Senior Bowl Practice & Game Thread

Bangarang

Kevin Weidl from Scouts Inc. has his Senior Bowl Practice Day 1 Recap on ESPN Insider. I'm going to paraphrase here, but here is what he said about Nassib:

He thought Nassib had the best day of any quarterback. He said Nassib was on the mark early on, had good zip and placement on out routes. He said Nassib was confident, had good anticipation, and was competing. In 7 on 7 drills, it says he did a good job looking off the one-high safety. Overall he said no one REALLY stood out, but Nassib had the best day overall.

Here's the link for anyone else with Insider: http://insider.espn....ice-notes-day-1

I read about 5 different reviews of the practice and they pretty much all said the same thing. None of the three looked great, Nassib looked the best of the three. The worrisome part to me (although not at all unexpected) was that Nassib played exactly as his scouting report reads. Smart, quick release, strong arm, a lot of zip on intermediate passes, sometimes tries to force ball into tight windows (I don't personally mind that about him), struggles with accuracy and touch on the long ball. The last one is a big issue. It's something that can be learned, but right now it's a big issue.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Senior Bowl weigh-in circus, all that matters are the numbers:

http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Ie10Zriw

How has Nassib jumped into the national conversation at QB? From the sounds of it, Nassib at 8 won't be considered a "reach" by the pundits--- not that the opinions of pundits means much:

West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith didn't do enough this season to differentiate himself from NC State's Mike Glennon, Oklahoma's Landry Jones or Syracuse's Ryan Nassib. Those three are all here, and they might vault themselves past Smith with a good showing.

How has Nassib jumped into the national conversation at QB? From the sounds of it, Nassib at 8 won't be considered a "reach" by the pundits--- not that the opinions of pundits means much:

West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith didn't do enough this season to differentiate himself from NC State's Mike Glennon, Oklahoma's Landry Jones or Syracuse's Ryan Nassib. Those three are all here, and they might vault themselves past Smith with a good showing.

These media guys are desperate for QBs to talk up and you can tell that they have hurt feelings over Smith not going to the Senior Bowl. Any GM taking Glennon, Jones or Nassib over Geno Smith should have their head examined. Geno Smith has the combination of a real NFL arm and real NFL speed and athletic ability.

While Smith's no where near the grade of an RGIII, he's clearly the best "franchise" QB prospect in this class.

Nassib has a low ceiling and I'd be surprised if any team picks him in the first round. He looks like a 3rd or 4th round QB prospect to me.

Kevin Weidl from Scouts Inc. has his Senior Bowl Practice Day 1 Recap on ESPN Insider. I'm going to paraphrase here, but here is what he said about Nassib:

He thought Nassib had the best day of any quarterback. He said Nassib was on the mark early on, had good zip and placement on out routes. He said Nassib was confident, had good anticipation, and was competing. In 7 on 7 drills, it says he did a good job looking off the one-high safety. Overall he said no one (among QBs) REALLY stood out, but Nassib had the best day overall.

Here's the link for anyone else with Insider: http://insider.espn....ice-notes-day-1

I'm not surprised

Any videos from practice? I'm in Ny visiting my mother for 2 weeks.....and she doesn't have the nfl network. Grrrrrrrr. Anyone watch Manuel? His inconstancy scares me BIGtime, but he has the most tools of any QB in the draft IMO. If we pass on a QB in round 1, I wouldn't mind adding him in round 2. One thing I want to draft, is a QB that can tuck and run for the first is the play breaks down. I think it's beyond important in today's league and a must have going forward. Sure, traditional pocket passers like Brees, Brady and manning rarely run for a first, but I don't see any of these QBs turning into those guys. Quick feet and running for a first on 3rd and long takes the life out of a defense. We see it happen against us every game.

Nassib just had an under thrown deep ball that would have gone for 6.

Receiver beat his man off the line badly and had to stop and wait for the ball allowing the DB to recover and knock it away at the goal line.

