Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

If what you are saying is true, between EJ and the Jets/Tavon Austin move --- the Bills just dominated this draft.

Look at any Eagle message board, or Jesus, any EJM video on youtube. :lol: They are telling us to F off, loudly and consistently. :lol: They aren't kidding. They are mad, bro. So many Bills fans, waking up this morning, without the slightest notion of the vitriol being spewed at them by Eagle fans.

They know their team, and have been hanging on every word of their new GM, the same way we have been.

They "knew" EJM was their guy in the 2nd round. EJM was their little secret, and we blew it up.

Rather than taking somebody else at 8, and then having to trade back up into the first to get ahead of them, we traded down in the first, stayed ahead of them, and we get an extra 2nd for our trouble. The third swap, for me, is an almost irrelevant nod to the draft value chart, as is the 7th rounder.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple fact that we traded down and got the guy we actually wanted (read on buffalorumblings a few hours before the draft that Marroune loved EJ). Was just talking with my dad, if we spent the next 2 picks on:

Williams, Terrance WR 6'2" 208

Baylor

Kelce, Travis TE 6'5" 255 Cincinnati

I would literally be uncontrollably ecstatic. I know a lot of ppl want use to pick up D positions, but i'm willing to roll the dice on FA's this year while we install w/e new D scheme we have and see how the players actually react to it. I feel like we really don't know what we have when we're going to be running a hybrid. That and i'd love to have weapons that actually pan out.

that would be sweet! :worthy:

Eagles message boards??

Blogs, articles, tweets...whatever.

There's no doubt that EJM was their guy in the second. It's all out there if you use your search engine properly.

Or, are you saying that only the Bills have websites where Bills information is handily compiled for the use of Bills fans?

A rumor is one thing. A guy telling all Bills fans to F off, because we took the Eagles QB, is another thing.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The Bills added another Kelly Holcomb in the form of Kolb. They completed the other half of the task today by adding the next Losman. Both Losman and Manuel have good physical tools. Neither had good pocket presence. Neither had done much, in college, to show they had the ability to quickly process complex information--an ability absolutely required to be successful at the NFL level. Manuel is more accurate than Losman at short to intermediate passes; whereas Losman was probably the more accurate of the two in the deep passing game. Manuel is the more confident of the two, and a better leader.

It will probably take the Bills about four years to figure out he's not the answer. Four years of passing up other QB prospects. The first year or two may see a Kolb/Manuel competition, much like the Holcomb/Losman competition. To confuse the situation further, the Bills have Travaris Jackson waiting in the wings. Eventually, I expect Manuel to emerge victorious from that competition; and to have 1 - 2 good years. (Much like Losman's good year.)

When I went to Yahoo!, one of the headlines was about how the Bills had shocked the NFL by taking a QB that most hadn't projected to go in the first round. This isn't exactly the first time the Bills have delivered this kind of shock. The Whitner pick was similarly shocking.

I felt that the Bills had a chance to finally find a successor to Jim Kelly. They realized they needed one. My choice would have been Barkley. But if Barkley's arm was an issue, or if there were other problems with him, Nassib would have been a nice consolation prize. Or they could have waited until the 2014 draft. I really thought the Bills were going to get their QB situation fixed; which makes this pick more disappointing than the Whitner pick had been. More disappointing than the Music City Miracle. The last time I remember feeling this much sports-related disappointment was either No Goal or Wide Right.

Maybe I'm wrong--both about Barkley and Manuel--and San Jose Bills Fan is right. For the Bills' sake, I hope that's the case. But right now, my instincts tell me Manuel is going to be another Losman or Sanchez. :cry:

I should be sleeping right now. But I can't, because of the feeling that the Bills once again let a golden opportunity slip through their grasp. I hope, rather than believe, that this is merely a case of me indulging in unfounded paranoia.

Two thumbs down. You have no idea that he's JP Losman..

