Kelly to front office?

BuffaloPride

Talked to a guy who works for the Bills today. Told me Jim Kelly will be getting a prominent front office position after the season finale. He believes they are laying the groundwork for a transfer of ownership. Asked about the rumors regarding Jon Gruden . He said he hasn't heard anything .

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Bills can't continue to live in the past and that this move will be criticized as trying to spray febreze on this turd of a franchise, but I would support this move.

Jim would bring an attitude of both accountability and winning that the team sorely lacks. He understands that games are won Monday to Saturday with study and hard work rather than just winging it on Sunday. He learned this the hard way from 1987-1990 and then reaped the benefits of this the next 5 years. While individuals on the current team get the importance of preparation, its not the whole team. The disclpline and work ethic to win doesn't permeate all 53 on the roster -- and it must to be able to win. For all the talk of hard work and being close -- this team doesn't have a winning attitude and focus. Jim would help like Elway helped the Broncos. Elway's work in Denver helped attract Peyton Manning -- Jim's work here will help build a winning culture that hasn't existed since Wade Phillips, John Butler (God rest his soul) and AJ Smith left. Again--its a move that appears cosmetic but I believe it will help.

I posted earlier in the year about giving this regime a pass for this year--I was hoping that the second half of the schedule would end like the season began last year. Instead I have seen a team fall apart -- there is no excuse and changes should be made. This one would be positive.

Edited by JoeF

If his new position placed him above Russ Brandon, I'd be all for it.

The only position that would do this is to give Jim a small equity stake in the franchise and name him chairman...I am all for that.

Mr. Wilson becomes chair-emeritus.

Jim's role is two-fold--First, with Littman, sifting through the groups who want to buy the franchise post Mr. Wilson's death and working with the NFL office to provide the best ownership group for the franchise to remain in Buffalo; Second, find the Bills a franchise QB. Send him on the road scouting -- have him lead the process. Other than that-- he becomes the ass-kicker when things aren't going well on the football side and the glad hander when things are going well.

Edited by JoeF

Kelly's going to bring "accountability", eh?

Anyway, Jim's a great guy but this, if true, sounds like an awkward and desperate move by the Bills. Jim isn't John Elway, let's just say. If they give him some PR position, fine. But does anyone really want to go from the current crew of (awful) decision makers to a guy who is an icon, not a creator of a football organization?

I smell Brandon all over this little gem if it ends up being true.

Season ticket sales go up after the team takes a major dump for the 13th consecutive season, and the third under the current GM/HC regime.

Well played Mr. Smithers, well played.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Anyway, Jim's a great guy but this, if true, sounds like an awkward and desperate move by the Bills. Jim isn't John Elway, let's just say. If they give him some PR position, fine. But does anyone really want to go from the current crew of (awful) decision makers to a guy who is an icon, not a creator of a football organization?

IMO, Kelly doesn't seem to me to have the credentials to bring success to the organization. He hasn't paid his dues in terms of working in an NFL front office for one thing and he doesn't have experience at the highest levels of business either (Elway is pretty successful away from the NFL I believe).

That said, we don't really know how he would do and it's certainly hard to believe that he'd do worse than Russ Brandon who is the Bills current CEO.

He brings some positives which we all admire which may or may not translate into success as an NFL exec.

But if Kelly's role was an ownership type thing where he has the ability to assemble a strong front office, we would judge it by who he is able to hire.

IMO, Kelly doesn't seem to me to have the credentials to bring success to the organization. He hasn't paid his dues in terms of working in an NFL front office for one thing and he doesn't have experience at the highest levels of business either (Elway is pretty successful away from the NFL I believe).

^^^ This. Anything more than a figurehead type of position, and as I've stated before, I'd be worried about Kelly becoming the next Larry Quinn. For those not in Buffalo or who don't follow the Sabres, Quinn went from being a construction manager on the arena project, to a meddling FO wannabe, to being given a minority stake in the franchise, to cashing in that stake and walking away a wealthy man.

Be scared Bills fans of any Kelly appointment. Be very scared.

I understand the critcism and skepticism. Its yet another attempt to again spray febreze on this turd.

The goal is two-fold -- make the franchise attractive to a buyer who will keep it in Buffalo -- Jim is one of the best assets the Bills have to do this. Second is to find a franchise QB -- that we haven't had for now almost 20 freaking years. There is some crazy logic to having the last guy who held the role help find one..