Keep an eye on Nassib and underthrowing - or making his WR's turn their bodies to adjust, and pull back, to underthrown - or behind thrown - balls. I saw it a lot when watching his games this year.

Tyler Wilson has very small hands (8 5/8"), compared to EJ Manuel (10 1/8"), Ryan Nassib (10"), Glennon (9 3/8") and Jones (9").

Teams want a guy whose hand measures at least 9 1/2 inches from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger.

As an example, Russell Wilson's hands (10 1/4") give him the ability to really spin the ball, despite his height disadvantage.

Hmm, so i guess my 8" hands rule me out of the NFL draft, huh?!? Russell Wilson and Tyler Wilson both have freakishly sized hands. One for the good one for the bad.

I am watching today Trufant and Poyer look like solid physical DB's. I'm impressed with the WR out of Syracuse,Lemon. Physical, nice size, and good hands. Pretty underwhelmed by the QB play so far. Nassib had an ugly pick on a button hook. Nowhere near his WR. His timing seems to be poor

I am watching today Trufant and Poyer look like solid physical DB's. I'm impressed with the WR out of Syracuse,Lemon. Physical, nice size, and good hands. Pretty underwhelmed by the QB play so far. Nassib had an ugly pick on a button hook. Nowhere near his WR. His timing seems to be poor

His timing with a WR at a post season all star game practice? Or his overall timing as a QB in general?

Any videos from practice? I'm in Ny visiting my mother for 2 weeks.....and she doesn't have the nfl network. Grrrrrrrr. Anyone watch Manuel? His inconstancy scares me BIGtime, but he has the most tools of any QB in the draft IMO. If we pass on a QB in round 1, I wouldn't mind adding him in round 2. One thing I want to draft, is a QB that can tuck and run for the first is the play breaks down. I think it's beyond important in today's league and a must have going forward. Sure, traditional pocket passers like Brees, Brady and manning rarely run for a first, but I don't see any of these QBs turning into those guys. Quick feet and running for a first on 3rd and long takes the life out of a defense. We see it happen against us every game.

Na....nothing good.....NFLN had an hour special..........just showed mayock and crew sitting at podium for 45 mins........with scattered highlights.

nothing worth seeing yet IMO.

Found a very cool in-depth site. This article is about the North QBs monday practice...

http://TheSidelineView.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/senior-bowl-north-quarterbacks-monday

Nice. Thank you

Na....nothing good.....NFLN had an hour special..........just showed mayock and crew sitting at podium for 45 mins........with scattered highlights.

nothing worth seeing yet IMO.

K thanks.

A couple of good d line men. Fischer and Quennsberry(?) seem to be cream of the crop for o line. I wouldn't mind grabbing Fischer in the first.

His timing with a WR at a post season all star game practice? Or his overall timing as a QB in general?

A little but of both. He misfired on a 5 yard route by 10 yards.

These media guys are desperate for QBs to talk up and you can tell that they have hurt feelings over Smith not going to the Senior Bowl. Any GM taking Glennon, Jones or Nassib over Geno Smith should have their head examined. Geno Smith has the combination of a real NFL arm and real NFL speed and athletic ability.

While Smith's no where near the grade of an RGIII, he's clearly the best "franchise" QB prospect in this class.

Nassib has a low ceiling and I'd be surprised if any team picks him in the first round. He looks like a 3rd or 4th round QB prospect to me.

agree 100% on Smith, He's the best in this class but that's Romo good not Rodgers good,- I've watched 4 videos of Nassib USC, Rutgers, Northwestern , and Missouri, I thought he looked horrid playing USC and Rutgers, average against Northwestern and OK vs Missouri .

WR Tavaris King is a Bill. Played 56 games at Georgia and looks like the best WR in the South practice. Good routes. Good hands. Not huge guy though.

Is it even worth looking at the North practices with Magoo at the helm?

Is it noteworthy that the Buffalo Bills official twitter account retweeted this link from Bills employee John Murphy, which is an article on the official Buffalo Bills website quoting Nassib at the Senior Bowl?

