Mario Williams deserves props

If you watch him throughout the game, Mario commanded so much of the offensive line's attention that it allowed other players to make plays. He and Freddie were the main reasons this team won, and an honorable mention to Stevie Johnson for some really sharp catches. Would I love to have signed Mario for a little less money, sure, who wouldn't, but the guy is definitely earning his pay this year, and the bashing at this point just seems pedantic.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, he had 10 sacks last year; that's not invisible.

I swear, on this board there's no middle ground; a guy's either a 1st ballot HOFer or a complete bust.

I swear, there is little to no appreciation for the game in general and competition in particular. I'm sure it's a reflection of something in our society, but I'm not sure exactly what. Few, if any, of the expectations we have for players, are steeped in reality.

GO BILLS!!!

He STILL stinks in division games. Who cares of he has 4 sacks against a nearly meaningless NFC game?

Read it perfectly fine - you said Mario's "play" reminded you of Bruce Smith -You need to watch games sober.....

Azucho, you keep referencing this. Obviously, no one is persuaded by this observation. I think it's time to let it go. Anyone can cherry pick stats to make virtually any player look good or bad.

Here's the most important stat of all: 10 sacks in the first 7 games. Bruce never did that. I don't think anyone is saying Mario is the 2nd coming of Bruce but arguing that Mario hasn't been impressive so far this year is lunacy. And he's getting these sacks despite frequent double-teams.

On a side note, he beat Tyson Clabo twice in the 4th quarter for his sacks. Didn't we all want to sign Clabo a couple years ago?

TBDs resident QB guru, I've grown to just believe that the opposite of whatever you say is reality. Mario has 20 sacks in his 23 games here and Tannehill still sucks.

That's a great stat. Watching the game, you could tell it was only a matter of time before they got to the quarterback. Mario was just overpowering Martin and it was only a matter of time before he broke through. He was awesome yesterday when we needed him.

If you include pressures, Smit's best season was clearly 1996. He had 14 sacks, but he had an insane 47 pressures and was a great run defender by then too. He was defensive player of the year too.

I think that was the year we had Bryce Paup on the other side and he had something like 17 sacks. Both Bruce and Bryce benefited from having the other on the opposite side.

That's a great stat. Watching the game, you could tell it was only a matter of time before they got to the quarterback. Mario was just overpowering Martin and it was only a matter of time before he broke through. He was awesome yesterday when we needed him.

You mean Clabo!

Was it me or was Mario on the right side most of the game, and then late in the 4th he moved tothe left, and got us the two sacks to win the game.

Maybe there really is something to him wanting to be on the left side? Someone should do an analysis of where his 10 sacks this season have come from, right or left.

He was also on grass, someone here has a stat where Mario gets all or most his sacks on Grass

Was it me or was Mario on the right side most of the game, and then late in the 4th he moved tothe left, and got us the two sacks to win the game.

Maybe there really is something to him wanting to be on the left side? Someone should do an analysis of where his 10 sacks this season have come from, right or left.

He was also on grass, someone here has a stat where Mario gets all or most his sacks on Grass

He was flip flopping all game, and tossed Martin (LT) around on more than one occasion.

That stat about grass is wrong, at least as far as this season is concerned. 6 of his 10 sacks this season have been at home on the field turf; the other 4 have come on grass (at Cleveland and Miami).

I know last season he had 6 of his 10 on turf (1 each vs. Mia, Jax, and St.L at home, and 3 at Indy)

Dude, he had 10 sacks last year; that's not invisible.

I swear, on this board there's no middle ground; a guy's either a 1st ballot HOFer or a complete bust.

Or, if you don't think that Mario is the most overrated, overpaid player in NFL history then you think that hes the best DE who ever played, worthy of every penny.

Typical TBD argument, if you disagree with someone then you automatically believe the contra-positive to be true.

Something that got overlooked - he was very influential in the opening pick-6. Collapsed the pocket and took down Tannehill - blocking the throwing lane and making him release early off balance. Robey made a great play but without Mario's pressure I'm not sure that was a pick-6.

Something that got overlooked - he was very influential in the opening pick-6. Collapsed the pocket and took down Tannehill - blocking the throwing lane and making him release early off balance. Robey made a great play but without Mario's pressure I'm not sure that was a pick-6.

I missed this when it happened because it was so early. I should have some time later to look at the game rewind so il try to grade out Mario

Tremendous 4th quarter by him. He is the main reason we were able to pull of a victory late today.

Early in the game I saw him just throw Johnathan Martin like a rag doll. Dude is a beast and is finally healthy.

10 sacks in 7 games. Tremendous

Yup. Virtually took control of the Bills D from the last half of the 4th quarter on. His strip-sack iced for the Bills. Way to go, Mario!

Skelton since the trade Deadline when Buddy was asleep at the wheel

95/173 (54%) 2 TDs 8 INTs and 4.7 yards per attempt

Cut By the Cards, Bengals and 49ers

Mario Williams

17 sacks

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario is worth every penny.

now we need someone like him coming from the other side.

We already do...Jerry Hughes is ranked 3rd in the NFL in QB disruption index---which is pass rush attempts/(sacks+hits+hurries), ranking even ahead of Williams who is 8th...

Mario gets props here...Pro Football Focus@PFF

3m

Your pre-MNF look at the 'Team of the Week'... assembling a complete line-up of Week 7's best performances... http://bit.ly/TOTWk7

Note Hughes was in there as honorable mention as well...he helped caused the last sack as he drove his man back and closed in on Tannehill and gave him no where to move as the pocket was being pushed by Dareus and Kyle as well...

the strip was huge, and should count as a sack. honestly, between sacking tanehill to get him out of field goal range and getting the strip, he easily is the most valuble player for the day.

He was also responsable for the Roby pick six, hurrying Tanne into a bad throw!