Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

A few days after Jim Harbaugh said that Alex Smith's wishes "would absolutely" be taken into consideration regarding his future, the rumors here in the Bay Area are that Smith wants to be a starter and that the Niners will try to trade him before cutting him.

More here:

http://profootballta...ade-alex-smith/

Keep this in mind.

Always thought this will define where he ends up. If we go for Smith we draft a project. If we dont we swing for the fences early in the draft. at 8 maybe even.

Not sure how Fitz is let go when Smith comes on though. it' s all about money at that point

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stupidest post ever is when people call Alex Smith equal to Ryan Fitzpatrick... Does anyone watch football anymore or just randomly speaking with out thinking the new opinion? I understand that Bills fans want fresh blood ok cool say that. But don't compare Alex Smith to that other QB thats ridiculous.

The 49ers would be in the Superbowl with Alex Smith and you guys know it (they were a fumble away last year). Ask yourself if Fitzgarbage was with the 49ers would they be in the Super Bowl... Answer is a HELL NO!

With that said there is no comparison...

Reading through this thread before my last post, I re-state that Alex Smith is getting short shrift here. Having watched his career here in the Bay Area pretty closely, I think (like Tcali and a few other Bay Area posters) that Smith is better than most of the people here are saying.

It seems like the naysayers simply went running to his career stats to construct an argument that he's the same player as Fitz.

IMO Alex Smith is MUCH better than Fitz.

Digest all the stats you want, unless you've watched him play a lot you'd be wrong saying he's inaccurate or has a weak arm.

Smith is actually a strong and accurate thrower IMO.

Keep this in mind.

Always thought this will define where he ends up. If we go for Smith we draft a project. If we dont we swing for the fences early in the draft. at 8 maybe even.

Not sure how Fitz is let go when Smith comes on though. it' s all about money at that point

Not really. If we acquire Alex Smith, it takes the presure off the front office to draft a QB in the 2013 draft- high pick or project. It allows them to draft BPA (hopefully at positions of need)

We need to root for Kaepernick today

Here's a couple of things I hadn't really thought about that make me far more interested in getting Alex Smith.

1) He lost his job because he admitted to his coaches that he had a concussion and should not be playing. A few people, maybe even some NFL players, would look at this as a sign of weakness, but I see it as a very smart man treating his body and his brain with respect, and doing so even when it could have cost him his job. I want that kind of awareness in a football player. It's selfless to avoid the lie when you are not going to be in a good enough position to lead your team, physically.

2) the myriad reports that he is helping Kaepernick and prepping as the starter really do warm me up to A. Smith. He has said he is just being the kind of teammate that he hopes that others would be to him.

I am more sold on the idea of Alex Smith than ever and if Marrone and Hackett could really tailor a system to him, this team is free to pick the QB it thinks has the most potential, even if he needs to sit and learn for awhile. Smith, meanwhile, could be the next Drew Brees - a guy who finally came into his own, lost his job to the new regime's heir apparent, and goes on to even greater success. I would trade a draft pick for him based on these character traits and the success he has had with Harbaugh.

Digest all the stats you want, unless you've watched him play a lot you'd be wrong saying he's inaccurate or has a weak arm.

I definitely agree with this. I think Smith was just starting to come into his own when he was replaced. I have always thought he had a strong arm and good accuracy.

I'd take him for a 3, and maybe even a 2, but I suspect the 49ers may want a 1 for him.....

They can ask all they want but no way anyone surrenders a 1 for him. More likely, they ask for a 2 and settle for a 3 with a possible late rounder thrown in depending on the number of suitors for him.

Reading through this thread before my last post, I re-state that Alex Smith is getting short shrift here. Having watched his career here in the Bay Area pretty closely, I think (like Tcali and a few other Bay Area posters) that Smith is better than most of the people here are saying.

It seems like the naysayers simply went running to his career stats to construct an argument that he's the same player as Fitz.

and if anyone ever paid their dues its alex smith. he went thru several yrs of torture,humiliation and ridicule.

smith has a good solid arm--has a good spiral and good accuracy...not great for a 60 yarder--but the ball gets there solidly.

I think he's my first choice at this point(along with drafting someone).

One thing that has me worried is the Jets going after him. The 49ers might look into Revis for Smith plus picks.

That's crazy and it just might work. I sure hope not. I think the Niners are gonna have a lot of decisions to make on players so they may not be able to afford Revis with an extension, but who knows.

The stupidest post ever is when people call Alex Smith equal to Ryan Fitzpatrick... Does anyone watch football anymore or just randomly speaking with out thinking the new opinion? I understand that Bills fans want fresh blood ok cool say that. But don't compare Alex Smith to that other QB thats ridiculous.

The 49ers would be in the Superbowl with Alex Smith and you guys know it (they were a fumble away last year). Ask yourself if Fitzgarbage was with the 49ers would they be in the Super Bowl... Answer is a HELL NO!

With that said there is no comparison...

As Phil Simms said in the 4th Quarter - You need a strong Armed QB to make the plays these guys were making.