Buffalo could very well field both the DROY and OROY this year

#50 was all over the field even had a QB presser.

He has to be on DROY watch list.

Let's just say the starting Bills QB has the inside slant on OROY. Le'veon BEll Will be competeitio for OROY.

What are the Vegas odds on TUel?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread I started doesn't look so crazy two games in...EJ is the real deal, and when you consider how much time he missed prior to week 1 as a rookie, his start to the season is even more impressive. I fell he will only continue to get better. And Kiko has been as good, if not better, than advertised on this revamped defense!

GO BILLS!

I didn't think this prediction was nuts when it was first posted, and, I don't think it's nuts now.

But, let's understand that the chances of this media awarding both to the Bills being slim? That has a lot more to do with their bias than it does the play on the field, or stats.

I just don't see how they will bring themselves to vote that way. We would have to win a playoff game, decisively, with both Alonso and Woods/EJ contributing, and even then I don't think they would do it.

Yeah, notice I said Woods/EJ. I think that either has an = chance.

In fact, if both are hands down better than the rest of the OROY candidates? They will give it to Woods out of spite. They will never forgive us for the EJ disinformation campaign that Buddy and Whaley ran.

Reid on 9ers is looking good for DROY. But looking at the Fox and ESPN coverage not to mention the Pepsi Rookie of week site Alonso is definitely on the list.

Star from Carolina is probably also up there.

I got to say EJ probably remains the favorite for OROY. Unless Austin, Hopkins, or one of the rookie RBs blows up its gonna come down to who has more wins between EJ and Geno.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Reid on 9ers is looking good for DROY. But looking at the Fox and ESPN coverage not to mention the Pepsi Rookie of week site Alonso is definitely on the list.

Star from Carolina is probably also up there.

I got to say EJ probably remains the favorite for OROY. Unless Austin, Hopkins, or one of the rookie RBs blows up its gonna come down to who has more wins between EJ and Geno.

I'm not sure what games you're watching, but it's not even close right now. Geno Smith has completed 53.4% of his passes with 1 TD to 4 INT's. His QBR is a paltry 55.2 and he's taken 9 sacks already. By comparison, EJ has completed 68.2% of his passes with 3 TD's and 1 INT. His QBR is a stellar 95.9 and he's only been sacked 1 time. Geno isn't even in the conversation at this point.

I'm not sure what games you're watching, but it's not even close right now. Geno Smith has completed 53.4% of his passes with 1 TD to 4 INT's. His QBR is a paltry 55.2 and he's taken 9 sacks already. By comparison, EJ has completed 68.2% of his passes with 3 TD's and 1 INT. His QBR is a stellar 95.9 and he's only been sacked 1 time. Geno isn't even in the conversation at this point.

I'm not sure what thread you're reading.

Geno is most assuridly in any pupularity contest, which is what OROY is, purely because he is the starting QB of an NFL team as a rookie but more importantly an NFL team in New York.

Its still early.

I'm not sure what thread you're reading.

Geno is most assuridly in any pupularity contest, which is what OROY is, purely because he is the starting QB of an NFL team as a rookie but more importantly an NFL team in New York.

Its still early.

I'd be surprised if Geno is still the NYJ starting QB at the end of the season.

I agree but they're both 1-1 and each had a GW drive. That's the 30,000 foot view from places outside of WNY.

I'd be surprised if Geno is still the NYJ starting QB at the end of the season.

Hopefully it turns into a circus. Bills beat them this weekend, Geno looks horrible because Pettine is able to confuse him.

Rex gets antsy puts in his 3rd stringer because Rex has no patients. Eventually Sanchez comes back and plays and looks like Sanchez, so Rex goes back to Geno....

Hopefully it turns into a circus. Bills beat them this weekend, Geno looks horrible because Pettine is able to confuse him.

Rex gets antsy puts in his 3rd stringer because Rex has no patients. Eventually Sanchez comes back and plays and looks like Sanchez, so Rex goes back to Geno....

As a football coach Rex is not qualified to see patients; so it should not surprise us that he has none.

This thread might be worthy of weekly updates as the season progresses. Based on early season events, the chances of this happening have gone up.

Some of the rookie contenders have gotten off to slow starts due to injury or poor play while the 3 contending Bills are still amongst the most likely. I'd say the probability of winning one has gone up to 27% and of winning both has doubled from 1/100 to 1/50.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Still find it hilarious how much hate was spewed when I started this thread in the off season. Rather than people focus on the positive potential, they preferred to be right about how negative they are. Having a different opinion, fine, but people literally flipped out in this thread over this idea.

