Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

You guys are a bunch of whiney trouts. I won't have a true opinion on Marrone until I see what he does for our team. Put it this way... He does NOT suck as a coach. Would we be better with a washed up coach that just got fired or a coach that's proven he can turn a losing team around. I'd go with the latter

I'm sorry, but this level-headedness of yours simply won't do.

Choose now: pitchforks or champagne...no middle ground allowed!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on the hire:

1] There is a lot to like about him, and not a lot to dislike, but a lot to be very concerned over because he hasn't done it yet.

2] He surely is ready for it. Was there any coach who got four different teams into him?

3] The big key is who he brings in a DC. That may tell a lot about his entire staff.

4] I read somewhere last week, although I don't know the source, that it was Whaley who was really behind the Marrone pick at the start.

5] I like the young, different offensive thinking, aggressive guy. That's the best part of it.

6] He definitely knows the NFL, from his pedigree, and it's obviously great that a lot of guys like him. The thing we don't know is do they just like him as a guy or as a football mind. Everyone loved Jauron and Chan, too, but it was because they were great guys more than great coaches.

7] It matters not what we think now. It matters how he does, probably the second half of his first season.

8] Nassib is an unknown to me, so I will reserve judgment on that.

9] This is not a marketing hire at all, and it's really foolish to think so.

10] Let's start building a staff!

Here is my wishlist for Head Coach:

1. N. Saban

2. C. Kelly

3. B. Arians

4. R. Horton

5. L. Smith

6. B. Kelly

7. D. O'Brien

8. D. Marrone

9. K. Whisenhunt

10. M. McCoy

I guess 8 out of ten ain't bad! I don't really know enough about the guy to be happy or angry. He was 8-5 at 'cuse, in a weak conference, but was considered a success by some considering where Syracuse has been pre-Marrone. He was New Orleans OC in name only, much like Joe Philbin with the Packers.

I'm indifferent. Don't know what to think. I'll take the wait and see approach before I blast this decision.

That's a good approach to take as a lot still has to shake out (Coordinators, QB, etc).

If you take the pipe-dreams off your list, we find that he was really your 4th best option. Interesting that you had him over Whis and McCoy. I dont disagree.

As an SU season ticket holder, I would be interested in any actual analysis you may have other than "he sucks". Any actual reasoning based on his performance you can add?

What concernes me is that he had 4 seasons in college; two of which were losing seasons. I know he was turning a program around, but one of those losing seasons was his third year. I think a fair interpreatation to this is he was not even an elite college coach.

Another thing that concerns me is he was't even calling plays in New orleans when he was there. In other words, he was the Curtis Modkins of the New Orleans Saints. Giving him credit for their offense (Sean Payton was really running it) would be similar to giving Curtis Modkins credit for Chan Gailey's offensive tenure.

I'm also concerned with with his NFL clout in being able to compile an elite staff.

With those reservations, I am encouraged that he was in the mix for most NFL jobs. People must be looking at him for a reason, however, it is not a very apparent one to fans from afar. I am also encouraged that he has the endorsement of Parcells and Payton however, I don't know how much stock to put in that. I'm not sure Parcells could turn most teams around today.

I have my doubts, but then again, when Atlanta hired Mike Smith it seemed like the worst hire ever. Only time will tell and I hope he turns out to be a good one.

Wow...ignore the facts much?

In the early 2000's, the Jets had one of the best OLs in football. NFL ranking in fewest sacks allowed from 2000-2005 (his tenure as OL coach):

1st

2nd

11th

11th

7th

Year after he left: 30th

Also, I love the fact that he gets no credit for having one of the best offenses in the NFL...I'm officially done discussing anything with someone that just throws FACTS out the window in favor or emotion.

Wait. The Bills gave up the least amount of sacks a year ago. So that means we had the best OL in the NFL? bahahahaha

Has the Saints offense diminished since he left?

As an SU season ticket holder, I would be interested in any actual analysis you may have other than "he sucks". Any actual reasoning based on his performance you can add?

Maybe because he didn't take a program from one of the worst in the country to the national championship in 4 years? I mean how could you not appreciate the job he did in taking a tem with no talent, no hopes of getting any REAL blue chip recruits, turning a no-name QB noone wanted named Nassib into a QB that broke all of McNabb's records, and going to bowl games twice?

