Coach Marrone

vegas55

I believe the line in Vegas was 6.5 wins for the Bills to start the year.

Yes, it was, and I have the over. Sure wish it didn't hinge on them having to win in NE. Not only do i have the Bills over 6.5, I have NE under 11. So either I win on the Bills and push on NE or lose both.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, please elaborate. How exactly do you know already that Marrone was a bad hire? He didn't lead his team to the playoffs. Yes. Did he take over a raging dumpster fire of a football team. Yes. I, for one, would say that this team has made progress. Perhaps it didn't show up significantly in the W/L column, but there were some bright spots. I'm curious to learn what has caused you to pass judgement on him so quickly?

Chan Gailey is the one that enherited a raging dumpster fire of a football team. Marrone...not so much. While there are holes there is an excellent core of talent on this team.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Okay, please elaborate. How exactly do you know already that Marrone was a bad hire?

Because he was never that good here in Syracuse. And I just didn't see anything that he did this year to give me much hope for the future. Marrone is like Barack Obama - inexperienced and completely in over his head.

Worse, the Bills have a high-maintenance QB in EJ Manuel. Manuel needs a lot of coaching (not to mention fewer injuries if that's possible) and I just don't see Marrone + Manuel = success.

Edited by PearlHowardman

I think we should do something similar with posting privileges. You have one month to post and if you fail to post something contributory or at least coherent then you lose your posting privileges permanently.

Yes, you'll still be allowed to read but you'll be prohibited from posting any more stupidity.

I have bad news for the OP,

YES! You have my vote on this one. The solution as you elude to is the exact opposite of this initial thread. I want this regime to get more than three years as we may actually have a good team. My dream is we keep this staff for several years and we get back an organization like the Steelers and so on.

My only ? Is Hackett. I still believe we give him at least two years, but if we don't improve on offensive production with a full year and I'm sure we'll draft some offensive talent. I firmly believe we can repeat top 10 defense, top 3 running game, and if we could just get to a top 15 passing offense with better 3rd down conversions, and red zone offense, we'll finally see the post season. Now Whaley, be smart resign Byrd, increase Pettine's salary like the Bucs did with Monty Kiffin years ago. Before people pick on that comment, back in the late 90's and early 2000's, Tampa had the most consistently top defense in the NFL which is why it's such a surprise to see Kiffin do soo poorly. My analogy was simply Tampa paid Kiffin as thE high.est coordinator in the NFL, and it paid off. They went to the playoffs almost every year, and most years they were top 5-7.

There really needs to be a minimum post count before you are able to start a thread......just terrible

I started a thead in the suggestion box a while back but then some newbe wrote a real good post and no body looks in the suggestion box anyway.

Chan Gailey is the one that enherited a raging dumpster fire of a football team. Marrone...not so much. While there are holes there is an excellent core of talent on this team.

Yeah, that 6-10 team with no QB, no LBers, 1 legitimate starting WR, and 1 (at the time) legitimate starting CB that Marrone inherited was such an excellent core of talent. I can't believe Gailey wasn't closer to Super Bowl glory with that powerhouse squad. Good point.

Because he was never that good here in Syracuse. And I just didn't see anything that he did this year to give me much hope for the future. Marrone is like Barack Obama - inexperienced and completely in over his head.

Worse, the Bills have a high-maintenance QB in EJ Manuel. Manuel needs a lot of coaching (not to mention fewer injuries if that's possible) and I just don't see Marrone + Manuel = success.

Dude you are the worst. Every post you write is just oozing with pessimism and negativity. I'm surprised you didn't mention how the owner is the root of our problems in this thread like you do in every other one. Honest question: what do you derive from posting on this website?

Marrone.." My question is, what does Marrone do around here? " geez really ?

Recall last season when team gave up. I mean really gave up .

Gailey couldnt even fake it anymore. The three year experiment was over mid season.

This culture in Buffalo Bills which permeates even the fan base to some some seriously painful depths , is no small mole hill to overcome.

