Senior Bowl Practice & Game Thread

Bangarang

Day 1 of Senior Bowl practice is a few hours away and I figured this will be a good place to discuss what we see.

Coverage starts at 4pm on NFL Network.

QBs Participating:

North: Zac Dysert

Mike Glennon

Ryan Nassib

South: Landry Jones

EJ Manuel

Tyler WIlson

I only listed QBs because that's all I care about at this point and don't really know who to watch for in terms of LBs or WRs. If others know more about who to watch for regarding other positions, feel free to add them here.

Here are the results for the weigh in including all the QBs:

http://www.nepatriot...in-results.html

Edited by Bangarang

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the DL and LB's:

North:

99 Michael Buchanan DL 6'5" 240 Illinois 96 Margus Hunt DL 6'7" 280 SMU 57 Datone Jones DL 6'4" 275 UCLA 80 Alex Okafor DL 6'5" 265 Texas 97 Jordan Hill DL 6'1" 292 Penn State 93 Kawann Short DL 6'3" 315 Purdue 66 Brandon Williams DL 6'3" 325 Missouri Southern 92 Sylvester Williams DL 6'3" 320 North Carolina 43 Steve Beauharnais LB 6'2" 230 Rutgers 44 Arthur Brown LB 6'1" 228 Kansas State 20 Khaseem Greene LB 6'1" 230 Rutgers 48 Kevin Reddick LB 6'2" 240 North Carolina 54 John Simon LB 6'2" 263 Ohio State 46 Trevardo Williams LB 6'2" 233 Connecticut

South:

47 Ezekial Ansah DL 6'5" 270 Brigham Young 93 Everett Dawkins DL 6'2" 304 Florida State 89 Lavar Edwards DL 6'5" 258 LSU 97 Malliciah Goodman DL 6'4" 270 Clemson 46 Corey Grissom DL 6'2" 316 South Florida 54 Montori Hughes DL 6'4" 327 Tennessee-Martin 6 John Jenkins DL 6'3" 358 Georgia 83 Cornelius Washington DL 6'4" 268 Georgia 8 Jamie Collins LB 6'1" 228 Southern Miss 25 Zaviar Gooden LB 6'2" 230 Missouri 35 Nico Johnson LB 6'2" 245 Alabama 10 Sean Porter LB 6'2" 230 Texas A&M 44 Chase Thomas LB 6'4" 248 Stanford 1 Vince Williams LB 6'1" 250 Florida State

Cool. a good site with reports in the past has been footballsfuture.com. They also have good stuff come combine time.

My top three QBs are all on the north roster. lots of other good players too.

Anyone know if practices are televised at all?

Good thread...I'm going out on a limb that there will be 2 huge risers coming out of this week:

Ezekial "Ziggy" Ansah - DE/BYU

D.J. Fluker - OT/Arkansas

It's going to be tough to evaluate anything on the QBs since it's all in a practice-style setting, but going into the week, the guy I like most is Wilson. Usually the easiest to evaluate are the OLmen, as they do a lot of 1-on-1 drills and pass-blocking technique work. Also, RBs tend to stick out a bit more than any skill-position players, but I've seen some WRs (i.e. Dwayne Bowe) shoot up draft boards this week as well.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/01/21/arkansas-qb-likes-jim-kelly-comparison/

ESPN Draft Guru Mel Kiper made waves last week, when he compared Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson to Bills Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

“We all remember Jim Kelly when he came out of Miami he was recruited as a linebacker at Penn State,” Kiper said. “(Wilson) is a guy with an NFL arm and tremendous toughness. Under the previous coaching staff and with the talent around him, remember they lost their top three receivers from the prior year you expected this year to be a tough go and then he had an injury early on.”

We had a chance to talk with Wilson today at the Senior Bowl, and asked him about Kiper’s comparison.

“I heard that in the past week,” Wilson said. “Obviously, those are pretty good words. I got to go out and prove it this week and have a good week. That’s exciting though.”

Margus Hunt and Chase Thomas = BEASTS. Kevin Reddick and John jenkins = Fool's Gold

http://blogs.buffalo...lly-comparison/

ESPN Draft Guru Mel Kiper made waves last week, when he compared Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson to Bills Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

“We all remember Jim Kelly when he came out of Miami he was recruited as a linebacker at Penn State,” Kiper said. “(Wilson) is a guy with an NFL arm and tremendous toughness. Under the previous coaching staff and with the talent around him, remember they lost their top three receivers from the prior year you expected this year to be a tough go and then he had an injury early on.”

We had a chance to talk with Wilson today at the Senior Bowl, and asked him about Kiper’s comparison.

