Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

There is one thing that does work in Gruden's favor, if (by some miraculous reason) we can lure him to Buffalo;

He's a name. I don't think reputable free agents will be in a hurry to come play for this regime. He has earned some respect around the league, and I'll betcha he could play a significant role in luring some 'big names' to Buffalo.

We need some people not to 'rebuild' this team, but to upgrade it. As noted earlier in the thread, there are some key pieces in place; OL, DL, Stevie, Spiller, etc. We have plenty of 'depth' players, which leads me to conclude that this year would be a good year to trade up in the draft.

We desperately need one WR, one LB, and a QB. Get 2 in the draft (high picks, from trading up), that can be inserted as quality starters. Get the remaining position of need filled in free agency (see aforementioned comment about Gruden hopefully helping us lure in a quality player or two).

We might be having a bad year, but change at HC (somebody who can use Spiller wisely, etc), plus the right off-season moves, and I think the Bills are onto something.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one thing that does work in Gruden's favor, if (by some miraculous reason) we can lure him to Buffalo;

He's a name. I don't think reputable free agents will be in a hurry to come play for this regime. He has earned some respect around the league, and I'll betcha he could play a significant role in luring some 'big names' to Buffalo.

We need some people not to 'rebuild' this team, but to upgrade it. As noted earlier in the thread, there are some key pieces in place; OL, DL, Stevie, Spiller, etc. We have plenty of 'depth' players, which leads me to conclude that this year would be a good year to trade up in the draft.

We desperately need one WR, one LB, and a QB. Get 2 in the draft (high picks, from trading up), that can be inserted as quality starters. Get the remaining position of need filled in free agency (see aforementioned comment about Gruden hopefully helping us lure in a quality player or two).

We might be having a bad year, but change at HC (somebody who can use Spiller wisely, etc), plus the right off-season moves, and I think the Bills are onto something.

Gruden knows how to pound the rock. He used to bring a piece of granite into the locker room.

Maybe so. That would worry me though, because Gruden might try to fix Fitz.

"23. Bills: An owner who hasn’t bought green bananas in 14 years could soon be cleaning house.

25. Titans: Why do we have a feeling that Bud Adams and Ralph Wilson will soon be engaged in a tug-o-war for Jon Gruden?"

Gruden is smarter than that, this gives me hope that if we draft Barkley that he would be a fit even though Landry is still better.

and with the WCO we get to use a TE and FB :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: just think of all the yards spiller will get now.

man I can't wait for the season to be over, the players better mail it in so they can seal the deal on Chan's termination.

How does Chuckie like his QBs?

maybe even more than me :D

FWIW Gruden did say during a Monday night football game in early october this year that if he did get back into coachin that 3 teams would be of an interest to him...minny, SD, and Buffalo.

Forgot about that, but saw another thread about that on another board that reminded me

Well that rules out the Titans, although he might like Ponder, don't think he would work well with rivers

we did lure Mario here, just saying.

Regarding luring Mario here;

I hear Kelly, Merriman, and a few others had a lot to do with that. This was before the present regime tarnished their reputation with complete ineptitude.

Sure about that?

They sucked the two previous years, one more wouldn't matter. I honestly believe it was the money.

You sound so sure. How do you know this?

You got me I was making it up - The Bills have never had a cap on coaching salaries its just that our head coaches happen to be the bottom 3 in the league and they can never identify who the best OC & DC are in the league - they just always seem to choose those OC & DC;s who are also among the very lowest paid in the league...

You got me I was making it up - The Bills have never had a cap on coaching salaries its just that our head coaches happen to be the bottom 3 in the league and they can never identify who the best OC & DC are in the league - they just always seem to choose those OC & DC;s who are also among the very lowest paid in the league...

Yes, you are making it up. You're making an assumption based on a history of bad coaching, but as far as I have ever heard, there has been no limits to any salary on the Bills. In fact, the only thing I've ever heard one way or the other is Buddy NIx saying he has never been given a cap to anything.

Yes, you are making it up. You're making an assumption based on a history of bad coaching, but as far as I have ever heard, there has been no limits to any salary on the Bills. In fact, the only thing I've ever heard one way or the other is Buddy NIx saying he has never been given a cap to anything.

Just a coincidence then that for the last decade The Bills head coaches have been the lowest paid and similar to coordinators..

How much do you think our current OC makes?? Better yet can you even name his name?

Yes, I can.

It's possible that Ralph doesn't like spending money on coaches and so limits their income. My only point is that as far as I know, there is absolutely no evidence to support that. So your post was an opinion stated as fact.

Yes, I can.

It's possible that Ralph doesn't like spending money on coaches and so limits their income. My only point is that as far as I know, there is absolutely no evidence to support that. So your post was an opinion stated as fact.

No evidence?? Chan Gailey may be the lowest paid coach in the league now as was his predecessor Dick Juaron - thats about 7 years of head coaching being among league's bottom 3 - coordinators under them are paid accordingly....

