Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know but I know that it has no bearing on the future.

If Barkley isn't good enough it's not gonna be because he played at USC.

THIS. I'm not even a Barkley fan. One could make the argument that a lot of the previous guys came under Pete Carroll...so is it the Trojans/LA or is it the head coach.

Barkley injured his shoulder against UCLA Nov 17th and it is still not healed. It was said to be a Grade 3 separation. 3 months later it has not healed enough to throw would be a red flag to some teams, Have to wait and see if he has it back to throwing shape on his pro day on March 27th. I doubt he will be drafted by the Bills. I think they are viewing other QB talent.

I didn't read the latest. A week ago he said he would throw, he must be close. In his defense he played with is through the winter. Should be ok. Look at Breese v. Culpepper. Dolphins went with Donte because they thought a QB with a bad knee was better than a QB with a bad shoulder. Our lives as Bills fans could be very different getting 4 games per season v Brady and Brees. There is a God

Edited by Mango

He announced he was throwing at the combine...a week ago. You may have some info I don't have, but that's what I have heard

Barkley pulls a 180...

http://profootballta...est-of-my-life/

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Barkley won’t throw at this week’s Scouting Combine. Per Schefter, Barkley “might” run. Which means, of course, that he “might” not.

It’s a stark contrast to Barkley’s own words from a week ago, in which he said his injured shoulder had healed sufficiently to allow him to throw.

This is probably the biggest test of my life coming up,” Barkley said. “This is like the SAT times thousands. I hear the whole couple days is a grind. But I am looking forward to that challenge. I am excited about it.”

Did you take high school algebra? The success or failure of these QB's are independent events. Therefore Barkely's probability of success or failure has nothing to do with the prior QB's. If you toss a coin 9 times and get heads all nine times, the probability of getting a head on the tenth toss is still 50/50.

SO why does that mean Barkley will suck. I'm not seeing the connection?

By this logic we should only draft QB's from Cal, Tennesee and MIchingan.

C'mon Allan Bridgford, Tyler Bray, and Denard Robinson! We should draft all 3 since they are going to be stars.

Exactly. Not drafting a player from school X bc past players at that position from school X have sucked is a pretty poor draft strategy.

Like another poster mentioned, I can begin to understand if said player came from the same system, head coach, etc that produced the other crappy players, but MB has not.

ESPN carried Barkley addressing the media live on TV this afternoon.

Well spoken kid. He didn't sound like the stereotypical southern cal bro. I really liked what I heard. Then the interview turned into a Chris Brown long winded question.

He wasn't on camera, but I immediately recognized his voice, and when his first question went on for 8 sentences, I knew the scared lemur had struck once again, and this time it was on national television. Then he did it again.

ESPN carried Barkley addressing the media live on TV this afternoon.

Well spoken kid. He didn't sound like the stereotypical southern cal bro. I really liked what I heard. Then the interview turned into a Chris Brown long winded question.

He wasn't on camera, but I immediately recognized his voice, and when his first question went on for 8 sentences, I knew the scared lemur had struck once again, and this time it was on national television. Then he did it again.

Hahaha. I love the characterization of Brown; think it's funny at least. I see people bash him on here but I think he does a good job at OBD. The only thing is is I think he is more of a promoter and marketer for the Bills than a reporter.

Barkley is a good guy, I just don't think he'll be durable enough, and strong-armed enough to make the grade in Buffalo. I'm even starting to think Geno Smith wouldn't be a good fit. I'm starting to settle on Mike Glennon whom has the size, and potential to be a good QB if developed for a couple of seasons. The only other guy I see with possible potential is the young Tyler Bray 6'6'' 232.

I thought Barkley did great, too. He's obviously smart - on and off the field. He's got that Fitzpatrick-ish skill of reading defenses and not making too many mistakes, contrasting that with Fitz who reads defenses, but because his arm is insufficient, he still makes mistakes. Barkley is my top QB and I think the Bills will be super excited if he falls to them.

I think there is a lot to the "fit" idea, too. I think guys like Tyler Wilson (especially) - and Ryan Nassib in the same way - are very Jim Kelly like. They are tough QB's who will take hits and put their all out there into it, and rally a team, as well. It's just that Nassib doesn't appear to have much better of an arm than Fitz. Glennon is super strong armed, no doubt, but I wonder if his small build and immobilitiy - not to mention his intangibles - would appeal to our FO for what its looking for. Tyler Bray, I think, would be a very good fit - just not until the 2nd or 3rd round. He's got everything necessary (except, perhaps - and we'll know more later - his intelligence and maturity). There's also Manuel - who's got all the physical tools to excel in Buffalo. Landry Jones probably "fits" in Buffalo, too.