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills

RT @johnmurphyshow: Nassib on Buffalo: "A match made in heaven" http://wp.me/plmrg-7jt

Maybe it's just due diligence:

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills

Mike Glennon on Bills, Senior Bowl http://ow.ly/2upH9n

Agreed...I would like to invite the teams that Draft from 1-7 to please consider taking another QB ahead of Geno...Please, please, please...

Thank you... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

WR Tavaris King is a Bill. Played 56 games at Georgia and looks like the best WR in the South practice. Good routes. Good hands. Not huge guy though.

Is it even worth looking at the North practices with Magoo at the helm?

At the risk of challenging you to at least question your never-ending crusade against Buddy Nix, you may want to look before you leap.

North & South are merely the teams...it hasn't much to do with where you went to school, otherwise how would Alex Okafor of Texas and Margus Hunt of Southern Methodist be on the North squad while OL JC Tretter from Cornell is on the South?

Secondly, I know there's this whole "Nix only drafts SEC players" thing going around here, but it's actually not true. Observe:

Spiller - ACC

Troup - Conf. USA

Carrington - Sun Belt

Easley - Big East

Ed Want - ACC

Arthur Moats - Colonial

Danny Batten - Great West

Levi Brown - Sun Belt

Kyle Calloway - Big 10

Marcell Dareus - SEC

Aaron Williams - Big 12

Kelvin Sheppard - SEC

DaNorris Searcy - ACC

Chris Hairson - ACC

Johnny White - ACC

Chris White - SEC

Justin Rodgers - A-10

Stephon Gilmore - SEC

Cordy Glenn - SEC

TJ Graham - ACC

Nigel Bradham - ACC

Ron Brooks - SEC

Zebrie Sanders - ACC

Tank Carder - Big 12

Mark Asper - Pac 12

John Potter - MAC

I actually wish we picked more players from the SEC, as they seem to have the best players in the country in that conference.

Lastly, it's okay to just call him Buddy, you don't have to insult the guy just because you don't think he's done well at his job. Odds are, if you've been in your job long enough, there are people that think you're lousy at it as well. Whether they're right or wrong, it's still not justified for them to call you something they wouldn't say to your face, is it?

Agreed...I would like to invite the teams that Draft from 1-7 to please consider taking another QB ahead of Geno...Please, please, please...

Thank you... B-)

Me too. I like him the best. In another draft class he's hoping to be the 3rd or 4th best QB. In this class, I believe he's the best. I really hope that he falls to us.

At the risk of challenging you to at least question your never-ending crusade against Buddy Nix, you may want to look before you leap.

North & South are merely the teams...it hasn't much to do with where you went to school, otherwise how would Alex Okafor of Texas and Margus Hunt of Southern Methodist be on the North squad while OL JC Tretter from Cornell is on the South?

Secondly, I know there's this whole "Nix only drafts SEC players" thing going around here, but it's actually not true. Observe:

Spiller - ACC

Troup - Conf. USA

Carrington - Sun Belt

Easley - Big East

Ed Want - ACC

Arthur Moats - Colonial

Danny Batten - Great West

Levi Brown - Sun Belt

Kyle Calloway - Big 10

Marcell Dareus - SEC

Aaron Williams - Big 12

Kelvin Sheppard - SEC

DaNorris Searcy - ACC

Chris Hairson - ACC

Johnny White - ACC

Chris White - SEC

Justin Rodgers - A-10

Stephon Gilmore - SEC

Cordy Glenn - SEC

TJ Graham - ACC

Nigel Bradham - ACC

Ron Brooks - SEC

Zebrie Sanders - ACC

Tank Carder - Big 12

Mark Asper - Pac 12

John Potter - MAC

I actually wish we picked more players from the SEC, as they seem to have the best players in the country in that conference.

