Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

Yup. I love all the "experts" talking like this is the worst draft ever for QBs. If people knew what the hell they were actually talking about, guys like Wilson, Kaep, Dalton would be 1st rounders and guys like Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, etc. would be drafted in the 2nd or later.

And a comparison of careers:

Smith: 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 6.56 ypa, 81 tds, 63 ints, 45 fumbles, 79.1 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/n...8416/alex-smith

Fitz: 59.5 completion %, 14,336 yards, 6.37 ypa, 92 tds, 81 ints, 39 fumbles, 76.8 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/n...yan-fitzpatrick

So we can give up a draft pick and spend starting QB money on Fitz Jr? I mean the way he "carried" the 49ers last year with his 17 tds while overcoming their awful #1 defense was so impressive. You guys are like married guys who lust after every average looking girl you see. Draft a guy, keep Fitz as a backup (we would all love Fitz as a backup/ mentor), and play the rookie no matter what. Bringing in Smith does nothing.

Of course leave out the fact that Smith got better once Harbaugh came in and his coaching was a little more consistent, and they started to get him actual weaponogs on offence besides Gore.

Then throw away teh fact that Fitz has played the last few seasons in an offence that was throw first (second and third) with the occasional run tossed in to try and throw teams off their game plan.

No one is saying to go out and get Smith and expecting him to be a saviour here, people are just saying that he is a better stop gap for now if we don't end up with a rookie who will step up to the pro bowl in year one. Smith might be looking for a place where he can become the undisputed starter, but thats most likely not going to happen unless he can go somewhere and show the league that he isn't just a mediocre QB on a team carried by a defence. Outside of the jets, I don't think theres a team in the league thats going to go out and give him the starting job without there being a rookie/young QB behind him being groomed

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how many people here reject every QB option that isn't the second coming of Tom Brady/Peyton Manning.

Alex Smith does one thing really well that we are sorely missing. He protects the ball. That, alone, helps us out at the position. Is he a hall of famer? Nope. Is he our best option? Yup.

Try to get Alex Smith (or even Flacco), and draft a QB with a sensible pick (2nd round), and let them fight for the starting QB position during off season/pre season.

I don't think so. Alex Smith is something like 20-4 in his last 24 starts. The last game he played for the 49ers before he got hurt/benched he was something like 19-20 for 200 + yards & 2 tds. Doesn't sound much like Rob Johnson to me.

This is why W-L is such a stupid stat for QBs. The 49ers might have the best setup for any QB to be successful. Fitz would be a playoff QB with them. On the other hand, how do you think Smith would have done with our defense?

This is why W-L is such a stupid stat for QBs. The 49ers might have the best setup for any QB to be successful. Fitz would be a playoff QB with them. On the other hand, how do you think Smith would have done with our defense?

Well look this is just a judgement call by me or anyone else one way or the other, but i don't think any team is a playoff team with fitz. Too limited , inconsistent and too many mistakes. I think last years bills with smith are 8&8. Fitz won't win you any games but he will lose some. Smith worst case won't lose you games, and I think he can run a good enough offense to win some.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Well look this is just a judgement call by me or anyone else one way or the other, but i don't think any team is a playoff team with fitz. Too limited , inconsistent and too many mistakes. I think last years bills with smith are 8&8. Fitz won't win you any games but he will lose some. Smith worst case won't lose you games, and I think he can run a good enough offense to win some.

Smith, who the 49ers couldn't get rid of prior to harbaugh arriving, took the 49ers to the nfc championship game. remove Smith, and insert a QB who never played before, and the 49ers are in the nfc championship again. It's Harbaugh.

Smith has an all-pro TE, an elite O-line, all-pro RB, better WR than the Bills, and a top 5 defense. What did Smith have to do in SF? Simply not lose the game. What did Fitz have to do in buffalo? Try to put up as many points as possible.

I think it's unfair to say that if we insert Smith on the bills last season, we go 8-8.

Now if someone wants to trade for Smith AND Harbaugh in a package deal, i'm all for that..

Edited by bobobonators

Did you actually watch last season? Horrible pick six to cromartie to start 2nd half of opener ,horrible pick against titans when we had late game lead, horrible game ending pick in the end zone when we had pats on the rope, etc etc. And this is nothing new : pulled that crap the season before in losses to giants, Bengals, etc etc.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Alex Smith is Ryan Fitzpatrick with a little more accuracy. No thanks.

They are very comparable over their careers. Wishing for Smith is an example of the type of thinking that has the Bills in this mess for the last 13 years+

New coaches hopefully will bring a new mindset that doesn't rely on failures of the past. Reaching for a guy like Smith is a failed experiment repeated many times by the Bills since Jim Kelly was QB.

