Coach Marrone

vegas55

I believe the line in Vegas was 6.5 wins for the Bills to start the year.

Yes, it was, and I have the over. Sure wish it didn't hinge on them having to win in NE. Not only do i have the Bills over 6.5, I have NE under 11. So either I win on the Bills and push on NE or lose both.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, please elaborate. How exactly do you know already that Marrone was a bad hire? He didn't lead his team to the playoffs. Yes. Did he take over a raging dumpster fire of a football team. Yes. I, for one, would say that this team has made progress. Perhaps it didn't show up significantly in the W/L column, but there were some bright spots. I'm curious to learn what has caused you to pass judgement on him so quickly?

Chan Gailey is the one that enherited a raging dumpster fire of a football team. Marrone...not so much. While there are holes there is an excellent core of talent on this team.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Okay, please elaborate. How exactly do you know already that Marrone was a bad hire?

Because he was never that good here in Syracuse. And I just didn't see anything that he did this year to give me much hope for the future. Marrone is like Barack Obama - inexperienced and completely in over his head.

Worse, the Bills have a high-maintenance QB in EJ Manuel. Manuel needs a lot of coaching (not to mention fewer injuries if that's possible) and I just don't see Marrone + Manuel = success.

Edited by PearlHowardman

I think we should do something similar with posting privileges. You have one month to post and if you fail to post something contributory or at least coherent then you lose your posting privileges permanently.

Yes, you'll still be allowed to read but you'll be prohibited from posting any more stupidity.

I have bad news for the OP,

YES! You have my vote on this one. The solution as you elude to is the exact opposite of this initial thread. I want this regime to get more than three years as we may actually have a good team. My dream is we keep this staff for several years and we get back an organization like the Steelers and so on.

My only ? Is Hackett. I still believe we give him at least two years, but if we don't improve on offensive production with a full year and I'm sure we'll draft some offensive talent. I firmly believe we can repeat top 10 defense, top 3 running game, and if we could just get to a top 15 passing offense with better 3rd down conversions, and red zone offense, we'll finally see the post season. Now Whaley, be smart resign Byrd, increase Pettine's salary like the Bucs did with Monty Kiffin years ago. Before people pick on that comment, back in the late 90's and early 2000's, Tampa had the most consistently top defense in the NFL which is why it's such a surprise to see Kiffin do soo poorly. My analogy was simply Tampa paid Kiffin as thE high.est coordinator in the NFL, and it paid off. They went to the playoffs almost every year, and most years they were top 5-7.

There really needs to be a minimum post count before you are able to start a thread......just terrible

I started a thead in the suggestion box a while back but then some newbe wrote a real good post and no body looks in the suggestion box anyway.

Chan Gailey is the one that enherited a raging dumpster fire of a football team. Marrone...not so much. While there are holes there is an excellent core of talent on this team.

Yeah, that 6-10 team with no QB, no LBers, 1 legitimate starting WR, and 1 (at the time) legitimate starting CB that Marrone inherited was such an excellent core of talent. I can't believe Gailey wasn't closer to Super Bowl glory with that powerhouse squad. Good point.

Because he was never that good here in Syracuse. And I just didn't see anything that he did this year to give me much hope for the future. Marrone is like Barack Obama - inexperienced and completely in over his head.

Worse, the Bills have a high-maintenance QB in EJ Manuel. Manuel needs a lot of coaching (not to mention fewer injuries if that's possible) and I just don't see Marrone + Manuel = success.

Dude you are the worst. Every post you write is just oozing with pessimism and negativity. I'm surprised you didn't mention how the owner is the root of our problems in this thread like you do in every other one. Honest question: what do you derive from posting on this website?

Marrone.." My question is, what does Marrone do around here? " geez really ?

Recall last season when team gave up. I mean really gave up .

Gailey couldnt even fake it anymore. The three year experiment was over mid season.

This culture in Buffalo Bills which permeates even the fan base to some some seriously painful depths , is no small mole hill to overcome.

Thats what Marrone is tasked to do . From top to bottom .

I dont understand the hatred from you Firechan . Its fairly obvious that Coach is turning this team around in spirit and believing they can win .

Listen to the players , the vets . actually listen to mic'd up .