Maybe the Eagles, maybe not. Neither team picked a QB after the Bills. I'm not convinced either team was going to take a prospect developmental player like Manuel. I saw more value in a stud TE who will play right away. The QBs were all similar in value. All below Eifert

We will know today if the Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Cardinals and Jets pick a QB at the top of the Rd 2 or pass on all of them (Smith, Barkley, Naasib, Wilson)

ESPN Sports Science:

Manuel was the most accurate short passer under 15 yards, completing 90% of his passes,fastest release of any QB in this class at .333 seconds, broke an all time record by hitting 9 straight 20 yard passes with 2 defenders rushing him(Kaepernick hit 8 in a row), rated overall at an 89.4 on the 20 tests, placing him directly between Ben Roethlesberger(92.3) and Andy Dalton(88.1). If this is where his ability truly lies, I think Bills fans will be very happy with this pick...

Also was pointed out that for all the concerns about his accuracy, Manuel's completion percentage last year on passes that traveled more than 10 yards was only 2 percentage points lower than Andrew Luck's...

http://espn.go.com/v...id=espn:9129589

The accuracy rap is complete nonsense.

1) Although completion percentage doesn't necessarily prove accuracy, EJ's career completion percentage is very high, 66.9% in spite of the fact that his career yards per attempt is quite high at 8.6 ypa. To complete a high percentage of passes while throwing the ball farther downfield than most QBs would seem to refute any questions about his accuracy.

2) In addition, the Sports Science segment on EJ mentioned that on passes thrown 10 yards or more downfield, his completion percentage was within 2% of Andrew Luck's.

3) In the Sports Science segment, EJ scored higher on the accuracy tests than any other tested QB and his combined metrics were in the neighborhood of Big Ben and Kaepernick's

4) In the Quicken Loan Skills competition, Manuel blew away the competition (Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, and Jordan Rodgers in the accuracy part of the competition. He also won that competition overall.

5) I've watched about 8 games of videos (all plays where he threw or ran the ball, certainly over 200 passes) and the guy throws a beautiful and accurate ball.

Whatever shortcomings EJ may have, accuracy is not one of them.

Seriously, that was just damn impressive. The man had accuracy and release like I couldn't believe. He had such perfect touch on 20 yard, back foot passes over defenders that he beat out Kaepernick at the drill.

If what you are saying is true, between EJ and the Jets/Tavon Austin move --- the Bills just dominated this draft.

I don't know about dominated...but seriously, we got VERY good value out of the trade to St. Louis at the same time we prevented the Jets from getting a prized acquisition and then waited out for the guy who Buddy clearly wanted to take at #8, but would have gotten no end of grief from fans for taking so early.

I was also found this interesting from the Nix/Marrone Q&A:

Q: A lot of college quarterbacks are kind of half-field read guys. Do you kind of accept that he is going to develop that part of his game?

BN: Sure. I think all of them do. Now we spent a lot of time with all of these guys. (We) brought them in here, talked protection, talked routes and talked reads. I talked to his head coach. I talked to his quarterback coach, his coordinator. This guy was further along than most of them as far as knowledge of the game.

I'm indifferent, not mad about the pick but not angry about it. I would have felt this way with just about any of the players the Bills would have chosen to pick.

I hope EJ has a hell of a career here in Buffalo, and wish him nothing but the best. Go Bills! Welcome to Buffalo EJ, Jim Kelly has a pair of shoes he'd like you to wear. Can you live up to it?

Has anybody actually watched EJ play or talk to a die hard FSU fan that goes to games? Anybody watch the Florida game or the NCst game when EJ flopped in the biggest moments?

EJ is a guy who has it all except the ability to take over a game and win it. At FSU he played with 10 times the talent that Cam played with at Auburn on offense AND defense. But when the game fell on his shoulders to make a play and win a game he couldn't.

I don't care about his arm, size or speed. I care about the big moments and he was the leader of a team that was the biggest disappointment in CFB last year. He is a perfect Bills pick because there is enough there to get people excited but at the end will wind up not panning out.

Just saw a little snippet of a Marrone interview on ESPN this morning, he said "there were a lot of good QBs in this draft, and I think they quarterbak class was underrated by many, we felt, collectively, as an organization, that he was the best fit for the buffalo bills".

