Dickerson now at WR (BB.com has him listed as FB/TE)

I was cruising BillsMafia for stuff on Pettine when I found that Dickerson's been moved from HB to WR.

http://billsmafia.co...orin-dickerson/

I thought it was a mistake st first, but apparently he's now #82. I thought it was crazy until I looked at his measurables from when he was drafted:

Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP

6 ft 2 in 226 lb 34 in 9¾ in 4.40 s 4.30 s 6.96 s 43 in 10 ft 5 in 24 reps

Those...aren't bad. I didn't know it at first, but the man put up freakish combine numbers. We've been talking about getting a big, fast receiver. Did we have him all along, and were just keeping him at the wrong spot?

Edited by Beerball
Edited title

Well 82 is a TE number, too. Dickerson is still a project, but an interesting one. I'm still thinking that Marrone and Hackett want to use him as a TE/HB/WR hybrid, like they envisioned using Fred Davis or Delanie Walker, both of whom they went after. Similar to the way Pettine wants LBs who, when they are in the huddle the offense doesn't know if we are going to line up in a 43, 34, 46 or whatever, I fully expect to see our offense do the same thing, with guys like Dickerson, as well as using Spiller and Fred together.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Where does it say he converted to WR other than the title?

Also Pittsburgh to Buffalo is way longer than an hour drive.

The end of the article. The author found out about the change after the interview and when asked (apparently via text) Dickerson replied: "Yup, I'm a WR now :)"

Maybe it's not a slam dunk like I first thought, but it seems like a decent indicator.

He's still dorin Dickerson. Changing his number didnt suddenly make him a game changer. Good depth but not a guy you want to rely on heavily.

Admittedly there's cause for skepticism but 1) Up until now, we had zero depth at WR, and 2) FB and TE are two position Chan Gailey seemingly forgot are allowed to touch the ball. I'd like to see what he can do when given the chance.

Well 82 is a TE number, too. Dickerson is still a project, but an interesting one. I'm still thinking that Marrone and Hackett want to use him as a TE/HB/WR hybrid, like they envisioned using Fred Davis or Delanie Walker, both of whom they went after. Similar to the way Pettine wants LBs who, when they are in the huddle the offense doesn't know if we are going to line up in a 43, 34, 46 or whatever, I fully expect to see our offense do the same thing, with guys like Dickerson, as well as using Spiller and Fred together.

Fair point. It would be really nice if they used the chance to mix things up coming out of the huddle, and if Dickerson can go out wide (we know Spiller can), I can see creating a lot of confusion for the defense.

The end of the article. The author found out about the change after the interview and when asked (apparently via text) Dickerson replied: "Yup, I'm a WR now :)"

Maybe it's not a slam dunk like I first thought, but it seems like a decent indicator.

Admittedly there's cause for skepticism but 1) Up until now, we had zero depth at WR, and 2) FB and TE are two position Chan Gailey seemingly forgot are allowed to touch the ball. I'd like to see what he can do when given the chance.

Fair point. It would be really nice if they used the chance to mix things up coming out of the huddle, and if Dickerson can go out wide (we know Spiller can), I can see creating a lot of confusion for the defense.

We have no more depth at WR now. If anything you should be wondering what the FB and TE positions have in store for them if he's really working out with the WRs full time

This is exactly what NE does and why they are successful on offense

Great measureables. He's been in the league for a couple of years and hasn't done s#it amd there is no evidence he'll do s#it this year.

Reminds me of all the measureables of this years qbs in the draft. Thats all great, but if you aint got it between the ears and dont have the passion or will to do what it takes it to be good, its meaninhless.

Great measureables. He's been in the league for a couple of years and hasn't done s#it amd there is no evidence he'll do s#it this year.

Reminds me of all the measureables of this years qbs in the draft. Thats all great, but if you aint got it between the ears and dont have the passion or will to do what it takes it to be good, its meaninhless.

It's easy to imagine that he hasn't done much yet is because of his size as a tweener. He's been playing TE and he's not big enough to play TE full time, nor can he block well enough. I don't think anyone expects him to be an every down player at any position. But he could be a valuable role player and mismatch-maker if used correctly.

It's easy to imagine that he hasn't done much yet is because of his size as a tweener. He's been playing TE and he's not big enough to play TE full time, nor can he block well enough. I don't think anyone expects him to be an every down player at any position. But he could be a valuable role player and mismatch-maker if used correctly.

it seems like they could potentially do a real nice job of identifying these kinds of players to exploit other teams' inability to defend them. But then I think of what they've done thus far with Brad Smith and I get discouraged. Hopefully Marrone has some fresh ideas to offer. I am still not sold on his hiring but I do like the idea of a younger guy who knows offense and comes from an OL background. We'll see.

it seems like they could potentially do a real nice job of identifying these kinds of players to exploit other teams' inability to defend them. But then I think of what they've done thus far with Brad Smith and I get discouraged. Hopefully Marrone has some fresh ideas to offer. I am still not sold on his hiring but I do like the idea of a younger guy who knows offense and comes from an OL background. We'll see.

Chan totally blew it with Brad Smith. A large portion of Chan blowing it was his stubbornness, and the injuries to the WRs that made Chan play Smith at WR full time. But IMO, he could have spent far more time and got far better results by designing and practicing plays for Smith all over the field, rather than scrapping the Wildcat and the other options for Smith because he didn't have enough WRs. That to me was a huge mistake.

I'm hoping that Hackett and Marrone won't make that same mistake. From what little I know about them, however, they are much more willing to be flexible and innovative than Chan.

I was cruising BillsMafia for stuff on Pettine when I found that Dickerson's been moved from HB to WR.

I thought it was a mistake st first, but apparently he's now #82. I thought it was crazy until I looked at his measurables from when he was drafted:

Those...aren't bad. I didn't know it at first, but the man put up freakish combine numbers. We've been talking about getting a big, fast receiver. Did we have him all along, and were just keeping him at the wrong spot?

Unfortunately, great combine numbers don't make a guy into an NFL wideout.

The ability to master the playbook and run precise timed routes, beat the jam off the line, and great hands are all more germaine. That, and an instinct for the ball.

Does anyone remember any film on him in preseason or anything from training camp last year that would indicate he has any of the above?

I seem to recall at least one preseason game where Dickerson lined up at wideout, streaked down the field, and practically had the ball hit him in the back of the helmet. Then another where he basically turned around and ran backwards. Now granted he didn't have Peyton Manning throwing to him, but none of our other wideouts looked that glaringly abroad. I remember thinking "OMG he'll never cut it as a WR, I hope that's not how they plan to use him". In contrast, I remember Corey Mac catching a few balls and looking surprisingly at home.

I hope I'm mistaken and would love to have evidence to the contrary (memories of training camp, preseason film clips) brought to my attention.

I'm sorry. You see, apparently when I went mentioning that Dickerson seems to be placed at WR, and remarked that he might, just might be able to step up to the lofty bar set by superstars Donald Jones and David Nelson and may be an effective #2 receiver, I also simultaneously whistled at your mother and insulted your manhood.

Unfortunately, great combine numbers don't make a guy into an NFL wideout.

The ability to master the playbook and run precise timed routes, beat the jam off the line, and great hands are all more germaine. That, and an instinct for the ball.

Does anyone remember any film on him in preseason or anything from training camp last year that would indicate he has any of the above?

I seem to recall at least one preseason game where Dickerson lined up at wideout, streaked down the field, and practically had the ball hit him in the back of the helmet. Then another where he basically turned around and ran backwards. Now granted he didn't have Peyton Manning throwing to him, but none of our other wideouts looked that glaringly abroad. I remember thinking "OMG he'll never cut it as a WR, I hope that's not how they plan to use him". In contrast, I remember Corey Mac catching a few balls and looking surprisingly at home.

I hope I'm mistaken and would love to have evidence to the contrary (memories of training camp, preseason film clips) brought to my attention.

Well, at least you bring actual evidence and fair points in your argument. Honestly, I don't know. We saw so little of him that I have no way of knowing whether his absence was due to Chan or Fitz. I seem to remember him having a few decent catches when Chandler was out, but he's not a sure thing. Fortunately, I don't think anyone is relying on him to be a superstar.

Don't remember what game it was, but I remember us being backed up near our own goal line and Dorin took a screen pass out like 20-30 yards and he looked good running it. Not that that makes him a great WR, but that was when I started looking out for him. I was disappointed that Chan didn't use him more. Guess we'll see what happens now.

Exactly. Dickerson offers great flexibility as he can line up at H- Back, TE, or slot and has very good speed. He is a couple inches shorter than Nelson, but faster and heavier making him much more valuable potentially than Nelson was in essentially the same role.

Exactly. Dickerson offers great flexibility as he can line up at H- Back, TE, or slot and has very good speed. He is a couple inches shorter than Nelson, but faster and heavier making him much more valuable potentially than Nelson was in essentially the same role.

Except that Nelson has a great knack for getting open, runs great routes and has great hands. ;)

Can he run a full WR route tree. He is strong enough to beat any jam by CB. Basically he has the intangibles, can he get better at it. If he doesn't make it as a WR he'll probably be special teams depth players.

He put up good numbers at the combine

2nd fastest that year out of all TE and WR's

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2010&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=WR-TE

he was 4th in bench press 24 reps

1st in vertical jump, 2nd in broad jump. A little slower n the cone drills and shuttles

Can he run a full WR route tree. He is strong enough to beat any jam by CB. Basically he has the intangibles, can he get better at it. If he doesn't make it as a WR he'll probably be special teams depth players.

