Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have to think other teams with a crappy QB i.e. Cleveland, Jacksonville etc would be in the running to trade for him. Therefore I think that raises his stock a bit, not to mention he has a great QB rating. I don't think it will be as easy to trade for him as people think.

Why weren't those teams last year? He's a stop gap not a guy you get in a bidding war for.

We need to find the next r wilson

Yes and I think his name is Terry Pegula! :w00t:

Oh, you meant that r wilson.

Alex Smith = Rob Johnson

I didn't know Rob won that many games.

I guess we can always try to grab Cassel after KC cuts him and signs Smith though.

Edited by beerme1

Fitz is inaccurate because he lacks arm strength and needs to get all of his weight behind his passes. There's nothing that can be done about that.

Almost. Fitz is inaccurate because in trying to get weight behind his passes it alters the support that his neck is providing to stabilize his head, resulting in an exaggerated centripetal acceleration that David Lee was unable to correct for in Fitz's throwing motion. Damn behemoth noggin!

Almost. Fitz is inaccurate because in trying to get weight behind his passes it alters the support that his neck is providing to stabilize his head, resulting in an exaggerated centripetal acceleration that David Lee was unable to correct for in Fitz's throwing motion. Damn behemoth noggin!

It's probably the beard dude.

Oh, no doubt one of those guys on the Bills would be exhilarating. But I'm just saying, the goal is to win Super Bowls, and despite the new trend, a fleet-footed QB hasn't been in a Super Bowl lately

In fact, of the 4 teams left in, only one has a fleet-footed QB. The other 3 have classic drop back passers. Just because a few teams have had marginal success with it, doesn't mean we have to do it too.

As far as Alex goes, I'd wait to see if he's cut and then try to sign him. If we need to trade, no more than a 3rd. Otherwise we should go after Matt Moore. Of course draft someone too to backup and learn for a while. At least half a season.

That's baloney.

I see the Bills looking for a running style QB. I could see Marrone working out T Jax just to see what he can do.

PTR

Maybe but Fitz has run for nearly double the yards T Jax has. Not exactly RGIII.

Oh, no doubt one of those guys on the Bills would be exhilarating. But I'm just saying, the goal is to win Super Bowls, and despite the new trend, a fleet-footed QB hasn't been in a Super Bowl lately

OMG, let's give the QB's a chance, they are rookies! 3 of 4 option offenses have made the playoffs with rookies!!

Bottomline is here is hoping our coaches match the scheme to the talent available.

Tebow !!!

But you also need some passing skills, Lol.

Edited by Hsp08

NY media floating idea of Smith to jets. But they acknowledge its a problem with their cap

49ers QB Smith could be option to replace Mark Sanchez on Jets

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 5:31 AM, January 14, 2013

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/sports/jets/opportunity_to_lead_gang_Z2tUSO15OX3seKVfcGrpqO

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

And last year nobody really saw Wilson as being the real deal either.

Yup. I love all the "experts" talking like this is the worst draft ever for QBs. If people knew what the hell they were actually talking about, guys like Wilson, Kaep, Dalton would be 1st rounders and guys like Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, etc. would be drafted in the 2nd or later.

And a comparison of careers:

Smith: 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 6.56 ypa, 81 tds, 63 ints, 45 fumbles, 79.1 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8416/alex-smith

Fitz: 59.5 completion %, 14,336 yards, 6.37 ypa, 92 tds, 81 ints, 39 fumbles, 76.8 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

So we can give up a draft pick and spend starting QB money on Fitz Jr? I mean the way he "carried" the 49ers last year with his 17 tds while overcoming their awful #1 defense was so impressive. You guys are like married guys who lust after every average looking girl you see. Draft a guy, keep Fitz as a backup (we would all love Fitz as a backup/ mentor), and play the rookie no matter what. Bringing in Smith does nothing.

Yup. I love all the "experts" talking like this is the worst draft ever for QBs. If people knew what the hell they were actually talking about, guys like Wilson, Kaep, Dalton would be 1st rounders and guys like Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, etc. would be drafted in the 2nd or later.

And a comparison of careers:

Smith: 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 6.56 ypa, 81 tds, 63 ints, 45 fumbles, 79.1 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8416/alex-smith

Fitz: 59.5 completion %, 14,336 yards, 6.37 ypa, 92 tds, 81 ints, 39 fumbles, 76.8 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

So we can give up a draft pick and spend starting QB money on Fitz Jr? I mean the way he "carried" the 49ers last year with his 17 tds while overcoming their awful #1 defense was so impressive. You guys are like married guys who lust after every average looking girl you see. Draft a guy, keep Fitz as a backup (we would all love Fitz as a backup/ mentor), and play the rookie no matter what. Bringing in Smith does nothing.

But smith showed improvement throughout his career while fitz regressed. When smith was benched this year he had a whopping 104.1 QBR, 13/5 TD/INT ratio.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

But smith showed improvement throughout his career while fitz regressed. When smith was benched this year he had a whopping 104.1 QBR, 13/5 TD/INT ratio.

did he or was it just Harbaugh? Smith thr

Did he or was it Harbaugh? Smith threw 17 tds in 16 games and played with the #1 defense. Harbaugh doesn't put his QBs in bad situations. He runs the ball a lot on 3rd and longs. His whole coaching career, his QBs put up great numbers. At the University of San Diego, Josh Johnson threw 37 tds and 1 int under Harbaugh. If Smith was on the Bilsl the last 2 years, we'd be running him out of town. My point is why waste a draft pick, money, and time on a guy that isn't the answer anyways?

Alex Smith = Rob Johnson

I don't think so. Alex Smith is something like 20-4 in his last 24 starts. The last game he played for the 49ers before he got hurt/benched he was something like 19-20 for 200 + yards & 2 tds. Doesn't sound much like Rob Johnson to me.

It sounds like you didn't actually watch the NFC Championship Game last year, eh? Alex Smith had a great game. The 49ers would have won if their punt returner didn't fumble twice in Giants' FG range--- once which allowed for the tying points in the 4th quarter and the 2nd time in OT which allowed the GW FG.

I'm not a strong advocate for A. Smith, but please get the facts correct.

Throw in the fact that the 49ers knew what they had in kaepernick that they went out and re-signed Smith, gave him the starting job out of training camp, and continued with Smith to lead the NFC West until Smith wasknocked out of a game with a concussion and kaepernick was forced to start and they liked what they saw in him that they decided to let him continue to start