Better than 6-10

Edited by Magox

Did you actually watch last season? Horrible pick six to cromartie to start 2nd half of opener ,horrible pick against titans when we had late game lead, horrible game ending pick in the end zone when we had pats on the rope, etc etc. And this is nothing new : pulled that crap the season before in losses to giants, Bengals, etc etc.

Pick to Cromartie was absolutely horrible. I agree.

Pick against titans - the call was worse than the play. But do you think the 49ers defense lets the Titans drive the field to actually take the lead? I think not.

Pick in the end zone vs. the Pats - how many times did the 49ers make Smith HAVE to throw 3-4tds in a game just to have a shot at winning? This goes back to my point vs. Fitz having to play above his head to pull out wins vs. Smith just going with the flow and not screw things up.

Smith would come to the Bills and have a considerable downgrade in talent. You think throwing for 15td's in a season would put us at 8-8 when a defense is giving up 28pts a game? Even with fewer INT's than Fitz, the numbers just won't add up. Smith would be required to play above his level in order to keep up with opposing teams and Smith would be exploited much the same way Fitz has been.

fitz talk fitz talk.............

scrub city........49ers go 0-16 with em......

make the fitz talk stop pulleeeeeeze. Alex Smif ain't the answer in B-Lo either FWIW........if we give up more than a 4th rounder i say no thanks.

i'm all for drafting a QB. Fitz is what he is, we've all seen that for 3 years now. Bring in Alex Smith and we have what, another 3-4 years to see that he's not the answer either? No thanks.

Plus, why would Alex Smith want to come to Buffalo where the situation will probably the same as it was in SF when we draft a QB this year.

I just don't see it at all.

At least with Fitz, if he restructures his contract, I can see him being a backup and not rocking the boat in the long-term. I don't see Alex Smith quietly taking a backseat again.

Pick to Cromartie was absolutely horrible. I agree.

Pick against titans - the call was worse than the play. But do you think the 49ers defense lets the Titans drive the field to actually take the lead? I think not.

Pick in the end zone vs. the Pats - how many times did the 49ers make Smith HAVE to throw 3-4tds in a game just to have a shot at winning? This goes back to my point vs. Fitz having to play above his head to pull out wins vs. Smith just going with the flow and not screw things up.

Smith would come to the Bills and have a considerable downgrade in talent. You think throwing for 15td's in a season would put us at 8-8 when a defense is giving up 28pts a game? Even with fewer INT's than Fitz, the numbers just won't add up. Smith would be required to play above his level in order to keep up with opposing teams and Smith would be exploited much the same way Fitz has been.

No I'm not letting the defense off the hook, I'm just attempting to isolate instances where a capable QB doesn't lose us the game. And BTW this smith-harbaugh angle, let's not forget before that singletary was his coach. About as bad an offensive HC i can think of. Almost ruined crabtrees career. Gailey IMO was far more QB friendly.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Plus, why would Alex Smith want to come to Buffalo where the situation will probably the same as it was in SF when we draft a QB this year.

I think the main argument for this is: what team is going to outright starting job to Alex Smith? One possibility in all this (though highly doubtful) is that Baltimore decides they can't afford Flacco and then make a play for Smith.

fitz talk fitz talk.............

scrub city........49ers go 0-16 with em......

make the fitz talk stop pulleeeeeeze. Alex Smif ain't the answer in B-Lo either FWIW........if we give up more than a 4th rounder i say no thanks.

Well yeah I'm not talking about offering up an RG3 package for Smith. Value play here, 4th at most.

But beyond Smith really what are our alternatives? Nix-gailey left us a horrible mess at the position, that has to be entirely rebuilt thru the draft and FA

Well yeah I'm not talking about offering up an RG3 package for Smith. Value play here, 4th at most.

But beyond Smith really what are our alternatives? Nix-gailey left us a horrible mess at the position, that has to be entirely rebuilt thru the draft and FA

I hear ya. Rip on me all you want (ryan), but I'd prefer the following combo: QB from the draft/Fitz over Smith/QB from this year's draft.

Let Fitz compete with the drafted rookie and let the best man start the season next year. If Fitz gets the nod and we're under .500 after 5 games or so, switch to the rookie if he's ready. If the rookie looks impressive prior to the season, start the rookie.

It'll be a lot easier to switch from Fitz to a rookie QB b/c Fitz has already been here.

This is assuming Fitz is willing to restructure his contract a bit..

Edited by bobobonators

Why does anyone wnat this indecisive noodle arm onour team? Please tell me, where was he pre Harbough? Can we please draft a QB and call it a day....

So, to be clear, which of the 6 or 7 certain all-star NFL QBs should the Bills take in this year's draft? Of course, if there are that many certain future Pro-Bowl QBs, I agree with the idea of "let's just draft one of 'em".