Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

Not sure if this has been discussed or not but I would bet that Pettine treats Gilmore like Revis, and just lets him cover the opponents best WR and leave the other 10 defenders against the 10 on O. This will help our DBs a lot, and while Gilmore is no Revis, he will get a lot better a lot faster, we play to his strengths, and it will keep Aaron Williams or the other DBs off the opponents best WR. Gilmore, probably by next year, should be a stud.

I also really hope we re-sign Leodis even though he has been so erratic at CB.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic hire. Great coach, angry Rex, insight into both the Jets and Patriots offense (who he would have to game plan against as Jets DC).

The Jets Defense didn't look that impressive when we played them last, and there were several games they looked pretty lethargic to me the past year. If that's because it was the last game or whatever, that doesn't say much for their defense's respect for their former DC does it? They laid down and died didn't they? A motivating coach wouldn't allow that to happen, nor would the DC if he's worth his salt! I just can't recall seeing players underachieving or laying down on Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Belicheck or any of the other "relevant" coaches or coordinators of past or present, so I can't say despite his reputation that Coach Pettine is a sure thing!!! (I just hope and pray that all these hires go well.. :worthy: )

Not sure if this has been discussed or not but I would bet that Pettine treats Gilmore like Revis, and just lets him cover the opponents best WR and leave the other 10 defenders against the 10 on O. This will help our DBs a lot, and while Gilmore is no Revis, he will get a lot better a lot faster, we play to his strengths, and it will keep Aaron Williams or the other DBs off the opponents best WR. Gilmore, probably by next year, should be a stud.

He's also bringing with him the Jets DB coach, so you may have something there...just a word of caution, not all DB's are created equal.

He's also bringing with him the Jets DB coach, so you may have something there...just a word of caution, not all DB's are created equal.

It's a good sign that Pettine thinks enough of O'Neil to immediately bring him over as a DB coach. But he was an assistant DB coach with the Jets. Dennis Thurman was the DB coach, and now the DC there. I think O'Neil mostly coached safeties. Again though, the fact Pettine, who knows coaches and coaching, brought him immediately. He obviously thinks high of O'Neil.

I'm likely setting myself up for a fall with this comment/question but....

I am the simplest of talent annalists....and I wasn't specifically looking for this in the games this season.....but it seemed to me that McKelvin played a much more consistent game at CB when he got the opportunity this season.

Am I way off base? ....and if not, might this mean that he could develop further into a legit cover CB?

Gilmores solid and he's only going to get better. No worries there, good pick. And no longer a rookie maybe the refs will stop PICKING on him. Its the other guys left - mckelvin, Williams, etc - where the new crew have the potential to make their mark.

My thoughts exactly. Gilmore's problem the second half of the season were untimely and too many penalties, many of which were marginal. By this year, or next year, he will get a good reputation around the league and most of those penalties just disappear. It's really a stupid and unfair way to officiate, but it's almost inarguable that is what NFL referees do.

I am the simplest of talent annalists....and I wasn't specifically looking for this in the games this season.....but it seemed to me that McKelvin played a much more consistent game at CB when he got the opportunity this season.

Am I way off base? ....and if not, might this mean that he could develop further into a legit cover CB?

Leodis was better than he was in the past as a DB, yes. Not great, but better. I think with good coaching he can still be a decent CB.

Dogs know best :thumbsup:

No, not at all but his ceiling as DB will be limited because of his instinct & ball skills. IMO, McKelvin has the athleticism but his role on this team will be special teams and possibly nickle package unless some coach can turn the light on.