I wonder if Nix and crew will all be canned and Jimbo will be brought in as a consultant to help Russ/Ralph hire a new person to run the football side of the business. Jim might be able to persuade higher profile candidates to interview for the job than Russ could on his own.

I think this may explain the Thurman tweet. I can't say I'm Ecstatic but I'm happy about this move. Getting Kelly into the front office can only help if/when he has an ownership group ready to buy. Let's hope we can pinpoint this move as THE move that got the Bills turned around!

If nothing else, I've had a few good chuckles out of this thread. I'll have to remember the Febreze metaphor.

deep down it still smells the same Rubes......unless of course you flush the turd -- but not sure what flushing looks like in this case.....

Jim Kelly has a lot of positive attributes. He was smart enough to tell the politicians he didn't want to run for office. Right there, I think that means he is smart enough to help the front office. Seriously again, the guy is community minded, has the respect of the area popluation. Have no idea what he might do there, but don't feel bad at all if they bring him on board. Maybe to little of that done in the past. I recall Jerry 'Butler was on staff for a while.....I think that was also a front office job, but he is long gone, haven't heard his name in a while.

It's always all criticism & skepticism no matter what. What exactly do they have to do? What would make all the bitchers happy?

People going to B word no matter who buys the team or who runs it. Some people just love to stir **** up because they can.

Does Kelly have any business experience ? What has he done since he retired in '96 ? This is similiar to hiring Nix to be a rookie GM at the age of 70.

He has run Hunter's Hope Foundation, raised millions for research on childhood disease and testing, worked with numerous companies to raise money, worked with numerous different govt agencies and politicians to change laws regarding screening. Worked with numerous other charities, lobbyist, celebrities, etc.

Not sure if any of this helps him to run the Bills but he does have a passion for Buffalo, a passion for football, a passion for the Bills and endless number of connections that he could leverage to be successful.

I'd be thrilled to have Jim involved in the day to day running of the football side of the team.

He has run Hunter's Hope Foundation, raised millions for research on childhood disease and testing, worked with numerous companies to raise money, worked with numerous different govt agencies and politicians to change laws regarding screening. Worked with numerous other charities, lobbyist, celebrities, etc.

Not sure if any of this helps him to run the Bills but he does have a passion for Buffalo, a passion for football, a passion for the Bills and endless number of connections that he could leverage to be successful.

I'd be thrilled to have Jim involved in the day to day running of the football side of the team.

i agree, compared to what we have had recently, how could it be any worse? jimbo could work, sure there are reasons why he he may not work, but so what!, give it a shot.. elway is being hailed as a genius, that works when you get a chance to deal for manning.. the bills were never in that position.. Edited by dwight in philly

All the Broncos had to do was hire John Elway and they've made the playoffs 2 years running. ;)

Well, that and signing Peyton Manning who is having another excellent season. Elway is EVP of Football Ops in Denver, not the de facto GM. Still, Pat Bowlen made that move in the wake of Josh McDaniels's 2 terrible seasons.

One thing I will say, Kelly hates to lose!

After 13 seasons...If true...at least that's a start in the right direction

Kelly wouldn't sign with this organization initially because of the losing tradition that was here. Polian had to convince him that this organization was committed to winning before he signed. Kelly does hate losing. I wonder, if Kelly is involved, might Bill Polian also be in the conversation?

i've never been a huge kelly fan outside of his play on the field for the Bills. He seems to me to be a glorified meathead, Ben Roethlisberger-ish...that said, he has been a great ambassador for the Bills and for Buffalo when he could have easily gone anywhere else...as long as he doesn't have any important role and can lend some on-field advice...and if he has a group in place to make a run at ownership...good for all of us...

I hear what you're saying...But if it is (in fact) a bridge to the new Organization, which Jim is to be a big part of from all accounts, it was going to happen anyway...So...It is what it is... B-)

All the Broncos had to do was hire John Elway and they've made the playoffs 2 years running. ;)

Well, that and signing Peyton Manning who is having another excellent season. Elway is EVP of Football Ops in Denver, not the de facto GM. Still, Pat Bowlen made that move in the wake of Josh McDaniels's 2 terrible seasons.

And Elway is a Stanford man. He's a lot smarter and more qualified for a front office job than Kelly.