These guys are talking about getting this thing turned around . He entrusts his OC /DC position coaches etc to the details and i am sure points out adjustments needed .

You sound like an old disgruntled employee FC. : )

The years and years of losing is difficult to purge for the new Captain of the ship. At least he is not just slapping new paint on it again and calling it good.

Part of the fun , for me , this season has been the ups and downs , the mistakes and the successes .

I believe he believes. and thats good enough for me right now.

Next season i might be more critical . We shall see

I have always tried to remain positive. i know the OP was a bit trollish, but he is on to something.

I just saw a lot of moments this year where the team looked not ready and Marrone in particular looked out of his league during a game and how he managed EJ.

I hope Marrone has learned a great deal this year and will grow from it. I do not really want to fire him.

One of the things Marrone needed to learn was that Hackett can not be both QB coach and OC in the NFL.

Marrone also needs to show his ST's coach the door.

During the year Marrone showed he was not afraid to make player changes in hopes of improvement, he now needs to apply that philosophy to his staff.

Address the SJ issue. Personally SJ to me is not a gamer. I am not talking about his character but about his inability to make plays when you need them. Please do not bring up the Carolina catch, even a broke clock is right twice a day and that was a catch anyone of us on here could have made. This type of person is not needed on this team. SJ needs to be traded for something while he has some value.

Marrone makes some of these moves and he will show me he has learned something and i will buy back into him. IF Marrone comes back with the same staff then we should be prepaired for much of the same next year.

I have always tried to remain positive. i know the OP was a bit trollish, but he is on to something.

I just saw a lot of moments this year where the team looked not ready and Marrone in particular looked out of his league during a game and how he managed EJ.

I hope Marrone has learned a great deal this year and will grow from it. I do not really want to fire him.

One of the things Marrone needed to learn was that Hackett can not be both QB coach and OC in the NFL.

Marrone also needs to show his ST's coach the door.

During the year Marrone showed he was not afraid to make player changes in hopes of improvement, he now needs to apply that philosophy to his staff.

Address the SJ issue. Personally SJ to me is not a gamer. I am not talking about his character but about his inability to make plays when you need them. Please do not bring up the Carolina catch, even a broke clock is right twice a day and that was a catch anyone of us on here could have made. This type of person is not needed on this team. SJ needs to be traded for something while he has some value.

Marrone makes some of these moves and he will show me he has learned something and i will buy back into him. IF Marrone comes back with the same staff then we should be prepaired for much of the same next year.

:thumbsup: .......completely fair

I agree wholeheartedly with Doug Marrone when asked to reflect on his first year as HC of the Billls. He offered no excuses, that their record was not acceptable. I think most would concur. I therefore recomend that Marrone and his staff be replaced and we start with a new regime that has a better chance of succeeding. Best wishes to Doug et. al at the very least he admitted his inability to turn things around and that is the best that anyone could ask.

During the last few months I have almost stopped reading the board and rarely contribute (Ok, so some of my past musings might not be seen as contributions but I tried.). The cause is the increase in trolls like this who could never be considered a fan of the team much less a thoughtful poster. It is frankly frustrating to sift through their pablum in search of something of value.

WHERE ARE THE MONITORS?

Yea, right ... let's fire the ushers and concession folks too. Anyone with a modicum of understanding of sports realizes that coaching transitions rarely if ever have produced a championship team. Coaches need time to evaluate players and then with the support of management make changes that will create "their team." As most of us know, in the first year under a new coach what you hope for is a positive adjustment in a team's approach towards winning. We have seen this in Marrone.

So, fire the trolls! And, celebrate our new head coach .... Let's see what actions he takes this off season.

WHERE ARE THE MONITORS?

So, fire the trolls!

If you think someone is trolling then don't respond to them. The quickest way to get rid of a troll is to ignore them. They are specifically doing what they do to push your buttons. When a troll reads how pissed off you are, you are giving them the very satisfaction they seek. Just ignore them. Skip that thread and go contribute on a thread that is more to your liking.

People are going to get mad here. It is a sports forum. If we were in a ginmill there would be fist fights here daily.

Marrone.." My question is, what does Marrone do around here? " geez really ?