“I heard that in the past week,” Wilson said. “Obviously, those are pretty good words. I got to go out and prove it this week and have a good week. That’s exciting though.”

Take him @ #8 and I will be last guy complaining but please let me help Fitz clean out his locker. Can't have one w/o the other. Unless you've got a trading partner at the end of round 1 just take him.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Nassib just had an under thrown deep ball that would have gone for 6.

Receiver beat his man off the line badly and had to stop and wait for the ball allowing the DB to recover and knock it away at the goal line.

Edited by Bangarang

Receiver beat his man off the line badly and had to stop and wait for the ball allowing the DB to recover and knock it away at the goal line.

Git'r'done, Buddy!!!

On the telecast, Mike Mayock just said he's watched Nassib play for years (apparently played ball with his son) and compared Nassib to Andy Dalton. Very good but not great arm, extremely smart and great competitor. Example given was Nassib's game vs. superior competitiion (USC).

Didn't realize Glennon is 6'7". He just threw a bad pick.

Mayock also said he doesn't understand why there's not more buzz around Zack Dysert. LIkes him a lot.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I'm glad to see Tyler Wilson measured well. I heard reports that we was closer to 6'1 instead of 6'3.

Tyler Wilson has very small hands (8 5/8"), compared to EJ Manuel (10 1/8"), Ryan Nassib (10"), Glennon (9 3/8") and Jones (9").

Teams want a guy whose hand measures at least 9 1/2 inches from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger.

As an example, Russell Wilson's hands (10 1/4") give him the ability to really spin the ball, despite his height disadvantage.

Edited by Lurker

Tyler Wilson has very small hands (8 5/8"), compared to EJ Manuel (10 1/8"), Ryan Nassib (10"), Glennon (9 3/8") and Jones (9"). Teams want a guy whose hand measures at least 9 1/2 inches from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger...

Yeah I went back to look at the measurements and he does have tiny hands. Not what you want to see at all but it isn't the end all be all.

I really hope they show more of the QBS because they didn't show a ton today.

Any word on who the Bills sent there. Hopefully not Nix. He thinks QBs are imaginary as...

Nix and Marrone were seen there today. I heard Whaley say that he was going there. I imagine a few of their normal college scouts are there, too, as there are no other games or players to be scouting.

On the telecast, Mike Mayock just said he's watched Nassib play for years (apparently played ball with his son) and compared Nassib to Andy Dalton. Very good but not great arm, extremely smart and great competitor. Example given was Nassib's game vs. superior competitiion (USC).

Didn't realize Glennon is 6'7". He just threw a bad pick.

Mayock also said he doesn't understand why there's not more buzz around Zack Dysert. LIkes him a lot.

I heard that too. Being compared to Andy Dalton is a negative in my book. I know Bills fans are starving for a playoff birth, but I think we all should be starving for a Superbowl win. Andy Dalton will never win the Superbowl given the collection of elite QBs in the NFC for years to come. To me, Dalton will forever and always be an average starting NFL QB.

The first thing I saw when I turned the program on was a seriously under thrown long ball by Nassib...LOL Of course, Mike Mayock clammed up after he was told it was Nassib. Sounds like he has a soft spot for him since he played ball with his kid.

I heard that too. Being compared to Andy Dalton is a negative in my book. I know Bills fans are starving for a playoff birth, but I think we all should be starving for a Superbowl win. Andy Dalton will never win the Superbowl given the collection of elite QBs in the NFC for years to come. To me, Dalton will forever and always be an average starting NFL QB.

The first thing I saw when I turned the program on was a seriously under thrown long ball by Nassib...LOL Of course, Mike Mayock clammed up after he was told it was Nassib. Sounds like he has a soft spot for him since he played ball with his kid.

My problem with Dalton is that I think he has a rag arm. It's decent, but it's not strong or good enough to make up for his other pedestrian qualities (he also has some very good qualities). I don't want Andy Dalton on my team as my franchise QB either, and if Nassib is Andy Dalton II, I don't want him. What I heard Mayock say, however, was the comparison to Dalton and Kirk Cousins, in so far as being a very smart QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Then Mayock added that "he can make all the throws." To me, if Andy Dalton had a little stronger arm, I wouldn't think so meh about him. And if Nassib is Andy Dalton with a stronger arm, I would want him.

I did watch the practice and Nassib did some decent things and a couple bad things. Without seeing all of his throws it is hard to know if he had a good day or lousy day. But he made a few really nice hard long outs, but threw a poor bomb, a poor screen, and got one batted down.