Thats what Marrone is tasked to do . From top to bottom .

I dont understand the hatred from you Firechan . Its fairly obvious that Coach is turning this team around in spirit and believing they can win .

Listen to the players , the vets . actually listen to mic'd up .

These guys are talking about getting this thing turned around . He entrusts his OC /DC position coaches etc to the details and i am sure points out adjustments needed .

You sound like an old disgruntled employee FC. : )

The years and years of losing is difficult to purge for the new Captain of the ship. At least he is not just slapping new paint on it again and calling it good.

Part of the fun , for me , this season has been the ups and downs , the mistakes and the successes .

I believe he believes. and thats good enough for me right now.

Next season i might be more critical . We shall see

I have always tried to remain positive. i know the OP was a bit trollish, but he is on to something.

I just saw a lot of moments this year where the team looked not ready and Marrone in particular looked out of his league during a game and how he managed EJ.

I hope Marrone has learned a great deal this year and will grow from it. I do not really want to fire him.

One of the things Marrone needed to learn was that Hackett can not be both QB coach and OC in the NFL.

Marrone also needs to show his ST's coach the door.

During the year Marrone showed he was not afraid to make player changes in hopes of improvement, he now needs to apply that philosophy to his staff.

Address the SJ issue. Personally SJ to me is not a gamer. I am not talking about his character but about his inability to make plays when you need them. Please do not bring up the Carolina catch, even a broke clock is right twice a day and that was a catch anyone of us on here could have made. This type of person is not needed on this team. SJ needs to be traded for something while he has some value.

Marrone makes some of these moves and he will show me he has learned something and i will buy back into him. IF Marrone comes back with the same staff then we should be prepaired for much of the same next year.

I have always tried to remain positive. i know the OP was a bit trollish, but he is on to something.

I just saw a lot of moments this year where the team looked not ready and Marrone in particular looked out of his league during a game and how he managed EJ.

I hope Marrone has learned a great deal this year and will grow from it. I do not really want to fire him.

One of the things Marrone needed to learn was that Hackett can not be both QB coach and OC in the NFL.

During the year Marrone showed he was not afraid to make player changes in hopes of improvement, he now needs to apply that philosophy to his staff.

Address the SJ issue. Personally SJ to me is not a gamer. I am not talking about his character but about his inability to make plays when you need them. Please do not bring up the Carolina catch, even a broke clock is right twice a day and that was a catch anyone of us on here could have made. This type of person is not needed on this team. SJ needs to be traded for something while he has some value.

Marrone makes some of these moves and he will show me he has learned something and i will buy back into him. IF Marrone comes back with the same staff then we should be prepaired for much of the same next year.

:thumbsup: .......completely fair

I agree wholeheartedly with Doug Marrone when asked to reflect on his first year as HC of the Billls. He offered no excuses, that their record was not acceptable. I think most would concur. I therefore recomend that Marrone and his staff be replaced and we start with a new regime that has a better chance of succeeding. Best wishes to Doug et. al at the very least he admitted his inability to turn things around and that is the best that anyone could ask.

During the last few months I have almost stopped reading the board and rarely contribute (Ok, so some of my past musings might not be seen as contributions but I tried.). The cause is the increase in trolls like this who could never be considered a fan of the team much less a thoughtful poster. It is frankly frustrating to sift through their pablum in search of something of value.

WHERE ARE THE MONITORS?

Yea, right ... let's fire the ushers and concession folks too. Anyone with a modicum of understanding of sports realizes that coaching transitions rarely if ever have produced a championship team. Coaches need time to evaluate players and then with the support of management make changes that will create "their team." As most of us know, in the first year under a new coach what you hope for is a positive adjustment in a team's approach towards winning. We have seen this in Marrone.

So, fire the trolls! And, celebrate our new head coach .... Let's see what actions he takes this off season.

WHERE ARE THE MONITORS?

So, fire the trolls!

