Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

An entirely sensible position. I expect you to be derided soundly for it here on TBD.

Great post, couldn't be more true. A sensible strategy would be to acquire Alex Smith, draft a QB in the early rounds, and possibly keep Tarvaris Jackson all to COMPETE for the starting job. But many folks here would prefer to think that our noodle armed QB that directed back to back losing campaigns is somehow a "good" starting QB. A.Smith is a late bloomer, but a "good" starting QB in this league today. He's not elite, but has enough physical talent that he was drafted 1st overall.He can make the throws and doesn't turn it over too much. Fitz is a later round pick that looks like it. A mediocre talent at this level. He obviously will not be the next Brady, and it's time to move on. Yet folks here will try to convince themselves that what they see is not really what they see. Fitz just "needs" this or that, Alex Smith is Rob Johnson (RJ had all of one start to his name when the Bills gave up a 1st rd pick for him) and they probably think that the blown tuck rule call against Manning yesterday was correct. Why? Because you can't possibly agree with Dierdorf! (sorry folks, he was right. The ball was coming out of PM's hand as he was attempting to tuck it). These are examples of "sensible" thought on TBD.

I see your point but do you really want another game manger, I frankly don't & next years isn't much better other than Aaron Murray & Johnny Manziel & that means another losing season I rather take a chance on a Rookie Gunslinger like Tyler Wilson than just the same thing we have now

It's NOT the same thing we have now,people! We don't have a "game manager". A game manager is a QB that wins and can win games! Anyone who watches Alex Smith and thinks Fitzpatrick is anywhere near the "same thing" ought to be commited. RF is terrible, do we need to see any more to realize it? I'll take a game manager for a few seasons while we groom a draft choice QB, beacuse we haven't had one yet.

Alex Smith is Ryan Fitzpatrick with a little more accuracy. No thanks.

No, he has a LOT more accuracy. And unfortunately for RF, lack of accuracy is exactly what makes him a bad QB.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What likely makes the most sense is to cut Smith before the $1 million roster bonus is due. By doing that, the 49ers are only on the hook for the $1 million of his $7.75 million base salary that is guaranteed.

Below is a chart of what would be saved vs. dead money for both cutting Smith and trading Smith."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/11/3752556/alex-smith-contract-trade-release-colin-kaepernick

We should be rooting for the 9ers and Kaepernick to do real well in the playoffs. That will make Smith's availability much more likely. If CK chokes, the 9ers may have second thoughts about hitching their wagon to Kaepernick

We should be rooting for the 9ers and Kaepernick to do real well in the playoffs. That will make Smith's availability much more likely. If CK chokes, the 9ers may have second thoughts about hitching their wagon to Kaepernick

Smith will be available. SF is going with Kaep. The problem is they will probably have several suitors and be able to get a decent draft pick for him. And on top of that, he'll likely want $12-15M/year.

"What likely makes the most sense is to cut Smith before the $1 million roster bonus is due. By doing that, the 49ers are only on the hook for the $1 million of his $7.75 million base salary that is guaranteed.

Below is a chart of what would be saved vs. dead money for both cutting Smith and trading Smith."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/11/3752556/alex-smith-contract-trade-release-colin-kaepernick

1) Why would we trade for Smith and his big salary expectations, bring in a rookie to groom, and resign TJax without cutting Fitz? Futhermore, once we cut Fitz, we will have a heavy commitment in salary to QB's; Fitz no longer on the team, TJax sitting on the bench and Smith coming in to sit on the bench in a few years.

2) Unless we are sure Smith would be better then Fitz then we can't be sure of anything. TJax and Thigpen are a free agent and at least one of them is able to keep up with Smith.

3) I cannot imagine any situation where Alex Smith would be happy on a team that is looking to replace him in a few seasons and get the same treatment he has received in San Fran.

Smith will be available. SF is going with Kaep. The problem is they will probably have several suitors and be able to get a decent draft pick for him. And on top of that, he'll likely want $12-15M/year.

Do you not remember how no one chased him in free agency last year?