My problem with Dalton is that I think he has a rag arm. It's decent, but it's not strong or good enough to make up for his other pedestrian qualities (he also has some very good qualities). I don't want Andy Dalton on my team as my franchise QB either, and if Nassib is Andy Dalton II, I don't want him. What I heard Mayock say, however, was the comparison to Dalton and Kirk Cousins, in so far as being a very smart QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Then Mayock added that "he can make all the throws." To me, if Andy Dalton had a little stronger arm, I wouldn't think so meh about him. And if Nassib is Andy Dalton with a stronger arm, I would want him.

I did watch the practice and Nassib did some decent things and a couple bad things. Without seeing all of his throws it is hard to know if he had a good day or lousy day. But he made a few really nice hard long outs, but threw a poor bomb, a poor screen, and got one batted down.

I find it very hard to believe that Marrone is looking for Andy Dalton II. I guess I've just written Nassib off based on the videos. That of course could turn around if he has an amazing senior bowl, combine and pro day. I just don't see that happening though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing EJ Manuel. He's the guy I want them to take a flyer on in rd 2 or 3.

Great measureables for EJ Manuel. Nassib also had solid measureables. Dysert and Wilson had small hands....

B.Wreh Wilson (UConn) at CB could be a good fit in the middle rounds. Good size and long arms.

A guy like C.Washington (Georgia) could be a middle to late round pick.

Really want to see Cobi Hamilton (Arkansas) and Aaron Mellette (Elon) at WR.

Manuel has the ideal body for today's NFL QB. Is he any good?

He's consistenly inconsistent. I don't know if that's fixable with time/coaching. When he's on he's amazing though.

I guess that makes him a bit like Cam Newton - who, bizarrely, is one of the least appealing of the new QB's from the last two years, right? Who would you rather have - Newton? Or Luck, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick? I would submit any of the last four seem like better prospects right now.

Anyone know if the stats are out there to correlate hand size with fumbles? Sounds like Wilson has the hand size of a newborn.

Not sure but I saw one that compared hand size to completion % once. Bigger hands ment more completions.

its hard to hold onto those big NFL balls.

PS that Ezekial from BYU is going to be a player. top 10 pick when all said and done I bet.

At Senior Bowl weigh-in circus, all that matters are the numbers:

http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Ie10Zriw

From the players to watch link within that article, Ryan Nassib is #1 for offense

1. Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse (6020, 228 and 5.05): Already rising up draft boards, NFL personnel are excited to see Nassib matched up with the best senior talent in the country. Quick and athletic to avoid pressure, re-set and make accurate throws, Nassib has NFL teams intrigued. After charting out Nassib in five games we consider him to be the best quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft and worth drafting with the first overall pick, so we are excited to see how he does in Mobile. Blessed with a strong arm, the ball bursts out of his hand and he can make 15+ yard throws with zip even when a defender is about to hit him and he cannot stride into his throw. Having played in the Big East where the defenses are not the same caliber as the SEC and some of the other conferences, NFL teams are interested to see how he does against top defenders. The big thing that Nassib must work on is his deep passing as he tends to put too much air under his throws which forces his receivers to slow up and wait for the ball. This allows the defensive back to close and make a play on the ball. He could be the story of Mobile if he has a strong week and begins climbing up into the high first round

That's a little concerning for me. In his Youtube games I've watched, that was the norm on deep balls, not the exception.

He can throw a laser when he wants, but when he puts some air under it on the deep ball, it more often than not comes up short. I'd like to think that's something that's correctable, but I don't know for sure. Seems like the strength is there so it could be a mechanics issue or a timing issue.

What is everyone's opinion on Landry Jones?

Havent heard much talk about him.

CBF

Personally, I think he is the best alternative for the Bills. I agree. I just do not understand why there has not been more discussion about him. He has had by far the most prolific career of the QB's being considered. he is big, has a strong arm, has been a 4 year starter, played in a pro-style offense and played against top-flight competition. I just don't think any of the other QB's compare to him in terms of their college career and experience. I just hope the Bills don't make a huge mistake here a sit will set the franchise back 3 years if they do. I hope thye do their due diligence and choose the best QB, and not the most hyped. Jsut don't understand all this talk about Glennon. He has not played vs. top competition. just doesn't do it for me.

Kevin Weidl from Scouts Inc. has his Senior Bowl Practice Day 1 Recap on ESPN Insider. I'm going to paraphrase here, but here is what he said about Nassib:

He thought Nassib had the best day of any quarterback. He said Nassib was on the mark early on, had good zip and placement on out routes. He said Nassib was confident, had good anticipation, and was competing. In 7 on 7 drills, it says he did a good job looking off the one-high safety. Overall he said no one (among QBs) REALLY stood out, but Nassib had the best day overall.

Here's the link for anyone else with Insider: http://insider.espn....ice-notes-day-1

Edited by Tommy