Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know....exciting. I can see quite a few players let go based on these hires: they are bringing in new blood at the top levels of the organization. That has to convert to new players on the field.

What players are you thinking of?

Edited by Dibs

I can guess what the response will be, but can Torrell Troupe be dusted off to play over the nose or are we starting from scratch? It may change our draft strategy to get the D-line right. I dunno if Kyle Williams is a fit for that style defense.

I would guess Kelsay and Kyle Moore are a bad fits. Man, we need a lot of LBs.

Edited by JPS

I can guess what the response will be, but can Torrell Troupe be dusted off to play over the nose or are we starting from scratch? It may change our draft strategy to get the D-line right. I dunno if Kyle Williams is a fit for that style defense.

Troupe has a bad back. Not sure if he will ever be healthy enough to play.

Love that he's familiar with not on the Jets, but also Brady and the Pats and the Fins. No need for him to "learn the division" he just needs to figure out how to get our guys to CRUSH their guys! :D

Nobody knows about 3-4, 4-3 or 46. Best part is that Pettine has coached variations of them all (see Jets of recent years). Not to mention Mario was seemingly adjusting very well in Wade's 3-4 in Houston. Enjoy the fact that we got a coach who will scheme based on his personnel and not spend the season trying to ram a square peg in a round hole.

the only worry with mario is he very much left the 34 and left looking exclusively at pretty basic 43 teams and allegedly went far enough to demand which side hed line up on.

only one guy, and he has rolled with changes before but it is something to keep an eye on

Like this because a) he's a good coach with proven good defenses...and B) the hire supposedly pisses off Rex Ryan (assuming Rex wan't blowing smoke about not wanting him to go to Buffalo).

Anyway- go Bills. Liking this offseason so far,

Anyone have a solid opinion on Kyle Williams & the predicted new D style?

A couple of FA LBs perhaps?

Love this hire. It was surely and obviously Marrone's most important hire. I like the fact they were aggressive and probably had to offer him a decent amount considering his hometown team has an opening for DC, too. I was underwhelmed by the Hackett idea but this is awesome, and takes a lot of the worry away if we know we are in good hands on defense and Marrone/Hackett on offense shouldn't be bad (knowing Marrone won't be calling plays and will oversee all three phases).

We're going to be aggressive, and play multiple fronts, and use a lot of different guys. I love this hire.

the only worry with mario is he very much left the 34 and left looking exclusively at pretty basic 43 teams and allegedly went far enough to demand which side hed line up on.

only one guy, and he has rolled with changes before but it is something to keep an eye on

Lets just say for sake of argument the rest of Bills players did not exactly take to mario last year and thought he always got his way/special treatment etc.

Best way to set a new tone/culture might be to say "Mario, I know you want to end in a 4-3, but we be a playing a 3-4 (with variations) and that is just the way is going to be".

Buy you instant credibility with rest of team or am i watching to many sports movies?

I went and checked out the Gang Green site - they're opinions are ranging from good riddance to anger as to why someone would pick the bills over the jets. They also have an interesting take (apparently from Mike Francesca) that Pettine was the "rat" that leaked a bunch of negative stories to Manish Mehta at ESPN New York Daily News.

Either way, Manish is also saying that the Jets DB coach is coming with Pettine...also that a bunch of Jets players (Pace, Smith, DeVito) may follow

Gang Green: http://forums.thegan...?t=76444&page=3

Mehta Twitter: https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Mike Pettine to be Bills' d-coordinator, per source. Jets' asst DBs coach Jim O'Neil set to join him in Buffalo. Story: http://nydn.us/WtglYI

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Don't be surprised if DL Mike DeVito, OLB Calvin Pace and S Eric Smith are Buffalo Bills next season. #nyj

Edited by TheLynchTrain