The possible end of an era for Buffalo as a franchise

This is not a Ralph Wilson should go away post. I have not heard anyone go into depth about what this upcoming season could bring if Ralph Wilson passes during the season.

Let's say hypothetically the Bills finish 4-12, as many experts expect us to do. E.J. Manuels rookie season looks more like Blaine Gabberts than RG3s, which is fairly likely if history is any indicator for this team. Doug Marrone does a decent but not great job in his first year (also likely). And Ralph Wilson passes during the season. What would happen?

Although there are a lot of hypothiticals there is a good chance all of this may happen.

My thoughts would be the Wilson family would sell the team to the highest bidder and the new owners would likely want to start from scratch (Brandon included) with a team that missed the playoffs for a 14th straight year and a QB and coach that did not show any great potential in this league. My guess is we might be talking about drafting Manziel with 1 of the top 3 picks in next years draft.

I hope this is not the way the season plays out but then again it might all be for the best. So assuming Manuel, Marone, and the Bills struggle which is fairly likely and Wilson passes what do you think happens to the Buffalo Bills next offseason?

This is not a Ralph Wilson should go away post. I have not heard anyone go into depth about what this upcoming season could bring if Ralph Wilson passes during the season.

Let's say hypothetically the Bills finish 4-12, as many experts expect us to do. E.J. Manuels rookie season looks more like Blaine Gabberts than RG3s, which is fairly likely if history is any indicator for this team. Doug Marrone does a decent but not great job in his first year (also likely). And Ralph Wilson passes during the season. What would happen?

Although there are a lot of hypothiticals there is a good chance all of this may happen.

My thoughts would be the Wilson family would sell the team to the highest bidder and the new owners would likely want to start from scratch (Brandon included) with a team that missed the playoffs for a 14th straight year and a QB and coach that did not show any great potential in this league. My guess is we might be talking about drafting Manziel with 1 of the top 3 picks in next years draft.

I hope this is not the way the season plays out but then again it might all be for the best. So assuming Manuel, Marone, and the Bills struggle which is fairly likely and Wilson passes what do you think happens to the Buffalo Bills next offseason?

Any lotto numbers?

The sky is falling. The sky is falling.

F5 F5 F5....I need updates

LONG TERM:

#1- with Toronto, the Bills are the 4th LARGEST nfl market. that is a very desirable size market. bills unlikely to relocate anywhere, plus it helps that the L.A. situation is messed up.

#2- they recently signed a 7 year lease with a $400 million poison pill buyout. while not iron clad, it is a sizable deterrent for relocation. other franchises are more likely to move before buffalo (i.e. jax, san diego, raiders).

#3- when ralph passes, of course they sell to the highest bidder and russ is likely out.

SHORT TERM:

#1- doug whaley probably stays in any scenario of ownership change and/or a very high draft pick.

#2- I doubt they take a QB with the #1 pick in 2014, even if a top 3 pick. besides, the bills will be picking 7th.

This is going to come across as terrible but I will try to explain. If Ralph died in the next year it is more likely that the team will remain in WNY than if he passes in say 5 years. The way that the lease agreement is structured the real chance to "opt-out" comes after year 7. No one is going to buy the team and wait 6 years to relocate and no one is going to pay that penalty to opt-out before year 7. The people that would purchase in the next couple of years would certainly do so with the intent to remain in WNY.

A decade from now, likely will not need a two bills drive website. Unfortunately. Buffalo market to small to play in the big money NFL long term. I don't like it, but I am prepared for it. Just check the demographics in this country, lots of bigger venues to move to....with better weather as well, meaning potential sell outs in November and December, something not seen here since the playoff days of Jim Kelly.

Has it been about 2 months since the last "If Ralph dies what happens to the Bills?" Post?

Like Pap said, with the Toronto market and the 7-10 year contract in place, we will be fine.

I'm surprised the OP Didnt include that Jim Kelly now recovering from cancer won't be in the right place to buy the team.

Get over it bridge jumpers, the Bills aren't going anywhere.