IMO If season ended today, Kiko would be DROY...EJ and DeAndre Hopkons would be a coin flip for OROY, and edge probably would go to EJ just because he plays QB.

So far so good, our young rookies have really done some really good things so far. Both have a lot more work to do, but I think its safe to say they are off to a pretty good start (especially considering the time missed by EJ) and that the idea of having a DROY and OROY is not so far fetched like the negative nancies want to believe.

I loved Kiko on draft night and knew he would be an impact player for this team and hyped him all off season and draft night. EJ is another guy I believed in from early on...so far, I am very happy with what I have seen from them and believe they will continue to get stronger as the season goes on. There will be growing pains I am sure, but we are headed in a great direction, including Woods!

"1. Kiko Alonso may be the leading candidate for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors at the quarter pole of the season. The second-round pick from Oregon is the first game-changing linebacker the Bills have had since Takeo Spikes was healthy a decade ago. Alonso is superb at rushing the passer and covering receivers. He says he can't remember having interceptions in three consecutive games at any level of football, including Pop Warner. "

http://www.sportsxchange.com/tsxfiles/?page_id=211&max_colums=20&story_id=62121

"1. Kiko Alonso may be the leading candidate for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors at the quarter pole of the season. The second-round pick from Oregon is the first game-changing linebacker the Bills have had since Takeo Spikes was healthy a decade ago. Alonso is superb at rushing the passer and covering receivers. He says he can't remember having interceptions in three consecutive games at any level of football, including Pop Warner. "

http://www.sportsxch...&story_id=62121

:thumbsup:

http://www.sportsxch...&story_id=62121

Others are starting to recognize him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23916217/nfl-grades-week-4-chiefs-earn-a-for-nfc-east-sweep

Another huge home win for the surprising Bills.
and
were an effective tandem and the defense --
particularly rookie linebacker Kiko Alonzo, who looks like a star in the making
-- wrecked the Ravens' afternoon.

On the offensive side, Woods could still get into the conversation. He's on pace for 44/800/8 which probably wouldn't get it done, but if he continues to pick it up it's entirely possible.

I don't know. There aren't any rookie RBs lighting it up and the only WR I can think of that's obviously outpacing Woods right now is DeAndre Hopkins in Houston.

I don't know. There aren't any rookie RBs lighting it up and the only WR I can think of that's obviously outpacing Woods right now is DeAndre Hopkins in Houston.

After four games:

Hopkins - 20 Receptions, 270 Yards, 1 TD

Woods - 11 Receptions, 201 Yards, 2 TD

Patterons - 6, 82, 0

Austin - 20, 124, 2.

The Yards Per Catch for Woods is the best among all of them.

Both are going head to head..

Still find it hilarious how much hate was spewed when I started this thread in the off season. Rather than people focus on the positive potential, they preferred to be right about how negative they are. Having a different opinion, fine, but people literally flipped out in this thread over this idea.

IMO If season ended today, Kiko would be DROY...EJ and DeAndre Hopkons would be a coin flip for OROY, and edge probably would go to EJ just because he plays QB.

So far so good, our young rookies have really done some really good things so far. Both have a lot more work to do, but I think its safe to say they are off to a pretty good start (especially considering the time missed by EJ) and that the idea of having a DROY and OROY is not so far fetched like the negative nancies want to believe.

I loved Kiko on draft night and knew he would be an impact player for this team and hyped him all off season and draft night. EJ is another guy I believed in from early on...so far, I am very happy with what I have seen from them and believe they will continue to get stronger as the season goes on. There will be growing pains I am sure, but we are headed in a great direction, including Woods!

Probability of winning 1 is up to 40% and of winning both at 5% is my guess. Still early in the season and the injury scenarios keep the numbers from going higher. So, I guess I am saying that it's worth more mainstream consideration and, if the probablities keep climbing, puts AD7 in the running for TBD post of the year.

If the Bills were to be a playoff calibre team, the pro football writers will be inclined to want to explain it somehow. Two RsOY would help it make sense.

• 1 month later...

SO halfway through the season Kiko IS the DROY and Geno is the OROY.

Good luck to Kiko on the second half of the season.

