DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but then just cut his ass right now. No backup is worth that money, cut him.

the obvious alternative they are pursuing is a pay cut to compete.

i think a bigger takeaway is he used the phrase "as a backup" when referring to fitzs role next year. that sounds like he is a bigger fan of jackson than chan was.

Folks will go to great length to try and justify their nagging need to proclaim Nix is "asleep at the wheel." I don't think this incident satisfies that need, AT ALL.

He said nothing that isn't already written about--ad naseum.

In fact, having just listened to the conversation, I firmly believe that anyone who has a major issue with whatever secrets they think Nix let fly didn't actually listen to the talk they had.

You're mssing the point entirely. See JPS's reponse. Why is Buddy moaning to another GM about his Fitz problem?? You're the GM, Cleetus. Fix the problem and move on. I f you think he's barely a backup (to who? T Jackson--the guy you hired, didn't play, let go--and resigned?), cut him. Otherwise retire and stop embarrassing the fans of the Bills.

After listening to the clips, this isnt as embarrassing as I first thought it would be. Nix doesnt tell us anything we dont already know, and it's actually reassuring to hear he feels the same way about Fitz.

The only really embarrassing part is Nix not having the other GM's phone number, and the fact that they both fell for a prank. But it's very easy to dupe people with phone calls nowadays, with Caller ID masking and all the other technology available.

"I don't know WHAT we're gonna do at quarterback"

Buddy Nix

thats not inept, thats just common sense. he doesnt know what fitz is going to agree to, and he doesnt know how the draft will fall.

how would he KNOW what is going to happen at this point?

Let me also add that this is a disappointing three-steps-back for Deadspin's posturing as a legitimate and effective "journalism" outlet.

These KIDS violated so many ethical standards it's--quite literally--not funny.

Agreed. It's quite illegal, unethical, and just bush-league. Still pretty interesting though!

And how exactly does he look inept????

Hmmmm yes, maybe Buddy is using his often touted misinformation techniques (touted here anyway) in this case again.

Maybe Buddy knew he was being recorded when he said that about Fitz and it's all just a clever ploy to get Fitz to take less pay!

As if Nix wasn't embarrassing enough...

Love how he is acting like Fitz is holding the franchise hostage, keeping Buddy Whaley from all these huge FA moves he was going to make.

I have been on the "Fitz has to go bandwagon" since they signed him 30 seconds into free agency a few years ago. With that said, I don't blame Fitz for signing that contract, players have to get what they can get. The blame for that franchise crippling disaster of a deal falls on Nix and anyone else in the front office who was in on making that happen.

After listening to the clips, this isnt as embarrassing as I first thought it would be. Nix doesnt tell us anything we dont already know, and it's actually reassuring to hear he feels the same way about Fitz.

The only really embarrassing part is Nix not having the other GM's phone number, and the fact that they both fell for a prank. But it's very easy to dupe people with phone calls nowadays, with Caller ID masking and all the other technology available.

and even then - it sounds like theyve spoken before. id imagine these numbers change occasionally and he may have thought he had an outdated one and the new one was accurate for instance.

its embarrassing, but not damning for nix

thats not inept, thats just common sense. he doesnt know what fitz is going to agree to, and he doesnt know how the draft will fall.

Quiet, you. The rest of TBD has just found another reason to hate Buddy, let them revel in their new found knowledge.

That's what I think. It's very embarrassing, IMO, that Nix doesn't have the GM's number though. I think Buddy plays up I'm just the dumb southern boy routine sometimes, but having the wrong number for one of the 32 GMs is pretty embarrassing. There wasn't anything said that was surprising. It's actually good to know that Buddy thinks Fitz is a back-up and Fitz needs to make a choice. It makes me believe that Fitz will restructure today on a Bills friendly deal.

Growing tired of the ragging on Buddy. So what if he talks simple and struggles when it comes to technology, the man knows football. At the very least you can see he HAS been trying to turn this around and I am not going to pile on too.

And how exactly does he look inept????

By complaining about a dead weight contract for a player who's not worthy of starting; a contract whose terms are difficult for the team to renegotiate because the player is in a better negotiating position, because the team basically telegraphed that they are looking for his replacement very early. And now he's reinforced that. You know, a situation that the GM on his own created. Doesn't get more incompetent than that.