If you think someone is trolling then don't respond to them. The quickest way to get rid of a troll is to ignore them. They are specifically doing what they do to push your buttons. When a troll reads how pissed off you are, you are giving them the very satisfaction they seek. Just ignore them. Skip that thread and go contribute on a thread that is more to your liking.

People are going to get mad here. It is a sports forum. If we were in a ginmill there would be fist fights here daily.

Marrone.." My question is, what does Marrone do around here? " geez really ?

Recall last season when team gave up. I mean really gave up .

Gailey couldnt even fake it anymore. The three year experiment was over mid season.

This culture in Buffalo Bills which permeates even the fan base to some some seriously painful depths , is no small mole hill to overcome.

Thats what Marrone is tasked to do . From top to bottom .

I dont understand the hatred from you Firechan . Its fairly obvious that Coach is turning this team around in spirit and believing they can win .

Listen to the players , the vets . actually listen to mic'd up .

These guys are talking about getting this thing turned around . He entrusts his OC /DC position coaches etc to the details and i am sure points out adjustments needed .

You sound like an old disgruntled employee FC. : )

The years and years of losing is difficult to purge for the new Captain of the ship. At least he is not just slapping new paint on it again and calling it good.

Part of the fun , for me , this season has been the ups and downs , the mistakes and the successes .

I believe he believes. and thats good enough for me right now.

Next season i might be more critical . We shall see

Players talking about "getting it done?" That's your proof that he's changing the culture?

Give Marrone 2 more years. Unless we get a top 10 QB, our squad will give up once again.

The real problem for the Bills this year has been the inconsistency of mediocre QB's. I think Hackett did a great job given this problem, and Marrone has the team ready to play most weeks, even though they are out of playoff contention. The key issue is the Bills FO failing to adequately address the most important position on the team AGAIN by pinning their hopes on a rookie and injury prone veteran, and then when the injury prone veteran got injured, by hoping said rookie, who himself missed training camp, and an undrafted rookie and practice squad QB could get the job done.

I think we are being hamstrung by a rookie QB/QBs that are not fully ready to be able to handle everything they need to be able to handle for us to take advantage of what we can do offensively...week after week huge plays that were wide open that were missed kept being highlighted by the all 22 film...this probably cost us at least two or three wins, but at the same time growing pains are to be expected with rookie QBs and the carousel that went on...

I think they are praying Manuel takes a big step this off-season/training camp and improves with more understanding and studying and working on improving fundamentals...

I feel Marrone and this staff are going to really put their stamp on this team and there will be some surprising "addition by subtraction" of players who aren't committed to winning the way they should be. That coupled with another year in the same schemes/systems, the growth of our rookies, and another strong draft/off-season and this has the makings of a potentially very good team that comes out if nowhere next season to challenge the Patriots for the division...this week would be a good start to let them know what's in store next year...

Edited by matter2003

Lets not pretend that we knew that our offseason free agent QB would slip on a bath mat and then knock himself out of playing 1 down for the Bills...or know that injuries would decimate our secondary and doom our season early, or that some our key vets would choke at key moments of season changing games...I for one will take this group of players and know that with a few FA moves and another strong draft class, we WILL be in the playoffs next year...there will be NO excuses

As for some of thread starters in the forum, seems some just crave attention...either way love this site and you all kept me sane during my tour here in Africa...thanks and Go Bills!!!

Hopefully we could get somebody new and fire them sooner, starting the cycle of rebuilding towards success that much more quickly. Because Harbaugh.

If we act quick maybe we could replace Whaley by free agency and replace his replacement by the draft too.

Lets not pretend that we knew that our offseason free agent QB would slip on a bath mat and then knock himself out of playing 1 down for the Bills...or know that injuries would decimate our secondary and doom our season early, or that some our key vets would choke at key moments of season changing games...I for one will take this group of players and know that with a few FA moves and another strong draft class, we WILL be in the playoffs next year...there will be NO excuses

As for some of thread starters in the forum, seems some just crave attention...either way love this site and you all kept me sane during my tour here in Africa...thanks and Go Bills!!!