Lastly, it's okay to just call him Buddy, you don't have to insult the guy just because you don't think he's done well at his job. Odds are, if you've been in your job long enough, there are people that think you're lousy at it as well. Whether they're right or wrong, it's still not justified for them to call you something they wouldn't say to your face, is it?

I never said Charles Nix only drafted from the SEC. God forbid Charles Nix draft someone from the Big 10 or Pac 10. And I have merely been consistent in my criticism of Charles Nix's job of assembling the current Buffalo Bills roster. I do not believe Charles Nix to be a good GM, or, even a scout. You merely have another 3 months for Charles Nix to show us how NOT to build a successful team.

I never said Charles Nix only drafted from the SEC. God forbid Charles Nix draft someone from the Big 10 or Pac 10. And I have merely been consistent in my criticism of Charles Nix's job of assembling the current Buffalo Bills roster. I do not believe Charles Nix to be a good GM, or, even a scout. You merely have another 3 months for Charles Nix to show us how NOT to build a successful team.

When a woman sings in a beautiful voice it is lovely.

If she keeps on singing you begin to get a headache.

If she never shuts up you want to stuff a sock in her throat.

-- Woody Allen

Tyler Wilson has very small hands (8 5/8"), compared to EJ Manuel (10 1/8"), Ryan Nassib (10"), Glennon (9 3/8") and Jones (9").

Teams want a guy whose hand measures at least 9 1/2 inches from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger.

As an example, Russell Wilson's hands (10 1/4") give him the ability to really spin the ball, despite his height disadvantage.

I do think this is an important statistic. It could be the cause of a QB losing the ball when pressured or sacked and his ability to throw on the run. It could also be an underlying factor in a players arm strength or accuracy. Example, Tom Brady got better with coaching but if his underlying problem was lack of hand size maybe that would not have been possible.

When a woman sings in a beautiful voice it is lovely.

If she keeps on singing you begin to get a headache.

If she never shuts up you want to stuff a sock in her throat.

-- Woody Allen

So you're saying I can sing. Thanks!

The thing is: I didn't even come on this thread to talk about Nix. I saw a good WR from Georgia and commented about him. But I keep getting sucked into these discussions about NIX. I resolve to NOT discuss NIx or Brandon anymore. Until May 1 anyways.

Geez, the way Nassib is being talked up, I'm wondering if he's even going to make it to 8.

I also wonder if Geno's absence is going to drop him out of the #1 QB taken.

I think that finding the best guy out of this QB class is like hoping you're lucky and will get that last card you need for a straight in poker. There are about ten QBs in this class who all have faults and all have potential. Just reading the threads here will tell you that no one knows who will be the best one and who will be busts. I've been reading the twitter feeds of the draft media and they all have no idea. From the looks of it, maybe two out of the ten will become good to very good? The rest will become yet another bunch of forgettable QBs on the scrapheap of history.

What the Bills need to do this year is...

1. Attempt to trade back for a 2014 1st round pick (as potential ammo and insurance for a trade up for a real franchise QB in 2014) then pick a QB with their 1st round pick if they want or wait till the 2nd or 3rd round to pick a QB.

2. If they can't trade back, pick the best player at #8. Then pick a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, at least four of these guys will be there at their 2nd round pick. Two QBs will probably be there in the 3rd.

3. Or trade up from that 2nd round pick back into the first for a QB they really like and who they think will be a great one.

Let the other teams be desperate enough to pass on great players and blow their first round picks on a QBs with 2nd and 3rd round grades. This class is ridiculously hard to pick. I have no problem waiting another year for the REAL guy. If they want to take a flyer in the 2nd then that's fine. Potentially blowing that pick won't be close to the pain of what blowing that #8 pick would be.

Edited by 1billsfan

Geez, the way Nassib is being talked up, I'm wondering if he's even going to make it to 8.

I also wonder if Geno's absence is going to drop him out of the #1 QB taken.

The scout on the NFL Network said Geno Smith is the only sure 1st rounder this year, but others might get drafted in the bottom of the round. Didn't sound like there was a lot of hype on Nassib when I was watching.

