Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Pettine selection as DC for a few reasons and I've heard a lot of positives about the hire, but I tried to find some truth to the talks about it being more Rex's D than Pettine's. I came across an article in the NY Daily News that stated the following:

"Pettine and Ryan have been a successful team for years, finishing first, third, fifth and eighth in total defense in the past four years. Pettine became the primary play-caller through the years".

What concerns me is that their D got worse as Pettine's authority/play-calling became more prevalent. I know a case can be made that Revis went down early this past year and that some of their players are past their prime, but is this a true indication of Pettine rather than the bluster we've heard to date about how stout "his" D was in NY?

Is this quote from Damien Woody an indication that we'll draft another CB early?

"The Jets have been masters of the “overload blitz,” in which they send more rushers on one edge of the offensive line than can be blocked. While New York has ranked among the top 10 in sacks only once in the past four years, it has excelled at creating pressure and forcing the quarterback to unload quickly for measly gains underneath the coverage.

“If you want to know the key to that defense, it’s the secondary,” Woody said. “If those guys can cover, it allows Mike Pettine to draw those exotic blitzes. That’s one thing you really haven’t seen from Buffalo. It hasn’t been an exotic-type blitz team. That’s what you’re going to see out of Buffalo, but you need guys who can cover.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130110/SPORTS/130119968/two-bills-drive

Is this quote from Damien Woody an indication that we'll draft another CB early?

"The Jets have been masters of the “overload blitz,” in which they send more rushers on one edge of the offensive line than can be blocked. While New York has ranked among the top 10 in sacks only once in the past four years, it has excelled at creating pressure and forcing the quarterback to unload quickly for measly gains underneath the coverage.

“If you want to know the key to that defense, it’s the secondary,” Woody said. “If those guys can cover, it allows Mike Pettine to draw those exotic blitzes. That’s one thing you really haven’t seen from Buffalo. It hasn’t been an exotic-type blitz team. That’s what you’re going to see out of Buffalo, but you need guys who can cover.”

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

When coach after GM after former player after coach after GM insists you can never have enough DBs, this should come as no surprise to anyone other than Bill from NYC.

Any good CB's in FA?

A rough list of who is a UFA at CB.

Aqib Talib

Brent Grimes

Sean Smith

Chris Houston

Cary Williams

Derek Cox

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

E.J. Biggers

Mike Jenkins

Bradley Fletcher

Keenan Lewis

Sheldon Brown

Quentin Jammer

Brice McCain

Leodis McKelvin

Tony Carter

Terence Newman

Kyle Arrington

Tracy Porter

Antoine Cason

Rashean Mathis

Jacob Lacey

Pacman Jones

Jerraud Powers

Joselio Hanson

Darius Butler

Captain Munnerlyn

Stanford Routt

Marcus Trufant

Leigh Bodden

Chris Owens

Shawntae Spencer

Kelvin Hayden

William Middleton

Pat Lee

Cedric Griffin

Greg Toler

D.J. Moore

Michael Adams

Drayton Florence

Ryan Mouton

Zackary Bowman

Michael Coe

Alan Ball

Will Allen

Drew Coleman

Alphonso Smith

Chris Carr

Chris Johnson

Still not a done deal?

Who are you, Sal Maiorana? Is this was any more widely reported somebody would be calling to tell you personally. The Bills haven't scheduled a news conference, but there's no reason to believe it isn't a done deal.

Just my opinion, but I think due to the fact that Hackett hasn't been officially announced either, Marrone is waiting to get his entire staff in place (coordinators + assistants) before he announces them in one big group.

That makes sense. I didn't catch that Hackett hadn't been announced yet, frankly. I've just looked for the last day and seen nothing other than Mort's tweet referenced, then eventually other people saying "multiple sources indicate" for the Pettine hire.

Just my opinion, but I think due to the fact that Hackett hasn't been officially announced either, Marrone is waiting to get his entire staff in place (coordinators + assistants) before he announces them in one big group.

Based upon what Marrone said during his introductory press conference, this does make perfect sense. The coordinators are not the "stars" -- it's all about the entire staff "bleeding Bills blue."

A rough list of who is a UFA at CB.

Aqib Talib

Brent Grimes

Sean Smith

Chris Houston

Cary Williams

Derek Cox

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

E.J. Biggers

Mike Jenkins

Bradley Fletcher

Keenan Lewis

Sheldon Brown

Quentin Jammer

Brice McCain

Leodis McKelvin

Tony Carter

Terence Newman

Kyle Arrington

Tracy Porter

Antoine Cason

Rashean Mathis

Jacob Lacey

Pacman Jones

Jerraud Powers

Joselio Hanson

Darius Butler

Captain Munnerlyn

Stanford Routt

Marcus Trufant

Leigh Bodden

Chris Owens

Shawntae Spencer

Kelvin Hayden

William Middleton

Pat Lee

Cedric Griffin

Greg Toler

D.J. Moore

Michael Adams

Drayton Florence

Ryan Mouton

Zackary Bowman

Michael Coe

Alan Ball

Will Allen

Drew Coleman

Alphonso Smith

Chris Carr

Chris Johnson

That's a long list of players :)

And just in case people don't believe you:

http://www.buffalobi...96-fbcad28028d8

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

The #Bills formally announce the hirings of Pettine and Hackett as coordinators....and I'm the BATMAN!

