Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed !

Two points.

Its slightly possible the new staff can make use of Fitz till our Draftee {s} are ready. and since Marrones offense can be simplified that may not take very long.

And isnt Tavaris Jackson an option as game manager ? He knows his role.

I am not much for any investment in getting a stop gap if he is already here.

Jackson is a UFA...And Fitz sucks...So...There you go... ;)

Guest BlackBenny

No to Alex Smith, he's as bad as Fitztrajic and we have FItztragic without giving anything up. The 49ers would have made it to the superbowl last year if they had a quarterback. They lost to the Giants because Alex Smith is a way below average quarterback. If they had even an average quarterback they would have beaten the Giants. Frisco realized what their weakness was. Why do you think they benched this bum and switched to a new quarterback?

Kaepernick has made the 49ers a true contender that has a shot to go all the way. Why would you want someone else's garbage? If Smith stunk it up in Frisco, he will do even worse in Buffalo. Frisco has one of the best defenses in the league and they and covered up all of Smith's turnovers. Buffalo's defense is the WORST in the league, they couldn't cover up for any of his mistakes. Buffalo would get blown out in every game.

I agree Buffalo needs a quarterback badly, but you want to get a better one, not a worse one.

The 49ers would have made it to the superbowl last year if they had a quarterback. They lost to the Giants because Alex Smith is a way below average quarterback. If they had even an average quarterback they would have beaten the Giants. Frisco realized what their weakness was.

It sounds like you didn't actually watch the NFC Championship Game last year, eh? Alex Smith had a great game. The 49ers would have won if their punt returner didn't fumble twice in Giants' FG range--- once which allowed for the tying points in the 4th quarter and the 2nd time in OT which allowed the GW FG.

I'm not a strong advocate for A. Smith, but please get the facts correct.

It sounds like you didn't actually watch the NFC Championship Game last year, eh? Alex Smith had a great game. The 49ers would have won if their punt returner didn't fumble twice in Giants' FG range--- once which allowed for the tying points in the 4th quarter and the 2nd time in OT which allowed the GW FG.

I'm not a strong advocate for A. Smith, but please get the facts correct.

School is in session! Lol

The question is " Why would you want to get him " he is a below average QB with a no upside, I rather Draft a Rookie & have him start

In this league he is not below average.

I'd rather have Matt Moore:

https://www.profootb...-sticking-with/

Yikes

Alex Smith = Rob Johnson

Yeah, just like RJ (....oh wait, you were serious?)

The problem, at least as I see it, is that there are only very shaky QBs in this draft with each being a long-shot to develop into a good starting QB. I'd rather have Alex Smith for a few years, take a flyer on a rookie to see if we get lucky and (assuming we don't) then go all-in next year to get a better rookie prospect. Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady, but he could be a winner with a great D and running game - exactly what the Bills are trying to build (and they have a lot of the parts).

I agree that Smith is better than who we might get in the draft this year. The problem is that our D sucks and it won't get significantly better with Pettine here. There isn't a high level of talent there, despite the claims of some here.

smith is a qb who had different OCs his first few years in the league. he started to settle down once he had the same oc for 2 years in a row. he really only lost the job because he can't run. his arm is pretty good. he will probably be starting somewhere next year. do i think the bills need him? i don't know, i am not 100% sold on him. but i wouldn't be against it. i'd prefer a rookie qb.

After watching Kaepernick last night, not sure Alex Smith is worth it. The new trend in the NFL is a strong armed, running option QB.

until you are a beat up shell of yourself and have a career as short as running backs. Running QBs will get figured out like everything else and then we be back to drop back passers

Alex Smith is Ryan Fitzpatrick with a little more accuracy. No thanks.

whats wrong with that?

If Fitz was very accurate we wouldn't have to worry about a new QB. His accuracy is the cause of many of his ints along with incomplete passes.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I understand you being guarded against disappointment, but your sources are not altogether correct. There will be somewhere between 7-10 QB's taken in this draft, and I have no trouble predicting half of the guys end up starting, and 2-3, at least, end up being good starters. It's not that there aren't any good QB's in the draft; rather, there are a lot of QB's with potential - you just don't trust Buffalo's GM/Coaches to identify WHICH QB's are really the starter types.

I think Glennon could be a starter and be good with the right system and a good OL. I think Geno Smith, Barklay, and Wilson will all be pretty good - and maybe better. There are guys like Landry Jones, Nassib, Manuel, Dysert who could end up playing as well or better than Dalton has these past two years. And there's Bray who could be just as good as Tannehill - who any Bills fan would have gladly had as a QB this past year.

Now, I agree that there won't be drafts that often that feature talent like Luck, Griffin III, and Wilson - but I think this draft is as good for QB's as the Newton, Dalton, Kaepernick draft. It just comes down to Buffalo knowing which talent will work for them - and if they could do that, they could wait till the second or third round and still get a QB better than Fitz.

As for Alex Smith - I say get him IF you don't have to pay so much you'll be strapped to him, and only if you intend on going after a franchise QB in later years. If you spend a 1st or high 2nd round pick on a QB you think can be a Franchise QB, you don't go after Smith, but someone much more qualified for second string, and you let the young guy play as soon as possible.