The thing is: I didn't even come on this thread to talk about Nix. I saw a good WR from Georgia and commented about him. But I keep getting sucked into these discussions about NIX. I resolve to NOT discuss NIx or Brandon anymore. Until May 1 anyways.

Except that it's not what you did.

You may have indeed seen a good WR form Georgia, but instead of commenting about him, you--unprompted--used it as an opportunity to take a shot at Nix, with the very clear implication being that he is a clueless old guy that only drafts players from the South. If that wasn't the implication, then what, pray tell, did you mean by "Is it even worth looking at the North practices with Magoo at the helm?"?

You weren't "sucked into" anything, which is why it's hard to abide the comments.

Check out the interviews with Wilson and Nassib here. I have been an advocate for Wilson all year and I still hope he is the guy, but if it's Nassib I won't be too disappointed. http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills_Focus_Doug_Marrone_1_on_1_Interview/71d35cd3-174d-4b59-9b4a-d162f53b1606

I think that finding the best guy out of this QB class is like hoping you're lucky and will get that last card you need for a straight in poker. There are about ten QBs in this class who all have faults and all have potential. Just reading the threads here will tell you that no one knows who will be the best one and who will be busts. I've been reading the twitter feeds of the draft media and they all have no idea. From the looks of it, maybe two out of the ten will become good to very good? The rest will become yet another bunch of forgettable QBs on the scrapheap of history.

1. Attempt to trade back for a 2014 1st round pick (as potential ammo and insurance for a trade up for a real franchise QB in 2014) then pick a QB with their 1st round pick if they want or wait till the 2nd or 3rd round to pick a QB.

2. If they can't trade back, pick the best player at #8. Then pick a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, at least four of these guys will be there at their 2nd round pick. Two QBs will probably be there in the 3rd.

3. Or trade up from that 2nd round pick back into the first for a QB they really like and who they think will be a great one.

Let the other teams be desperate enough to pass on great players and blow their first round picks on a QBs with 2nd and 3rd round grades. This class is ridiculously hard to pick. I have no problem waiting another year for the REAL guy. If they want to take a flyer in the 2nd then that's fine. Potentially blowing that pick won't be close to the pain of what blowing that #8 pick would be.

Right now, I would agree with your plans. NFL.com mock drafters have few if any QBs in their first round pciks. All of them are second-third round talents. Knowing the Bills, they'll go with one at #8 and he'll be another Fitzpatrick.

Sounds like a plan to me. Trade down. Get a 1st next year. Draft bpa with our 1st pick. QB with our 2nd or 3rd. Maybe that QB can suck and we can get the top QB next year and have an additional pick. This QB class is so "blah". I don't have a good feeling about it.

Right now, I would agree with your plans. NFL.com mock drafters have few if any QBs in their first round pciks. All of them are second-third round talents. Knowing the Bills, they'll go with one at #8 and he'll be another Fitzpatrick.

If they draft any QB not named Geno Smith or Barkley at #8, the Bills FO, head coach and the QB they picked will have a TON of pressure on them. Because everyone will know that they reached for a non-first round graded QB which the fans will be expecting franchise level first round QB play from. That would be a hugely risky move. Just wait to see who's there at the 2nd round pick with an eye on the QBs in the 2014 draft.

Not only would I try to get a 2014 1st round pick by trading back this year, but I'd like to see what 2014 pick Green Bay would give up for Jackson.

If I am the Bills brass I am keeping this pretty simple. If Barkley or Geno Smith are there @ 8 I grab one of them. If both are gone then I go a different direction @ 8 & hope that Jones/Wilson/Nassib are there in the 2nd round. I personally think no matter what anybody says about him on this board that Barkley is the first QB taken in this draft. If that happens maybe Smith falls to us.

