Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but him knowing the entire Jets playbook can't hurt for 2 games next season.

They fired Sparano and likely will get a new QB so really no advantage to us on the defensive side. Perhaps will help our O

Edited by Fan in Chicago

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this hire, but Rex does cast a big shadow and I have noted how he would defer to Rex in interviews... this will be a learning curve for him in regards to being the man. In this regard it looks like he will be in good company with the new look Bills coaching staff. I am interested in the assistants he successfully lures to work with him - my personal hope is a new secondary coach because the Jets not only pick solid DBs, but have had a good track record of coaching them up.

Just speculation on my part as to why he would take the job, but perhaps Pettine is sick of the circus show the Jets have become and just wants to coach football. From his more personal interviews he seems to just have a genuine passion for the game.

If I were in his shoes I would be pretty tired of the distractions and bailing out that offense. At least with the Bills he has most of the tools he needs to be creative, it is currently a good mix of young talent and some steady vets. I think the players once they got a taste of success in his system would welcome the aggressive game planning, and our offense is a QB away from being pretty competetive. Gailey left a well coached solid offensive line, and players who know how to run much of the spread and West Coast schemes that Marrone employs while Marrone may have more of a tendency to ground and pound in bad weather or with a lead. Gailey also was masterful at employing a variety of screen plays to create space for Freddy and Spiller...they would have worked better if folks had some fear of our passing attack and defenses didn't cheat up into the box so much.

Folks make too much noise about schemes...every DC uses some 3-man fronts, 4-man fronts, or a 5-man front with the linebacker putting a hand down on the ground. Same with coverages, man to man, zone, zone-blitz, cover-1, cover-2, cover-3, and cover-4. The situation and personnel dictate the front and coverage scheme, and the success or failure of a DC is dictated by his ability to mold his game plan around and encorporating the schemes that work with the abilities of his players - ala Wade Phillips (although our nemesis NE spanked Houston pretty badly the first time around this year).

Foolishly, I find I am gaining some hope around this failing franchise - someone needs to slap me and wake me up:)

There is a certain security in going with the retread coaches and knowing that your team will at least be somewhat competetive and beat the beatable teams, but isn't that the formula the Bills have used the past 13 years. Why not throw the freaking dice and if the players are tired of the cycle of changes - do something about it and put in the effort needed to win for thier coaching staff.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

Love this hire. It was surely and obviously Marrone's most important hire. I like the fact they were aggressive and probably had to offer him a decent amount considering his hometown team has an opening for DC, too. I was underwhelmed by the Hackett idea but this is awesome, and takes a lot of the worry away if we know we are in good hands on defense and Marrone/Hackett on offense shouldn't be bad (knowing Marrone won't be calling plays and will oversee all three phases).

We're going to be aggressive, and play multiple fronts, and use a lot of different guys. I love this hire.

Absolutely. I realize Belichick is preparing for the playoffs, but he can't like what he's seeing in Buffalo. He has dismissed one rival (Jets), but the Dolphins and now Bills appear poised to step up.

Folks make too much noise about schemes...every DC uses some 3-man fronts, 4-man fronts, or a 5-man front with the linebacker putting a hand down on the ground. Same with coverages, man to man, zone, zone-blitz, cover-1, cover-2, cover-3, and cover-4. The situation and personnel dictate the front and coverage scheme, and the success or failure of a DC is dictated by his ability to mold his game plan around and encorporating the schemes that work with the abilities of his players - ala Wade Phillips (although our nemesis NE spanked Houston pretty badly the first time around this year).

Yes, yes, yes! Somebody please send a memo to the Buffalo media and fans on this board who can't seem to understand this and keep wringing their hands over whether the Bills are going to be a 3-4 or 4-3 team!

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/Jets-Talk-LIVE-Mike-Pettine/a30bf835-0e36-4499-ad87-20ba4a0b8845

A in-depth interview . Key statement -- "if NFL offenses come to the line and know what the defense is running you are in trouble"

Remember that this is at the end of a very long, chaotic season and the guy still has lots of enthusiasm and is very knowledgeable.

Absolutely. I realize Belichick is preparing for the playoffs, but he can't like what he's seeing in Buffalo. He has dismissed one rival (Jets), but the Dolphins and now Bills appear poised to step up.

Not really sure Belichick would be overly worried with the Bills moves thus far.

Bills hired a green HC, a green OC and a DC that will almost certainly run a defense that Belichick's Patriots haven't exactly struggled to score points against the last couple seasons.

I'm naming it. The 2013 Bills Poutine Defense.

I think once fans realize his name is pronounced "PET-in" it's going to be a mild disappointment :doh:

I am looking forward to seeing the Bills defense blitz again, that should be refreshing.

Not really sure Belichick would be overly worried with the Bills moves thus far.

Bills hired a green HC, a green OC and a DC that will almost certainly run a defense that Belichick's Patriots haven't exactly struggled to score points against the last couple seasons.

AND bringing an offense he won a Super Bowl against. I doubt he's concerned.

Here is what I said in another thread (before he was hired):

The Jets don't bring a lot of overload blitzes, despite what it looks like to the casual eye (and to the opposing linemen and quarterback). Quite to the contrary - they usually rush just four, or sometimes five (and often only two or three), but are experts at disguising which players are rushing. This causes confusion on the part of the opposing offense, and often times the Jets get to the QB while bringing only four or fewer rushers.

In my view this is the way to attack the modern NFL offense. You have more rookie QBs starting these days, and much less depth overall meaning that as the season wears on you are bound to have offensive linemen go down and be replaced by inexperienced subs. At the same time, teams are passing more. So if you can pressure the ball, and pressure the passing game in particular, you can create real havoc as the season wears on.

As opposed to the Cover-2, which can be beat every time by perfect execution and play design creating mismatches over the middle of the field (via slot receivers and athletic TEs). Guess who excels at this? The Patriots, whose offense was initially designed to beat the Cover-2 front run by Indiannapolis.

The Patriots routinely destroy Cover-2 teams. The Patriots have problems against pressure schemes like the Jets.

I want this hire to happen.

True, but this guy's D also beat the Cheatriots in the playoffs two years running. Short story, he knows what it takes to beat Brady because he's done it.