I am not crazy about Smith. Until Harbaugh took the ball out of his hands and turned him into a game manager instead of a go to qb, he was below average and considered a draft bust. I don't see him fitting Marrone and Hacketts offense. Can't see him running a high tempo offense. That being said the qb prospects this draft are not great so we will see what they do.

Yup, and it could be a good thing if no one does this year. Might get him for a 3rd rounder if that repeats which IMO might be a good pick up. He's hungry. A reasonable upgrade over Fitz....... until a better prospect comes along.

jb

Last year is last year. There were several good QB prospects in the draft and several younger QB's were expected to step-up. Plus Smith might have priced himself too high. A team can trade for him and assume his current contract, which has 2 years left.

1) Why would we trade for Smith and his big salary expectations, bring in a rookie to groom, and resign TJax without cutting Fitz? Futhermore, once we cut Fitz, we will have a heavy commitment in salary to QB's; Fitz no longer on the team, TJax sitting on the bench and Smith coming in to sit on the bench in a few years.

2) Unless we are sure Smith would be better then Fitz then we can't be sure of anything. TJax and Thigpen are a free agent and at least one of them is able to keep up with Smith.

3) I cannot imagine any situation where Alex Smith would be happy on a team that is looking to replace him in a few seasons and get the same treatment he has received in San Fran.

There will be teams pursuing Smith but I don't think any of them will see him as The Franchise; like the Bills, they will be looking for someone to come in and compete and maybe start for a year or two. Smith might not like that, but he'll have to deal with it. I can see the Jets, Chiefs, and maybe Jacksonville going after him, but i doubt he will cost more than a 3d. And yes, I'm sure he's better than Fitz.

I am not saying that they shouldn't draft a QB, just that they need someone (besides that rookie) to start this year and perhaps longer. From everything that I have seen and read, there are no really good "rookie gunslingers" coming out in this draft. It happens - some years there are no good NFL QB prospects in the draft. What we've seen recently with strong QB drafts is the exception rather than the rule.

I understand you being guarded against disappointment, but your sources are not altogether correct. There will be somewhere between 7-10 QB's taken in this draft, and I have no trouble predicting half of the guys end up starting, and 2-3, at least, end up being good starters. It's not that there aren't any good QB's in the draft; rather, there are a lot of QB's with potential - you just don't trust Buffalo's GM/Coaches to identify WHICH QB's are really the starter types.

I think Glennon could be a starter and be good with the right system and a good OL. I think Geno Smith, Barklay, and Wilson will all be pretty good - and maybe better. There are guys like Landry Jones, Nassib, Manuel, Dysert who could end up playing as well or better than Dalton has these past two years. And there's Bray who could be just as good as Tannehill - who any Bills fan would have gladly had as a QB this past year.

Now, I agree that there won't be drafts that often that feature talent like Luck, Griffin III, and Wilson - but I think this draft is as good for QB's as the Newton, Dalton, Kaepernick draft. It just comes down to Buffalo knowing which talent will work for them - and if they could do that, they could wait till the second or third round and still get a QB better than Fitz.

As for Alex Smith - I say get him IF you don't have to pay so much you'll be strapped to him, and only if you intend on going after a franchise QB in later years. If you spend a 1st or high 2nd round pick on a QB you think can be a Franchise QB, you don't go after Smith, but someone much more qualified for second string, and you let the young guy play as soon as possible.

if they can get smith without sacrificing picks then fine otherwise paaaassssss

agreed !

Two points.

Its slightly possible the new staff can make use of Fitz till our Draftee {s} are ready. and since Marrones offense can be simplified that may not take very long.

And isnt Tavaris Jackson an option as game manager ? He knows his role.

I am not much for any investment in getting a stop gap if he is already here.

After watching Kaepernick last night, not sure Alex Smith is worth it. The new trend in the NFL is a strong armed, running option QB.

I'm sure glade we have Aaron Williams instead of that Kaepernick guy.

I would take Alex Trabek(sp?) over Fitzpatrick.

Franchise QB for $1000 Alex.