If I am the Bills brass I am keeping this pretty simple. If Barkley or Geno Smith are there @ 8 I grab one of them. If both are gone then I go a different direction @ 8 & hope that Jones/Wilson/Nassib are there in the 2nd round. I personally think no matter what anybody says about him on this board that Barkley is the first QB taken in this draft. If that happens maybe Smith falls to us.

Really. I have watched Barkley a ton and I don't want him in the second round. I know he will likely go in the first to someone, and he has some skills, I just think he is a crappy QB WAY too much of the time, and will not be a franchise QB in the NFL. No one in the world KNOWS which of these guys are going to be great, very good, good, pretty good or no good, but what is it about what you have seen of Barkley makes you think he will be a great pro and worthy of the #8 pick?

Really. I have watched Barkley a ton and I don't want him in the second round. I know he will likely go in the first to someone, and he has some skills, I just think he is a crappy QB WAY too much of the time, and will not be a franchise QB in the NFL. No one in the world KNOWS which of these guys are going to be great, very good, good, pretty good or no good, but what is it about what you have seen of Barkley makes you think he will be a great pro and worthy of the #8 pick?

I don't know, I have watched alot of his games & I think he looks pretty good. I mean what more did you want him to do? 4 year starter, threw for 12k yards in his career, 139 td passes against only 46 ints had completion % his last 3 years well over 60%. Was a leader & a true team player. They did not have as good of season as everyone expected this year but that was because their defense stunk. I have watched numerous games of his & he passes the eye test too. To say he will not be a franchise QB & just "has some skills" is being closed minded. I will put his stats & his college career against any QB in this draft & they certainly compare favorably by a huge margin over a guy like Nassib that everybody seems to be drooling over. Does not have a cannon, but his arm is above average & his accuracy & pocket presence is very good. Yes he had top flight talent at the skill positions, but you still need a trigger man to get the ball there & Barkley throughout his career did this for the most part with proficiency. The only thing I have questions about taking Barkley is if he could handle the weather & the culture shock from being @ USC to coming to B-low. He did play really well up in Eugene in 2011 against a top 5 Oregon team & I recall the weather was lousy(40's & a stiff rain). They won that game & to be honest at the end of the 2011 season I thought USC was the one team that could possibly knock off Alabama but they were banned from post season play.

At this time, I do not think that any of the QBs available are worth the 8th pick in the draft. I may change my mind between now and the draft.

Nevertheless, I agree with both of these posts for the most part.

If they draft any QB not named Geno Smith or Barkley at #8, the Bills FO, head coach and the QB they picked will have a TON of pressure on them. Because everyone will know that they reached for a non-first round graded QB which the fans will be expecting franchise level first round QB play from. That would be a hugely risky move. Just wait to see who's there at the 2nd round pick with an eye on the QBs in the 2014 draft.

Not only would I try to get a 2014 1st round pick by trading back this year, but I'd like to see what 2014 pick Green Bay would give up for Jackson.

I don't know, I have watched alot of his games & I think he looks pretty good. I mean what more did you want him to do? 4 year starter, threw for 12k yards in his career, 139 td passes against only 46 ints had completion % his last 3 years well over 60%. Was a leader & a true team player. They did not have as good of season as everyone expected this year but that was because their defense stunk. I have watched numerous games of his & he passes the eye test too. To say he will not be a franchise QB & just "has some skills" is being closed minded. I will put his stats & his college career against any QB in this draft & they certainly compare favorably by a huge margin over a guy like Nassib that everybody seems to be drooling over. Does not have a cannon, but his arm is above average & his accuracy & pocket presence is very good. Yes he had top flight talent at the skill positions, but you still need a trigger man to get the ball there & Barkley throughout his career did this for the most part with proficiency. The only thing I have questions about taking Barkley is if he could handle the weather & the culture shock from being @ USC to coming to B-low. He did play really well up in Eugene in 2011 against a top 5 Oregon team & I recall the weather was lousy(40's & a stiff rain). They won that game & to be honest at the end of the 2011 season I thought USC was the one team that could possibly knock off Alabama but they were banned from post season play.