Season ending breakdown with the FO

mrags

Mike Schopp is an idiot --- on tirade now saying you can't coach turnovers --- really ?? --- didn't Tom Couglin coach Tiki how to hold onto the ball ? --- didn't Pettine coach Bills on attacking ball in secondary, 2nd in league in INT's --- we need new Buffalo media that actually know football so they can respectfully but directly confront and challenge the Bills FO --- this putz Schopp doesn't know a 1-gap vs. 2-gap assignment or weakside vs. strongside and he gets all the access to these guys --- no wonder Brandon isn't challenged --- the guys in the room are drones

Exactly. It's an excuse we should all put to rest. As for STs, if a team has many weapons on STs, then they must really suck on offense and/or defense or they are exercising poor judgement in playing their stars on ST. They don't need weapons, they need good coaching/discipline.

Agreed.

ST's require guys who hustle, are smart, and are disciplined.

You don't need 4 or 5 "core" guys.

why was going into the year going to be difficult?

didnt we keep a stacked group of returners, easley played very well, hogan was seemingly kept for his ST ability according to many around here... we suffered an injury at kicker and ended up with a great situation there. punter was a bit rocky.... but generally, how much more did he need to get his job done? especially if we are publicly saying we want to keep moorman.

I think that last year our STs were pretty good...

Said Easley was a core ST'r and we need 6 more of them...

By the posts here, Crossman doesn't look like he's going anywhere. Looks like he needs more "weapons". Lol. It never ends.

Coaching special teams is about motivation and putting your players in position to succeed. The want-to hasn't seemed to be there from most of those players and the second long kickoff return by Blount was a prime example of a bad call by a ST coach. You simply kick that ball low and force the up-men or Blount to field a bounding ball. Crossman just isn't a good NFL special teams coach.

Targeting special teams "talent"???

Gimme a break.

ST is ALL about coaching - it's your roster bottom feeders against the opponent's roster bottom feeders. There are no stars. If guys are in position and know what to do, they'll be fine. For example, the Pats.

Edited by dave mcbride

Coaching special teams is about motivation and putting your players in position to succeed. The want-to hasn't seemed to be there from most of those players and the second long kickoff return by Blount was a prime example of a bad call by a ST coach. You simply kick that ball low and force the up-men or Blount to field a bounding ball. Crossman just isn't a good NFL special teams coach.

crossman has made good units bad everywhere hes been. every year hes coached his units rankings have gone down the following year, i believe.

Jay Skurski@JaySkurski 6m

Marrone stops short of saying Danny Crossman will return: "We'll evaluate everything."

Jay Skurski@JaySkurski 4m

Russ Brandon says the Bills remain in evaluation mode on the Toronto series.

Wants 6 more core ST players like Easley

Good job, Reed83.

Hope they end the Toronto fiasco.

Jay Skurski@JaySkurski 9s

Doug Whaley says he was "taken aback" by the question regarding Stevie Johnson's future with the team, maintains the team is behind him.

I am taken aback that Whaley is taken aback. Is he serious about there being no questions regarding his competency as a #1 WR and his position on the team ?

By the posts here, Crossman doesn't look like he's going anywhere. Looks like he needs more "weapons". Lol. It never ends.

Maybe from the posts here, but I don't think there was anything in the presser to imply that he is returning.

You don't need 4 or 5 "core" guys.

Agree. Also, I don't think any team can afford so many core STers without compromising on other key areas in O and D.

Mike Schopp is an idiot --- on tirade now saying you can't coach turnovers --- really ?? --- didn't Tom Couglin coach Tiki how to hold onto the ball ? --- didn't Pettine coach Bills on attacking ball in secondary, 2nd in league in INT's --- we need new Buffalo media that actually know football so they can respectfully but directly confront and challenge the Bills FO --- this putz Schopp doesn't know a 1-gap vs. 2-gap assignment or weakside vs. strongside and he gets all the access to these guys --- no wonder Brandon isn't challenged --- the guys in the room are drones

I concur! A caller to his show tried to tell him how Cam Newton and Russell Wilson benefited from having excellent defenses. Schoop shot him down and said that Newton and Wilson's teams were winning because they have "great" QB play. Really? How "great" was Cam last year/earlier in the season. He had some good statistical games, but his team's still lost. Schoop can say what he wants about how he's not impressed with Manuel, but if he really paid attention to the "young" man he should be able to see he has the "clutch" factor in him. Whenever his teams were down in certain situations EJ produced. Do I have to mention the Panthers game? Or the first meeting with the Pats? And lately the Falcons game! Like I've been saying all year long, continue building a dominating defense against both the run and pass and keep Manuel healthy you will see a playoff team in Buffalo!

It was a season-ending press conference, they are going to be as non-committal as possible.

What did some of you really expect?

Do you want them to start blabbering on emotionally and start firing coaches and releasing players via a press conference or would you rather they are measured in their responses and actions?

Well, I guess somebody has to reshuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic. Taken aback about questions regarding SJ; Crossman not fired on Black Monday; Moorman coming back; EJ already annointed starting QB.

Blithering idiots, the lot of them, just a terrible organization. If either Hackett or Crossman are still on the staff next season Marrone should be instantly fired.

Exactly. It's an excuse we should all put to rest. As for STs, if a team has many weapons on STs, then they must really suck on offense and/or defense or they are exercising poor judgement in playing their stars on ST. They don't need weapons, they need good coaching/discipline.

Yep.