What did you expect him to do? Go 11-0 and beat Alabama 50-0? Makes little sense...you act as if he had the best recruiting classes in the country and he was going 8-5...he was basically getting players the top schools turned down and winning with them...something has to be said for that...

What concernes me is that he had 4 seasons in college; two of which were losing seasons. I know he was turning a program around, but one of those losing seasons was his third year. I think a fair interpreatation to this is he was not even an elite college coach.

Another thing that concerns me is he was't even calling plays in New orleans when he was there. In other words, he was the Curtis Modkins of the New Orleans Saints. Giving him credit for their offense (Sean Payton was really running it) would be similar to giving Curtis Modkins credit for Chan Gailey's offensive tenure.

I'm also concerned with with his NFL clout in being able to compile an elite staff.

With those reservations, I am encouraged that he was in the mix for most NFL jobs. People must be looking at him for a reason, however, it is not a very apparent one to fans from afar. I am also encouraged that he has the endorsement of Parcells and Payton however, I don't know how much stock to put in that. I'm not sure Parcells could turn most teams around today.

I have my doubts, but then again, when Atlanta hired Mike Smith it seemed like the worst hire ever. Only time will tell and I hope he turns out to be a good one.

I have absolutely no problem with a measured level of skepticism...Marrone's hire does not excite me, but I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

I can hear the presser in my head: "this guy has won everywhere he's been..."

Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it.

More than I can say for some...

I believe this move will be beneficial in the drafting and quick development of a young quarterback, It seems to me that an "established, nfl experienced" coach would be more set in their own ways. Fresh young HC and a fresh young QB is just what we need,

Edited by wnyguy

Admittedly, I have not seen Doug Marrone coach a single football game. Living in NC (originally from Rochester) for the past 15 years creates an entirely different collegiate base market of television games. However, I have seen every Bills game over the past 13 years (Sunday Ticket) and lots of other NFL games including those coached by Wisenhunt and L. Smith. It was with relief that I read we did not hire a recently terminated NFL head coach such as these two gentlemen. They both are knowledgable, competent coaches and have forgotten more about football than I will ever know. However, it seems that they were unable make meaningful in game adjustments or off season adjustments to place their teams in a position to progress and win during a game, during a season, or from season to season. I readily agree that this is more true of Wisenhunt than of L. Smith, but L. Smith put an offense out there first coached by M. Martz that was a passing attack without the necessary WR's or O Lineman, then replaced M. Martz and still couldn't figure out a way to protect J. Cutler.

Personally, I thought a Greg Roman or Bruce Arians may have been the best candidates we could hire given their NFL experience but perhaps they didn't want anything to do with the job the Bills were offering.

Marrone is a distinctly different HC hire than Gailey (who I didn't like from the start), from Jauron (who caused me to almost give up on the team when he was hired), and even from Wade Phillips. Wade Phillips is a classic example of the "Peter Principle" in which excellence in a certain area gets you promoted to the level of your incompetence. Coach Phillips is a hall of fame level defensive coordinator, and a below average NFL HC.

I dont know what we have in Marrone, and none of us will know for sure until next season, but at least we are moving in a different direction with this hire than any we have tried over the past 13 years. It may fail miserably, it may succeed wildly, but at least we aren't repeating the time worn mistakes of the past 13 years.

Go BIlls!

I've been doing some research on Marrone, and am finding mostly positive feedback. To those who are dead set against the hire, could you please elaborate on your misgivings of the hire?

I've read that he:

Is very aggressive in his schemes, but conservative with his game day play calling

Has taken a historically bad SU program and taken it to two bowl wins

Has taken Nassib, a QB who after his freshman year was expected to be an UDFA at best, and helped him become a potential top 2 round pick

Has experience managing two running backs

Is not an NFL retread, but still has head coaching experience

Offensive minded coach, has been associated with success in the NFL as OC (New Orleans) and OL coach (Jets)

http://scottpitoniak.blogspot.com/2013/01/marrone-good-choice-to-rebuild-buffalo.html - Drew Brees told me that he “loved working with Marrone because Doug knew offenses inside and out, was meticulous in his preparation and was a great leader.”

He knows how to prevent a player from poisoning the locker room, Mike Williams at SU for example

This is not something the Bills do. The more I read about Marrone the more I'm liking.

Every Bills fan complaining right now should just jump off the ledge and end your misery already. Im not real excited initially either, but he has more experience than "just Syracuse".

Marrone has more Super Bowl rings than Lovie, and much more NFL experience and success than Kelly. Again, I know where a lot of you are coming from. He isnt the "name" that we wanted. But he has the experience and resume.

The most important parts are still who he hires as Coordinators, and how he handles the new incoming QB.

We'll see...

Where is this SB ring from?

Dammit! It's a Brandon marketing choice and and an homage to his alma mater...not to mention a cost effective choice. Did the "no stone unturned" crew ask who the frick his DC and OC are gonna be? Shite...I'm trying to find a positive here and I can't. Can anyone talk me off the cliff?

Every Bills fan complaining right now should just jump off the ledge and end your misery already. Im not real excited initially either, but he has more experience than "just Syracuse".

Marrone has more Super Bowl rings than Lovie, and much more NFL experience and success than Kelly. Again, I know where a lot of you are coming from. He isnt the "name" that we wanted. But he has the experience and resume.

The most important parts are still who he hires as Coordinators, and how he handles the new incoming QB.

We'll see...

Well said...

I've been doing some research on Marrone, and am finding mostly positive feedback. To those who are dead set against the hire, could you please elaborate on your misgivings of the hire?

"We watched him.....he's awful".................................lol

they want to be unhappy.

He was the Jets Oline coach from 2001-2005 the went on to the Sainrs. You don't get 5 nfl interviews on accident.

He has more nfl connection than most here think. He will put together a good staff.

He wasn't my first choice but I kinda like it. He is a firey in your face guy, just what we need.

I don't think he's coming as some are calling the "cheapest" option. He was being interviewed by 5 or 6 teams.

Also the Cleveland's backup plan crap is stupid. Last night they were saying the Browns might flat out choose him over Kelly.

This guy is super prepared from what I have seen. I honestly believe we made a good choice.

This

Dammit! It's a Brandon marketing choice and and an homage to his alma mater...not to mention a cost effective choice. Did the "no stone unturned" crew ask who the frick his DC and OC are gonna be? Shite...I'm trying to find a positive here and I can't. Can anyone talk me off the cliff?

LOL. I laughed at that too.

I guess he thought he "unturned every stone" in 6 days.

"We watched him.....he's awful".................................lol

they want to be unhappy.

And you want to be delusional.

I see A LOT of very upset optimists because the realists see that this was a truly horrible move.

And the funny thing is im USUALLY an optimistic. I supported Gailey from day 1. Jauron from day 1. Mularkey from day 1. Not this guy.

Now I feel a helluva lot better about your pessimism. ;)

you say that like its a bad thing....he sits on the bench behind Fitz for at least half of next season(depending on how Fitz plays) then watch him shine....Nassib is gonna be a star! Not only that but he will be the second player for Buffalo from the Great Valley area of the Philly 'burbs...Joe Devlin being the first!

Well boys, get ready to see Nassib as our starting QB.

LMAO Marrone has NO SB Ring... Saints won SB after they fired him... What is this great exp you speak of.. OL man for the Jets/Phins or maybe a OC asst? or was it his no playoffs during his OC yr or 2 .. Oh wait maybe it going 25-25 in a watered down Big East

So many clueless bills fans. "Wah, we didn't hire a coach with an NFL resume". "Wah, we didn't hire a HC that's been to the SB as the play caller". "Wah, we hired the cheapest guy".

Makes me ill. 75% of the people crying and whining have never even seen SU play. He's not the big name guy like lovie smith (lol@ people who wanted him). He turned around a bs program at SU. I don't know a whole lot about the guy. One thing I do know is, I don't know that he sucks. He's our HC. Back him up and hope for the best (while you expect the worst, I'm sure). Stop all this crying and whining. Kelly was never coming to buffalo. Lovie bores me. Whisenhunt hasn't been especially successful at grooming QBs. The only QBs he's been successful with was a hall of famer that led the coach to the SB. If you wanna talk about Gruden or Cowher, sure, i agree. I'd prefer them over Marrone. That wasn't happening. We have a good young coach that's motivated and has turned around a sorry team. Lets see if he can do it again. You've got my backing Coach Marrone