Buffalo could very well field both the DROY and OROY this year

I am sure there will be a ton of pessimistic replies here, but I don't care. I honestly think that Buffalo has a strong chance to field both the DROY and OROY this season. I wonder how many times, if ever, that has happened. Here are my thoughts on why I think this is not just a pipe dream, but possible.

1. Opportunity - We are likely going to high draft picks starting day 1 on both sides of the ball. Woods is almost a lock to start opposite Stevie, not to mention potentially EJ. On Defense, Kiko is about as close to a lock to start as Woods is on offense come week 1. That's a min of 2 second round picks, and possibly our first round pick all starting week 1 at important, impactful, and high profile positions. I also would not be surprised to see Duke play himself into a starting role early in the season if not week 1.

2. OROY - This offense is gearing up to be a fast paced and aggressive design that is rooted in the thoughts of getting more offensive possessions. If the offense can have decent success at this or better, that is going to create a lot of opportunities for Woods, EJ and even Goodwin. Woods to me is probably the most NFL ready WR in this years draft and I think he is going to be very involved in this offense out the gate. Tavon is probably the biggest threat for OROY going into the season, however, I just don't see that team being very good playing in the toughest division, specifically the toughest defensive division in all of football. All the talk about EJ so far is about how fast he is learning the offense, his leadership, confidence, etc. All of that leans more and more potential to him winning the job outright for week 1. If he does, he will likely be the most successful QB in this draft, and the media loves QB's. I dont see Geno (even if he starts week 1) having a very good season on that lame offense in NY. The other dark horse QB I think is Tyler Wilson in Oakland, but other than that, I just don't see any QB's getting much playing time this year other than Geno and EJ.

DROY - Now this one I think has a lot more players who could easily find themselves in contention for DROY. My thoughts here are not based on that though, they are solely rooted in my belief in Kiko. I really like this kid for our defense, Pettine's system, and for an impact player. I loved this kid at Oregon, and often over shadowed Dion Jordan and many feel he was the best player on that D last year. If it were not for the early college issues, he would have been a surefire first round pick IMO as well as many scouts and draft pundits. This kid is going to start week 1, just cant see any way other than injury that would prevent that. He is a playmaker all over the field and in this aggressive style D, with the additions of Manny and Branch, our big front line, a better utilized Mario I think he will be setup out there to excel big time. I think Duke could also earn a lot of playing time, but still I just think Kiko is the guy that I see as a strong candidate for DROY.

So, I am sure all the pessimists are gonna freak out about how ridiculous this sounds citing a dozen pessimistic and negative reasons, which is fine. But my thoughts on this are not about being a homer or annual optimism, its based on football, opportunity, and personal thoughts on the individual players and how they will fit in this season and be used.

Go Bills!

PS: Dont sleep on Goodwin either, I just don't think he will get as many looks as Woods, but this kid is more explosive than Tavon.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Manuel starts week 1, he's the frontrunner for OROY. Woods also has a good chance. This is a very weak year for OROY candidates, no other QBs starting most of the season probably. Not many RBs or WRs appear to be in great situations either.

Alonso has a good shot as well, since DROY is highly slanted towards LBs who gets lots of tackles, and bad teams get the most tackles against the run. Like Kuechly last year, who was pretty bad most of the year, but led the league in tackles. However, there's Te'o, and if he gets 100 tackles, the media is riding that train.

i'll buy into your premise not only because i am a huge optimist and full-time kool-aid drinker, but also because if the bills improve to a modest team these players have a great chance to be recognized and even hyped by the national media. all of the new organizational structure, coaching staff, and a lot of young players led by a rookie qb could have a lot of people taking notice if this team were to leap up to the middle of the pack.