Buddy Nix

Scott Berchtold just threw up in his mouth. The Bills VP of Communications job just got a lot harder.

Wow. Why does this seem like this seem like Dumb and Dumber with this GM at the helm?

He just said Fitz would be fighting for a backup spot. Why not cut him then and solve your problem? His complaint makes no sense. Ineptitude defined (he was the guy who gave Fitz this contract not 2 years ago).

By complaining about a dead weight contract for a player who's not worthy of starting; a contract whose terms are difficult for the team to renegotiate because the player is in a better negotiating position, because the team basically telegraphed that they are looking for his replacement very early. And now he's reinforced that. You know, a situation that the GM on his own created. Doesn't get more incompetent than that.

This states the ineptitude better than anyone else so far. Apologies to the Buddy cultists.

A. I would have a plan. I would have 2 or 3 plans.

B. I would not share it with someone who could directly affect any of my plans.

The thing I like about the Seahawks is they know what they want, then go get it. Buffalo's plans: Trent Edwards. Nope. Cut him. Ryan Fitz. 5 games. Pay the man. Oops. He sucks. Cut him?? 3/4. 4/3. 3/4. Multiple.

Even Buddy saying "we're all set at OT". Good god...it's frustrating.

You're mssing the point entirely. See JPS's reponse. Why is Buddy moaning to another GM about his Fitz problem?? You're the GM, Cleetus. Fix the problem and move on. I f you think he's barely a backup (to who? T Jackson--the guy you hired, didn't play, let go--and resigned?), cut him. Otherwise retire and stop embarrassing the fans of the Bills.

Theres more to it then just cutting him, its not that easy. They have to look at it from all aspects. Is it worth the large cap hit to cut him plus the additional cost of having to find someone to take his roster spot? Would it be better cap/salary wise to keep him as a backup for now until they have more salary cap space to cut him?

Tjax was traded for, but they never let him go, he was re-signed before he could become a FA this offseason.

who cares what he said about Fitz, other than it sounds like they will cut his salry or him. that news doesn't affect anything.

what i don't like is "we're set at Tackle"... because a.) yer not and b.) OT is strong at the top of this draft, and it is not to the Bills advantage to let everyone know they aren't interested in taking one.

i feel bad but i just totally had the image from the office pop into my head...

where they were setting creed up with a blog and just wrote "www.creedthoughts.gov.www\creedthoughts" at the top of a word document and told him he was all set

im definitely sticking up for him a bit in the thread, as i dont think its near the catastrophe that some are portraying but an image of russ setting buddy up with the new email and phone systems did crack a little laugh out of me

Growing tired of the ragging on Buddy. So what if he talks simple and struggles when it comes to technology, the man knows football. At the very least you can see he HAS been trying to turn this around and I am not going to pile on too.

I keep hearing about how he knows football and how good he is, but I have yet to see it. He didn't build SD, John Butler (RIP big man) and AJ Smith did. No one offered Nix a GM job before Ralph did which is all you need to know.

HE signed fitz to the extension he has now and imho can't evaluate QB talent for crap. 'Doesn't know what he is going to do about QB'? How about you let someone else who can evaluate them somewhat pick one and get out of the way?

Buddy Nix

Well, aside from building a new one...exactly WHO do you expect to be a sure-fire solution that we can safely, and assuredly go after? What's he saying that we didn't already know?

Bears repeating: Well, aside from building a new one...exactly WHO do you expect to be a sure-fire solution that we can safely, and assuredly go after? What's he saying that we didn't already know?

What this guy said.

Except he wasn't extended under the current circumstances. Shame on Nix for not evaluating Fitz on yet-to-happen games/performances. He was re-signed after a huge comeback win, and a win over the Patriots*. What evidence had Fitz given them in a Bills uniform, after steady improvements from 2010 through the beginning of 2011, that he was destined to tank.

It's really easy for the hammers among us to say "he's always sucked, we should have know he always will suck." When you spin every situation to the negative (something you, GG, are frequently guilty of), you're bound to be right every once in a while. You're likely to pound a nail here and there. Bra-!@#$ing-vo for accurately predicting the future this time.

who cares what he said about Fitz, other than it sounds like they will cut his salry or him. that news doesn't affect anything.

what i don't like is "we're set at Tackle"... because a.) yer not and b.) OT is strong at the top of this draft, and it is not to the Bills advantage to let everyone know they aren't interested in taking one.