You may be right to say that there will be good starting QBs to come out of the draft, but it might really be as bad a year as the "experts" feel. 2-3 good starting QBs coming out in a single draft is really a very good year. There are plenty of years where no good starting QBs emerge from an entire draft. For instance, look at the 8 year period from 1990-1997. Here are the starting QBs that came out in those 8 years:

Excellent Starters:

Brett Favre

Drew Bledsoe

Steve McNair

Mark Brunell

OK Starters:

Neil O'Donnell

Trent Dilfer

Gus Frerotte

Kerry Collins

Jake Plummer

In that same 8 years, here are all the QBs drafted in rounds 1 and 2:

Rnd 1

Jim Druckenmiller

Steve McNair

Kerry Collins

Heath Shuler

Trent Dilfer

Drew Bledsoe

Rick Mirer

David Klingler

Tommy Maddox

Dan McGuire

Todd Marinovich

Jeff George

Andre Ware

Rnd 2

Jake Plummer

Tony Banks

Todd Collins

Kordell Stewart

Matt Blundin

Tony Sacca

Brett Favre

Browning Nagle

So, only 4 very good starting QBs came out of 8 consecutive drafts. 5 more "OK" guys whom might compare reasonably with Alex Smith also came out during that time - but those guys fall into the "they're OK, but their team was always looking to replace them category". Beyond those, there were a host of guys taken in the first 2 rounds that didn't pan out at all. They were drafted high because teams desperately needed QBs.

In 1999, the following QBs were taken in the first round: Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper and Cade McNown. Shaun King was the only 2nd rounder. 1 of those 6 turned out to be pretty good.

There are dry-spells and there are drafts where multiple good QBs come out. I think that you have to trust your evaluation of the players coming out and balance that with taking a "shot" on a QB reasonably often.

Here is a link to NFL.com where there is a list of QBs drafted by year and round. I think looking at it, most will conclude that there are very few good starting NFL QBs in most drafts and it is very difficult to find them.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Is Ryan Lindley going to be available?

Skelton should be though :P

The problem is that our D sucks and it won't get significantly better with Pettine here. There isn't a high level of talent there, despite the claims of some here.

I believe Pettine will make HUGE difference. look at the rare occasions we did blitz and seeing guys like Sheppard get sacks. I really feel we will be the new San Fran as they were ok until they got Harbaugh and they they took off with a blitzing defense.

Skelton should be though :P

I believe Pettine will make HUGE difference. look at the rare occasions we did blitz and seeing guys like Sheppard get sacks. I really feel we will be the new San Fran as they were ok until they got Harbaugh and they they took off with a blitzing defense.

I agree. I think the Bills have a very good level of DL talent and in the secondary (assuming they can keep Jairus Byrd). They need LB help and coaching help. They underachieved very considerably last year. I do think that the vanilla scheme that was run hurt them badly. As Pettine said, you have to disguise what you are doing. Offenses do it all the time, why wouldn't a defense do it? Most of the good defenses do a good job of confusing the offense.

I agree that Smith is better than who we might get in the draft this year. The problem is that our D sucks and it won't get significantly better with Pettine here. There isn't a high level of talent there, despite the claims of some here.

I think there are several pieces in place that could gel into a solid unit if they can add one or two good LBs, and some decent coaching.

it's amazing how Bills fans view opposing players with rose-colored glasses and view our own players as garbage.

"Alex Smith is more accurate than Fitz"; "Alex Smith is much better than what we have"; "I'd rather have Alex Trebek than Fitz" lol (my personal favorite)

1. Alex Smith has a career completion percentage of 59.3. Fitz has a career completion percentage of 59.5 (and Fitz has more attempts, so it's not a fluke)..not that either are great, lol.

2. Alex Smith's best year was 2011: 273/445; 61.3comp%; 3,144yds; 17 td; 5int; QBR: 45.8

Fitz's year this year: 306/505; 60.6comp%; 3,400yds; 24td; 16int; QBR: 45.5

3. Alex Smith has yet to even throw for 20 TD's in a single season in his CAREER.

4. Alex Smith has/had a top 5 defense, an ELITE TE, an ELITE RB, an ELITE OL, and better WR than us...and a genius coach who puts him in a position to win.

Boy, that Alex Smith sure is a huge upgrade over Fitz. :thumbdown:

Lets draft a QB and groom him to lead us for the next decade.

Edited by bobobonators

it's amazing how Bills fans view opposing players with rose-colored glasses and view our own players as garbage.

Boy, that Alex Smith sure is a huge upgrade over Fitz. :thumbdown:

Lets draft a QB and groom him to lead us for the next decade.

Smith is not a huge upgrade (he wouldnt be available if he was) but his recent record shows that he has improved:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/154432-mike-freeman-of-cbs-almost-guaranteeing-alex-smith-landing-in-buffalo/page__st__200

The problem with putting all our eggs in the rookie basket is that this is a very risky strategy. For a beleagured franchise such as the Bills, we need success, quickly. Even a Sanchez-type pick could blow up in the face of this coaching staff and we cannot afford more years of futility.

Smith is a safe upgrade over Fitz for sure. It will put a firm floor on the QB performance, a floor which is a few levels above what Fitz provides us. The ceiling will be defined by who we draft in this or next year's draft.

Smith is not a huge upgrade (he wouldnt be available if he was) but his recent record shows that he has improved:

http://forums.twobil...o/page__st__200

The problem with putting all our eggs in the rookie basket is that this is a very risky strategy. For a beleagured franchise such as the Bills, we need success, quickly. Even a Sanchez-type pick could blow up in the face of this coaching staff and we cannot afford more years of futility.

Smith is a safe upgrade over Fitz for sure. It will put a firm floor on the QB performance, a floor which is a few levels above what Fitz provides us. The ceiling will be defined by who we draft in this or next year's draft.

Smith is an upgrade over Fitz if we can bring Harbaugh with him as well, b/c Smith pre Harbaugh is not better than any QB in this league. And in addition to Harbaugh, maybe we can bring some other players along with Smith, like vernon davis, crabtree, the entire O-line and willis.

alex smith is btter than a lot of people on here think---of course harbaughsaw the potential in kaepernik---but alex got them within a hair of the SB last yr.

he is pretty decent. he is not the long term answer--so u dont spend a top pick on him----