Bills already making calls to TRADE DOWN

trade down in the draft.

See linky: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/23/4256766/2013-nfl-draft-rumors-buffalo-bills-open-thread.

Nix's interview with ESPN's John Clayton is also included as a bonus.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Teams that have made calls about moving back in draft include PHIL, DET, CLEV, BUFF, MIA. Doing what they should.

Trading down a few spots at the very least makes a lot of sense for the Bills in this draft. I don't think there will be many teams looking to draft Barkley or Nassib at #8 like so many on this board think.

Your thoughts.

And what happens when the Jets take the QB we want? You can bet your butt they take a QB and then cut sanchez and his 8mill salary

They certainly could draft a QB, no doubt, but with Sanchez's bonus money remaining and the fact that his salary this season is guaranteed, they would lose money cutting him at this point. Quite possibly the worst football contract in recent memory.

Buddy must be serious about getting that 7th rounder back...

And possibly willing to sacrifice the QB they are after to do so.

They certainly could draft a QB, no doubt, but with Sanchez's bonus money remaining and the fact that his salary this season is guaranteed, they would lose money cutting him at this point. Quite possibly the worst football contract in recent memory.

It could only happen to better people if it were the Cowboys or NE

Im sure they have also had converstaions about what it would cost to move up too.

Just laying the groundwork and being prepared for all scenarios at this point.

While they may have had such conversations as part of the usual routine, I see zero chance that they will trade up. Trade up to get who? I can't think of anybody. If anything they are talking about moving down because they don't think anybody is worth the 8th pick.

And what happens when the Jets take the QB we want? You can bet your butt they take a QB and then cut sanchez and his 8mill salary

I don't think there is a QB that the team is really that excited about. I don't think there is a guy on the draft board that the Jets could draft and scare the Bills or even disappoint them. Bills are thinking QB project at this point and see if he pans out. next year is a much better QB class if it doesn't pan out.

i think they would not trade down if there was a QB they wanted that bad. if they do, its an indication they have a few rated similarly and don't mind missing out on one.

also, Sanchez's money is guaranteed, that's why he was never rumored to be cut.

Wrong. His salary is 100% guaranteed for 2013. They cut him and they still pay his salary and still take the cap hit. I would bet my butt on that.

The problem is, in this draft all 32 teams probably want to trade down. The best value is in rounds 2-3...

I do not think that is accurate.

You have teams like Atlanta, San Fran, and Minnie who want to jump up to grab an 'impact guy' because they feel they are closer to being a complete team then say the Bills or Browns.

I know Atlanta really wants a difference maker type of guy on D. They need a true number one corner and a pass rusher. I would not be the least bit surprised if Dimitrof moves up

Minnie needs to replace Harvin and give Ponder something to throw too. They have two number ones and as many have mentioned they look like the best possible trade partner for the Bills.

You will see a few trades i think of teams in the 20's moving up into the top 15. It will get more interesting the last 5 picks of the first. If there are a couple qbs still on the board by pick 22 or so watch teams phones light up. Teams will want to jump back in and grab one of the qbs.

I just got out of an interesting meeting with some guys that lets just say are fairly familar with the Bills. Out of the one gentlemens mouth & I quote "There is a real power struggle going on, Marrone wants his boy Nassib, Buddy is really bit in the ass over (wait for several posters to jump off the bridge) Landry Jones." I can't see them taking Jones with a 1st round pick(doesn't he have a 3rd round grade) Maybe Nix will take Jones with our 2nd & take Millner/Austin/one of the LBs with our first round pick. Take it for what it is worth, which is not a hell of alot. Just thought I would share.

I just got out of an interesting meeting with some guys that lets just say are fairly familar with the Bills. Out of the one gentlemens mouth & I quote "There is a real power struggle going on, Marrone wants his boy Nassib, Buddy is really bit in the ass over (wait for several posters to jump off the bridge) Landry Jones." I can't see them taking Jones with a 1st round pick(doesn't he have a 3rd round grade) Maybe Nix will take Jones with our 2nd & take Millner/Austin/one of the LBs with our first round pick. Take it for what it is worth, which is not a hell of alot. Just thought I would share.

Not sure about Jones either way. But it's very, very easy to imagine a heated, even nasty power struggle between GM and coach, especially an offensive minded coach, on a QB in this draft.

In this case, exponentially more likely because of the Marrone familiarity and the lame duck GM whose legacy is highly likely to be directly connected to this draft and the QB he takes.

The chances of the powers that be not agreeing is huge. And Nix on his way out adds to the issue tremendously. Thx for posting that.

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the QB needy teams grab one at their original pick let alone in the first. I am thinking the top 10 picks are looking for top 10 talent, and will look for QB's later on. Don't be surprised to see a lot of movement between those teams in the top of the 2nd and bottom of the 1st. I think a trade up to get ahead of those teams is pretty likely

Interesting stuff thats for sure!!

I think that when talking about a trade down there are a few players that we are going to want to see 1 (or hopefully more) of on the board at 8. Dee Milner, Star Lotulelei Lane Johnson (assuming that the other 2 tackles are gone) and Tavon Austin. These are the players that teams might trade up for if on the board.

