Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

Moore can play lb.

The only thing he was good at was rushing the passer, and it wasn't as a speed rusher. How do you seem him as a fit for the 46/3-4 LB role?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely possible.

hell, mario might not be a long term piece here but its something worth noting.

hell, mario might love it and not even realize it yet.

It's been pointed out before but, Mario played 3-4 LB his last year in houston... had 5 sacks in 5 games before being hurt.

I still like the Kyle williams as a nose tackle in the 3-4. He had a little Jay Ratliff in him, as a penetrator blowing up the blocking schemes in the backfield. Dareus would need to drop lbs to play end, and mario flexing with carrington at end and linebacker in pass rushing situations.

The problem is that we have lousy linebackers, and now we would need even more linebackers to cover. I think sheppard fits into a 3-4 better though, as does Moats (if we keep him, which we probably won't).

It's been pointed out before but, Mario played 3-4 LB his last year in houston... had 5 sacks in 5 games before being hurt.

and i pointed out he left looking at exclusively at 43 teams and wanted his side on the line promised - he may back off that but it gave the impression he wasnt a fan of moving around. hes done it well, but he may not be happy currently was all i was saying.

and i pointed out he left looking at exclusively at 43 teams and wanted his side on the line promised - he may back off that but it gave the impression he wasnt a fan of moving around. hes done it well, but he may not be happy currently was all i was saying.

Cool...

Love this hire but please tell me this doesnt mean Mario playing LB.

Also, I noticed that Marrone hasnt named an assistant HC yet.

Heaven forbid Mario play a position (3-4 OLB) where he got 5 sacks in 5 games in 2011!!

Why should he name anyone assistant HC?

I think too much is made of 3-4 vs. 4-3. In the end he'll have his hand down more than he'll be standing up. JJ Watt just goes to show you that the 3-4 end isn't the same position it used to be.

Pettine must really think the talent level is high on the Bills defense (which it should be). He is likely only going to be here a couple years and then get a HC job, which is his goal. He obviously thought that this was the best and quickest route there, and having a young offensive minded HC, he will get a lot of credit for the Bills Defensive success. I think it's pretty clear we have some talent there with Mario, Dareus, Kyle, Gilmore and Byrd (if he re-signs, which probably is slightly more likely now).

I think too much is made of 3-4 vs. 4-3. In the end he'll have his hand down more than he'll be standing up. JJ Watt just goes to show you that the 3-4 end isn't the same position it used to be.

tell that to the man that sought out the position, not me. i was just passing along a reminder that this was part of what he prioritized in his free agent negotiations. ive seen him play well in a 34. it seems he wanted a set spot, and not to be moving around though. doesnt mean he cant move around, doesnt mean he will be a disruption, i was just noting it for the mario did it before and should love it crowd. he might not love it.

If Pettine's goal is to get a HC job soon, then if it happens it means the Bills' D is really good for the next 2-3 years. Then, they can promote from within (continuity) if he hires really good assistants (which he would have had to if the D is really good). That's an ideal scenario for a team.

As for the 3-4, 4-3, 46 defense talk, whatever. Get good players. As for the existing guys:

Kyle Williams can play the NT or DT in 4 man fronts

Dareus can play one DE in 3-4

Mark Anderson is a good fit 3-4 LB and can be a rush DE in 4 man front

Mario Williams can play wherever

Carrington came on so pick a spot for him and he'll be a decent rotation guy.

LBs is more of a challenge, Barnett would be an ILB in 3-4 and a 1-2 year stopgap

Sheppard is an unknown

Bradham? Looks like he can play, find the right spot for him

Do they now bring back Merriman?

Need to draft an OLB or get a free agent.

Bottom line - they have some decent pieces but need to add to them. They were 2-3 pieces short if they stayed in a 4-3, they are probably the same 2-3 pieces short in a 3-4.

If Pettine's goal is to get a HC job soon, then if it happens it means the Bills' D is really good for the next 2-3 years. Then, they can promote from within (continuity) if he hires really good assistants (which he would have had to if the D is really good). That's an ideal scenario for a team.

As for the 3-4, 4-3, 46 defense talk, whatever. Get good players. As for the existing guys:

Kyle Williams can play the NT or DT in 4 man fronts

Dareus can play one DE in 3-4

Mark Anderson is a good fit 3-4 LB and can be a rush DE in 4 man front

Mario Williams can play wherever

Carrington came on so pick a spot for him and he'll be a decent rotation guy.

LBs is more of a challenge, Barnett would be an ILB in 3-4 and a 1-2 year stopgap

Sheppard is an unknown

Bradham? Looks like he can play, find the right spot for him

Do they now bring back Merriman?

Need to draft an OLB or get a free agent.

Bottom line - they have some decent pieces but need to add to them. They were 2-3 pieces short if they stayed in a 4-3, they are probably the same 2-3 pieces short in a 3-4.

No they are 1-2 pieces short for a 3-4 as opposed to the 2-3 short for the 4-3 they tried to run, check your own list.

The difference is we'd rather have Carrington on the field starting in the base package than any of the "NFL players" currently lining up at LB. 3-4 base lets the Bills do that, 4-3 base does not.

(This is possible assuming Anderson can play OLB in a 3-4.)

Edited by BobChalmers