Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear you and make no mistake I am a fan of Byrd. He is a really good football player. I just look at it if I would rather have Byrd for say $10M or TJ Ward for $7M (slide AW to Byrd's spot), Travelle Wharton for $3M and an extra 2nd - 3rd round pick? Just thinking out loud there...

I think the Bills have a bad reputation for letting the few elite players they develop walk away. I agree, Byrd is a difference maker. I want the Bills to re-sign him. They have money under the cap and they need to send a message to the fans that they will keep our elite players. No, they will not be able to re-sign everybody and eventually some players will be lost. I don’t think that should start with Byrd. However, if they did trade him they need to get Dareus locked up and be more aggressive in free agency. Otherwise, fair or not, they will be seen as the same ole same ole.

I think the Bills have a bad reputation for letting the few elite players they develop walk away. I agree, Byrd is a difference maker. I want the Bills to re-sign him. They have money under the cap and they need to send a message to the fans that they will keep our elite players. No, they will not be able to re-sign everybody and eventually some players will be lost. I don’t think that should start with Byrd. However, if they did trade him they need to get Dareus locked up and be more aggressive in free agency. Otherwise, fair or not, they will be seen as the same ole same ole.

Yeah, the only reason to let Byrd go/trade Byrd is to save that money for Dareus and Spiller. Byrd is a difference maker at the position and I want him on our team. But if we get something nice in a trade and lock up the other young talent we drafted, I think we'll be fine.

Pettine is rumored to want Byrd, Cle has an extra 1st round pick #23. Win, win for both teams. Whaley should already be testing the waters on this trade!! It's been reported that either Byrd signs or he gets the tag, Buffalo won't let him walk on his own terms and they shouldn't.

Why not? Cle has a pick to burn and Byrd has more value than any safety they can get with pick #23 since he can teach the defense like Pettine wants?

Why would they trade all of that for a guy they could have for nothing next year? Maybe even this year if the franchise tag is a bluff which it might be because, really, do the Bills want to go through a repeat of last year's circus and pay Byrd all that cash knowing it's not an investment in the future but instead, a farewell present? The Bills could very well just be hoping some idiot infested team rescues them from the Byrd situation sometime between now and August.

If the situation were reversed and the Bills were planning to trade a first round pick for a player like Byrd, we would be hanging ourselves in the basement en masse.

Why would they trade all of that for a guy they could have for nothing next year? Maybe even this year if the franchise tag is a bluff which it might be because, really, do the Bills want to go through a repeat of last year's circus and pay Byrd all that cash knowing it's not an investment in the future but instead, a farewell present? The Bills could very well just be hoping some idiot infested team rescues them from the Byrd situation sometime between now and August.

If the situation were reversed and the Bills were planning to trade a first round pick for a player like Byrd, we would be hanging ourselves in the basement en masse.

How could they have him for nothing next year? What if some other team offers him even more money? It's the difference between a sure thing and an off season bidding war. And it's a win now league. You don't take a year off getting good players because you have a shot of getting him for less if everything goes exactly to plan.

Name one good player we let go in the last 4 years. We haven't been same ole same ole since Nix came here. I understand we have a "reputation" but it's invalid at best in recent years.

Especially when teams like the Ravens/Steelers have been letting good players walk much more frequently in the last 4 years.

Name one good player we let go in the last 4 years. We haven't been same ole same ole since Nix came here. I understand we have a "reputation" but it's invalid at best in recent years.

Especially when teams like the Ravens/Steelers have been letting good players walk much more frequently in the last 4 years.

Andy Levitre. Paul Posluszny. Traded Marshawn Lynch for Chris Hairston and Tank Carder. It's also hard to let good players go when your drafts are either so bad or the guys coming up for contracts (Glenn, Dareus, et al) haven't gone far enough in their rookie deals to warrant an extension.

And I wouldn't go comparing the Ravens or Steelers with Buffalo. The first two teams have 3 SB titles between them in the last 9 seasons. Buffalo wins, on average, 6 games a year over the same span.

Andy Levitre. Paul Posluszny. Traded Marshawn Lynch for Chris Hairston and Tank Carder. It's also hard to let good players go when your drafts are either so bad or the guys coming up for contracts (Glenn, Dareus, et al) haven't gone far enough in their rookie deals to warrant an extension.

