Federal Charges against the men who recorded Buddy Nix

Actually radio stations can get in HUGE trouble for broadcasting prank phone calls. In fact it's illegal to record any phone call without letting someone know BEFORE you start.

Yes stations do get away punking people, then letting them in on the joke later and getting permission to air the call. But it is illegal to do that. There must be prior consent.

PTR

I've heard plenty of live pranks aired.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually radio stations can get in HUGE trouble for broadcasting prank phone calls. In fact it's illegal to record any phone call without letting someone know BEFORE you start.

Yes stations do get away punking people, then letting them in on the joke later and getting permission to air the call. But it is illegal to do that. There must be prior consent.

PTR

You're wasting your breath arguing with Mr. know-it-all.

Wonder if this was the NFL putting some pressure on the Feds? I get the feeling the League does not like being made to look a fool. Maybe the Commissioner made a call?

The NFL respects the criminal justice system and will let this play out as it should in the courts.

I've heard plenty of live pranks aired.

they are in on it, prescreened, or in the cade of Howard stern who probably makes the worst prank and crank calls they will call and record the person then later call back to ask for permission. Its not illegal in every state to disclose you are recording them prior to beginning the conversation. They call the person a few days later and tell them it was for radio and ask to use the call...

I'd like to add that in almost all instances, when a prank phone call is aired, one of the parties is aware they're being recorded. In some (most?) states, that is all that is necessary. In this case, the both parties in the conversation were unaware they were being recorded AND that their conversation was essentially being illegally tapped.

I loved how Nix got flamed here after falling for something he never should have expected. What those guys did was mad shady, immeasurably unethical and as we're about to find out, borderline illegal. I doubt they're found guilty of anything, though.

Ugh....these guys did this for profit....they sold the recording to deadspin.com for $200. I don't know if they go to jail, but, not out of the question. And, they will be found guilty of illegal wiretapping, just a question of what sentence they draw.

I loved how Nix got flamed here after falling for something he never should have expected. What those guys did was mad shady, immeasurably unethical and as we're about to find out, borderline illegal. I doubt they're found guilty of anything, though.

Nix was flamed because he came off as whining about how Fitz was holding the roster and cap hostage and Buddy just didn't know what to do.

Most likely the White Collar Crime division of the Feds are going after these guys. They are totally different people than those who prosecute and investigate terrorist or drug related crimes. What these kids did was most likely a violation of federal laws.

I think they only got involved because it crossed state lines. Otherwise, each state has its own laws about recording conversations. Remember Linda Tripp? She recorded all those conversations with Lewinski without consent. Not only didn't the Ferds charge her with a crime, they happily took all of her tapes and used them to prosecute Lewinski and Clinton. The State of Maryland indicted Tripp for illegal wiretapping. Ironically, since the Feds had given immunity to Tripp and everyone else in the Lewinski investigation, much of the tapes/evidence was ruled inadmissable by a state court (yet dispite being illegally obtained, the Feds had no concerns about admissability for their purposes).

See? Sometimes the Feds don't care if someone "illegally" tapes a conversation.

Murph just said on his show that these two guys are from Massachusetts. Hmmm, did Belichick put these guys up to this to find another means to embarrass the Bills?

I think for Belichcik, having them on his schedule twice a year every year satisfies his need to embarrass the Bills.

Agreed. But to me anyway, they really seem to go out of their way for the NFL.

For example, they have been going after Microsoft almost forever about being a monopoly and price fixing, but they wrote a law specifically allowing the NFL to have a monopoly. And I never remember reading anything about the government looking into why anything NFL costs so much, and at the same time someone put pressure on DHGate to stop advertising fake jerseys.

Seems they get special treatment for some reason.

Why on earth would the government "look into" what the NFL charges for merchandize?? And why wouldn't they go after companies producing illegal knockoffs?

PTR

I'd like to add that in almost all instances, when a prank phone call is aired, one of the parties is aware they're being recorded. In some (most?) states, that is all that is necessary. In this case, the both parties in the conversation were unaware they were being recorded AND that their conversation was essentially being illegally tapped.

Prior consent is not needed. But before it can air, a signed release must be obtained.

Also, this wasn't a "prank call" in any traditional sense. It was a recorded conversation that didn't involve the perpetrators. They will cop a plea and pay a fine.