*Message from Pseudo Moderator: In an effort to maintain efficient use of this Board, please consider using the "search" function before starting a new thread; if you had done so, you could have included this thread in the "What was your favorite Disney movie ever?" thread*

Alpha - keep up the optimism brother. I'm with ya.

this draft was heavy in O-Line and limited in the "playmaker" positions of QB, RB and WR. Of the WR and QBs that have a chance to make the most impact in the league EJ and Woods are up there on that list, but that doesnt mean they are leading candidates for OROY. look for any of the top O-lineman to win it. if one of them comes in and does as well as expected at LT than they can easily win it.

Overwhelming presumptuousness might be a big understatement. There's at least 3 teams I can think of that will be starting their first and second round draft picks pretty much right out of the gates. The obvious is Geno Smith and Dee Milliner. With Garrard retiring, the writing is on the wall there. Milliner has to start right away with the loss of Revis island. Talk to me then about LeVeon Bell and Jarvis Jones. Jones starts right out of the gates, but do you think Bell is going to have a tough time beating out Jonathan Dwyer? I don't. Then you have Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree for the Rams. I'm sure if I did even a little bit of looking at rosters that you could say the same thing about other teams as well. Opportunity is there to do the SAME THING, regardless of how much hype we want to put on our own team in May.

Overwhelming presumptuousness might be a big understatement. There's at least 3 teams I can think of that will be starting their first and second round draft picks pretty much right out of the gates. The obvious is Geno Smith and Dee Milliner. With Garrard retiring, the writing is on the wall there. Milliner has to start right away with the loss of Revis island. Talk to me then about LeVeon Bell and Jarvis Jones. Jones starts right out of the gates, but do you think Bell is going to have a tough time beating out Jonathan Dwyer? I don't. Then you have Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree for the Rams. I'm sure if I did even a little bit of looking at rosters that you could say the same thing about other teams as well. Opportunity is there to do the SAME THING, regardless of how much hype we want to put on our own team in May.

The Jets have to at least give Sanchez his last shot to start, thanks to his stupid contract. I'm writing Geno off for ROY.

Jarvis Jones will probably beat out Worilds, but he'll play the side James Harrison did, which isn't optimal to rack up stats since you don't rush all the time. Harrison did a couple years, but he was awesome.

Le'veon Bell and Eddie Lacy are the main threats... probable starting RBs.

I'm just saying, Manuel Alonso and Woods are in the position with good years to win meaningless awards.

The Jets have to at least give Sanchez his last shot to start, thanks to his stupid contract. I'm writing Geno off for ROY.

Are you kidding? The only way Sanchez starts week 1 if is Smith is hurt or is a gigantic training camp bust. It is Smith's job to lose, and he'll need to be pretty bad to do that.

Jarvis Jones will probably beat out Worilds, but he'll play the side James Harrison did, which isn't optimal to rack up stats since you don't rush all the time. Harrison did a couple years, but he was awesome.

Le'veon Bell and Eddie Lacy are the main threats... probable starting RBs.

I'm just saying, Manuel Alonso and Woods are in the position with good years to win meaningless awards.

Have you been paying attention to what's going on in NY? The fact that Sanchez salary is guaranteed for 2013 means nothing. They don't "have" to start him just because he's getting paid. The Jets plan was to start Garrard and let Smith learn from him before eventually ceding the position. Now Garrard retired, while offering to continue to be Smith's mentor. Rumor around the league is that Sanchez has actually regressed as a passer. Regardless, I hear your other points. The main focus of my comments is that there are going to be plenty of teams with new offensive and defensive starters and that the Bills haven't "cornered the market" on opportunity for this to happen. They're not in any special position to do so.

Really? It would take only a "pessimist" to point out the overwhelming presumptuousness of your claim that we may have not one, but 2 ROYs....in May?

It didn't take you long to be The Grinch, did it? You never dissapoint.

I am sure there will be a ton of pessimistic replies here, but I don't care. I honestly think that Buffalo has a strong chance to field both the DROY and OROY this season. I wonder how many times, if ever, that has happened. Here are my thoughts on why I think this is not just a pipe dream, but possible.

C.J. Spiller has an excellent chance to be MVP (or at least with the most total yards as a RB) because we may finally have a coach who understands you don't allow a 5+ YPR running back to be used as a passing gimmick.

