EJ named starter for Sunday

Doc

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be the one to say it -- BB's defenses haven't struck fear into anyone in some time. Yes, EJ is a rookie, but he is also being prepared by some very good coaches and has had the opportunity to see mixed/disguised coverages and pressure consistently from Pettine's defense in practice.

Based upon every public appearance of EJ's I've seen to date, the stage won't be "too big" for him -- but I do worry he'll be too hyped up at the start. That's why I'd like to see Hackett get aggressive early with some go routes to TJ off play action, and see if we can hit one to keep the defense honest. Allowing EJ to air it out would also, I'd presume, calm him down. I believe several of the passes he missed in his first game against Indy were the result of being too excited. Once he settled down, he was excellent. Also, he seemingly learned from that experience because when he saw action against Minnesota his first drive was his best.

I make no predictions about the outcome of this game -- the Pats* are the #1 survivor pool pick according to the experts -- but the fact is the Bills have a number of dangerous weapons and a QB with the arm talent to get them ball; BB has to be at least a bit concerned.

But Belichick will never know what hit him if Tuel comes in for a handoff on the first play.

Your response is currently being discussed in another thread. If you feel the need to respond on this matter further, or wish to raise the possibility that Byrd's foot injury is just an attempt at subterfuge, please do so there.

:)

Not a surprised after they cut QB Lewis, ( even tho they brought him back to the PS)

I cant wait for Sunday to see what goes down. Haven't been pumped up for a season opener like this for years.

Is it just me that thinks that even tho the Bills might lose they win by just starting E.J. now? I mean he gonna have to learn the hard way early but it will benefit the team in the long run.

I hope the first offensive play is a 7 step drop back max protect and let E.J. bomb it to Graham or Goodwin. Even if its incomplete they had to take them out of the 8 man box early because Bellicheat is gonna try to take C.J. out the game early.

I don't say this to be a jerk...but I fully expect EJ to struggle on Sunday

- Missed weeks of preseason

- A rookie to begin with

- Going against a BB coached team

If Marone is smart he will pound the ball and continue to pound it even if we fall behind.....if Pettines defense struggles we will get blown out.

I hope to be wrong....but my thing is this season is 16 games long and I see this team getting better every week....and be scary when wildcards are being d

No matter how prepared or healthy or rusty EJ is, it would be smart to pound the ball all day long: Spiller right, Spiller left, Jackson right, Jackson left, we may even give Choice a carry or two, and who's our fullback now? give him a few as well, etc.

And let's not forget, for all the excitement about our new highly aggressive defense (which I'm all in favor of), they were still getting gashed in the preseason running game (which was a huge issue last year--NEWS FLASH: our biggest problems from last year was not the QB or the offense). The longer we can keep our defense off the field, the better for everyone.

I don't say this to be a jerk...but I fully expect EJ to struggle on Sunday

- Missed weeks of preseason

- A rookie to begin with

- Going against a BB coached team

If Marone is smart he will pound the ball and continue to pound it even if we fall behind.....if Pettines defense struggles we will get blown out.

I hope to be wrong....but my thing is this season is 16 games long and I see this team getting better every week....and be scary when wildcards are being d

There are reasons for genuine optimism ...

- low expectations puts very little pressure on him (this is a big factor IMO) and his teammates

- new "can't touch em" league rules are extremely favorable to QBs, especially ones like EJ who are big, fast and mobile.

- Bills are playing at home

- they have players who can take it to the house on any play

Having said that it's so hard to predict week one games let alone what a rookie starting QB will do. Much easier to predict what Brady will probably do. All in all, I'm so glad the Bills are being portrayed as such huge underdogs. I think the Bills play a very good game because they have such little pressure and there will be so much emotion. The NFL lives off of favored teams not taking opposing teams seriously enough. It's human nature.

Edited by 1billsfan

No matter how prepared or healthy or rusty EJ is, it would be smart to pound the ball all day long: Spiller right, Spiller left, Jackson right, Jackson left, we may even give Choice a carry or two, and who's our fullback now? give him a few as well, etc.

