Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

I heard a rumor you are throwing a giant beer party for TBD if he isn't. :beer:

Seriously, please explain:

1) who you think would be the 49ers backup QB if they cut Smith this spring?

2) what you think they gain by releasing him before March 12th?

Use small words and speak slowly, cuz I doan gettit.

I'm not saying Smith will be on the 49ers roster next fall - he's getting paid a fairly hefty salary for a backup.

But a healthy QB proven capable of starting in the NFL and taking a team to the playoffs - a lot of teams need that.

If they think they can sign or draft a capable backup, why wouldn't they trade him? It's business.

Smith is due a $1M roster bonus on March 12th. He already has $1M of his 2013 salary guaranteed. So if he's on the roster after March 12th, the 49'ers owe him $2M. The next date is April 1st, when the remainder of Smith's $7.5M 2013 salary (i.e. $6.5 since $1M was already guaranteed) becomes guaranteed. Smith has been the good soldier so far, but he won't stay around to be a backup, teams know this, and will wait for him to be released. The 49'ers know this and won't keep him after March 12th, essentially wasting $1M.

Considering Smith is the best QB option available either in the draft or FA, I just might do a dance if the Bills sign him to a non-ridiculous deal.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith is due a $1M roster bonus on March 12th. He already has $1M of his 2013 salary guaranteed. So if he's on the roster after March 12th, the 49'ers owe him $2M. The next date is April 1st, when the remainder of Smith's $7.5M 2013 salary (i.e. $6.5 since $1M was already guaranteed) becomes guaranteed. Smith has been the good soldier so far, but he won't stay around to be a backup, teams know this, and will wait for him to be released. The 49'ers know this and won't keep him after March 12th, essentially wasting $1M.

Considering Smith is the best QB option available either in the draft or FA, I just might do a dance if the Bills sign him to a non-ridiculous deal.

Does anyone actually have the accurate cap impact on the Bills if they were to cut Fitz? I find it hard to believe they will offer Smith starer $ with Fitz still on the books/roster. I've seen different reports that seem to contradict each other.

Does anyone actually have the accurate cap impact on the Bills if they were to cut Fitz? I find it hard to believe they will offer Smith starer $ with Fitz still on the books/roster. I've seen different reports that seem to contradict each other.

The cap hit will be similar whether they keep or cut Fitz. The main difference is they won't be paying him the $7.25M he's scheduled to make this year.

Saw a headline (can't access) on ESPN INSIDER, suggesting that the Jets would/might (according to who?) be interested in Smith, and might be willing to trade Reevis for him.

Not sure what to make of Smith. Is he the next Steve Bono?

Edited by Buftex

Revis for Alex Smith? Take it and run SF!

Seems like the Jets are being linked to every QB with NFL experience, who is under 40 right now. How long before they are rumored to be luring Brett Favre out of retirement?

Edited by Buftex

I'll say no thanks to a player who chooses upstage his team during Super Bowl week to request his release. Shows all you need to know about his character.

Show me where he did this? I see reports that say he "may" request his release in a month or two , but I don't see him telling reporters this.

Revis for Alex Smith? Take it and run SF!

Seems like a phenomenal trade for both sides. The Jets immediately get a passable QB and can afford to release Sanchez and Tebow to soften the cap hit while avoiding the inevitable Revis holdout and deal reshuffling.

SF gets to end the QB controversy and acquires a star player for their DB corps.

And if I were Alex Smith, I would request to be released as well.

One thing about getting Alex Smith would be that the Bills would immediately have the 6th best QB in the AFC and the 4th best once Brady and Manning retire. I got it...Brady, Manning, Flacco, Rothlesburger, Luck, Smith.

I think Smith is better than both Schaub and Rivers at this point their careers. I wasn't big on the idea at first, but Smith must have an awfully big chip on his shoulder and it kind of reminds me a little bit like the Rivers/Brees situation. Of course he's not as good as Brees, but he may be a guy who's really figured out the NFL and who's ready for a long run of very good QB play for which ever team gets him.

If the Bills add the right players the next couple of years, I could actually envision a Bills vs 49ers Superbowl in two years with one of the greatest story lines in the game's history.

Here's a fun fact, Smith is younger than Weedon...LOL

Edited by 1billsfan

I cant say i would be ecstatic, but after looking at his PFF throw charts, he probably had a top 5 deep passing QB rating in the NFL last year...

Maybe i will put together a chart of the best deep ball passers last year when i get home...