This is about the realm of responses I expected...I would even wager that many of them didn't read past the title lol.

Funny, I did not say proclaim we would have both the DROY and OROY...I just said we have guys who could contend for them, and that its possible, given the opportunities they will have to contribute and my belief in their potential to excel in the systems we will be running. I think its possible, the typical negative nancies think its a joke...so be it and it was expected.

OROY - I actually think we are in the best position to field the OROY as I think Woods is gonna be an immediate starter and heavily involved in the offense, and I also think EJ wins the job week 1 and will face little competition from other rookie QB's as only Geno probably has a good chance to start, and if he does, I don't expect a lot from that offense.

DROY - I acknowledged in my OP that there is stiff competition for this (furthering my belief that many did not even read the post and just replied sarcastically based on the title) as it was a deep defensive draft. However, I am just that high on Kiko that I think he will make an immediate impact and will be a very good player for us. Just based on my opinion of him as a prospect and player as I watched him play a lot...doesn't hurt that I know a thing or two about LB's either.

So, hate away, fine with me. This wasn't a homer thread, but it will be portrayed as some kool-aid homer thread, which is fine, to each their own.

C.J. Spiller has an excellent chance to be MVP (or at least with the most total yards as a RB) because we may finally have a coach who understands you don't allow a 5+ YPR running back to be used as a passing gimmick.

I agree with you here on this too. I think Spiller could put up 1800+ yards rushing in this offense as the primary back getting the bulk of the carries easily now that he will be used properly. Its going to come down to how much FJ can still give this team. If FJ can still be a consistent factor (and I think he can), then I think FJ will still get a fair amount of carries and Spiller still will be looking at 1500+ yards.

This is about the realm of responses I expected...I would even wager that many of them didn't read past the title lol.

Funny, I did not say proclaim we would have both the DROY and OROY...I just said we have guys who could contend for them, and that its possible, given the opportunities they will have to contribute and my belief in their potential to excel in the systems we will be running. I think its possible, the typical negative nancies think its a joke...so be it and it was expected.

I agree with you here on this too. I think Spiller could put up 1800+ yards rushing in this offense as the primary back getting the bulk of the carries easily now that he will be used properly. Its going to come down to how much FJ can still give this team. If FJ can still be a consistent factor (and I think he can), then I think FJ will still get a fair amount of carries and Spiller still will be looking at 1500+ yards.

We blew the box up in the draft and free agency, and so your optimism is warranted. However, the concerns over our guard, cornerback and quarterback situation give me pause. The Colts pulled it off, so it is not a pie in the sky idea to think this, although DROY will be a LOT harder than OROY.

Maybe. It looks like a good year for a 3-down linebacker and a WR to win the awards. The offensive award has been won most often by RBs and, of late, QBs and the defensive award by DEs and LBs. This draft did not produce all that many of the traditional candidates.

He had 1,700+ total yards last year with 8 TD's to boot. Averaged 6.0 YPC and 10.7 YPR. If the team doesn't find a way to get him more, they're idiots. Fred Jackson should be the more limited of the two, considering his significant injury risk. 75-25 is what I would think it should look like. Personally, I would like to see if Spiller can handle 250 carries and 75 receptions. Yet to be seen.

this draft was heavy in O-Line and limited in the "playmaker" positions of QB, RB and WR. Of the WR and QBs that have a chance to make the most impact in the league EJ and Woods are up there on that list, but that doesnt mean they are leading candidates for OROY. look for any of the top O-lineman to win it. if one of them comes in and does as well as expected at LT than they can easily win it.

If an O-lineman wins OROY, I'll eat my beard.

That's nice and all, but since the award has been given out (1967 to present), it's only been given to QB, RB or WR. Never has a lineman won it. So to say that a LT can "easily win it" really ignores 46 years of actual history.

If an O-lineman wins OROY, I'll eat my beard.