Recall last season when team gave up. I mean really gave up .

Gailey couldnt even fake it anymore. The three year experiment was over mid season.

This culture in Buffalo Bills which permeates even the fan base to some some seriously painful depths , is no small mole hill to overcome.

Thats what Marrone is tasked to do . From top to bottom .

I dont understand the hatred from you Firechan . Its fairly obvious that Coach is turning this team around in spirit and believing they can win .

Listen to the players , the vets . actually listen to mic'd up .

These guys are talking about getting this thing turned around . He entrusts his OC /DC position coaches etc to the details and i am sure points out adjustments needed .

You sound like an old disgruntled employee FC. : )

The years and years of losing is difficult to purge for the new Captain of the ship. At least he is not just slapping new paint on it again and calling it good.

Part of the fun , for me , this season has been the ups and downs , the mistakes and the successes .

I believe he believes. and thats good enough for me right now.

Next season i might be more critical . We shall see

Players talking about "getting it done?" That's your proof that he's changing the culture?

Give Marrone 2 more years. Unless we get a top 10 QB, our squad will give up once again.

The real problem for the Bills this year has been the inconsistency of mediocre QB's. I think Hackett did a great job given this problem, and Marrone has the team ready to play most weeks, even though they are out of playoff contention. The key issue is the Bills FO failing to adequately address the most important position on the team AGAIN by pinning their hopes on a rookie and injury prone veteran, and then when the injury prone veteran got injured, by hoping said rookie, who himself missed training camp, and an undrafted rookie and practice squad QB could get the job done.

I think we are being hamstrung by a rookie QB/QBs that are not fully ready to be able to handle everything they need to be able to handle for us to take advantage of what we can do offensively...week after week huge plays that were wide open that were missed kept being highlighted by the all 22 film...this probably cost us at least two or three wins, but at the same time growing pains are to be expected with rookie QBs and the carousel that went on...

I think they are praying Manuel takes a big step this off-season/training camp and improves with more understanding and studying and working on improving fundamentals...

I feel Marrone and this staff are going to really put their stamp on this team and there will be some surprising "addition by subtraction" of players who aren't committed to winning the way they should be. That coupled with another year in the same schemes/systems, the growth of our rookies, and another strong draft/off-season and this has the makings of a potentially very good team that comes out if nowhere next season to challenge the Patriots for the division...this week would be a good start to let them know what's in store next year...

Edited by matter2003

Lets not pretend that we knew that our offseason free agent QB would slip on a bath mat and then knock himself out of playing 1 down for the Bills...or know that injuries would decimate our secondary and doom our season early, or that some our key vets would choke at key moments of season changing games...I for one will take this group of players and know that with a few FA moves and another strong draft class, we WILL be in the playoffs next year...there will be NO excuses

As for some of thread starters in the forum, seems some just crave attention...either way love this site and you all kept me sane during my tour here in Africa...thanks and Go Bills!!!

Hopefully we could get somebody new and fire them sooner, starting the cycle of rebuilding towards success that much more quickly. Because Harbaugh.

If we act quick maybe we could replace Whaley by free agency and replace his replacement by the draft too.

Lets not pretend that we knew that our offseason free agent QB would slip on a bath mat and then knock himself out of playing 1 down for the Bills...or know that injuries would decimate our secondary and doom our season early, or that some our key vets would choke at key moments of season changing games...I for one will take this group of players and know that with a few FA moves and another strong draft class, we WILL be in the playoffs next year...there will be NO excuses

As for some of thread starters in the forum, seems some just crave attention...either way love this site and you all kept me sane during my tour here in Africa...thanks and Go Bills!!!

Paulmac, thank you for your service and glad the site keeps you sane.

As for our "offseason FA QB", my view of Kolb's previous history is that his name is German for "Made of Glass". He was injured with Philly (concussion), injured with AZ (turf toe, concussion) - not much of a stretch to think he'd be injured with B'lo. Meanwhile we parted ways with a proven tough-as-nails WC system QB (TJax) who was snapped up in a hurry by a playoff team. So I would say "let's not pretend it wasn't reasonably predictable that Kolb would get knocked out and leave us with 2 rookie QB". Different viewpoints, different viewpoints.