That whole "collectively, as an organization" makes me think that this was not a unanimous decision, possible Marrone wanted someone else and Nix was mushing EJ. That being said, if you watch the presser, Marrone seems to warm up to the EJ pick by the end of the video.

Its a crapshoot, no one knows if he'll pan out, but I do think he has the most potential. Will it suck if Nassib or Smith or Barkley turn into superstars and EJ flames out? Sure. But man, it sure would be nice if the Bills were right for once and picked the best of the bunch. Many of the actual NFL talent evaluators (not former players that are now in the media like warner, but scouts and gruden) love the pick.

Last thought, with EJ, we get a possibility of a home run, with Barkley and Nassib (and maybe even Geno) it seems like we get another average QB that end up being game managers, not game changers.

Whatever, I am no expert, and its all just a crap shoot, at least there's some hope for greatness not acceptance of average.

I can accept you saying they made the wrong choice because you don't like Manuel but to say the BIlls panicked having traded down and still have the entire QB class at their disposal is really lacking in common sense or just a case of extreme trolling.

Make your case against Manuel, but don't twist the facts that this is the guy they coveted all along.

I disagree the nfl draft is so unpredictable, and once anyteam gets a clue about who u desire it becomes a chess match. We got an extra 2nd rd and the QB we wanted. I promise if the eagles or browns knew we had ej rated high and they could stop they would have

Thing is: the Bills have been right about the 1st round...since Buddy has been in charge.

The Bills, even for Dareus but to a lesser degree, were criticized loudly and longly, for all those 1st round picks...and all those people were horribly wrong.

All I know is if this kid can live up to his potential he will be an amazing qb. His highlight film is impressive. He has a rocket arm with a flick of the wrist, and throws a really good deep ball. He looks like he has unlimitted upside. Whereas Barkley and Nassib were both good but and could possibly make an impact sooner, but their ceiling was nowhere near that of Manuels. Guy is a freak..

The Bills traded back and picked up a second rounder in a draft where the value picks are considered in the second. And they got their guy. As far as I see it, its a huge win.

I wasnt expecting the Bills to pick EJ, so I didnt watch much on him prior to the draft. But all we can hope for is that he gets some good coaching. If Marrone was able to get Syracuse and Ryan Nassib to play above and beyond expectation, imagine what he could do with a guy like Manuel. Manuel is by far the most talented qb in the draft athletically. Hopefully he can live up to his potential and reach his ceiling. If he can consistantly make the throws he was making on his highlight tape, sky is the limit.

Just saw a little snippet of a Marrone interview on ESPN this morning, he said "there were a lot of good QBs in this draft, and I think they quarterbak class was underrated by many, we felt, collectively, as an organization, that he was the best fit for the buffalo bills".

Because the Bills are always right and the rest of the NFL are collectively wrong. Whatta joke. The Bills get a QB who doesn't have a signature win in his entire career and routinely flopped against great defenses despite the ridiculous amount of talent around him.

Edited by John Cocktosten

Because the Bills are always right and the rest of the NFL are collectively wrong. Whatta joke. The Bills get a QB who doesn't have a signature win in his entire career and routinely flopped against great defenses despite the ridiculous amount of talent around him.

Were you around here for the CJ Spiller pick?

Or better, were you on earth, and able to access the interent/watch TV for the CJ Spiller pick?

The Bills were right, and yeah, the rest of the NFL was collectively wrong.

WGR reminded me: McShay is still defending his grade on Maybin, and even came on their air and defended it even after the Jets had him. :lol:

Consensus...does not mean...right. There is a wonderful example of this, being played out right now, and it's hilarious, but, I am not allowed to use it here, because it might hurt somebody's feelings. (Really, they will just be angry because it's...true, and it makes them look like the buffoons they are....but whatever)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

i made no secrets that I would have loved to take Nassib, with the correct spot in the draft(late first, early second). that said, i do not know anything about this kid, but all reports indicate he has incredible skills and potential. I am more relieved that we didn't take Smith or Barkley. I think we got a great pick here.

