Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the last USC quarterback that was good in the NFL? Don't worry I'll wait... Wasn't Jimmy Clausen #1 coming out of HS????

Before RG3 what was the last Baylor QB that was good in the NFL? I hate arguments like this. If you don't like Barkley that's fine, but don't base it on past performance of players that have gone to the same school. Base it on how he has performed and what his potential is.

http://www.revengeof...ly-impressed-by

the matt miller tweet on the page in what i saw earlier....

Thanks for providing the link Ryan, although the body of the article seems to question the credibility of the "sources" involved. In fact, the Card's VP of public relations even tweeted "buyer beware on these types of reports;" specifically citing Matt Miller's tweet. I don't doubt that the Cardinals may have been impressed with Barkley during his interview, but taking a tweet from a "reporter" for the Bleacher Report as fact is pretty dangerous.

I wouldn't be shocked if Barkley went to Arizona at #7, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been following the draft process so far this year. I watched some of the combine and NFL network's coverage afterwards. In all of this I managed to see a few interviews with Matt Barkley.

To be honest, I really don't like QB's from USC. But after seeing this kid, and hearing him...I can say that I really do like him. I think he would fit well on our team. The kid is a leader and he has been a starter for his team since freshman year in high school. That is impressive for a kid going to USC! In one interview his football knowledge seemed to be very good and he was questioned about how his time at USC was. His response was that he liked holding the team together and helping lead them through a time of turmoil during the NCAA sanctions. This guy really seems like a team player and the natural born leader I want on our team.

Now, some might knock him for his average senior year...but went to look back at his junior year tape and I was impressed with it. I think that if this kid is put in the right offense hell blossom into a great NFL starter. I think we have the right coaches and a fairly young nucleus to build this team around Matt Barkley. So, all I have to say is get it done buddy!

I look forward to what everyone here thinks about Barkley!

GO BILLS!!!

Super Bowl or Bust

Did Andrew Luck play for USC? NO!! So that metaphor goes out the window.. You could have said would if Tom Brady played for USC then... Fact is USC quarterbacks suck 99.9% of the time in the league.. Palmer too... Didn't Adrian Peterson comeback from an injury? Didn't Tom Brady comeback from and injury?? Didn't Peyton Manning comeback from injury???? #Check

No offense to you, but this line of reasoning makes no sense. For the longest time, people thought that Michigan QBs sucked and never had any success in the pros. Then comes Tom Brady.

A more recent meme is that Penn State running backs suck. But look back in time and you see Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris. (Plus Larry Johnson put over 3500 yards in a 2-year period for KC - two straight seasons of 1750 yards plus). The point is, just because Sean Salisbury and Rodney Peete didn't pan out has no bearing on Barkley. And for the record, Palmer had two truly elite seasons for Cincy. His problem was an elbow issue, and he's never really come back from that.

Edited by dave mcbride

I look at Barkley, and I see Fitz six or seven years ago. -Minus the mobility, which Fitz no longer has.

Plus he's got that shoulder thing goin on, which could, IMWO, prove to be a nagging, career long injury.

I say PASS. the potential for him busting-out seems a bit high.

Fitz was a 7th round draft choice...meaning he was never a 1st round draft material. It is so foolish that people are comparing Barkley with Fitzpatrick. Barkley is the best and most complete QB from this draft. I simply don't see him lasting until #8th pick. Arizona or Cleveland will be all over him before us.

Before RG3 what was the last Baylor QB that was good in the NFL? I hate arguments like this. If you don't like Barkley that's fine, but don't base it on past performance of players that have gone to the same school. Base it on how he has performed and what his potential is.

+1

Fitz was a 7th round draft choice...meaning he was never a 1st round draft material. It is so foolish that people are comparing Barkley with Fitzpatrick. Barkley is the best and most complete QB from this draft. I simply don't see him lasting until #8th pick. Arizona or Cleveland will be all over him before us.

He'll be better than Fitz after a training camp and a few starts.

Folks just gotta get stop getting woodies over USC QBs. Any qb lining up under center at USC is hyped to the max no matter what. It doesn't matter who it is or how bad they really suck. Peete, Hayden, Marinovich, Johnson, Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez. For all their hype, none of them have accomplished much. And, Casell, although a backup at USC, did ok for one season in NE in relief of Brady... being highly managed, but melted like a snowball in August when he got a starting job... kinda like Rob Johnson.

Fast forward to yesterday when Barkley got undressed by Mooch at the chalkboard... clear indication he knows all the things to say but can't deliver a whole lot when put on the spot.

Can anyone one really see a california surfer boy actully suiting up in Buffalo in November... let alone December & January and firing pass after pass into 30 mile an hour winds while its snowing?

I mean really... how can we make this stupid fantasy end.

Can anyone one really see a california surfer boy actully suiting up in Buffalo in November... let alone December & January and firing pass after pass into 30 mile an hour winds while its snowing?

I mean really... how can we make this stupid fantasy end.

Not sure why this hatred for Barkley. Barkley himself quoted that he has never surfed in life. Let us first play some games in December that count before worrying about games in January.

Not sure why this hatred for Barkley. Barkley himself quoted that he has never surfed in life. Let us first play some games in December that count before worrying about games in January.

Apparently playing at USC leads to some genetic modification that renders one incapable of playing QB in the NFL. It has nothing to do with the coach, offensive system, or individual under center. It's some other factor that science hasn't been able to identify yet, but guys who forget or ignore the fact that Carson Palmer was a premier NFL QB have.

Personally I think the Colts were tards for taking Luck. Do you realize it had been almost 30 years since a viable NFL QB came out of Stanford? Coincidence? Luck was obviously the next Trent Edwards.

Barkley being doomed in the NFL because he went to California has no statistical validity. Every player is a unique set of talent, and will succeed or fail in the NFL with as much of a statistical chance as any other QB. It's all about the individual. I say Barkley should be Buffalo's #1 target in the draft. After him I'd wait till the second, or trade back up to get a guy like Wilson.

Living in SoCal, I get to see a ton of these Southern Cal guys in college. I liked Sanchez much more than Barkley coming out of college, but Barkley should have more of an impact in the pros than a guy like Leinert did. I'm less concerned with Barkley's arm strength than I am with his leadership/mental fortitude qualities. He was the undisputed leader of the preseason #1 team in the country and the best he could do was lead them to a 7-4 record. And three of his worst performances came on the biggest stages (Stanford, Oregon and the rivalry game against UCLA). Still, he's polished and throws an accurate ball so I think Barkley could step in and be an improvement over Fitzpatrick, but I don't view him as an elite guy you want to hang your hat on for the next ten years.