From a football perspective, this is, by far, the most serious issue resulting from the leaked call.

Edit: It's also very interesting to hear what Dominik thinks of Freeman. That can't be good for their team.

Edited by ny33

A. I would have a plan. I would have 2 or 3 plans.

B. I would not share it with someone who could directly affect any of my plans.

The thing I like about the Seahawks is they know what they want, then go get it. Buffalo's plans: Trent Edwards. Nope. Cut him. Ryan Fitz. 5 games. Pay the man. Oops. He sucks. Cut him?? 3/4. 4/3. 3/4. Multiple.

Even Buddy saying "we're all set at OT". Good god...it's frustrating.

First part - id assume there are a few options - doesnt mean he has to outline them in detail to tampas gm in this specific 6 minute conversation. fitz is expensive and doesnt seem to want a pay cut. none of that is crazy. he doesnt know what is going to happen yet.

buddy passing on a trade with tampa for jamon meredith also isnt all that nuts.

come on....

From a football perspective, this is, by far, the most serious issue resulting from the leaked call.

Edit: It's also very interesting to hear what Dominik thinks of Freeman. That can't be good for their team.

from nixs side, it can be chalked up as a polite decline on a tackle that isnt as good as what we have.

Glenn, Hairston, Pears, Sanders... The OT position is one of our few STRENGTHS on this team now.

Was it said after the Tampa GM was trying to offer up Meridith? Isn't that just one of those go to lines when someone offers you something you're not interested in?

Scott Berchtold just threw up in his mouth. The Bills VP of Communications job just got a lot harder.

Wow. Why does this seem like this seem like Dumb and Dumber with this GM at the helm?

It extends beyond the management... Marrone will be gone in three years, same as the others. I am still shocked people are buying into this... if the story doesn't shock them back into reality, I don't know what will!!!

That's what I think. It's very embarrassing, IMO, that Nix doesn't have the GM's number though. I think Buddy plays up I'm just the dumb southern boy routine sometimes, but having the wrong number for one of the 32 GMs is pretty embarrassing. There wasn't anything said that was surprising. It's actually good to know that Buddy thinks Fitz is a back-up and Fitz needs to make a choice. It makes me believe that Fitz will restructure today on a Bills friendly deal.

Its embarrassing because he fell for a prank, but its an assumption to think that he should have known it wasn't the Bucs GM because of a phone number.

Each team I would assume would have a contact number for every teams front office (probably with a secretary who would make the call/receive the calls and put them through to the GM. Its also very likely that GMs have personal and business cell phones they might call from and that teams may not always have those numbers or now them by heart.

Its embarrassing because he fell for a prank, but its an assumption to think that he should have known it wasn't the Bucs GM because of a phone number.

Each team I would assume would have a contact number for every teams front office (probably with a secretary who would make the call/receive the calls and put them through to the GM. Its also very likely that GMs have personal and business cell phones they might call from and that teams may not always have those numbers or now them by heart.

Well, you also heard what the Bucs GM said: "I wouldn't mess with that..." (or something to that effect)

Translation: when your secretary tells you there's another GM on the line in the hours leading up to FA, YOU TAKE THE !@#$ING CALL. So I don't blame him for being "pranked."

Given the royal family scandal from earlier this year, should we put Nix's secretary on suicide watch?

Ok. I guess I'm just being a "Buddy hater". He really has done a good job and given us very little reason for concern. :doh:

You guys just have way more confidence in him or more patience that I do. Something. I dunno.

Its kinda comforting to know that Nix views Fitzpatrick as a problem.

No, Fitz isn't the problem Buddy is! He's the idiot that handed him that retarded contract!

I didn't truly realize to what depth of ridiculous our administrators were until validation like this was revealed. Buddy is an old country bumpkin fool who needs to be immediately removed before the draft and give the reins to Whaley before there is anymore irrepairable damage. IMO we got nothing to lose by doing this, I have NEVER been more embarrassed as a Bills' fan as I am right now! The most recent mistake that the Bills have made was not including Buddy when they purged Chan Gailey and the whole coaching staff. What an idiot this guy is! Get rid of this old fu@$er before he drafts a RB or CB with our first pick of the draft!