Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dareus better be in much better shape come July! Good job by Marrone so far.

well now, don't we want "fat" Darius if he is to be a nose tackle?

On a side note. I read somewhere, (maybe my dad talking about it: he's a jests fan) but the jets have gone to a lot of four man fronts in the last two years. Still a base 34, but I don't think that's all he knows.

I can guess what the response will be, but can Torrell Troupe be dusted off to play over the nose or are we starting from scratch? It may change our draft strategy to get the D-line right. I dunno if Kyle Williams is a fit for that style defense.

I would guess Kelsay and Kyle Moore are a bad fits. Man, we need a lot of LBs.

fwiw Kyle Williams had his best season in 2010 lined up as the nt for the first year of the 34.

Am I out of line or way off base in thinking that perhaps Pettine does not particularly like Rex?

I'm likely wrong.....but reading between the lines....

I read between the lines and came away that he wanted to distance himself from the circus that is the ny jets. (that's my cynical view)

I read between the lines and think he saw an opportunity to not just be Ryan's lap dog and wanted to make a name for himself. (my optimist view)

Dareus better be in much better shape come July! Good job by Marrone so far.

On a side note. I read somewhere, (maybe my dad talking about it: he's a jests fan) but the jets have gone to a lot of four man fronts in the last two years. Still a base 34, but I don't think that's all he knows.

Dareus played end in the 34 at Bama.

Your friend is correct though the jets ran a lot of multiple fronts - as did SU this year.

Devito is good but do we have room for more on the dline? Pace and smith although not world beaters are upgrades to merriman and Williams.

Short answer is YES. Guys like Sp. Johnson and Kelsay, and to a lesser extent Kyle Moore, don't have the body types or skill sets to have a true place in the 3-4/46 defense. They're true 4-3 DT/DE's. On the other hand, Mario played in a 4-3 and 3-4 in Houston, and Anderson flourished in Belicheat's hybrid D in NE, so they should be OK. Carrington has that perfect body type at 6'5 where he can bulk up a bit, probably to about 300-305, and be a 3-4 DE. Same with Dareus. Or you sign Devito as a DE and hope Dareus/Williams can hold the NT position down.

Lets just say for sake of argument the rest of Bills players did not exactly take to mario last year and thought he always got his way/special treatment etc.

Best way to set a new tone/culture might be to say "Mario, I know you want to end in a 4-3, but we be a playing a 3-4 (with variations) and that is just the way is going to be".

Buy you instant credibility with rest of team or am i watching to many sports movies?

definitely possible.

hell, mario might not be a long term piece here but its something worth noting.

hell, mario might love it and not even realize it yet.

I really couldn't have asked for more since the end of the season! I LOVE what the Bills have done! Marrone was a very good hire in many ways. I understand and support the whole O.C. hire - since Marrone's the one who'll be running the offense - at least it'll be HIS offense - he's going to want someone who knows it. I think that'll translate fine into the NFL, and actually may help us since we won't be predictable right off.

But, to then decisively go after Petine, that tells me Marrone knows a good defense when he sees it, and he wants the Bills defense to have that Jets flair! I LOVE IT!!!! I love that our defense is going to be better, while at the same time it makes our division rival weaker! I couldn't be happier if we'd of hired Jon Gruden - really. And, I'm beginning to think this is a better overall move than if they'd of brought in Chip Kelly. I just really feel good about all of it so far. It feels like the Bills are, finally, going to be different. It feels like we're moving out towards the front line, like we're a NEW, YOUNG, HUNGRY organization.

I don't think we'll have trouble luring F.A.'s here anymore, either. With the players we already have on Defense, and the Coordinator... I can't wait for the rest of the offseason to unfold!

Nice hire. very nice.

But do the Bills have the LBs to run the 46? The secondary? Thats going to be tough.

I agree. We do not yet have the all the LB's for this. Bradem, may work with it, but Moats? two guys I would retain right away would be Byrd and Merriman. Holy crap. Merriman has to be licking his chops. If his speed is there he will be a perfect fit. but the interior LB's and the DB's have to be in place.

I can guess what the response will be, but can Torrell Troupe be dusted off to play over the nose or are we starting from scratch? It may change our draft strategy to get the D-line right. I dunno if Kyle Williams is a fit for that style defense.

I would guess Kelsay and Kyle Moore are a bad fits. Man, we need a lot of LBs.

Moore can play lb.

I'm quite happy about this hire. I think most defenses are kind of hybrids of 3-4/4-3 these days so hopefully there is not an overhaul of scheme. My initial reaction to this hire is positive. I'm not sure about his OC hire, but hopefully Marrone's offensive accumen can help guide that side. My only concern is Pettine was uner Rex Ryan so, I don't know who to credit for their defense but I am excited. I also just read that the defensive backs coach is coming with him from the Jets. This is the guy who had Revis and Cromartie under his tutelage. Let's see if he can work some magic on Aaron Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Brooks and McKelvin (I want us to resign him).