Paulmac, thank you for your service and glad the site keeps you sane.

As for our "offseason FA QB", my view of Kolb's previous history is that his name is German for "Made of Glass". He was injured with Philly (concussion), injured with AZ (turf toe, concussion) - not much of a stretch to think he'd be injured with B'lo. Meanwhile we parted ways with a proven tough-as-nails WC system QB (TJax) who was snapped up in a hurry by a playoff team. So I would say "let's not pretend it wasn't reasonably predictable that Kolb would get knocked out and leave us with 2 rookie QB". Different viewpoints, different viewpoints.

1) Replace Whaley

2) Replace replacement Whaley

3) Covert action to harvest Harbaugh stem cells

4) ?????

5) Hoist Lombardi Trophy

Lucky we already phased in the biomedical "analytics" department. Just gotta keep turning over staff until our genetically engineered winners are ready to figure out #4, you know, so no one catches on

Edited by NoSaint

This

OK. while we're piling on the troll (deservedly):he has something of a point:

I don't want Marrone pleased with the result of this season. I want him to keep that frustration burning all offseason as he plans for next year. I want him interviewing people to change out some of the coaching staff, looking through prospective free agents, looking through film on draft prospects.

The Colts had a fire sale the year they released Manning, cutting a lot of their veterans. They have now made the playoffs two years in a row.

This year, the Chiefs got a brand new head coach, brought in a QB that people said was mediocre to good and then built a dominating team.

Marrone isn't making excuses and 6-10 or 7-9 is about or better what national media expectations were. I just wish we'd defied them for once.

This is a totally different situation than the Bills are in, although I see your point. They admitted they were a year late in cutting all their vets... the SB was in Indy in 2011 and they wanted to make one last run so they hung onto Freeney, etc. Then Peyton got hurt and it was all for naught. I personally don't think the Colts are better now than they were then. Their division is trash this year and they won by default. I love Luck, but he is carrying the offense. Mathis is great but the rest of their D is pretty bad. They have had some injuries, but I think overall Irsay and Grigson's vision of the "new Colts" will not surpass Polian's version. I will be shocked if they make it out of the 1st rd of the playoffs this year. They need to have a huge draft to get to the next level and they don't even have a 1st rounder this year.

I was born in 1969. Do you know HW many head coaches the Pittsburgh Steelers have had in my life time? Hint it's less than the Bills have had in this century.

Whether you are trying to be sarcastic or not, another idiotic thread on the head coach is unnecessary. The staff isn't going anywhere, nor should they.

+1,000,000

This is an excellent point!! The talent level on this team needs tweaking and major improvement at QB and TE. Marrone has shown a heck of a lot in his first year and I'm optimistic with the staff. I'd give him more rope than a Jauron or a Gailey who've done it before coming here. I love historical comparisons... before Noll, the Steelers STUNK for decades.

I think Marrone is awful and brings nothing in the way of innovation or intelligence, but even I wouldn't fire him now, unless there's a potential hire that's too good to pass up. Which isn't happening this offseason. Let him build his system... whatever it is... before the requisite 3 years passes and the public finally starts turning on him.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

Players talking about "getting it done?" That's your proof that he's changing the culture?

Give Marrone 2 more years. Unless we get a top 10 QB, our squad will give up once again.

agree ! the team need to define the QB of the future or Marrones best efforts will be for naught.

I am giving Marrone and Co. till next season to make a big improvement in the Offense (QB especially) .

Edited by 3rdand12

agree ! the team need to define the QB of the future or Marrones best efforts will be for naught.

I am giving Marrone and Co. till next season to make a big improvement in the Offense (QB especially) .

Marrone can extend his shelf life by having an alternative potential franchise QB next year if EJ plays poorly or blows out a knee in camp and is lost for the season, etc..

He really can't afford to play 10 games with a backup qulaity NFL QB.....be it a Ryan Fitzpatrick FA or a UDFA like Thad Lewis...... next year.