Are you talking about the Senior Bowl MVP and the guy who dominated his Bowl Game against a #15 ranked team? That guy?

Edited by billsrcursed

I am cool with the pick. I liked the trade back and wish that they would have done it again. I didn't want a QB at 8 but Manuel was my favorite of the group (i liked Geno some also) I like his upside. I was terrified of drafting a QB whose ceiling was Dalton or Schaub. I wanted a guy that could turn into a star. He has some flaws that he will need to overcome but I like it.

P.s. how funny was it watching the national reporters being so shocked? Both Chris Brown and Joe Buscaglia mocked EJ to the Bills. A lot of conversation on him around here and we were able to see through the Nassib smokescreen. As I have said before if I want to read and hear intelligent Bills conversations I would rather listen to you guys than that elf Todd McShay.

FWIW, sports talk radio hosts down here.....folks who are intimately familiar with Manuel's play......this morning are saying the Bills blew it, big time. They think Manuel would have been available in 2nd, maybe even 3rd round. Bottom line is that they don't think it was a good pick at all.

Are you talking about the Senior Bowl MVP and they guy who dominated his Bowl Game against a #15 ranked team? That guy?

Or the one who has dominated all the measurables, combine, skill challenges, Sports Science tests....and is 1 of 2 QBs to win 4 consecutive bowl games, ever?

That guy?

FWIW, sports talk radio hosts down here.....folks who are intimately familiar with Manuel's play......this morning are saying the Bills blew it, big time. They think Manuel would have been available in 2nd, maybe even 3rd round. Bottom line is that they don't think it was a good pick at all.

I don't know we'll ever be able to prove it, but the Eagles were taking him in the 2nd. I don't know how else to say it.

Or the one who has dominated all the measurables, combine, skill challenges, Sports Science tests....and is 1 of 2 QBs to win 4 consecutive bowl games, ever?

That guy?

LOL,

I didn't want to choke him with reality. I wanted to reel him in gradually.

But ya, this too!

I'm extremely happy with the Bills pick of EJ Manuel. Also very relieved...lol

True franchise QB prospect who's capable of taking a team to the top if he reaches his ceiling. EJ will probably need a year to sit, learn and smooth out the roughness in his game. I have a great vibe about this draft...now lets get a WR and TE!

I'll go one step farther, Kelly -- it's completely illogical to argue with what they did. This front office did more work evaluating QBs than probably any team in the league. They did their homework. To be able to maneuver like they did, picking up a couple of extra picks, and still get their guy is something very few Bills fans thought this front office was capable of.

Debate the specific pick (Manuel) all you want -- you absolutely can't criticize the Bills' process and execution.

Great post!

Exactly. I would have traded with SF, (who was ready to trade up at that point and did so right after Buffalo picked) picked up another draft pick, or taken Eifert and one of the available QBs in the 2nd round. The QBs are all so similar a gamble that you can throw their names in a bag and pick one in the 2nd round. One would be there. But the Bills panicked and reached. One of the few real reaches in the 1st round by anyone. The rest of the league drafted by BPA based on need. Buffalo just showed why they are the laughing stock of the league. Check out the ratings on the NFL draft tracker for the quality of the picks. See that the ratings that are generally good till you get to the Bills at 16 :wallbash: :wallbash:

Blah, blah, p*ss & moan. The team picked up a 2nd and a 7th and an exciting new face of the franchise. Great first round. I love to read the lamentations of the handwringers and their bellyaching and bitching...until they get over the top like my friend here.

Edited by Green Lightning

Are you talking about the Senior Bowl MVP and the guy who dominated his Bowl Game against a #15 ranked team? That guy?

No, I'm talking about a guy that came a guy that flopped against the only two good defenses he saw the last two years. If you're talking about the #15 team being N. Ill then you have to add that they lost to a terrible Iowa team and squeaked out a 1 point win over Army. That team? Ok if it makes you feel better!

How did he play against the Gators the last two years? He was terrible at home against Oklahoma and lost the game by himself!

You can't blitz in the senior bowl and EJ has zero pocket presence bud. Watch a few college games or talk to some FSU fans.