And let's not forget, for all the excitement about our new highly aggressive defense (which I'm all in favor of), they were still getting gashed in the preseason running game (which was a huge issue last year--NEWS FLASH: our biggest problems from last year was not the QB or the offense). The longer we can keep our defense off the field, the better for everyone.

Actually, it's not the play selection that concerns me, but whether Hackett and Marrone go up tempo/no huddle. It's a valid point that if you run the no-huddle and you don't make a 3rd down, your D gets a whole 27 seconds off the field.

There would be a lot to be said for huddling up and taking our time the first couple drives

Actually, it's not the play selection that concerns me, but whether Hackett and Marrone go up tempo/no huddle. It's a valid point that if you run the no-huddle and you don't make a 3rd down, your D gets a whole 27 seconds off the field.

There would be a lot to be said for huddling up and taking our time the first couple drives

Given that there will be 2 tv breaks at least between appearances by the D, it will be longer than 27 seconds. The punt on 4th down will take that long by itself.

I'm going to be the one to say it -- BB's defenses haven't struck fear into anyone in some time. Yes, EJ is a rookie, but he is also being prepared by some very good coaches and has had the opportunity to see mixed/disguised coverages and pressure consistently from Pettine's defense in practice.

Based upon every public appearance of EJ's I've seen to date, the stage won't be "too big" for him -- but I do worry he'll be too hyped up at the start. That's why I'd like to see Hackett get aggressive early with some go routes to TJ off play action, and see if we can hit one to keep the defense honest. Allowing EJ to air it out would also, I'd presume, calm him down. I believe several of the passes he missed in his first game against Indy were the result of being too excited. Once he settled down, he was excellent. Also, he seemingly learned from that experience because when he saw action against Minnesota his first drive was his best.

I make no predictions about the outcome of this game -- the Pats* are the #1 survivor pool pick according to the experts -- but the fact is the Bills have a number of dangerous weapons and a QB with the arm talent to get them ball; BB has to be at least a bit concerned.

I'd like to see this as well. We haven't seen 'the Bomb' in any of the 4 pre season games, but we've read about it every day @ SJF. (Ranks again, Rastro!)

Yes, Pettine has shown EJ a lot, but BB's forte is defense and -while rarely discussed- his teams play a different defense in the 4th quarter of close games. They'll show a formation the OL has been dealing with all day, then drastically change something up. Their consistent 12 win seasons aren't JUST because of Brady. They seem to always have a critical great play by their defense in the 4th quarter that seals wins. Then again, history will show we were the 'Buffalo Bills' of Brady's career..

Anybody remember Jim Kelly's first game as a Bill?

It was against the then AFCE tough guys - the JESTS and the NY Sack Exchange.

Joe Klecko got an unsportsmanlike penalty for "Giving him the business down there" after a sack and a scrum.

Kelly's brothers were pizzed that the OLine didn't come to the defense of their brother.

Bills lost that game - but won the war.

Joe Klecko got an unsportsmanlike penalty for "Giving him the business down there" after a sack and a scrum.

Kelly's brothers were pizzed that the OLine didn't come to the defense of their brother.

You're mixing up Jets games. Giving him the business was not Kelly's debut.

Being at the Kelly opener, it was clear that even though bills lost the game, a new era had begun. Let's hope we see same signs on Sunday.

New York Jets 28 at Buffalo Bills 24

Sunday, September 7, 1986

Kelly : 20 for 33, 292 yards, 3 TD's , 0 int's

Marty Lyons was involved in one of the best-known plays in NFL lore. During the Jets' 14-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills at the Meadowlands on October 5, 1986, Lyons sacked Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly and then started to punch him repeatedly. Lyons was flagged for a personal foul by referee Ben Dreith for "giving him the business." Dreith mistakenly assessed the foul against number 99, which was Gastineau's number, instead of calling Lyons' number 93.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Lyons

Edited by papazoid