Most ST coaches get their say on kicker, punter, long snapper, returner... The coverage units are leftover backups.

All we need out of special teams is to not give up a big return. That requires guys staying in their lanes and not missing tackles. We don't need "weapons."

Everybody needs more weapons, apparently. First, EJ. Now, Crossman.

I need some more weapons at work to do my job.

I could be wrong but I don't recall Marrone or the FO ever saying that EJ was hindered by a lack of weapons(or core players around him lol). It's always been that his progression has been hindered by injuries etc.

The Crossman comment however did sound like somebody trying to create excuses(rather than voicing legitimately accepted reasons).

Jay Skurski@JaySkurski 9s

Doug Whaley says he was "taken aback" by the question regarding Stevie Johnson's future with the team, maintains the team is behind him.

I listened to the whole thing live and this was the single point I remembered most...

For those wishing for Stevie's departure, for all the generalization and cloudy answers during this Presser, the Whaley answer about Stevie was probably the most specific...It does not seem like Whaley is having any anti-13 thoughts... B-)

Marrone on Spiller-

How can he get better an get CJ more involved?

Situations were different, injury a factor, saw him improve. Not sure if it's him showing signs or because of injury. No real answer.

EJs performance from Russ-

I empower Whaley and Marrone to make the right decisions. We expect movements forward.

Jerry Hughes-

Indy thought it was a win win, we expected Jerry to produce and expect bigger things next year.

TE position-

Marrone- Chandler played well and was productive. General BS about the TE position and how it can be utilized.

Why can't we figure out how to win close games BS New England winning close games.

Marrone- turnover battle. Rushing battle. Brady is outstanding. Don't beat yourself with errors and penalties. Thy do it better than anyone

Chris Hairston-

Whaley- will get more information from medical staff at end of week if he can resume his career.

Morman-

Want to keep him- Whaley

Inconsistencies in run defense-

Marrone- extremely disappointed. Categorized as urgent and needs to be fixed. But will be evaluated.

Sacks and turnovers- Marrone-

Was a big on turnovers when he took the job. Fastest way to lose football games. Wanted more and wanted to do it less.

I'll admit I'm ignorant of exactly what is Hairston's injury and can he comeback. Can anyone shed any light on this, even after googling it I'm kinda lost at how bad it is.

I concur! A caller to his show tried to tell him how Cam Newton and Russell Wilson benefited from having excellent defenses. Schoop shot him down and said that Newton and Wilson's teams were winning because they have "great" QB play. Really? How "great" was Cam last year/earlier in the season. He had some good statistical games, but his team's still lost. Schoop can say what he wants about how he's not impressed with Manuel, but if he really paid attention to the "young" man he should be able to see he has the "clutch" factor in him. Whenever his teams were down in certain situations EJ produced. Do I have to mention the Panthers game? Or the first meeting with the Pats? And lately the Falcons game! Like I've been saying all year long, continue building a dominating defense against both the run and pass and keep Manuel healthy you will see a playoff team in Buffalo!

I stopped listening to him entirely about a year ago --- I only listen to Simon in the am and Murph podcasts and a bit of Sabre talk ---- but was stuck on channel after Bills end of year presser ---- he really doesn't belong on an all sports format station ---- there's gotta be guys on this board that would be more knowledgeable and entertaining --- maybe that's a topic to post --- who on this board should replace Schopp

I listened to the whole thing live and this was the single point I remembered most...

For those wishing for Stevie's departure, for all the generalization and cloudy answers during this Presser, the Whaley answer about Stevie was probably the most specific...It does not seem like Whaley is having any anti-13 thoughts... B-)

which is good, as we dont have any 13-replacements for 2014. even if hes not whaleys guy long term, it would be a bold, and likely counterproductive move to ship him out now. other than simply not knowing if the new guys, im not sure where it gained so much traction.

I'll admit I'm ignorant of exactly what is Hairston's injury and can he comeback. Can anyone shed any light on this, even after googling it I'm kinda lost at how bad it is.

ive asked a few times - i think only vague information exists in the public currently.

I won't buy or trust anything that comes out of Brandon's MOUTH ! . . . I only look at actions here forward --- (1) What will he do with Toronto series ? (disappointed media didn't dig deeper into this question at presser, why not ask "Russ, with all due respect, you were instrumental in creating the TOR series, negotiated it, have watched each game, last year extended the series, what information are you lacking in your self-proclaimed, "we will look into it" comment in order to determine if this series should continue ? --- "do you personally think the TOR series gives this team a "true" HOME game ? ---"what if team had missed playoffs by one game ?" --- (2) CAP (again, disappointed no media member asked Russ his strategy on CAP and how that is inherently inconsistent with providing all resources necessary to WIN --- (2a) What happens with Byrd -- if he bolts for another losing team for $8M/year, then he was all about money --- if he leaves for a contender (say Philly, Chic, Cincy, Ariz) -- then he makes statement that he (Byrd) has NO FAITH in this FO/Team --- (3) What team does with "losing culture" -- will Crossman be fired (I'm hoping Marrone tells his friend to find another job and they announce in a few weeks that Crossman is resigning to go be HC at some small college ---- what players are released/traded to change culture ---

I found it interesting when Marrone slipped up in his answer about the OL. He started to say that they would be upgrading the OL.....then quickly reverted to the standard "become more consistent" and "develop the talent we have" answer.

Though no real surprise, I am expecting we get a FA OL upgrade.....or maybe the draft.

Edited by Dibs