Why on earth would the government "look into" what the NFL charges for merchandize?? And why wouldn't they go after companies producing illegal knockoffs?

1) The government gave the NFL special permission to operate as a monopoly. I would think protecting the fans from price gouging due to that decision is not too much to ask. Granted it's not like a NFL jersey is a basic necessity of life, but if the gov't allows the monopoly they have a responsibility to make sure it isn't abused in my opinion.

2) Good question and I wanted to make sure, so using DHGate as one small example I went to the site and searched for the jerseys of a couple well known NFL players and came up with no hits. I then searched for a couple well known baseball players jerseys and hockey players jerseys and found some. If all companies are equal in the eyes of the government, why don't they protect MLB and the NHL as much as the NFL?

PTR

I have heard FWIW that in NYS one or more of the recorded parties involved need to be made aware, making prank calls nothing more than harassment and this illegal recording.

Again that is hearsay

Ugh....these guys did this for profit....they sold the recording to deadspin.com for $200. I don't know if they go to jail, but, not out of the question. And, they will be found guilty of illegal wiretapping, just a question of what sentence they draw.

even if they dont go to jail, these guys will likely be dealing with this nonsense on job interviews and various background checks for the rest of their lives unless they end up with some sort of very minor mischief charge

Did the pranksters do us a favor? From Tim Graham/Buffalo News yesterday:

Fitzpatrick eventually declined to restructure his contract, and although he denied his decision was impacted by what Nix said in the recording, sources close to Fitzpatrick told me he was incensed.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/05/what-a-gag-buddy-nixs-pranksters-face-federal-charges.html?ref=bmh

If this is true, then the release of the recording poisoned the relationship enough to make it impossible to rework Fitz's contract and bring him back at a more appropriate salary. I liked Fitz, but we know he wasn't taking us anywhere special and am glad we are moving on. Better that it was a clean break and not dragged out.

kj

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/05/what-a-gag-buddy-nixs-pranksters-face-federal-charges.html?ref=bmh

If this is true, then the release of the recording poisoned the relationship enough to make it impossible to rework Fitz's contract and bring him back at a more appropriate salary. I liked Fitz, but we know he wasn't taking us anywhere special and am glad we are moving on. Better that it was a clean break and not dragged out.

kj

In that case let's get a pool together to pay their fine

kj

all jokes aside, i think some people are pulling the "this is silly, footballs just a game" card, when in reality it may have had effects on a billion dollar company negotiating with a 10 million a year employee. thats not small potatoes.

Out of curiosity did the party that bought and published the recording do anything illegal?

deadspins lawyers havent failed them yet, that i can think of.

the creation of the tape, not distribution is the real issue i believe.

1) The government gave the NFL special permission to operate as a monopoly. I would think protecting the fans from price gouging due to that decision is not too much to ask. Granted it's not like a NFL jersey is a basic necessity of life, but if the gov't allows the monopoly they have a responsibility to make sure it isn't abused in my opinion.

2) Good question and I wanted to make sure, so using DHGate as one small example I went to the site and searched for the jerseys of a couple well known NFL players and came up with no hits. I then searched for a couple well known baseball players jerseys and hockey players jerseys and found some. If all companies are equal in the eyes of the government, why don't they protect MLB and the NHL as much as the NFL?

Not exactly. There and have been several professional football leagues that compete directly or indirectly with the NFL. The NFL doesn't have a "monopoly" on professional sports. Also, the free market determines the price of NFL tickets (as is true for almost any product sold in this country), so there is no "price gouging" involved and therefore no need to invoke government oversight. What you're suggesting makes no sense.

The NFL is a copywrited entity, as are the NHL and MLB. If DHGate is ripping off the NHL and MLB, it's up to those organizations to file a complaint or charge. The government has no favorites in pro sports. Also remeber, teams are free to make deals on their own with any vendors regarding merchandise. This is not true in the NFL--there is only one official seller of merch.

I don't see how or why these guys get a break.

Wiretapping is espionage, and in this particular case, corporate espionage.

This is a riot. You need to look up a definition of corporate espionage.

http://blogs.buffalo...es.html?ref=bmh

kj

I think you are absolutely correct. Notice how Buddy is complaining that he doesn't know what to do with Fitz on the call. Very soon after, the Fitz problem is solved. This taped call was a boon to the Bills becasue Russ realized WTF was going on in the mind of his GM and then stepped in to release Fitz.

all jokes aside, i think some people are pulling the "this is silly, footballs just a game" card, when in reality it may have had effects on a billion dollar company negotiating with a 10 million a year employee. thats not small potatoes.