Not sure about Jones either way. But it's very, very easy to imagine a heated, even nasty power struggle between GM and coach, especially an offensive minded coach, on a QB in this draft.

In this case, exponentially more likely because of the Marrone familiarity and the lame duck GM whose legacy is highly likely to be directly connected to this draft and the QB he takes.

The chances of the powers that be not agreeing is huge. And Nix on his way out adds to the issue tremendously. Thx for posting that.

No problem. I am not sure what I think of Jones. Everytime I watched him either A.) His receivers were wide open & throws he had to make did not have to fit into tight windows, or B.) He was under pressure & did not look good when heat was brought on him.

I think I would rather take my chances with Nassib or Barkley. Just my opinion.

I think you're absolutely right...this kind of conflict may need to be resolved by Brandon. If that's the case, Marrone gets his man and Buddy walks out of the war room in a huff.

Interesting stuff thats for sure!!

I think that when talking about a trade down there are a few players that we are going to want to see 1 (or hopefully more) of on the board at 8. Dee Milner, Star Lotulelei Lane Johnson (assuming that the other 2 tackles are gone) and Tavon Austin. These are the players that teams might trade up for if on the board.

I think Buddy wants out of this spot bad. Yeah yeah, I know that is not what he does but I think he wants to drop down & get more picks. Whether he could find a partner or not is what this draft is all about. Like you said, if there is a guy or 2 on the board that teams want @ 8 like Austin, he may find a partner.

Listening to that I could see a power struggle for Nassib over Jones. Perhaps they've decided to pick BPA @8 and who's left at 41 is their guy. My guess is Jones will most certainly be there, but Nassib not so much.

This, Gordio's post & KtD's analysis make this arguably the most interesting Bills draft ever...draft day decisions, trade downs scenarios, and staff power struggles abound. I'll be hunkered down on DD with items nearby to throw, drink, and eat.

Well... seeing how the last 4 qb moves Buddy made (drafting the 7th rounder, upping Fitz for big $$, bringing Vince Young in, and giving up a 7th rounder for Jax) I'm pretty sure the one thing we don't want is Buddy making the call. There is no team in the league that would have considered Buddy for a GM job. Ralph gave him the job because no one else would take it. I see Buddy out a few months after the draft. Brandon is not going to let Buddy make a pick that Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone have to live with and Buddy riding off into the sunset. I believe Whaley and Marrone's opinions trump Buddy's. Those two are the present and future of the Bills, not Buddy.

This, Gordio's post & KtD's analysis make this arguably the most interesting Bills draft ever...draft day decisions, trade downs scenarios, and staff power struggles abound. I'll be hunkered down on DD with items nearby to throw, drink, and eat.

Me too brother! Me too! :)

If they draft Jones, Buddy should be fired on the spot.

Should this be true, it's great news! A.) our coach believes his guy is the answer. B.) I believe Landry Jones could be great at the next step. I'd take him over Nassib from everything I've seen..

I'm hooked! I have PLANS for the weekend!

Well, who hired Marrone, his Syracuse crony? If what Gordio posts is true (and this would not surprise me), I wonder who will win this battle lol! :)

Should this be true, it's great news! A.) our coach believes his guy is the answer. B.) I believe Landry Jones could be great at the next step. I'd take him over Nassib from everything I've seen..

Polian likes Jones as well, if what he was saying on ESPN last night has any weight?

I don't think there is a QB that the team is really that excited about. I don't think there is a guy on the draft board that the Jets could draft and scare the Bills or even disappoint them. Bills are thinking QB project at this point and see if he pans out. next year is a much better QB class if it doesn't pan out.

Guarantee we will be in position (top 5 pick) to take one of the top 3 QB's. Won't happen. As much as fans know this team sucks it always screws its self by winning enough games to NOT be in position for a Newton, Luck, RGIII. And about November we will have 3-4 wins and fans will be screaming 'screw the draft, we have to win no matter what blah blah blah' and then come April we won't be in a position to get a Franchise QB.

This **** happens almost every year. This team will always find a way to win 5-7 games and not get out of that funk and its not going to happen with Kolb or TJax at QB. It won't happen with a great defense, it happens when you get a franchise QB.

It is easy to get hooked on Landry's career, but there are some pretty large concerns. in fact similar concerns I think. I heard Pat Kirwan, former(i know former) GM, grade Nassib as a 3rd-4th at best, and would be lucky to become a career backup. Then some have him as the top prospect. McNabb said that people are willing to take a chance because nobody really knows what he is capable of, he is one large question mark, with some upside, and a little talent in a lot of places. Every QB scares me in this draft, and I am terrified of them all.

If this is true, and Marrone hangs his first head NFL job on his questionable QB, then it will either make or break his career. He either has the ability to identify, find, and cultivate talent, or he doesn't. For this reason if I were Marrone I would stay away from Nassib, the risk of failure with that decision far out weighs the gains if he is successful I think.

I had to remember this is some rumor from some guy or I might have slit my wrists right there...

There is only ONE player worth #8 other than QB and that is Tavon Austin and I can see people trading ahead of us to get him.