Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

Did you take high school algebra? The success or failure of these QB's are independent events. Therefore Barkely's probability of success or failure has nothing to do with the prior QB's. If you toss a coin 9 times and get heads all nine times, the probability of getting a head on the tenth toss is still 50/50.

I'm not sure this analogy works. All the QB's have the constant of playing at USC (arguably the most talented offensive players in the country), so while their individual talent may be a variable the fact that all of them have access to playmakers that most other college QB's do not does mean something, right?

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing typical about this kid when it comes to what makes him tick. I was impressed to learn that he actually spearheaded relief efforts in Africa and Haiti among other places. Not just went to those places but actually organized and recruited others to help in relief efforts. That just isn't stereoptypical behavior for most people, let alone USC quarterbacks. Very impressive.

GO BILLS!!!

For once, you and I agree on something.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a very thoughtful and data-driven analysis of Barkley, with good and bad points and a lot of examples.

From Football Outsiders, very legit outfit and no particular ax to grind

Linky

Good article! :thumbsup: After reading it, I could imagine Barkley being successful in a rhythm offense, like the one the 49ers employed during the '80s.

Good article! :thumbsup: After reading it, I could imagine Barkley being successful in a rhythm offense, like the one the 49ers employed during the '80s.

The Bills have been running a rhythm method offense for over a decade. That's where we pull out just before we score.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/college-football-rapidreports/20039051/big-east-notebook-syracuse-coach-doug-marrone-wishes-uscs-matt-barkley-left-early-for-nfl

""Last October, Barkley shredded the Orange secondary with 324 yards and five touchdowns. During Monday's Big East coaches' teleconference, Marrone indicated that Barkley, not Robert Griffin III, would have been considered the top quarterback in last April's NFL Draft alongside Andrew Luck""

Read the article he continues to rave about Barkley....

And Buddy Nix mas a man Crush On Matt Barkley

and Barkley is also a guy you can trade back into the first rd to get while holding onto the 8th pick,,,,

its practically a done deal

and Barkley is also a guy you can trade back into the first rd to get while holding onto the 8th pick,,,,

I agreed with you until you said that. There's no way Geno AND Barkley make it out of the top 10. The Cards have already stated they are high on Barkley too. I hope they get him, I don't want him

http://www.cbssports...t-early-for-nfl

""Last October, Barkley shredded the Orange secondary with 324 yards and five touchdowns. During Monday's Big East coaches' teleconference, Marrone indicated that Barkley, not Robert Griffin III, would have been considered the top quarterback in last April's NFL Draft alongside Andrew Luck""

I don't know where they got those numbers from, but they're completely off. He threw for less than 200 yards but 6 tds. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/480322/matt-barkley

And again, what is up with people not wanting a QB at #8 but then trading back in the 1st to get him? It makes zero sense. Why risk losing him? And if you don't fell comfortable taking him at #8, why are you drafting him i nthe 1st place?

If your money is on Barkley it's fool's money. The Bills are going to suck this year so I'd wait until next year to grab a QB in the 1st round. Too many holes on this team and no franchise QB's available in this draft.

And again, what is up with people not wanting a QB at #8 but then trading back in the 1st to get him? It makes zero sense. Why risk losing him? And if you don't fell comfortable taking him at #8, why are you drafting him i nthe 1st place?

i don't know.....the trade back/get a qb in the 2nd round sentiment scares me.

grab a guy at #8, lets quit messing around with the most important position on the team.

Another California QB? Because the Bills have done sooo good with them as of late i.e Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards

weak comparisons abound. Aaron Rogers and Tony Romo are from Cali as well FTR.

and the king of all kings Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Barkley 11tds 1 int 71% passes completed against Marrone. 2-0 also.

Geno Smith 5 tds 5 ints 56% 0-3 against Marrone.

One more thing about Nassib........He`s a DOME Q.B. and he comes from Philly. I lived there a few yrs and it`s Tropical compared to Buff . I lived in S.Buffalo till I was 17.

I don't know where they got those numbers from, but they're completely off. He threw for less than 200 yards but 6 tds. http://espn.go.com/c...22/matt-barkley

With Barkley, I agree with that. But when I hear Schopp use the same logic to say "just go ahead and draft Nassib in the 1st round", I gurgle vomit.

I'm ok with either Barkley or Smith in the 1st, but I'm not the one who needs to get this right.

after Barkley has his pro day there will be no trading back into the first round to get him.....the Bills may have to jump up a few spots actually.........

Yes - that is really what I'm afraid of, that not only Geno Smith goes, to say Oakland, which would leave Philly and Arizona - not to mention the Browns - all ahead of us and potentially looking at QB. Barkley has been so far under the radar, and I feel like teams like Buffalo are crossing their fingers and toes hoping that he continues to be overlooked, so that they'll get lucky and have him fall to them at 8. Truth is, I suspect Barkley is higher on a lot of team's boards than Smith is. He is the only QB I'd be happy with the Bills trading up to get. If, by some great fortuen that has thus far eluded the Bills, Barkley falls to 8, there will be no hesitation; the Bills will run to the podium with the selection.

