EJ named starter for Sunday

Doc

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but the great thing about EJ, judging from pre-season is that he can play poorly for a few drives and they straighten out. He doesn't get down. He just keeps playing till it clicks. So, yeah he will struggle. Hopefully the D will keep things close until it starts working for EJ.

PTR

Very true - he was that way at FSU, as well.

Honestly, John, this is my only realistic expectation for the upcoming season. That's not defeatist at all. With new systems on both sides, one of the youngest rosters in the league, and a rookie QB to boot, it makes sense to temper expectations with the reality of the situation. As long as I'm seeing "compete" on every snap and an improvement throughout the season where I can see they are building, I'm OK with it.

I've said it before, but this is shades of '86 and a team that grew up together as they learned how to win together. And the sooner EJ makes this his team, the better.

GO BILLS!!!

This is how I feel exactly. We may win against the Pats. We may lose. But I have a feeling a new day is dawning for the Bills and I'm excited to see EJ under center.

Anybody remember Jim Kelly's first game as a Bill?

It was against the then AFCE tough guys - the JESTS and the NY Sack Exchange.

Joe Klecko got an unsportsmanlike penalty for "Giving him the business down there" after a sack and a scrum.

Kelly's brothers were pizzed that the OLine didn't come to the defense of their brother.

Bills lost that game - but won the war.

It was Marty Lyons not Klecko.

I'm glad Marrone showed the cards, it says we aren't afraid of them game planning. It's not going to help since we showed possibly 10% of Hackett's playbook in the preseason. This offense is going to have a lot of different looks as well as the D. That is our one biggest benefit of two new coordinators and a new coach. I love that Marrone can sit back and let his coordinators run things and he can manage the game and make the right decisions. We haven't had this in so long. So pumped to watch them compete on Sunday , it is a dawn of a new day for the Buffalo Bills. We'll be much more exciting to watch then prior years even if EJ struggles a bit out of the gate.

Thats so foolish!!! Why give the pats time to watch tape on Manuel! they should have told Manuel but they shouldn't have announced it to the public! Now the Pats have plenty of time to get ready for Manuel. Not to smart of a choice by Marrone. :doh:

There isn't exactly a lot of tape to watch...and what can they gather from less than a game against Indy and less than a quarter against Minnesota?

The book will come out after 4-5 games as to how to defend against him. That's when he needs to adjust his game.

While I, too, expect him to struggle, I also think that his stat line may not be a good barometer for how he played. We could get killed by 28 points and EJ could throw for 190 yards and 1 TD with 1 INT and he could have a very promising game. This week, to me, is all about whether the game is too big for him right now or not. He may not be ready, for about ten different reasons, but if he doesn't make a lot of mistakes, it will be a huge win, IMO. He's going to see 25 things he has never seen before. He's likely going to be playing from behind a lot of the game. He missed two weeks. We will likely be out of our conservative game plan in the second quarter. The Patriots are going to try to rattle/hurt him.

How he reacts to that is going to be a better indication than stats or score.

I agree, Its the 1st game of the regular season against a very tough opponent. Its not a make or break game for EJ Manuel

Having a smooth transition into the NFL is what matters most. (Although I for one expect a close game)

Thats so foolish!!! Why give the pats time to watch tape on Manuel! they should have told Manuel but they shouldn't have announced it to the public! Now the Pats have plenty of time to get ready for Manuel. Not to smart of a choice by Marrone. :doh:

Did you ever think that maybe Marrone is pulling a fast one so that the Pats won't be able to prep for Tuel?

The Bills have 10+ years of tape on Brady. So I guess that gives us the QB advantage?