Actually this guy is even better!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just came here to link that interview video. LOTS of good stuff in there. LOTS.

I hope everyone on this board clicks and listens; it might be an end to the hand-wringing over whether we're a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

One thing that strikes me, is that our three new coaches all sound really, really articulate and sharp. Not your father's Bills.

“I just know what our system is going to bring to the table. I think the fans will be excited about it because we’re going to be high energy and we are going to be an attacking style of defense. We’re going to dictate to the offense. We’re not going to sit back and let offenses dictate to us, so if you’re going beat us it’s because you’ve taken our best punch.”

That's all I need to hear. OC still scares me though.

“I just know what our system is going to bring to the table. I think the fans will be excited about it because we’re going to be high energy and we are going to be an attacking style of defense. We’re going to dictate to the offense. We’re not going to sit back and let offenses dictate to us, so if you’re going beat us it’s because you’ve taken our best punch.”

That's all I need to hear. OC still scares me though.

One of the interesting things about both Hackett and Pettine is that they are each sons of football coaches.

I am feeling pretty good about our coaching staff right now.

I hope everyone on this board clicks and listens; it might be an end to the hand-wringing over whether we're a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

One thing that strikes me, is that our three new coaches all sound really, really articulate and sharp. Not your father's Bills.

Speaking of... Another thing I noticed and liked was that both of our Coordinators are sons of successful coaches. I know it doesnt mean much, but I like that these guys are "Football Life" type guys.

If this comment was already made, my bad.

So I knew I recognized Mike Pettine, I couldn't place where. Now I do. He is from North Penn High School, locally here outside of Philly. Our new D coordinator was the coach of North Penn when ESPN ran an unusual special about a high school football team for one season. That season was North Penn here outside of Philly, and Mike P was the coach. It was a great show. Awesome. North Penn High School is an awesome program as well. Some one should look up that show on youtube or something.

I hate that too. however, I believe the Jets play multiple fronts with both 3 and 4 linemen. The biggest hope is that they move Mario around more. I believe he was averaging a sack a game in Wade's defense before he got hurt.

I agree. With Mario we can move around and show both 3 man and 4 man fronts. It would be a little upsetting if we had been drafting LB's built for a 4-3 but fortunately our LB's are built for NCAA Division 3 football. Our current talent should translate well for what he is accustom too. And could he make Gilmore the shut down corner we want him to be?

Edited by XXL Franchize

If this comment was already made, my bad.

So I knew I recognized Mike Pettine, I couldn't place where. Now I do. He is from North Penn High School, locally here outside of Philly. Our new D coordinator was the coach of North Penn when ESPN ran an unusual special about a high school football team for one season. That season was North Penn here outside of Philly, and Mike P was the coach. It was a great show. Awesome. North Penn High School is an awesome program as well. Some one should look up that show on youtube or something.

Found it. the full documentary is awesome. The attached video is for 7 minutes:

Haven't listened to the interview yet, but read most of the quotes. Very enthused by what I've seen. My reservations about Pettine were 1.) How much of the D was run by Rex Ryan, and 2.) Is he a 3-4 guy? Because if so, that sets us back.

#1 won't be answered until we see the D in games, so I won't worry about it till then. But I'm definitely not worried about #2 after Pettine's comments. I feel pretty good about this hire. Pettine has been able to learn from a lot of greats, and hopefully he's ready to come into his own.

Then they'll have cucumber sandwiches and tea with the media. The servers will wear white gloves.

It's gonna be great!

good start - sounds like what wed expect. i look forward to hearing about/seeing its execution.

Whose execution? Edwards? Wanny? They should cancel the tea if there's gonna be blood.

So I knew I recognized Mike Pettine, I couldn't place where. Now I do.

Yes we know. He's a dead ringer for Jimmy Spagnola.

Is he a 3-4 guy? Because if so, that sets us back.

I've kinda been playing wacka mole with this point but if Wade Phillips, Dom Capers, and Mike Nolan can successfully transition a team from the 4-3 to the 3-4 in one offseason, why can't Pettine?

What concerns me is that their D got worse as Pettine's authority/play-calling became more prevalent. I know a case can be made that Revis went down early this past year and that some of their players are past their prime, but is this a true indication of Pettine rather than the bluster we've heard to date about how stout "his" D was in NY?

When your offense cannot stay on the field and give good field positions to the opponents, you cannot expect your defense to bail you out all the time (The same story applies to the Bills too).

I had posted a link earlier in this thread that it Pettine's "system" is actually predicated around the players he has at his disposal. I think good DC's in today's NFL play a hybrid system that is based around their core personnel and adjusts to the situation on the ground.

I like the Pettine hire...a lot. Here's hoping he turns out to be a super aggressive version of Wade.