If they can't get him, however, then I'm okay with them going with a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. There are other QB's I think have a real shot at being good NFL QB's in the draft (Manuel, Nassib, Scott, Jones, Glennon) but it is equally scarry to think of the Bills really liking and believing in a guy (one of the above) and thinking he'll be there in the 2nd or 3rd, and then miss out on him because they waited. That would really suck.

And, while I'm talking about what COULD suck - I could easily see the Patriots using their first rounder on, say, Barkley, if he were still available, or another QB with a high ceiling, just to screw the Bills and Jets. Think about it - both teams are in bad shape at QB (Buffalo FAR worse), and New England would, with one pick, totally take away the Bills ability to compete.

Lots to things to hope for and fear - that is why this time of year is so fun!

With Barkley, I agree with that. But when I hear Schopp use the same logic to say "just go ahead and draft Nassib in the 1st round", I gurgle vomit.

I'm ok with either Barkley or Smith in the 1st, but I'm not the one who needs to get this right.

Yeah Mayocks 5th ranked QB in a weak class. Thats who I want . The Dome QB.

Its a pipe dream to believe he will be there late into the first round. If the Raiders dont take him before, the Cards are going to take him at 7, so do with that information what you will.

Best player available pls. Just run the Syracuse hurry-up, read option offense with T Jack for a season and see what happens. Bills are going to suck this year, so lets just get some high quality bodies in here. I see a quick mobile O Lineman being taken # 1. With Cordy on the right and a better Cordy on the left, you can run a fast paced O. Let Brad Smith run it , Tebow style. Why not? The Pats and Phins will be loaded and Marrone gets a pass for this year anyway. Lets have some fun.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Another California QB? Because the Bills have done sooo good with them as of late i.e Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards

Of all the legitimate reasons to be critical of Barkley you thought typing this narrow-minded pile of poo was the one to best represent your stance... awesome.

I don't know where they got those numbers from, but they're completely off. He threw for less than 200 yards but 6 tds. http://espn.go.com/c...22/matt-barkley

Look at the date of the article. They are referencing what Barkley did against Syracuse in 2011.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.cbssports...t-early-for-nfl

Barkley and Nassib are not starter material at the next level. Simply put...they are too short, stocky, and slow with average NFL arms.

There's no way that either of these guys are the QB the Bills are targeting. Doug Marrone coached on the Saints who had Drew Brees as their QB. He knows what basic physical skills a QB must have to be a viable successful NFL starter.

Edited by 1billsfan

after Barkley has his pro day there will be no trading back into the first round to get him.....the Bills may have to jump up a few spots actually.........

All depends on his shoulder. There were serious concerns around the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Barkley and Nassib are not starter material at the next level. Simply put...they are too short, stocky, and slow with average NFL arms.

There's no way that either of these guys are the QB the Bills are targeting. Doug Marrone coached on the Saints who had Drew Brees as their QB. He knows what basic physical skills a QB must have to be a viable successful NFL starter.

Brees is shorter than both.

GO BILLS!!!

As I said if we want one of the top 2 QB's in this class, we are going to have to trade UP. You guys listen to the media talking heads, NFL teams don't.

Totally agree. Everyone knows it's a QB driven league. If teams drafted Locker, Gabbert and Ponder so high...it baffles me why the talking heads in media assume the 2013 class will drift out of the top 10. Please. Geno and Barkley will be drafted before #8. I suspect the Bills will be able to get Nassib, Glennon and Wilson at #8 if they so choose. IF they don't draft a QB at #8 they will risk not getting one at all.

Totally agree. Everyone knows it's a QB driven league. If teams drafted Locker, Gabbert and Ponder so high...it baffles me why the talking heads in media assume the 2013 class will drift out of the top 10. Please. Geno and Barkley will be drafted before #8. I suspect the Bills will be able to get Nassib, Glennon and Wilson at #8 if they so choose. IF they don't draft a QB at #8 they will risk not getting one at all.

If it comes down to Glennon or nASSib . I~ll take Glennon in a heartbeat over the slower ,shorter,weaker arm DOME QB

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Warm weather QBs in cold cities doing just fine.

COACHING is the issue

If it comes down to Glennon or nASSib . I~ll take Glennon in a heartbeat over the slower ,shorter,weaker arm DOME QB

Me too. I like the guy that can throw frozen ropes down the field. Nassib did perform for Marrone and they threw a ton of short passes and screens. If that's the offense Marrone is bringing to BLo then i can see them grabbing Nassib as their guy.

And when did he throw the other 5tds against them? 11 tds and 1 pick. .

Ge

He had 5 TDs in 2011 and 6 TDs with an INT in 2012 vs. Syracuse. That's 11 TDs, 1 pick vs. Syracuse the last two years.

GO BILLS!!!