A decade from now, likely will not need a two bills drive website. Unfortunately. Buffalo market to small to play in the big money NFL long term. I don't like it, but I am prepared for it. Just check the demographics in this country, lots of bigger venues to move to....with better weather as well, meaning potential sell outs in November and December, something not seen here since the playoff days of Jim Kelly.

there we go, that's better. I knew at least one more bridge jumper would get in line. The world is ending, the world is ending.

If Ralph died it would take two to three years before the team would be sold. It would likely operate as is for that timeframe or relatively close.

That 7 year lease would be closer to coming into play, but the current team and coach would most likely not be in jeopardy immediately.

Buffalo has been in the AFL/NFL since 1960. That's pretty long term to me and the TV contracts have not suffered because of Buffalo. I don't think the networks go to the NFL and offer less money because Buffalo is a small market. Not a good argument.

I'm assuming you are not a motivational speaker, if so you should consider a occupational change!

Such doom and gloom after all the positives coming out of camp.

Just grab a big ol' jug of the kool-aid and swig it down like the rest of us!

Way too many hypothiticals to even get worked up over.

:beer:

I love your optimism.

The chatter coming out of Moscow today is Putin is interested in buying a NFL team. So there's that too.

Buffalo has a 52 year history of selling tickets; when the team wins, lots of tickets. There are larger cities with franchises that do not do that. Additionally, Buffalo has, perhaps, the most advantageous TO THE OWNER lease agreement of any in the league. It costs Ralph and the future owner nearly nothing to play at the Ralph. Jarra Jones, on the other hand, frantically works to schedule non football events at his 1.2 billion playpen in order to pay his mortgage. A rabit fan base + low facility costs are good reasons for any owner to want to stay here. Add the fact that each team gets most of it's revenue from TV contracts and the reason for not moving the franchise become ever more compelling. I think we should all relax and enjoy our team.

LONG TERM:

#3- when ralph passes, of course they sell to the highest bidder and russ is likely out.

And if Terry Pegula is the highest bidder then Russ is out and President/CEO title goes to Darcy Regier for his success with the hockey team................or is it suffering?

LONG TERM:

#1- with Toronto, the Bills are the 4th LARGEST nfl market. that is a very desirable size market. bills unlikely to relocate anywhere, plus it helps that the L.A. situation is messed up.

#2- they recently signed a 7 year lease with a $400 million poison pill buyout. while not iron clad, it is a sizable deterrent for relocation. other franchises are more likely to move before buffalo (i.e. jax, san diego, raiders).

SHORT TERM:

#1- doug whaley probably stays in any scenario of ownership change and/or a very high draft pick.

#2- I doubt they take a QB with the #1 pick in 2014, even if a top 3 pick. besides, the bills will be picking 7th.

I agree the Bills aren't going away any time soon. But linking us with Toronto is a bit of a stretch. TO watches the Bills, and Canadians attend Bills games to a certain extent. But saying Buffalo is the 4th biggest market is misleading. We don't have the 4th biggest fan base. We don't have the 4th highest TV ratings nor the 4th highest merchandise sales. Torontonians don't support the Bills the way Buffalonians do. Toronto is just too far away to be considered the same market.

And I have to say, there are reasons to worry about the long term viability of the Bills.

Imagine you are a billionaire entrepreneur buying the Bills when Ralph passes and, doing your due diligence, you know these trends... In 1900, Buffalo was the 8th biggest city in the US. By 1960, the year Ralph started the Bills, Buffalo was still in the Top 20 (#20). Buffalo is now the 49th biggest metro area in the US. Our ranking is collapsing.

Worse yet, Buffalo is not a particularly affluent market - we're ranked 55th in metro GDP. There are many cities with more money and more people and better futures than Buffalo where a NFL team could thrive.

After spending almost a billion dollars to buy the Bills, why keep them in Buffalo?

We all need to hope the Bills are purchased by a Buffalo homer.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922422.html

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,25513.0.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Fwiw, I am not sure that Russ is out after an ownership transfer. He has a rock solid reputation around the league and good relationships with some of the rumored ownership groups (ie Kelly).