Sheldon Richardson of the Jets has arguably been better, but a D-lineman who doesn't get sacks isn't going to get this kind of award. Just like an O-lineman will probably never win any offensive awards. I think Kiko is the very clear frontrunner at this point, and on a personal level, he's been a VERY pleasant surprise to me.

On the offensive side, I agree it's probably Geno at the front of the pack right now, but I don't think it's a massive lead. He's incredibly up and down, and pretty much singlehandedly cost them a couple games on the down side. If Eddie Lacy keeps up his charge, I think there's a good chance he overtakes Geno. Heck, if EJ comes back and looks good in leading us to a 6-1 record the rest of the way, I think he'll have a very realistic chance of winning it. Even though his overall stats maybe wouldn't match Geno's or Lacy's, QBs are so over-judged on their team's record that EJ would be in play with a strong 2nd half.

Would be interesting if it finished up that way. It's been a while since both the OROY and DROY were not first round picks (2001, I think - Anthony Thomas and Kendrell Bell). Go Kiko.

Sheldon Richardson of the Jets has arguably been better, but a D-lineman who doesn't get sacks isn't going to get this kind of award. Just like an O-lineman will probably never win any offensive awards.

Well of course Richardson plays in a huge media market but I believe that there's been more buzz about Star Lotulelei of the Panthers. This guy is immovable, disruptive, and seemingly gets several tackles for loss in every game.

I agree with Eddie Lacy but we're only at the halfway mark so anything could happen.

Chargers wideout Keenan Allen is having a huge season and Dallas wideout Terrance Williams is coming on strong too.

Redskins tight end Jordan Reed is also in the running.

Well of course Richardson plays in a huge media market but I believe that there's been more buzz about Star Lotulelei of the Panthers. This guy is immovable, disruptive, and seemingly gets several tackles for loss in every game.

I agree with Eddie Lacy but we're only at the halfway mark so anything could happen.

Chargers wideout Keenan Allen is having a huge season and Dallas wideout Terrance Williams is coming on strong too.

Redskins tight end Jordan Reed is also in the running.

DROY at mid point: Kiko Alonso. Sheldon and Star are right there with him though, however I think Kiko would still win if the vote was taken today. He has made some highlight plays and is actually getting a lot of press and coverage.

OROY at mid point: Eddie Lacy. I believe if they voted today, that Lacy would actually win it, especially after how beastly he just looked on Monday Night football. With Rodgers out, he will be a huge focal point and I think only strengthen his case. Keenan Allen and Geno Smith are next up. If EJ can come back and lead this team to a really strong finish like 6-1 and be a major part of those wins, I think he can still get into the conversation. However, I think Lacy is going to be hard to over come unless he gets hurt again or production drops (which I don't expect it to do). Would have been interesting to see EJ play this whole season as I firmly believe we have a winning record right now and he would have been in the convo for sure.

Do remember that rookies do not get the benefit of a full off season program due to college commitments and hence their body gives up in the 4th quarter of the season and there by not being able to sustain their initial success.

This happens to some rookies.

No! You must remember! Or all is lost.

Remember!

At this point it is Lacy and Richardson as front runners. Not that Kiko hasn't played well enough to win the award. If the Jets make the playoffs then I suspect Geno wins no matter what Lacy does.

Unless you're a red hot smokin blond with dragon babies, you're probably smokin' something.

Yes I'm aware of the excellent season the two interior lineman are having. Kiko is a league leader in tackles and INTs. If there was a vote today it wouldn't even be close. Kiko would win. Not taking away from the two big men but their stat line won't be too compelling to voters.

Which is the same logic you correctly use for Geno. He is credited with 4, 4th QTR come from behind wins in his career. Manning and Elway had a combined 1 at this point. Half way through the season as much as I hate the Jets, Geno is a QB and would win OROY without a question. Lacy has come on as of late, but he is no where near the OROY over a winning rookie QB at this point.

Now what happens in the second half of the season is anyone's guess.

Good luck to Kiko again.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Kiko is a pretty darn serious contender for DROY, for sure. I'm not sure Manuel will get enough playing time to get into the mix, regardless of how well he plays, unless perhaps he pulls a playoff season out of what is left of the year. I'm happy with the new guys on this team who are making a name for themselves...including Manuel, Alonso, Woods, Robey, and others. We are in a good transition instead of treading water which has been our agenda for the last decade.