Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

alex smith is btter than a lot of people on here think---of course harbaughsaw the potential in kaepernik---but alex got them within a hair of the SB last yr.

he is pretty decent. he is not the long term answer--so u dont spend a top pick on him----

Agreed, but it doesn't look like any of the QBs in this draft are the long-term answer either.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alex smith is btter than a lot of people on here think---of course harbaughsaw the potential in kaepernik---but alex got them within a hair of the SB last yr.

he is pretty decent. he is not the long term answer--so u dont spend a top pick on him----

To me the difference between Fitz and Smith is minimal. Its amazing what coaching can do isn't it? Kaep replaces Smith and SF is back where they were last year.

Can we trade for Harbaugh?

Because other people's trash is significantly better than our finest.

That's baloney.

I see the Bills looking for a running style QB. I could see Marrone working out T Jax just to see what he can do.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

To me the difference between Fitz and Smith is minimal. Its amazing what coaching can do isn't it? Kaep replaces Smith and SF is back where they were last year.

Can we trade for Harbaugh?

I think that's a ridiculous thing to say. Smith has a much better skill-set, and I don't know if anyone could've coached up Fitz's game much better than Gailey. I actually thought that was one of Gailey's strengths -- getting what he did out of a total project like Fitzpatrick. If Fitz were starting in San Fran last year and this year, that team wouldn't be in the playoffs.

I was aware that Fitz is " limited " Thanks KOK : )

And TJ is no longer under contract. But let the coaching staff have a looksee before we give up a draft pick for Smith.

after all this conjecture about Alex i would hazard a guess that the New Bills staff doesn't give a hoot about him.

Sorry BB

Edited by 3rdand12

Good point. A little more arm strength wouldn't hurt either.

That's true. I had hoped his footwork was holding him back in regards to both arm strength and accuracy, but it is either too late or David Lee couldn't get it done in a single season (he had suggested it take approximately 6 weeks, IIRC). That ship has sailed.

Edited by Punch

It cracks me up when folk fantasize about the Bills aquiring a player via trade. That happened twice in the last 15 years. Both time the Bills got burned. They gave up 1st rd. picks for R. Johnson & Bledsoe. How'd that work out? Anyone that believes the current regime would give up draft picks for any player is delusional... have lost touch with reality. The Bills may trade their own to some other team, but not for another player... only for draft picks.

How'd that work out?

I see this question asked whenever apples are compared to other kinds of apples on this board as a way of dismissing the idea. What would John Butler in 1998 and Tom Donahoe in 2002 have anything to do with Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley in 2013? If anything, there's reason to believe the front office may be much more aggressive than before and even recent past offseason activity will not be a good indicator of what to expect.

I see this question asked whenever apples are compared to other kinds of apples on this board as a way of dismissing the idea. What would John Butler in 1998 and Tom Donahoe in 2002 have anything to do with Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley in 2013? If anything, there's reason to believe the front office may be much more aggressive than before and even recent past offseason activity will not be a good indicator of what to expect.

Dude... REALITY. Mark it down... Bills aint bringing in a player via trade.

Dude... REALITY. Mark it down... Bills aint bringing in a player via trade.

They "probably won't" but only because it is an exceedingly rare occurrence in the NFL, not because long dismissed GMs did so 11-15 years ago and it didn't go as planned, "Dude".

Alex Smith is Ryan Fitzpatrick with a little more accuracy. No thanks.

Actually, ryan fitzpatrick with a bit more accuracy and a stronger arm (which smith has) souds pretty damn good to me. It was never fitz's guts or ability to read a defense, it was just his lack of accuracy: throwing above, behind or not far enough for his receivers. I'm not supportig fitz, but if ur gonna bash him, bash him for what he deserves to be bashed for.

You'd have to think other teams with a crappy QB i.e. Cleveland, Jacksonville etc would be in the running to trade for him. Therefore I think that raises his stock a bit, not to mention he has a great QB rating. I don't think it will be as easy to trade for him as people think.

By my count, 3 of the 4 QBs left in the playoffs are classic pocket passers. Just because a "trend" is happening, doesn't mean you need to follow.

That's been the Bills motto for nearly 20 years.

0:)

Edited by Punch

By my count, 3 of the 4 QBs left in the playoffs are classic pocket passers. Just because a "trend" is happening, doesn't mean you need to follow.

Kaepernick looked pretty awesome last night, better than what Alex Smith would have done. Kaepernick, Wilson or RGIII in a Bills uniform would look pretty good to me.