I agree. Russ Brandon has had a big hand in developing this franchise from a business perspective over the past decade. Its likely that he doesn't have the money but maybe he can develop plans for an ownership group. Russ Brandon would be favored above anyone else in regards to league approval of the sale.

The Bills' growth in the southern ontario market is something that can't be ignored. At this point moving the franchise to Toronto would alienate part of Ontario let alone all of Upstate NY.

I agree the Bills aren't going away any time soon. But linking us with Toronto is a bit of a stretch. TO watches the Bills, and Canadians attend Bills games to a certain extent. But saying Buffalo is the 4th biggest market is misleading. We don't have the 4th biggest fan base. We don't have the 4th highest TV ratings nor the 4th highest merchandise sales. Torontonians don't support the Bills the way Buffalonians do. Toronto is just too far away to be considered the same market.

And I have to say, there are reasons to worry about the long term viability of the Bills.

Imagine you are a billionaire entrepreneur buying the Bills when Ralph passes and, doing your due diligence, you know these trends... In 1900, Buffalo was the 8th biggest city in the US. By 1960, the year Ralph started the Bills, Buffalo was still in the Top 20 (#20). Buffalo is now the 49th biggest metro area in the US. Our ranking is collapsing.

Worse yet, Buffalo is not a particularly affluent market - we're ranked 55th in metro GDP. There are many cities with more money and more people and better futures than Buffalo where a NFL team could thrive.

After spending almost a billion dollars to buy the Bills, why keep them in Buffalo?

We all need to hope the Bills are purchased by a Buffalo homer.

Why you ask? Because that billionaire new owner would likely have to spend another billion to build a stadium. How long would it take for that owner to recover that cost in a new city? (I like to be optomistic. It's too early in the week for gloom and doom.)

I agree. Russ Brandon has had a big hand in developing this franchise from a business perspective over the past decade.

Brandon has actually had a big hand in 13 years of crap product. Not a decade. Coincidently the same amount of time the Bills have endured their latest chapter(s) of suck.

Is it all Brandon's fault? No. But from a business perspective is all he is worth. He can sell tickets delivering a garbage product year after year. he is not a football man. But make no mistake selling hope is one of his biggest skills. And, after Littman and Overdorf will be the next executive fired when new ownership arrives.

Brandon has actually had a big hand in 13 years of crap product. Not a decade. Coincidently the same amount of time the Bills have endured their latest chapter(s) of suck.

Is it all Brandon's fault? No. But from a business perspective is all he is worth. He can sell tickets delivering a garbage product year after year. he is not a football man. But make no mistake selling hope is one of his biggest skills. And, after Littman and Overdorf will be the next executive fired when new ownership arrives.

Not all about "selling tickets". It is about securing local contracts (ie Toronto) and other non-traditional unshared revenue sources to compete with the larger markets. The revenues that large market teams can generate drive the cap each year. NY may make $50M a year in suite sales and Buffalo $7M. That drives the cap year over year but Buffalo cannot continue to raise prices to off-set that number. Although the revenue is shared it still drives the cap. What Russ has been able to do is creatively generate large chunks of $$ to off-set the gaps that they cannot make up for in traditional manners. That is why his reputation is strong around the league. Not simply because he advertises and sells tickets in Rochester and Ontario.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is not a well thought-out argument because, while I agree that Buffalo isn't Miami or San Diego, THOSE PLACES ALREADY HAVE TEAMS. There aren't these giant markets with beautiful palm trees and rabid football fans just sitting there. Who are possible football markets in North America? Toronto? This Bills-Toronto thing has been a godsend if nothing else because it has exposed Toronto as not being an NFL market. No one's moving a team there at this point. Oklahoma City? San Antonio? Sorry, neither are bigger enough than Buffalo for a new owner to roll the dice on either of them being a good football market. The difference in market sizes between them and Buffalo is too small for someone to justify moving a team like the Bills with such a rich football tradition. That leaves LA. LA is the only market that anyone should worry about. That is why we have to hope that San Diego, Oakland or Jacksonville move there first because, despite the recent hiccup, I can assure you that LA gets a team at some point. But please stop pretending that there are all these big "nice weather" markets just sitting there waiting for a team to fall into their laps.