All the people saying they don't want EJ in an open competition against another 1st round prospect will not be forgiving of the plan if the team is out of the playoffs again next year and desperately trying to get a new QB with the 10th pick in the draft.

If Manuel fails and Marrone has a top prospect in waiting then he doesn't go into year three with a rookie QB.

As bad as Gailey's defense was, what ultimately did him in in year 3 was not having a promising young QB to turn to when all that technique work by David Lee didn't make Fitz a better QB.

If he had something cooking he would have gotten a fourth year. You would think that Whaley and Marrone would know this and not risk their careers on Manuel.

Marrone can extend his shelf life by having an alternative potential franchise QB next year if EJ plays poorly or blows out a knee in camp and is lost for the season, etc..

He really can't afford to play 10 games with a backup qulaity NFL QB.....be it a Ryan Fitzpatrick FA or a UDFA like Thad Lewis...... next year.

All the people saying they don't want EJ in an open competition against another 1st round prospect will not be forgiving of the plan if the team is out of the playoffs again next year and desperately trying to get a new QB with the 10th pick in the draft.

If Manuel fails and Marrone has a top prospect in waiting then he doesn't go into year three with a rookie QB.

As bad as Gailey's defense was, what ultimately did him in in year 3 was not having a promising young QB to turn to when all that technique work by David Lee didn't make Fitz a better QB.

If he had something cooking he would have gotten a fourth year. You would think that Whaley and Marrone would know this and not risk their careers on Manuel.

Do you think Whaley and Marrone dont have something at stake here ? How they deal with it we shall see.. So far not kinda bad not horrid considering

you are correct about Gaileys eggs in one basket.

i think his hands were tied a bit

The real problem for the Bills this year has been the inconsistency of mediocre QB's. I think Hackett did a great job given this problem, and Marrone has the team ready to play most weeks, even though they are out of playoff contention. The key issue is the Bills FO failing to adequately address the most important position on the team AGAIN by pinning their hopes on a rookie and injury prone veteran, and then when the injury prone veteran got injured, by hoping said rookie, who himself missed training camp, and an undrafted rookie and practice squad QB could get the job done.

I agree with this 100%. When the Kolb option fell through they were in a tough spot. That was on the front office. I think Marrone has potential to be a good coach. They need another good draft but they also need an experienced option at QB in case Manual doesn't progress as hoped. After next year we'll know.

Do you think Whaley and Marrone dont have something at stake here ? How they deal with it we shall see.. So far not kinda bad not horrid considering

you are correct about Gaileys eggs in one basket.

i think his hands were tied a bit

I think everybody in that building has an urgency to establish themselves as winners. Marrone's urgency is that new coaches are expected to win right away so time is a wasting for him. And at Ralph's age ownership could easily change entirely in as little as a year and a new owner isn't likely to pay $1B and retain losers. Like it or not, Russ has 15 years with a losing franchise and Whaley is in year 4.

I think everybody in that building has an urgency to establish themselves as winners. Marrone's urgency is that new coaches are expected to win right away so time is a wasting for him. And at Ralph's age ownership could easily change entirely in as little as a year and a new owner isn't likely to pay $1B and retain losers. Like it or not, Russ has 15 years with a losing franchise and Whaley is in year 4.

This is a good point.... while I would give Marrone time, and the Bills don't want to go find someone new already, a new owner may not think twice about buying out his contract if he wanted to make a change and new owners usually do if things aren't already where they want them.

Really? Tell me how Chip Kelly looks. His team was circling the drain until Vick gets injured and Foles took over. Heck, Kelly waited 3 weeks before he would even commit to Foles as his starter. You would think such an offensive genius could tell what he had in Foles and played him sooner.

PTR

PTR, it's all about production. The Eagles are producing more wins this year than last. And are you really knocking Kelly about Foles? Foles was a nobody until Kelly transformed him into a star. Apparently that process took a while because, by all accounts, Vick outplayed Foles in camp & preseason. Eventually, though, Kelly taught Foles to run his offense at a high level.

