Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

NFL.com reported that bills are one of 4 teams that have shown interest. Cards, chiefs and eagles the other 3 (eagles surprise me a little with an option to keep Vick and the promising foles). they also noted jets haven't expressed interest ... Salary cap hell!

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Smith = Drew Bledsoe.

If he isn't the guy for San Francisco, he's certainly not THE guy for us if it involves a first or second round pick. If we get him for a late pick or in free agency as a placeholder for a year or two while we look for a franchise rookie, it might work.

All in all I think we had better pick the best qb available in round two or three. There are too many excellent Offensive Line and Linebacker blue chips available for us not to get one of them in the first round.

NFL.com reported that bills are one of 4 teams that have shown interest. Cards, chiefs and eagles the other 3 (eagles surprise me a little with an option to keep Vick and the promising foles). they also noted jets haven't expressed interest ... Salary cap hell!

Jets may end up being the worst team in the league, which may be part of their master plan to get Manziel

Jets may end up being the worst team in the league, which may be part of their master plan to get Manziel

Kinda funny that everyone is talking about Manziel like he's a lock to be the first player picked next year, ala Andrew Luck. He's far from a polished, NFL-ready prospect, although that's not to say he won't be any good. Before his senior year, not too many people outside of Waco had heard of RG III, much less considered him a can't miss NFL prospect.

Edited by mannc

Why all this talk about Smith ? Why isn't there rumblings about what we could get in a trade package for Fitzpatrick ? Why aren't teams beating down the door for him :worthy: ? I just don't understand this. Please enlighten me.

Please, don't slip and fall into that entirely too obvious sar-chasm yawning before your liddle feet.

Be nice if we could trade Fitz with a restructured contract to be SF backup. Other teams will bid up the offer for Smith.

It would be nice if I could get a 2 week expenses paid vacation to Belize.

And, it would also be nice if I could get a pony.

SF already has Smith. Why on earth would they trade for a backup who isn't better than Smith or has higher upside (eg young guy or draftee)? Just keep Smith.

So do we trade for him or wait for him to get released, hoping no one else puts together a package for the Niners?

I think we should hope we can draft Cousins in the 4th round. :flirt:

Wow, I must need to chillax. :beer:

Other than for Harbaugh, Smith has sucked for every coach he played for. Yet people actually want to trade for him and his 8 mil salary? The Bills will suck next year anyways why not do it with someone new? Instead of a another proven crap QB.

Smith's "singletary" era was the most painful, check it out and say he's worth anything more than a bag of footballs.

I'll say no thanks to a player who chooses upstage his team during Super Bowl week to request his release. Shows all you need to know about his character.

That's fan speak. After the SB team's are going after top FAs & the longer he hangs in limbo the more likely potential suitors make other arrangements. That's the same reason Fitz's bonus kicks in 2 days after the SB. Smith has done nothing wrong here.

Other than for Harbaugh, Smith has sucked for every coach he played for. Yet people actually want to trade for him and his 8 mil salary? The Bills will suck next year anyways why not do it with someone new? Instead of a another proven crap QB.

Smith's "singletary" era was the most painful, check it out and say he's worth anything more than a bag of footballs.

Guy has been good for 2 years and he wasn't horrible for the 2 years before that. This past season he was outstanding before the injury.

It takes some guys longer to mature than others and he was lucky enough to be given the opportunity. It's not like the Niners were doing it with smoke and mirrors, it as a conservative offensive but Smith made plenty of plays when given the chance. He's 28 and entering the prime of his career, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

People seem to think that you need to have the best QBs in the league or else your QB situation is garbage. Look at the teams int he SB - those QBs aren't the best in the league but they're good enough with the teams that surround them. Hell, I have little doubt that if Alex Smith was QBing the Niners they'd still be in the SB.

People seem to think that you need to have the best QBs in the league or else your QB situation is garbage. Look at the teams int he SB - those QBs aren't the best in the league but they're good enough with the teams that surround them. Hell, I have little doubt that if Alex Smith was QBing the Niners they'd still be in the SB.

The 2 QBs in the SB this year may actually be top tier QBs. The argument is in full swing as to whether Flacco is of that calibre.....and if Kaepernick performs at a top level for the next 4 years he likely will be considered one as well.

You didn't outright say it....but your implication was fairly clear.....and you are incorrect. If you want your team to win or even just get into the SB you pretty much need a top QB. That's not to say that if you don't you can't.....just that your chances are much, much less with a 2nd tier(or worse) QB. It also doesn't mean that if you have an Alex Smith type QB that your situation is garbage.....it just means that your winning upper limit is greatly hindered.

And here are some stats to support what I am saying....

This is all relatively rough but provides a good overview....

In any given year there are.....and we'll be generous....10 top tier QBs in the league.

That leaves....and for the sake of expansion teams we'll call it a 31 team league....21 2nd tier or less QB'd teams in the league.

Over the past 20 Super Bowls(XXVII - XLVI), the below lists are the SB QBs....Winners(W), Losers(L)

Top Tier(18W, 10L)

E. Manning(2W)

Brady(3W, 2L)

Rodgers(W)

Roethlisberger(2W, L)

Brees(W)

P. Manning(W, L)

Warner(W, 2L)

McNabb(L)

Elway(2W)

Favre(W, L)

Aikman(3W)

Young(W)

Kelly(2L)

Non Top Tier(2W, 10L)

Grossman(L)

Hasselbeck(L)

Delhomme(L)

Johnson(W)

Gannon(L)

Dilfer(W)

Collins(L)

McNair(L)

Chandler(L)

Bledsoe(L)

O'Donnell(L)

Humphries(L)

A top tier QB wins 90% of the SBs(18 of 20).

From the guestimations above....if you have a top tier QB you have a 10% chance(1 in 10) that when a top tier QB wins the SB it is your QB.

This means that if you have a top tier QB your average chance each year to win the SB is 9%(90%x10%)......or 1 in 11 years on average.

A non top tier QB wins 10% of the SBs(2 of 20)

From the guestimations above....if you have a non top tier QB you have a 4.8% chance(1 in 21) that when a non top tier QB wins the SB it is your QB.

This means that if you have a non top tier QB your average chance each year to win the SB is 0.5%(10%x4.8%)......or 1 in 210 years on average.

Edited by Dibs

A few days after Jim Harbaugh said that Alex Smith's wishes "would absolutely" be taken into consideration regarding his future, the rumors here in the Bay Area are that Smith wants to be a starter and that the Niners will try to trade him before cutting him.

More here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/03/report-49ers-will-try-to-trade-alex-smith/

The stupidest post ever is when people call Alex Smith equal to Ryan Fitzpatrick... Does anyone watch football anymore or just randomly speaking with out thinking the new opinion? I understand that Bills fans want fresh blood ok cool say that. But don't compare Alex Smith to that other QB thats ridiculous.

The 49ers would be in the Superbowl with Alex Smith and you guys know it (they were a fumble away last year). Ask yourself if Fitzgarbage was with the 49ers would they be in the Super Bowl... Answer is a HELL NO!

With that said there is no comparison...

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23