See above. It allowed the President of the team to step in and quickly solve the "problem" of the 10 million a year employee. No harm done.

Just my $.02 on the radio prank call deal. My buddy is a DJ in Austin and he said if you actually listen to the DJ when the other party answers they will always say "you're on the radio right now" which is what makes the recording legal.

Just my $.02 on the radio prank call deal. My buddy is a DJ in Austin and he said if you actually listen to the DJ when the other party answers they will always say "you're on the radio right now" which is what makes the recording legal.

Either that of they get permission afterwards.

Joshua Barber and Nicholas Kaiser who allegedly recorded a private conversation between Buddy Nix and Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik are now facing federal charges that could see them imprisoned for five years. All for a non-violent crime that hurt no one.

While they may have broken the law and deserve some kind of punishment, do they really deserve to go thru life with a felony conviction on their record? All for a harmless prank, where they had no criminal intent?

Where is the excuse making in the media for these guys? As there is in the media every time a professional athlete gets into trouble. We always here how they are just young guys who need to mature and grow up. Shouldn’t the same standard apply to Barber and Kaiser? After all, they’re only 20 years old.

As an example, a couple weeks ago, John Murphy, after interviewing Da’Rick Rogers on his nightly show, made it clear how much he believed in giving people a second chance. But last night he wasn’t talking about second chances when reporting on Barber and Kaiser’s indictment. I got the impression he wanted them severely punished for what they did.

If they are not going to be punished legally then they should be punished in some other way like needing to spend time cleaning up garbage every weekend for a year with Miami Jerseys with names "Idiot" #1 and "Idiot" #2. This will ensure some "dumb young guys" do not try same stunt again for 15 minutes of fame.

Joshua Barber and Nicholas Kaiser who allegedly recorded a private conversation between Buddy Nix and Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik are now facing federal charges that could see them imprisoned for five years. All for a non-violent crime that hurt no one.

While they may have broken the law and deserve some kind of punishment, do they really deserve to go thru life with a felony conviction on their record? All for a harmless prank, where they had no criminal intent?

Where is the excuse making in the media for these guys? As there is in the media every time a professional athlete gets into trouble. We always here how they are just young guys who need to mature and grow up. Shouldn’t the same standard apply to Barber and Kaiser? After all, they’re only 20 years old.

As an example, a couple weeks ago, John Murphy, after interviewing Da’Rick Rogers on his nightly show, made it clear how much he believed in giving people a second chance. But last night he wasn’t talking about second chances when reporting on Barber and Kaiser’s indictment. I got the impression he wanted them severely punished for what they did.

Punishment and second chances aren't mutually exclusive. They can pay for their mistakes and still be members of society afterwards. Just like da'rick was kicked off his team and then went undrafted as a consequence but now has a chance to make good. Or should these guys just get a free pass cause they are 20?

It wasn't harmless though, if it's true that the recording influenced Fitzpatrick to reject a restructured contract. That seems likely because he left Buffalo where he'd compete to start, for Tennessee where he is the backup. Seems like we have $7M dead money on our cap next year because of this. I know he wasn't taking us anywhere but he's not much better or much worse than Kevin Kolb, except we had to burn cap to switch to Kolb.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

It wasn't harmless though, if it's true that the recording influenced Fitzpatrick to reject a restructured contract. That seems likely because he left Buffalo where he'd compete to start, for Tennessee where he is the backup. Seems like we have $7M dead money on our cap next year because of this. I know he wasn't taking us anywhere but he's not much better or much worse than Kevin Kolb, except we had to burn cap to switch to Kolb.

So arguably, there are damages related to the phone call.

If something like that even applies here would be very hard to prove. Bud man on the call stated that something had to change or Fitz was gone. Nothing changed fits is gone. Nothing new here.

If something like that even applies here would be very hard to prove. Bud man on the call stated that something had to change or Fitz was gone. Nothing changed fits is gone. Nothing new here.

Notice I italicized the word arguably.

There is no way Marrone was going to keep Fitz anyway. That phone call spurred Russ to tell Buddy to cut Fitz loose. The dead cap money is on Buddy.

The call was serendipity.