I'm not a Chip Kelly fan by any means. But - if you're an Iggles fan - you've got to be awfully encouraged by his first year. The Eagles had the 15th ranked offense in 2013 but are currently 2nd. Chip is an offensive guy and he's delivering.

Marrone is also an offensive guy but his impact has been less impressive. We'll probably finish the season with the same number of wins as last year. Our offense was ranked 17th last year but has slipped to 23rd this year despite running more plays. We averaged 5.6 yards per play last year. This year, we're gaining a paltry 4.8! And you can't blame it all on QB play. Spiller gained 6.0 yard per carry last year. Running in the Marrone/Hackett scheme, he's averaging only 4.5.

Marrone was smart enough to hire Pettine as his DC but he hasn't done crap with the offense - his specialty. Marrone may turn out to be a great NFL head coach some day but the naysayers have room to talk based on current production - especially when compared to Kelly's (or Andy Reid's).

PTR, it's all about production. The Eagles are producing more wins this year than last. And are you really knocking Kelly about Foles? Foles was a nobody until Kelly transformed him into a star. Apparently that process took a while because, by all accounts, Vick outplayed Foles in camp & preseason. Eventually, though, Kelly taught Foles to run his offense at a high level.

I'm not a Chip Kelly fan by any means. But - if you're an Iggles fan - you've got to be awfully encouraged by his first year. The Eagles had the 15th ranked offense in 2013 but are currently 2nd. Chip is an offensive guy and he's delivering.

Marrone is also an offensive guy but his impact has been less impressive. We'll probably finish the season with the same number of wins as last year. Our offense was ranked 17th last year but has slipped to 23rd this year despite running more plays. We averaged 5.6 yards per play last year. This year, we're gaining a paltry 4.8! And you can't blame it all on QB play. Spiller gained 6.0 yard per carry last year. Running in the Marrone/Hackett scheme, he's averaging only 4.5.

Marrone was smart enough to hire Pettine as his DC but he hasn't done crap with the offense - his specialty. Marrone may turn out to be a great NFL head coach some day but the naysayers have room to talk based on current production - especially when compared to Kelly's (or Andy Reid's).

IMO, it seemed like there were only a few games in which the Offense and Defense both played well. In the ATL game the offense was really good and despite the fumbles at the end had the team in place to win and the defense sucked. In the Cincy game - same thing (defense sucked in 1st half). In the KC game, both played well (600 yds offense on top D in league) but the TOs killed them. The Tampa game was an all-out fail but many teams have that flat game at least once a season, yes, even playoff teams. I saw enough in the 1st year to make me optimistic for next year, especially the division wins that Gailey never seemed to get.

Did you hear that? It was PTR'S point flying right over your head. Chip Kelly made the wrong QB decision but luckily the QB he thought was better got injured. Foles blew up and now Chip is a genius. Funny how that works.

Love the Bart Scott description of Belicheck a few years back: "One Mo Lewis hit away from the unemployment line"

Did you hear that? It was PTR'S point flying right over your head. Chip Kelly made the wrong QB decision but luckily the QB he thought was better got injured. Foles blew up and now Chip is a genius. Funny how that works.

Yeah, really!! I mean who didn't know Foles was a 25 TD/2 int, 110 rating QB sitting on Philly's bench all that time!

Stupid Chip Kelly starting the season with the team's starting QB instead of the backup who had lost 7 out of 8 games under Andy Reid!

I definitely "hear that"--awesome point!

Yeah, really!! I mean who didn't know Foles was a 25 TD/2 int, 110 rating QB sitting on Philly's bench all that time!

Stupid Chip Kelly starting the season with the team's starting QB instead of the backup who had lost 7 out of 8 games under Andy Reid!

I definitely "hear that"--awesome point!

