Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This argument that there's something in the water at USC that keeps QBs from playing well in the NFL (I'm assuming it's water b/c it obviously has nothing to do with offensive system or coaching staff) is probably the most intellectually lazy arguments to pick up traction around here. It makes about as much sense as dismissing a prospect named Mike Williams b/c past players named Mike Williams weren't motivated. I swear I could get more thoughtful analysis out of a 4th grader.

Good point! We should definitely also avoid anyone named Mike Williams!

even more than the Cal argument, it was all Tedford coached QBs are terrible (Harrington, Carr). I get the idea of type casting but just like it real life, you need to explore each person individually.

Kyle Boller

• 2 weeks later...

It seems Matt Barkley has fallen out of favor, but I still think he's the closest thing to a blue chip QB in this draft. I realize there's a higher risk/reward possibility from a guy like Glennon or G Smith, but seeing as how we've got most of the pieces in place I'd prefer to take the safe route.

I know he didn't have as good a year as in 2011, but given the coaching and protection issues he still had a pretty good stat line, completing over 60% of his passes with 36 TDs to 15 Ints mostly against pretty solid opposition. So other than being a pretty boy from USC with good but not great arm strength, are there any major knocks against him?

How would yall feel about Matt Barkley in a Bills uniform?

* yes, I know there are other Matt Barkley threads, but I thought it would be nice to have one predicated upon the prospect of him being an NFL QB rather than being from USC or having a hot sister.

I'm hearing there are more than just minor concerns about his shoulder. If he can't convince the medical staff at the combine that he's 100% and he under performs at his pro day, etc. he's gonna drop.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm hearing there are more than just minor concerns about his shoulder. If he can't convince the medical staff at the combine that he's 100% and he under performs at his pro day, etc. he's gonna drop.

GO BILLS!!!

Supposing his shoulder checks out okay, how would that affect opinions? And if not, would you take a flyer on him in a later round? IIRC Sam Bradford had shoulder concerns coming out of college also.

It seems Matt Barkley has fallen out of favor, but I still think he's the closest thing to a blue chip QB in this draft. I realize there's a higher risk/reward possibility from a guy like Glennon or G Smith, but seeing as how we've got most of the pieces in place I'd prefer to take the safe route.

I know he didn't have as good a year as in 2011, but given the coaching and protection issues he still had a pretty good stat line, completing over 60% of his passes with 36 TDs to 15 Ints mostly against pretty solid opposition. So other than being a pretty boy from USC with good but not great arm strength, are there any major knocks against him?

How would yall feel about Matt Barkley in a Bills uniform?

* yes, I know there are other Matt Barkley threads, but I thought it would be nice to have one predicated upon the prospect of him being an NFL QB rather than being from USC or having a hot sister.

Anything about him that you think makes him more polished than smith at this point?

Anything about him that you think makes him more polished than smith at this point?

When he has time he goes through his progressions, does a lot of pre-snap adjustments, and I've seen him come through under pressure. In the games I've seen Smith has a good arm and is accurate, but he seems to lock in on his reciever and I haven't seen him pressured much so I can't say how he would respond to it. Nothing against Smith, I just think Barkley is a safer pick.

I agree Barkley would be our safe pick and if the Bills brass thinks he is the one they want, they have to get him at #8 in the 1st round as he will not be available at where they pick in the 2nd round. Barkley can make his throws and is an accurate QB and comes from a pro-style offense. The biggest downfalls of most of the QBs that we have had except for Edwards was accuracy....

Barkley is a mini me of Ryan Fitzpatrick, smart, can read defenses and make decent throws, but lacks a big arm, and deep ball accuracy....sound familiar?

Ask any current NFL QB what it's like to throw a football in the snowy cold blustery winds of December in Buffalo's RWS. For that matter anytime there is a strong wind factor you need a QB with a big arm to put a tight spiral on the ball to cut thru the wind.Jim Kelly could do that!

Although Barkley might be more NFL ready atm from playing in a pro set, I'd rather draft a guy like Tyler Bray out of Tenn, 6'5" 215 and an arm as strong as Jay Cutler