This ^

That's nice and all, but since the award has been given out (1967 to present), it's only been given to QB, RB or WR. Never has a lineman won it. So to say that a LT can "easily win it" really ignores 46 years of actual history.

And This ^

1. Opportunity - We are likely going to high draft picks starting day 1 on both sides of the ball. Woods is almost a lock to start opposite Stevie, not to mention potentially EJ. On Defense, Kiko is about as close to a lock to start as Woods is on offense come week 1. That's a min of 2 second round picks, and possibly our first round pick all starting week 1 at important, impactful, and high profile positions. I also would not be surprised to see Duke play himself into a starting role early in the season if not week 1.

2. OROY - This offense is gearing up to be a fast paced and aggressive design that is rooted in the thoughts of getting more offensive possessions. If the offense can have decent success at this or better, that is going to create a lot of opportunities for Woods, EJ and even Goodwin. Woods to me is probably the most NFL ready WR in this years draft and I think he is going to be very involved in this offense out the gate. Tavon is probably the biggest threat for OROY going into the season, however, I just don't see that team being very good playing in the toughest division, specifically the toughest defensive division in all of football. All the talk about EJ so far is about how fast he is learning the offense, his leadership, confidence, etc. All of that leans more and more potential to him winning the job outright for week 1. If he does, he will likely be the most successful QB in this draft, and the media loves QB's. I dont see Geno (even if he starts week 1) having a very good season on that lame offense in NY. The other dark horse QB I think is Tyler Wilson in Oakland, but other than that, I just don't see any QB's getting much playing time this year other than Geno and EJ.

DROY - Now this one I think has a lot more players who could easily find themselves in contention for DROY. My thoughts here are not based on that though, they are solely rooted in my belief in Kiko. I really like this kid for our defense, Pettine's system, and for an impact player. I loved this kid at Oregon, and often over shadowed Dion Jordan and many feel he was the best player on that D last year. If it were not for the early college issues, he would have been a surefire first round pick IMO as well as many scouts and draft pundits. This kid is going to start week 1, just cant see any way other than injury that would prevent that. He is a playmaker all over the field and in this aggressive style D, with the additions of Manny and Branch, our big front line, a better utilized Mario I think he will be setup out there to excel big time. I think Duke could also earn a lot of playing time, but still I just think Kiko is the guy that I see as a strong candidate for DROY.

So, I am sure all the pessimists are gonna freak out about how ridiculous this sounds citing a dozen pessimistic and negative reasons, which is fine. But my thoughts on this are not about being a homer or annual optimism, its based on football, opportunity, and personal thoughts on the individual players and how they will fit in this season and be used.

Go Bills!

PS: Dont sleep on Goodwin either, I just don't think he will get as many looks as Woods, but this kid is more explosive than Tavon.

Spoken like someone who just paid Ralph a couple thousand for season tickets and is trying to justify it. But hey, 'fan' is short for fanatic, so all good I guess.

Yeah but which one gets named Superbowl MVP?

This truly is the best time of the year for Bills fans

Indeed!

Already have my victory cigar for the New England game!

True, but history also tells another story. Given how this draft went down a little different than history says it should have (first time since 1963 no RB in the first round and only 1 "reach/project" QB according to some experts) implies that this year was a little devoid of talent in the sexy positions that usually win OROY. Also since it was possibly the best draft for O-lineman ever (3 of the top 4 and 6 of the top 11 picks) it may not be out of reach this year for an O-lineman to get it. If it was going to be any year, itd be this one.

Note: I say reach/project because thats what the "experts" say. I am fully on board with EJ but dont expect him to light it up in year one. But I have high hopes for him in the future.

Have you been paying attention to what's going on in NY?

Yes. Jets fans also laughed at me when I said Sanchez was starting months ago. Now they're prepared to boo. And I don't care what Mortensen says. The media actually thought they'd cut Sanchez too, lol.

The fact that Sanchez salary is guaranteed for 2013 means nothing. They don't "have" to start him just because he's getting paid.

They don't have to, but they will.