Wow!! My response is # 262, and the entire thread is based upon a so called rumor. Nothing in the previous 261 replies added any substance.

Sure would be nice someday to be talking about who the Bills would be playing in the first round of the playoffs. O those were days!

YE OLE has never been able to locate it on the interwebs, but there is a clip out there somewhere of Gruden gathering his team around the granite chanting "POUND THAT ROCK! " like a pack of crazed dogs.

you sure you arent thinking about that vikings boat party?

However, I stand by my point that Gruden would be in a better position to lure in FAs than our present crew....assuming they had the same amount of $ to play with.

Actually I'm kinda doubtful about this.

After Gruden left Tampa Bay, there were a lot of things said by players that indicated that he was not well-liked and that players didn't trust him.

Gruden in-and-of himself would not be a draw for free agents IMO.

No evidence?? Chan Gailey may be the lowest paid coach in the league now as was his predecessor Dick Juaron - thats about 7 years of head coaching being among league's bottom 3 - coordinators under them are paid accordingly....

You're making a lot of claims about the Bills underpaying Jauron and Gailey. However while Jauron's initial salary was low, it was rumored that his ill-fated extension was lucrative. There have been no reports about Gailey's compensation.

Also there were reports that the amounts offered to coaching candidates during the hiring cycle that culminated with Gailey were very high.

So all your claims are basically speculation and in no way based in fact.

Gruden is a ham. All the ESPN QB stories he does is over the top and goofy. Stay away from guys commenting on TV. I would rather them get a active coach who is younger and hungry. Pay goes along with performance incentives. Win and you get more money

Gruden is a ham. All the ESPN QB stories he does is over the top and goofy. Stay away from guys commenting on TV. I would rather them get a active coach who is younger and hungry. Pay goes along with performance incentives. Win and you get more money

Stay away from guys in the booth? Where was Marv before he came to BFLO? Oh, that is right... In the booth... ;-) :-P

It's not as if every commentator to go back into coaching wasn't successful. Parcells did TV work...he seemed to do ok when he went to New England.

I'm going on record as saying I do not want Gruden in Buffalo. I'd rather steal from the 49ers' coaching staff. Roman runs a run heavy, complex offense that I would love to see here. I wouldn't even mind Alex Smith to come along with him. 70% completion percentage is just what this offense needs. Limit the turnovers and keep the chains moving.

Edited by NoJustice

If you are John Gruden, why in the world would you take the Buffalo job.?

Crickets....

Not that I believe that this rumor is true in any way, BUT... I think we can ALL agree that when Buffalo is winning/contending, there might not be a better football job/atmosphere in the entire league. He may need to take a few lumps, but the upside to coaching here is tremendous...!

Not that I believe that this rumor is true in any way, BUT... I think we can ALL agree that when Buffalo is winning/contending, there might not be a better football job/atmosphere in the entire league. He may need to take a few lumps, but the upside to coaching here is tremendous...!

Based off of what? Absolutely nothing.

Based off of what? Absolutely nothing.

How old are you? I assume you don't know what it's like around that town when the Bills win...? When the Bills were perennial AFC powerhouses, Buffalo was a great place to be a fan, a player, a coach, etc. The networks did shows from here showcasing Buffalo, the city, etc. Even the cold ****ty weather was viewed as an amazing thing that opposing teams hated.. the shittier the weather, the crazier "Rich Stadium" was. Hell I was shirtless in January a few times myself watching playoff games...! "Based off of what"? Are you kidding me???

How old are you? I assume you don't know what it's like around that town when the Bills win...? When the Bills were perennial AFC powerhouses, Buffalo was a great place to be a fan, a player, a coach, etc. The networks did shows from here showcasing Buffalo, the city, etc. Even the cold ****ty weather was viewed as an amazing thing that opposing teams hated.. the shittier the weather, the crazier "Rich Stadium" was. Hell I was shirtless in January a few times myself watching playoff games...! "Based off of what"? Are you kidding me???

do you not think other cities are fun, especially when winning?

it was a unique experience for your individual fan experience, but i can believe (especially having spent time in other winning cities) that it is remotely unique.

Edited by NoSaint

do you not think other cities are fun, especially when winning?

it was a unique experience for your individual fan experience, but i can believe (especially having spent time in other winning cities) that it is remotely unique.

I'm sure all cities can "party it up and have fun" when winning. Buffalo just does it better. Is there something really that hard to understand here? I've been to 50% of the stadiums in the league, but only a handful come close to what Buffalo offers and I don't think any come close to matching that after 13 years of "much less than adequate" football. Really, not many cities live and die with their team as does Buffalo. Saying that, it IS a great place when you're winning and can be brutal when your not. These fans live and breathe the game wherein other cites its just another form of entertainment... that's really the point I'm trying to make.