• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New York Jets 28 at Buffalo Bills 24

Sunday, September 7, 1986

Kelly : 20 for 33, 292 yards, 3 TD's , 0 int's

Bell, Reed and Metzalaars on the receiving end of those TDs. Indeed, a new era began. 'Giving him the bidniz' was a later Jet game.

Spiller and Chandler will be EJ's best friends Sunday. Handoffs and safety-valve dump-offs.

How is this news? If you have a brain you knew about a week ago he was going to start

Well then, you should have posted this last week.

Just got the update via text that EJ will be named the starter. No link so I copy and pasted the info. Mods, feel free to delete or edit as you see fit because there is no link. Don't want to get in trouble here.

"The signs were certainly encouraging when EJ Manuel stepped onto the practice field for the first time this past Sunday. Now just over two weeks after undergoing minor knee surgery Manuel has been named the starting quarterback for Buffalo's season opener against New England Sunday.

Head coach Doug Marrone made the announcement to the team at a 7:45 am meeting Wednesday. The athletic training staff and coaches put Manuel through a battery of tests over the past few days with the primary focus on his mobility. All parties wanted to be sure that Manuel was physically capable of escaping trouble in the pocket if and when it presented itself.

The Bills top draft choice obviously passed with flying colors. All along Manuel has put in extra work in an effort to accelerate his recovery from a knee injury in the team's second preseason game and subsequent surgery. Those efforts have apparently paid off.

"Each day my injury has gotten better, and I've been doing two or three treatments a day," said Manuel. "That's helped me a lot."

At the same time Manuel is not surprised that his recovery ran ahead of schedule, as the original target date to begin practicing again was today.

"I'm not really surprised," he said. "I try to work hard at everything. I can control whatever I can control, and I can control trying to get my knee better, and that's what I've done."

The Bills top draft choice said once cleared and given the green light to play he would not think about his injury at all when he's out on the field Sunday.

"When you play, and if you're going to play, you can't think about any injuries that you have, whether it's something you had a procedure on, or a sprained finger or something like that," he said. "You've just got to go out there and play."

More details later today on this story on Buffalobills.com."

I don't say this to be a jerk...but I fully expect EJ to struggle on Sunday

- Missed weeks of preseason

- A rookie to begin with

- Going against a BB coached team

If Marone is smart he will pound the ball and continue to pound it even if we fall behind.....if Pettines defense struggles we will get blown out.

I hope to be wrong....but my thing is this season is 16 games long and I see this team getting better every week....and be scary when wildcards are being d

Honestly, John, this is my only realistic expectation for the upcoming season. That's not defeatist at all. With new systems on both sides, one of the youngest rosters in the league, and a rookie QB to boot, it makes sense to temper expectations with the reality of the situation. As long as I'm seeing "compete" on every snap and an improvement throughout the season where I can see they are building, I'm OK with it.

I've said it before, but this is shades of '86 and a team that grew up together as they learned how to win together. And the sooner EJ makes this his team, the better.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't say this to be a jerk...but I fully expect EJ to struggle on Sunday

- Missed weeks of preseason

- A rookie to begin with

- Going against a BB coached team

If Marone is smart he will pound the ball and continue to pound it even if we fall behind.....if Pettines defense struggles we will get blown out.

I hope to be wrong....but my thing is this season is 16 games long and I see this team getting better every week....and be scary when wildcards are being d

Agreed.

Which is exactly why I'm so confused by all the posts in the last week or so that point out our only chance on Sunday is if EJ is playing.

May be the opposite.