Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

The Bills will tag Byrd. And Ward will want to be paid as well as Byrd since he just made the Pro Bowl and 2nd team all-pro.

Ward wasn't elected to the PB. He was an alternate after some guys said no. Not that the PB means anything. He does want paid, but had a different agent and not close to Byrd's production. He is OK though, I'd take him, One of the only decent Browns draft picks over the last few yrs.

they have a lot of money, so it could make sense for byrd.

from their side, its certainly nice to have some guys help bring your culture to the locker room. think rex ryan bringing in bart scott when he became head coach. its an ally that wears a helmet - which in cleveland, given the state of their locker room - might be a very welcome thing for an incoming head coach.

Bring the Bills culture? Or Pettine's culture? Not even sure what that is. They were only together for a year. But I guess it is better than the Browns.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bring the Bills culture? Or Pettine's culture? Not even sure what that is. They were only together for a year. But I guess it is better than the Browns.

bring pettines. he knows the playbook, he has instant credibility as an all pro player - if he comes in and says "this pettine guy is the real deal - i could go anywhere and i came here" that may speak to a lot of the players saying they dont believe in the browns organization.

its something that pettines coordinators, and position coaches simply wont be able to accomplish with the same immediacy and impact that an all pro player could.

Edited by NoSaint

The Bills are ~25M beneath the cap, have no other name free agents to sign in 2014, no decent backup option to Byrd, and other positions which need addressing. Even if he's tagged to be traded, the pick received will be a rookie and won't provide a relatively similar level of play at safety or another position to help this team reach the playoffs this coming season.

Even dealing Byrd sends the wrong message on multiple levels. Marrone didn't sound high on Searcy yesterday as a starter, leaving them with only Aaron Williams as a somewhat experienced starter at safety. I'm having a hard time seeing the wisdom of not keeping him long term considering the scenario Buffalo finds themselves in.

Ward wasn't elected to the PB. He was an alternate after some guys said no. Not that the PB means anything. He does want paid, but had a different agent and not close to Byrd's production. He is OK though, I'd take him, One of the only decent Browns draft picks over the last few yrs.

I doubt his agent will make a distinction when it comes to the Pro Bowl and he was selected 2nd team AP All-Pro, so he'll say he was one of the top-4 safeties in the league.

Pay the man. You're not going to win anything by letting talented players walk when you have mountains of cash to reach the salary cap.

I respectfully disagree....for a variety of reasons...but I've left them all out in other posts and don't want to rehash them all over again...

bring pettines. he knows the playbook, he has instant credibility as an all pro player - if he comes in and says "this pettine guy is the real deal - i could go anywhere and i came here" that may speak to a lot of the players saying they dont believe in the browns organization.

its something that pettines coordinators, and position coaches simply wont be able to accomplish with the same immediacy and impact that an all pro player could.

Maybe. The Browns are just such a mess, I can't see it having much impact. But who knows.

the top three safety salaries in 2014 are $8.4 million ( eric berry ), $8.2 million ( troy polamalu ), and $7.5 million ( eric weddle ). i hope we tag byrd then offer him around 8 or $8.5 million per year for a few years ( with about half that guaranteed ), telling him that if he doesn't take it, he's playing under the tag. if he doesnt go for the long term deal, we trade him a la percy harvin's minnesota/seattle deal.

I am thinking tag and trade for Cleveland's 2nd.

I'd take that, if he won't sign. Still seems weird that Browns would say let Ward walk and sign Byrd for all that $. The team is already pissed that they fired their coach after a year and changing systems again. Now the new guy comes in, tells their 2nd team all pro safety "see ya" instead of paying him, and signs a guy for more $ than Ward would have gotten who may or may not be better? If I'm on that team, sure would not help the morale. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd take that, if he won't sign. Still seems weird that Browns would say let Ward walk and sign Byrd for all that $. The team is already pissed that they fired their coach after a year and changing systems again. Now the new guy comes in, tells their 2nd team all pro safety "see ya" instead of paying him, and signs a guy for more $ than Ward would have gotten who may or may not be better? If I'm on that team, sure would not help the morale.

I hear ya. I guess that I believe that the Browns D can be elite; I actually feel funny saying that. If they use their 2 1sts for people like Manziel and Benjamin they are in good shape. If they trade their 2nd for Byrd and take someone like Tre Madon in the 3rd the Browns look like contenders.

In all the Byrd discussions I can't ever remember reading the reason why the Bills just don't pay him. Other than Byrd wanting to be paid as the top S, I just don't understand why they won't. The guy is a model citizen, probably is the top S or very close to it and I would think that if the Bills were to pay 8+ million that Parker and Byrd would be willing to be able to accept and work out the details. The top Safeties are getting that kind of money so why shouldn't Byrd??! As far as I'm concern the guy has done everything that was asked of him so just pay the guy. This stubbornness from our "brain trusts" is sending the wrong message to the rest of our players IMO.

In all the Byrd discussions I can't ever remember reading the reason why the Bills just don't pay him. Other than Byrd wanting to be paid as the top S, I just don't understand why they won't. The guy is a model citizen, probably is the top S or very close to it and I would think that if the Bills were to pay 8+ million that Parker and Byrd would be willing to be able to accept and work out the details. The top Safeties are getting that kind of money so why shouldn't Byrd??! As far as I'm concern the guy has done everything that was asked of him so just pay the guy. This stubbornness from our "brain trusts" is sending the wrong message to the rest of our players IMO.

i can understand playing hardball against a 10m demand, but if our highest offer we were willing to bring to the table was low 7s, im frustrated by that. atleast put an 8m in front of him last year. this year, a solid offer in the 8s i think would be the lowest offer they should be contemplating extending. if hes set on 10 and they dont get there, so be it but atleast get something reasonable on the table.

Edited by NoSaint

Sounds like the Bills will be meeting with Byrd's agent tomorrow. Stay tuned.

I hope there is a # that will be fair and acceptable to both sides. By all accounts, Byrd likes his teammates and Henderson a lot. I wouldn't completely say that is not a factor - a comfort level in the situation. If both sides want to get a deal done, I think it will happen. Whaley is supposed to be on WGR tonight at 8 and will discuss it. I think the amount of guaranteed money will be most important here.