So, there are quite a few QB's who could succeed in Buffalo. My guess would have to be they're looking for accuracy, arm strenth, and intelligence as their 3 top qualities. When I look at the class that leads me to rank them, in order of best to least: Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, Bray, Manuel, Nassib, Jones - althogh it's Geno Smith that is the wild card, IMO - I can't tell where to rank him, and I concede he might be the best, or merely one of the top 3 - he is just very hard for me to evaluate. There's something about him that makes me nervous.

Measured at 0624 226 with a little over 10" hands at the combine. I know people were concerned about the size of his hands and he ended up having one of the biggest size hands of all combine QBs.

Originally I wasn't big on Barkley but the more I watch the more I like. I think his arm strength is overblown. He can't throw it through a brick wall but he certainly has enough arm to make all the throws. Given the offense we'll be running I think Barkley is a perfect fit.

Would not be unhappy with Barkley at 8 at all.

Edited by Bangarang

I thought Barkley did great, too. He's obviously smart - on and off the field. He's got that Fitzpatrick-ish skill of reading defenses and not making too many mistakes, contrasting that with Fitz who reads defenses, but because his arm is insufficient, he still makes mistakes. Barkley is my top QB and I think the Bills will be super excited if he falls to them.

I think there is a lot to the "fit" idea, too. I think guys like Tyler Wilson (especially) - and Ryan Nassib in the same way - are very Jim Kelly like. They are tough QB's who will take hits and put their all out there into it, and rally a team, as well. It's just that Nassib doesn't appear to have much better of an arm than Fitz. Glennon is super strong armed, no doubt, but I wonder if his small build and immobilitiy - not to mention his intangibles - would appeal to our FO for what its looking for. Tyler Bray, I think, would be a very good fit - just not until the 2nd or 3rd round. He's got everything necessary (except, perhaps - and we'll know more later - his intelligence and maturity). There's also Manuel - who's got all the physical tools to excel in Buffalo. Landry Jones probably "fits" in Buffalo, too.

So, there are quite a few QB's who could succeed in Buffalo. My guess would have to be they're looking for accuracy, arm strenth, and intelligence as their 3 top qualities. When I look at the class that leads me to rank them, in order of best to least: Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, Bray, Manuel, Nassib, Jones - althogh it's Geno Smith that is the wild card, IMO - I can't tell where to rank him, and I concede he might be the best, or merely one of the top 3 - he is just very hard for me to evaluate. There's something about him that makes me nervous.

Where is all this "Nassib has a weak arm" stuff coming from? The guy has a HUGE arm. In some cases to his detriment. He's like Elway was, he throws everything at 90mph.

Jesus christ....this barkley not having enough arm strength crap is getting old.....are you guys freaking kidding or what......just cuz barkley doesnt throw bullets on every single pass doesnt mean he has fitzgarbage type arm strength...i have seen barkley live throw 25 to 30 yard strikes dead on in stride for tds...i have seen barkley launch 60+ yard passes to marquis lee..(all in the air btw not a two yard screen and then yac by the wr). We had fitstrashpick for three season...demonstrating his cannon of a arm.(sarcasm).....dam dude cant throw a football over 15 yards with velocity ...let alone accurately........ugggh barkley has way more arm strenght then trashrofltrick....lamesucktrick only wishes he had barkleys arm strength

Edited by Hotpockets28

Measured at 0624 226 with a little over 10" hands at the combine. I know people were concerned about the size of his hands and he ended up having one of the biggest size hands of all combine QBs.

Originally I wasn't big on Barkley but the more I watch the more I like. I think his arm strength is overblown. He can't throw it through a brick wall but he certainly has enough arm to make all the throws. Given the offense we'll be running I think Barkley is a perfect fit.

Does he have the arm strength to throw into the west end zone in December/January?

I feel confident that he would at least be an upgrade over Fitz. Maybe not a star, but competent, at least.

Barkley is a good guy, I just don't think he'll be durable enough, and strong-armed enough to make the grade in Buffalo. I'm even starting to think Geno Smith wouldn't be a good fit. I'm starting to settle on Mike Glennon whom has the size, and potential to be a good QB if developed for a couple of seasons. The only other guy I see with possible potential is the young Tyler Bray 6'6'' 232.

Not sure why you would question his durability. He has missed a total of 4 games in 4yrs as a starter at USC. Seems fairly durable.

:lol:

Oh man that was too funny!!! :D

\ The only thing is is I think he is more of a promoter and marketer for the Bills than a reporter.

Ya think? ;)