One thing about getting Alex Smith would be that the Bills would immediately have the 6th best QB in the AFC and the 4th best once Brady and Manning retire. I got it...Brady, Manning, Flacco, Rothlesburger, Luck, Smith.

I think Smith is better than both Schaub and Rivers at this point their careers. I wasn't big on the idea at first, but Smith must have an awfully big chip on his shoulder and it kind of reminds me a little bit like the Rivers/Brees situation. Of course he's not as good as Brees, but he may be a guy who's really figured out the NFL and who's ready for a long run of very good QB play for which ever team gets him.

If the Bills add the right players the next couple of years, I could actually envision a Bills vs 49ers Superbowl in two years with one of the greatest story lines in the game's history.

Here's a fun fact, Smith is younger than Weedon...LOL

That is pretty much how I feel. That part about weedon is a pretty funny. Right now, Smith seems to be the best option at QB, though getting him will be quite difficult. Smith might be a product of good coaching, but I can't imagine him regressing so bad here that he is worse than fitz. I would expect him to be at least average here, which would be a huge improvement. And we can still draft a young guy.

Im very curious as to who is going to be our next QB, because I am very sure that he isn't on our roster, and I am scared that it might be something bad, just because there aren't a lot of options out there right now.

Maybe i will put together a chart of the best deep ball passers last year when i get home...

But, it's this year.

So that's what you got out of it? That he's trying to upstage his team? sheesh :lol:

Yeah, a pretty kookie post.

Alex Smith is roundly considered an ultimate team guy.

One can be honest answering questions (as he was) without upstaging his team.

On a different discussion, like most of the other Bay Area people who've weighed in on this topic, I believe that Alex Smith is a better player than most people here are giving him credit for.

you can't compare career ratings because once Harbaugh got there Smith transformed; lets look at last years stats

No offense, but if we're going to cherry pick rather than look at career ratings, how about if we look at the first half of 2011 for Fitz?

Smith's 1st year under Harbaugh was only slightly better than his career stats, on a very run-heavy team. I'm not trying to nit-pick you, just to make the point that it's hard to tell from a great half-year, whether Smith "transformed" to a better QB, or whether he was having an anomalously good year and would "regress to the mean" as Fitz appears to have done in 2012 after a "hot start" in 2011.

Point is, he didn't transform "once Harbaugh got there", after a mediocre year he had a great start to this season. One would need more information/data to tell if that's a transformation, or simply a hot streak.

I think it's very likely the '9ers won't start the 2013 season with Smith on the roster. I think it's very very unlikely that they'll simply cut him. This is a business, folks. A proven NFL capable QB who is still under contract is a valuable commodity to a team. One does not take valuable commodities and toss them to the side of the road for "finders keepers"; one preserves their value by keeping them under contract, and trades them for commodities one has greater use for.

Think about Cassel and NE. Not only did they not cut him, they FRANCHISED HIM so that he retained his value, then they traded him to KC. KC got Cassel and his hefty franchise salary, NE got a high 2nd round pick. For Cassel. How Belichek must have laughed.

The chances that no team in the NFL will offer the '9ers something of value for Smith approach ~0. Look for the '9ers to do something similar - keep Smith on the roster into FA (despite the fact that it means they will have to pay him a $1 million bonus) then trade him if they think they can get an adequate backup somewhere else.

Edited by Hopeful

Me too.

I trashed Smith pretty good but I am coming around. He still is young and perhaps Harbaugh's coaching change his career path. I'm not a fan of giving up picks or paying the guy a ton of money, but I can get on board with him here. He can run around and do some things and definitely is the FA/ trade QB I like the best. Plus, he would have a giant chip on his shoulder and I could see him and Steive working well together.

That said, they still better draft a QB high. I think Smith's stats are overrated by playing on a great team and he isn't a true franchise guy. If you got Smith and perhaps spend a 2nd on Manuel, I could dig it. And poor Smith can start until another younger guy steals his job.

I'll say no thanks to a player who chooses upstage his team during Super Bowl week to request his release. Shows all you need to know about his character.

Let's give Alex credit, he said nothing when demoted and this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/28/jim-harbaugh-alex-smith-coaches-colin-kaepernick-more-than-i-do/

He is a true professional & a team player I would want on my team.

While I am not hoping for a Kaepernick injury, it would be poetic justice for Alex to come in the Super Bowl game in relief and win it for the 49ers. His value would skyrocket.