And I wouldn't go comparing the Ravens or Steelers with Buffalo. The first two teams have 3 SB titles between them in the last 9 seasons. Buffalo wins, on average, 6 games a year over the same span.

Steelers and Ravens have let more talent leave than we have in the last 4 years. Lynch was nothing special. Neither was Poz. You may have a case for Levitre, but that's one talented player. One.

Explain it away however you want.

I get your point but Levitre and Poz. Really? I still wouldn't pay them near what they got in free agency so the beat goes on.

Byrd won't sign with the Bills. He wants out and will take less money from a contending team. The guy is sick of losing and wants to have a chance to play in the post season and maybe even a super bowl. He knows he will never get that opportunity in Buffalo. He's a great player and great players want to win. I can't say I blame him. Losing year in and year out has to take it's toll on your mental attitude. After being on a loser his entire career he probably can't take anymore. :wallbash:

the byrd hate is strong but i find it interesting that some of you say he isn't worth x amount and you'd rather have the team spend that money elsewhere. 2 huge issues i have with this.

1.you can't talk trash about how he isn't elite but then say that the bills should get a 1st round pick for him. if teams are willing to give a first round pick be honest he's a legit payer.

2.what makes you think the bills will use that cap space on other in FA or resigning their own? they have a ton of room and should resign its own players.

just a little extra thought is the people who say the bills should not pay the safety position that much cause yaddayyadda yadda. think about this if they don't value the position why draft it? let alone in the second round? its like you want the player to be above average but not elite so you don't have to pay him the elite money.

So now we think we will get a 2 for Byrd and another 2 for Stevie and perhaps trade down for another 2nd.

I'm afraid other teams take advantage of bad teams in season and off season. Look for a 4th or 5th for the players and a reach at #9. I just hope we draft GA QB McDonald late.

I hope we hold out for a 2 but really, if others say nada we are sunk.

After hearing Marrone talk I now believe that Stevie won't get traded but if he did I think that a decent 4th round pick would be about the right value. As far as Byrd goes I'm hoping that we sign him but I'm not going to hold my breath about it. Unfortunately if we don't get him signed quickly that I expect him to be a goner. An early 2nd rder would be fair, especially in a deep draft.

Byrd won't sign with the Bills. He wants out and will take less money from a contending team. The guy is sick of losing and wants to have a chance to play in the post season and maybe even a super bowl. He knows he will never get that opportunity in Buffalo. He's a great player and great players want to win. I can't say I blame him. Losing year in and year out has to take it's toll on your mental attitude. After being on a loser his entire career he probably can't take anymore. :wallbash:

+1 Sadly, I think this is what it all boils down to and the rest is fluff. Now we need a team to offer us a reasonable deal for him like Philly did for Peters. Hope to hell we're both wrong about all this though!

The Browns trading even a 2nd rd pick for Byrd doesn't seem like a good trade for them. They will end up paying more for him than Ward and giving up a juicy pick in this draft for what - so he can help teach the defense? Our guys seemed to pick it up just fine last year without a guy in TC to "teach it to them" other than the coaching staff. Leonard didn't come in until the reg season. Ward is a year younger and was 2nd team all pro. They can't keep both and Byrd can't play SS I don't think so then they need to replace Ward still! They had defensive chemistry last year. Why screw with it? But its the Browns.

Edited by YoloinOhio

said GM Doug Whaley, who will also be part of contract talks with player agents. "Before we got here we set a priority list and set the parameters of value that we have on each of these guys and we'll go from there and see what they think".

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-to-talk-with-Byrds-agent-and-other-UFAs/7b785114-a45c-4057-ac32-d8b310dea265

TRANSLATION: we are not offering what Byrd wants.

all a charade.....

Edited by papazoid

said GM Doug Whaley, who will also be part of contract talks with player agents. "Before we got here we set a priority list and set the parameters of value that we have on each of these guys and we'll go from there and see what they think".

http://www.buffalobi...32-d8b310dea265

TRANSLATION: we are not offering what Byrd wants.

all a charade.....

Just wondering... do you think this is all a charade? :rolleyes: