Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the signing, confused by one year deal, but also confused why we are shopping for a DT when we have way bigger needs.

Who says we're only looking at 1 player at a time? Who says that in Pettine's new Defense adding another DT/NT isnt as important as another LB?

I like the signing, confused by one year deal, but also confused why we are shopping for a DT when we have way bigger needs.

maybe the front office is looking for value wherever they can get it, a "most bang for the buck" type thing. they may have also looked at video of last years run defense and thought it might not be a bad thing to try to start fixing it.

Edited by swnybillsfan

They need a rotation at DT. Additionally need some insurance in case Dareus has any stamina or conditioning issues.

Doesn't mean DT is not a need. Can't always get the players in the order you want.

Well may be the boys in the lab aren't finished cooking up the players to fill these "way bigger needs."

Precisely who should we have signed instead of Branch>

Who says we're only looking at 1 player at a time? Who says that in Pettine's new Defense adding another DT/NT isnt as important as another LB?

Exactly...Especially when you consider that fact that the Bills only had one true NT...And he's missed the better part of the past two years with back issues...Considering that point, it's a huge signing...

I pretty much assume with Pettine's system the Bills will manufacture more pressure on the QB...But defending the run...without a true NT...is an entirely different story...For 3 years now teams have lined up and run the ball right at they heart of the Bills Defense with not just good, but at times tremendous success...Was some of that LB's missing tackles and blowing their gap assignments? No doubt about it... But it was also Dareus, Williams, or whoever else was in the middle getting owned at times...

So anyway...Nothing wrong with bringing in someone who can help plug up the middle...Especially with Troup's future in as much doubt as his actual ability to be effective...And I consider any move that will keep KW, and Dareus, off the Nose to be in the Bills best interest... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

So would you be happier with a bad signing at a position of need?

I've decided Dork is either a staunchly committed troll or the most miserable person on the face of the planet (albeit not mutually exclusive from troll).

Either way, the ignore function be thine friend.

PR observation:

BB.com already has a story on him.

Nearly a week after Kolb, I have yet to see anything there about that guy.

I assume that it is simply a personal thing, and that Kolb is just on vacation, or moving, or whatever. It's a done deal, they just have to get him in town and sign the contract. As soon as he signs he will be paraded around. You could tell from what Marrone said today, he is just waiting until it is "official" and then will talk. Marrone even said he will go out of his way to come back and talk to the media guys as soon as that happens, so you know he just expects it is a formality.

Like I said, I'm confused about it. Obviously they have a plan and priorities that don't match up with my thoughts. Hence why I have a desk jockey job, and not a job in the NFL. :)

So would you be happier with a bad signing at a position of need?

Why does it have to be that? I'd rather have a solid signing at a position of "need". Like I said, I'm ok with this signing, just a bit confused by it. I'm not saying its a bad signing at all.

I've decided Dork is either a staunchly committed troll or the most miserable person on the face of the planet (albeit not mutually exclusive from troll).

Either way, the ignore function be thine friend.

Believe it or not, I'm quite happy. I'm just not "trusting" of the Bills in general, they make a lot of mistakes. As I said above, I like the signing, just a bit confused by it. Another person mentioned rotation, which is a good point, as I'm sure Carrington will be more used as a DE in the hybrid defense that it sounds like we're running. Consider me educated. Sorry for trolling.

At any other time in the Bills history, I would have liked this.

But given the looooooooooong list of areas we need to improve, this signals some financial mismanagement and poorly set priorities.

LB, WR, QB...once we have solidified these areas, then the top brass can spend money on DL. Same goes for the draft. This guy might play well for the Bills, and I'll cheer for him and all....but...seriously?

Quote from him from CBS site:

"Buffalo intrigued me a lot. ... My aggressive style is similar to theirs," Branch said. "I feel they had me in mind from the beginning. ... This is perfect for me."

Aggressive style? Didn't Bills play Seattle in Toronto last year

Maybe he heard from Lynch that Toronto is a good place to live in when playing in Buffalo and you get a game each year to bring your coworkers to your crib.

Quote from him from CBS site:

"Buffalo intrigued me a lot. ... My aggressive style is similar to theirs," Branch said. "I feel they had me in mind from the beginning. ... This is perfect for me."

Aggressive style? Didn't Bills play Seattle in Toronto last year

Maybe he heard from Lynch that Toronto is a good place to live in when playing in Buffalo and you get a game each year to bring your coworkers to your crib.

The new 2013 scheme, not Wanny's 1990's vanilla scheme.

Who are DT, DE and OLB on the roster?

Given the hybrids and the different fronts that teams run within the same game, let alone same season, it's tough to define.

But here is our list of talent that would fill those roles one way or another:

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Marcel Dareus

Alex Carrington

Alan Branch

Mark Anderson

Manny Lawson

Nigel Bradham

Arther Moats

Seems we're short on DEs, but we should be able to find 5-6 guys out of that list to play DT, DE, and OLB regardless of scheme.

But given the looooooooooong list of areas we need to improve, this signals some financial mismanagement and poorly set priorities.

LB, WR, QB...once we have solidified these areas, then the top brass can spend money on DL. Same goes for the draft. This guy might play well for the Bills, and I'll cheer for him and all....but...seriously?

So your "looooooooooong list" is really 3 positions? 2 of which we've already added players via FA?

Really what it comes down to is that we need to add at least 1 WR in FA, and maybe another LB. And all will still most likely be addressed in the draft. I'll even throw in OL as well, and give you that one.

Not that long of a list, and not that many answers available in FA right now. Might as well improve the roster where ever possible, when ever possible.

Edited by DrDareustein

We have been historically bad against the run. Pettine's defense needs a nose tackle. Prior to this signing, we had no true nose tackle on the roster. This was as big a need as anything else outside of Quarterback.

Given the hybrids and the different fronts that teams run within the same game, let alone same season, it's tough to define.

But here is our list of talent that would fill those roles one way or another:

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Marcel Dareus

Alex Carrington

Alan Branch

Mark Anderson

Manny Lawson

Nigel Bradham

Arther Moats

Seems we're short on DEs, but we should be able to find 5-6 guys out of that list to play DT, DE, and OLB regardless of scheme.

So your "looooooooooong list" is really 3 positions? 2 of which we've already added players via FA?

Really what it comes down to is that we need to add at least 1 WR in FA, and maybe another LB. And all will still most likely be addressed in the draft. I'll even throw in OL as well, and give you that one.

Not that long of a list, and not that many answers available in FA right now. Might as well improve the roster where ever possible, when ever possible.

Personally I like the signing, but nonetheless, he does have a legitimate concern.

I'm confused (... I know). The write up on buffalobills.com talks about him playing 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT, but many of the posters here are talking about him at NT. Is this guy a NT or a DE when they go 3-4?

I'm confused (... I know). The write up on buffalobills.com talks about him playing 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT, but many of the posters here are talking about him at NT. Is this guy a NT or a DE when they go 3-4?

The answer simply put is:

All of the above

I'm guessing both. He'll see some time at NT in the 3-4 and I bet Dareus will also see some snaps at NT. One thing our defensive line have is versatility. Nearly everyone on the roster can and has played multiple positions along the line.

Addressing another poster, Another DT was definitely a need. I don't see how you could depend on Troupe for anything at this point in his career. Big men get tired so you can't just assume that Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus will be able to play every snap.

Branch is also a very good run defender which will be put to good use here. We weren't exactly the stoutest team against the run last season. This signing checks off another box on the roster and gives us one less position that we need to spend a draft pick on. I'd much rather sign Branch and then be able to spend that pick on another WR or OLB which need talent, badly.

The answer simply put is:

All of the above

If you watch the video he also says he is willing to play safety. I know Aaron Williams sucks but should the new guy really be taking pot shots like that at a brand new teammate? He even chuckles as he says it. I know he is a big guy but I am guessing Williams takes a run at him in the locker room or at practice.

I like this signing a lot. He is good against the run and with all the other talent on the DL he will fit in nicely. I wouldnt be surprised to see a front 3 of KW on one side, Dareus on the other, Branch in the middle and Mario at OLB blazing at the QB.

Nothing about building NFL rosters is a linear process. Ever.

GO BILLS!!!

So would you have preferred a bad signing at one of those positions? What other QBs out there, do you want them to sign? What leads you to believe they are not / have not looked at those positions?

Edited by jeremy2020

I like this signing a lot. He is good against the run and with all the other talent on the DL he will fit in nicely. I wouldnt be surprised to see a front 3 of KW on one side, Dareus on the other, Branch in the middle and Mario at OLB blazing at the QB.

At times, I wouldn't be surprised if we see this formation. If they do plan on following through with all the disguised blitzing that we believe they will perform, it's not as critical for them to get heavy pass pressure with the front four.

Like I said, I'm confused about it. Obviously they have a plan and priorities that don't match up with my thoughts. Hence why I have a desk jockey job, and not a job in the NFL. :)

yea - but even so, just because they signed a DT today doesnt mean it was seen as a bigger need or priority than something else, it just means they found a guy that was a good fit at a value they liked and that guy agreed to their offer.

If you watch the video he also says he is willing to play safety. I know Aaron Williams sucks but should the new guy really be taking pot shots like that at a brand new teammate? He even chuckles as he says it. I know he is a big guy but I am guessing Williams takes a run at him in the locker room or at practice.

I think he meant it more like he's versatile and wants to play. I doubt he knows who Aaron Williams even is.