He put up good numbers at the combine

2nd fastest that year out of all TE and WR's

http://www.nfl.com/c...&position=WR-TE

he was 4th in bench press 24 reps

1st in vertical jump, 2nd in broad jump. A little slower n the cone drills and shuttles

He's not a wide receiver, he was kidding. He's a TE/FB according to the Bills site. I would expect that as a TE he will play the slot quite often blurring the line between TE & WR a bit.

Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP

6 ft 2 in 226 lb 34 in 9¾ in 4.40 s 4.30 s 6.96 s 43 in 10 ft 5 in 24 reps

Probably, Chan couldn't figure out how to use Spiller so ...

Bet he had some splainin to to do when almost forgot his girlfriend as things he likes.

So how does that song pump him up? It had that late 80' early 90's sound and is happy go lucky not intense get up music.

Where does it say he converted to WR other than the title?

Also Pittsburgh to Buffalo is way longer than an hour drive.

Thought the same about Pittsburgh, but that's our college education working for ya :thumbsup:

the very last line in red said he was a WR.

It makes me laugh whenever anyone on a message board calls a player a scrub, etc.

First of all, every guy in the NFL is a hell of an athlete (even the practice squad guys) and

many times the player is considered a scrub merely because the poster hasn't seen anything

from them yet. If the guy played and was consistently bad that is one thing, but sometimes a

player just needs an opportunity or some seasoning/learning (See Stevie Johnson and C. J. Spiller,

who were both considered scrubs/busts by many before they started producing).

I'm not saying Dickerson is going to be a special player or anything, I don't know...but I'm not writing a 2nd/3rd

year guy off already either without seeing what he can do. Especially one with the athletic skills he has.

Who knows, maybe with the right coaching staff, who can find the right role for him, he'll be an asset for the team.

Interesting:

He played WR (8 games), TE (26 games), OLB (12 games), and returned kicks in college for Pitt

Post-Draft Outlook: A closer look at the Texans' picks: Round 7/227 -- Dorin Dickerson, WR, 6-2, 226, Pittsburgh, They're moving the tight end/h-back

to wide receiver because they like his size, speed, athleticism and versatility. They want him to focus on one spot rather than being a jack of all trades.

http://www.nfldrafts...=2010&genpos=TE

College Highlights

A long pre-draft writeup

http://www.cbssports...torical/1114988

Some scouting reports had him as a 3rd round selection (even though he fell to the 7th).

Let's see what the kid can do with the new staff before we assume that he sucks.

Edited by folz

if i remember correctly, he is built like a bruiser back. definately not like a speed back, but not quite as big as a fb. in limited action last year he looked like he ran fast and strong but did not look shifty or quick. so if the new coaches can find a place for a guy with good straight-line speed and a bit of power, then he might surprise a few people.

It makes me laugh whenever anyone on a message board calls a player a scrub, etc.

First of all, every guy in the NFL is a hell of an athlete (even the practice squad guys) and

many times the player is considered a scrub merely because the poster hasn't seen anything

from them yet. If the guy played and was consistently bad that is one thing, but sometimes a

player just needs an opportunity or some seasoning/learning (See Stevie Johnson and C. J. Spiller,

who were both considered scrubs/busts by many before they started producing).

I'm not saying Dickerson is going to be a special player or anything, I don't know...but I'm not writing a 2nd/3rd

year guy off already either without seeing what he can do. Especially one with the athletic skills he has.

Who knows, maybe with the right coaching staff, who can find the right role for him, he'll be an asset for the team.

Interesting:

He played WR (8 games), TE (26 games), OLB (12 games), and returned kicks in college for Pitt

Post-Draft Outlook: A closer look at the Texans' picks: Round 7/227 -- Dorin Dickerson, WR, 6-2, 226, Pittsburgh, They're moving the tight end/h-back

to wide receiver because they like his size, speed, athleticism and versatility. They want him to focus on one spot rather than being a jack of all trades.

College Highlights

A long pre-draft writeup

Some scouting reports had him as a 3rd round selection (even though he fell to the 7th).

Let's see what the kid can do with the new staff before we assume that he sucks.

My brother went to Pitt and always said he was a great player, that Wannstache couldn't decide where to use. Would be a nice surprise in my opinion if this were true and worked out. I won't count on it by any means, but find it intriguing now that I hope Buffalo has legitimate coaching, yet again.

College Highlights

A long pre-draft writeup

This is exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping to see, thank you very much! At the 2nd link you posted, I also found

, which is a catch you don't see every day. Pretty impressive focus to haul that one in and stay in bounds.

So he played WR and TE in college, and pro-teams tried to make him into an H-back. I'm willing to chalk the stuff I saw last preseason up to being asked to take on too many roles to really learn the offense as a WR. And the offense Chan was trying to use (like the Giants and Pats) legitimately makes huge demands on the WR to make on-field reads and adjust to the defense. He might do better in a WC type O which, at least in the classic version, precisely defines what the WR is expected to do

So if WR/TE is how the Bills want to use him, sure, give him a chance - as long as it doesn't mean the Bills don't try to draft a top WR.