and attacks, etc.

No need to worry - at least in my opinion. Generating good discussion in a similar thread is not the end of the world. It promotes good discussion. Similar threads being made for what amount to LAMP's (look at my posts) where posters just give some diatribe of personal viewpoints and attacks, etc.

I hate forum clutter, and try not to create redundant threads.

Keep Lawson no doubt. He's is a solid player.

We played basically a 4-3 most of the yr anyway. I would like them to get a MLB and switch Kiko to the outside where he might be even more effective.

The team said kiko and rivers are olb and Lawson is an "edge player"

Sounds like a man without a home, hoping he can stick as a utility wide 9 end or olb depth

Schwartz will be a bit more conventional and try to stop the run where Pettine was all about pressure on QB.

Not quite what id say. Schwartz hasn't been a knockout at yards per carry lately, but the last few years no one had attempts (lions bad secondary and high scoring offense). No attempts means few total yards.

He sends his lineman after the qb hard leaving lanes but hoping the disruption in the backfield helps, and lets a big MLB (spikes) hopefully clean up behind.

Edited by NoSaint

I think we keep Lawson and see how he adjusts this season to Schwartz and then decide.

CBF

I am not too excited by the acquisition of Spikes and Rivers in general, but I am cheered by the fact that Manny Lawson and Nigel Bradham will get a well deserved demotion. The Bills group of linebackers was the worst in the league last year in spite of Alonso's decent play. I think on paper they improved somewhat, but still not contender status. You really don't build championship caliber teams picking up fringe players in free agency.

I am not too excited by the acquisition of Spikes and Rivers in general, but I am cheered by the fact that Manny Lawson and Nigel Bradham will get a well deserved demotion. The Bills group of linebackers was the worst in the league last year in spite of Alonso's decent play. I think on paper they improved somewhat, but still not contender status. You really don't build championship caliber teams picking up fringe players in free agency.

you lost all credibility at manny getting a well deserved demotion.

Personally, I prefer an attacking defense where the idea is to flood a gap and force the offense to react by altering their blocking assignments. I haven't seen much tape on our biggest breakdowns, but I'd guess we were funneled away from the play - either by a change in the call or assignments or both.. that happens to any D that takes risks - but even risks should be mitigated by secondary personnel carrying out their responsibilities.. our young guys blew some reads that made matters worse.. from what I saw of Lawson - I don't recall seeing him failing to adapt during such breakdowns.. if anything, I seem to recall him being in the right position to keep some plays from breaking big.. wish I could give games/plays, but I can only recall that on more than a couple occasions I thought he was the difference in a play - and that's what I'm left with.. regardless of how Schwartz installs his D, having a heads up ball player like Lawson is a big advantage

I am cheered by the fact that Manny Lawson and Nigel Bradham will get a well deserved demotion.

I admit I did not see all the games last year. But I just can not remember Lawson having a game where I said "Boy is he bad". Not a superstar by any means, but I remember seeing a smart, solid player. To you and those that seem to think he deserves a demotion, can you point out specific plays in specific games that gave you such a negative view of Lawson? Please educate this obviously uninformed football viewer with specifics that will educate and inform me better.