So you agree with me that picking a QB is sometimes a crapshoot that can make a coach look better/worse depending on the outcome? Hard to see your point through all the exclamations!!!!!

+1,000,000

This is an excellent point!! The talent level on this team needs tweaking and major improvement at QB and TE. Marrone has shown a heck of a lot in his first year and I'm optimistic with the staff. I'd give him more rope than a Jauron or a Gailey who've done it before coming here. I love historical comparisons... before Noll, the Steelers STUNK for decades.

+1

Teams that win create a winning front office staff and coaching and stick with them. I want to give thismgroupmat least 4 years which it will not take that long to evaluate. That's what winning teams do. Andy Reid, Jeff Fisher, Tom Coughlin had bad years. They had consistency and it paid off in playoffs. I feel this is the best staff I've seen from management to coaching in a long time. Give them time and don't rush the fire threads so quickly.

It reminds me of companies that are so panicky to show positive earnings each quarter vs. having a good long term financial strategy. The difference is inmbulkmorders to look good for the quarter which means you play from behind the next quarter. It's short sighted strategy. It never ever works.

So you agree with me that picking a QB is sometimes a crapshoot that can make a coach look better/worse depending on the outcome? Hard to see your point through all the exclamations!!!!!

I was mocking your and PTR's contention that Kelly was foolish to go with Vick when the great Nick Foles was sitting on the bench.

I'm certainly no fan of Kelly, but he had to scrap a significant portion of his high speed offensive which was built around Vick when Vick got hurt. He had to adapt to Foles as a drop back pocket passer and he turned this notably mediocre backup into the hottest QB in the league.

That's not luck.

I was mocking your and PTR's contention that Kelly was foolish to go with Vick when the great Nick Foles was sitting on the bench.

I'm certainly no fan of Kelly, but he had to scrap a significant portion of his high speed offensive which was built around Vick when Vick got hurt. He had to adapt to Foles as a drop back pocket passer and he turned this notably mediocre backup into the hottest QB in the league.

That's not luck.

Maybe my point wasn't clear. I just used the example given by PTR (the first year coach used as example was arbitrary to me)to the poster that said Marrone was finished. You read far more into my post than what I actually wrote. I never said it was foolish or that Nick Foles was a known asset. I never said Chip was a bad coach. You made those inferences yourself. I did say that luck is sometimes involved. See Brady and Warner's first Super Bowl wins where they were both back ups to start the year. Here is what I meant. Please refute anything I say.

Based on how the season has played out:

Kelly made the wrong QB choice. Vick was not cutting it. Would I have started Vick? Yes. It still ended up being the wrong choice.

Kelly was forced to play Foles due to injury.

Kelly opted to stick with Foles after determining he was more effective after a few weeks of indecision.

Foles has been unbelievable.

Chip was getting beat up for not being an NFL coach before Foles blew up.

Chip is now getting praised as an offensive NFL genius because of Foles' play.

Did he change his offense? Yes. Complete overhaul? No.

Does he deserve credit? Yes.

Is Marrone already a failure? No.

Edit: I just looked up Foles stats from last year. They weren't awful. They look like rookie back up QB'S numbers. I think "notably mediocre" is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I agree with every point you made.

First and foremost I agree with replacing crossman. Punt return team makes me sick. Do they ever hold up the gunners? Leodis has a history of being successful returning punts and I can't even think of a good one he's had this year. And the penalties for blocks in the back are like clockwork. Punt team isn't much better. Doug has to know its bad. Replace crossman.

I'm warming up to the idea of a dedicated qb coach that works specifically on technique. If we had a seasoned vet and ej maybe it wouldn't be that important, but heck we have three very young qbs here. Has ejs footwork been improving? How bout Thad and ejs ball security in the pocket? Accuracy and reads improving? Two running qbs, have they even perfected sliding?

Counting on Stevie in crunch time is not a good idea. I don't like how he shows up his qb. Granted I like him better than graham.

Sorry I'm making old obvious points. Just trying to kill time before the game starts..