EJ named starter for Sunday

Doc

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Report: Bills expected to start E.J. Manuel against Patriots

According to Peter Schrager of FOXSports.com, Bills head coach Doug Marrone is expected to name E.J. Manuel the Bills Week 1 starter on Wednesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/03/report-bills-expected-to-start-e-j-manuel-against-patriots/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Edited by papazoid

I don't say this to be a jerk...but I fully expect EJ to struggle on Sunday

- Missed weeks of preseason

- A rookie to begin with

- Going against a BB coached team

If Marone is smart he will pound the ball and continue to pound it even if we fall behind.....if Pettines defense struggles we will get blown out.

I hope to be wrong....but my thing is this season is 16 games long and I see this team getting better every week....and be scary when wildcards are being d

- A rookie to begin with

If Marone is smart he will pound the ball and continue to pound it even if we fall behind.....if Pettines defense struggles we will get blown out.

I hope to be wrong....but my thing is this season is 16 games long and I see this team getting better every week....and be scary when wildcards are being d

I'm also trying to set low expectations (don't know how successful I'm being though). I know that EJ is our best option, but missing those preseason weeks isn't trivial.

- A rookie to begin with

Yeah but the great thing about EJ, judging from pre-season is that he can play poorly for a few drives and they straighten out. He doesn't get down. He just keeps playing till it clicks. So, yeah he will struggle. Hopefully the D will keep things close until it starts working for EJ.

PTR

- A rookie to begin with

While I, too, expect him to struggle, I also think that his stat line may not be a good barometer for how he played. We could get killed by 28 points and EJ could throw for 190 yards and 1 TD with 1 INT and he could have a very promising game. This week, to me, is all about whether the game is too big for him right now or not. He may not be ready, for about ten different reasons, but if he doesn't make a lot of mistakes, it will be a huge win, IMO. He's going to see 25 things he has never seen before. He's likely going to be playing from behind a lot of the game. He missed two weeks. We will likely be out of our conservative game plan in the second quarter. The Patriots are going to try to rattle/hurt him.

How he reacts to that is going to be a better indication than stats or score.

- A rookie to begin with

I expect him to struggle plenty this year, all rookie QBs do. I also expect countless posters after he struggles to suggest he's a bust.

Edited by MDH