Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

Well, he's already won elsewhere, so maybe the next step for some über-competitive types would be to go to a completely back-asswards situation and see if you can't turn it around. Kinda like Theo Epstein going to the Cubs. When you're young and you've already tasted success on the biggest stage, why not see if you can try it again with a bigger challenge?

Are you seriously comparing a job with the Chicago Cubs to one with the Buffalo Bills? Cubs are an iconic franchise in MLB, Bills are an after thought.....

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of car do you drive?

. Ford bronco white one

Are you seriously comparing a job with the Chicago Cubs to one with the Buffalo Bills? Cubs are an iconic franchise in MLB, Bills are an after thought.....

Two losers!

So while we're all waiting for the OP to come back and tell us his friend was playing a joke on him - here are my thoughts on Jon Gruden:

No thanks.

First, he's been out of the game for several years and I question how quickly he can get himself back into the rhythm of things. Remember, this was a guy who (supposedly) would work 18 hour days as a head coach. He's been enjoying a cush day job for ESPN since, and I question whether he can make the transition back.

Second, he runs a WC offense - you're talking a completely different scheme, with completely different player profiles than what the Bills now have on the roster. A total re-boot.

Third, Jon Gruden has never developed a rookie QB. Think about that for a moment. Never as in not one single time. He only succeeded with brainy vets (Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson). He was famous for stockpiling vet QBs who had been dumped by other teams, thinking he could salvage them. I believe Rob Johnson has a Superbowl ring because of Gruden. But he couldn't or wouldn't work with rookies, despite the B.S. persona we see on his ESPN show where he comes across as a jovial mentor. Shaun King says that Gruden ruined his career. So, I ask, is this the guy we want as our next head coach? Based on his history, if anything he'd try to salvage Fitz.

Fourth, Gruden was also famous for undermining his players. They by and large viewed him as a politician - he'd say one thing to one person, and the exact opposite to someone else. He divided his locker room in Tampa Bay to the point where it became absolutely toxic. He flirted with other job offers in Oakland constantly. He's a politician as much as he is a coach.

In sum: while I think this rumor is totally bogus, I would not want Gruden here.

I was told by another board member i owe all of you an explanation on this "gruden rumor" and why i have not responded.....

First....i work 3rd shift and im trying to support my family! I work mega overtime due to losing my home last year and all of our belongings! Im in financial hell from it!!

Second....as for this rumor....i have soo much more to do with my time then start nonsense bull ****!!! Im a bigger fan if this team then most of you! I wear a Bills shirt every sunday! Including off seasons! Im sick of losing like the rest of you! While i wont drop any names, my source about this "rumor" knows his football more then anyone on this board including me! He also has inside connections to the Bills! I will leave it at that! Ive never been lied to about anything when it comes to the Bills!

I stand by my "rumor" post 100%! Whether im right or wrong! If im wrong i will own up to it non like most here!

I hope thats good enough for you guys! Regardless if its true or not were all one big family! Have a Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year!

If you feel the need to ban me....then do what you gotta do!

Thanks!!

Tom

So while we're all waiting for the OP to come back and tell us his friend was playing a joke on him - here are my thoughts on Jon Gruden:

No thanks.

First, he's been out of the game for several years and I question how quickly he can get himself back into the rhythm of things. Remember, this was a guy who (supposedly) would work 18 hour days as a head coach. He's been enjoying a cush day job for ESPN since, and I question whether he can make the transition back.

Second, he runs a WC offense - you're talking a completely different scheme, with completely different player profiles than what the Bills now have on the roster. A total re-boot.

Third, Jon Gruden has never developed a rookie QB. Think about that for a moment. Never as in not one single time. He only succeeded with brainy vets (Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson). He was famous for stockpiling vet QBs who had been dumped by other teams, thinking he could salvage them. I believe Rob Johnson has a Superbowl ring because of Gruden. But he couldn't or wouldn't work with rookies, despite the B.S. persona we see on his ESPN show where he comes across as a jovial mentor. Shaun King says that Gruden ruined his career. So, I ask, is this the guy we want as our next head coach? Based on his history, if anything he'd try to salvage Fitz.

Fourth, Gruden was also famous for undermining his players. They by and large viewed him as a politician - he'd say one thing to one person, and the exact opposite to someone else. He divided his locker room in Tampa Bay to the point where it became absolutely toxic. He flirted with other job offers in Oakland constantly. He's a politician as much as he is a coach.

In sum: while I think this rumor is totally bogus, I would not want Gruden here.

I've got some counter points to your well thought out post...

1. The WC offense wouldn't require a total reboot. Our WRs are built for a short passing game, as we have almost no vertical threats. We'd need a QB, but we need a QB now anyways. And in the WCO, Spiller would pile up about a million yards from scrimmage running/receiving. Gruden woudl be salivating with all the ways he could use him. Look at what he did with guys liek Charlie Garner.

2. True, Gruden has famously struggled with rookie/young QBs. He expects a lot out of them. However, he's never had a high, top of the draft QB to work with. He's always had mid rounders, that, due their draft position, had limitations. Things might work better with a highly skilled young QB. Then again, they may not.

3. Tampa had lockerroom issues, but Gruden was able to bring them together for a short period of time and achieve success. I think the real deal with him is that he's got about a 5 year expiration date.

1. The WC offense wouldn't require a total reboot. Our WRs are built for a short passing game, as we have almost no vertical threats. We'd need a QB, but we need a QB now anyways. And in the WCO, Spiller would pile up about a million yards from scrimmage running/receiving. Gruden woudl be salivating with all the ways he could use him. Look at what he did with guys liek Charlie Garner.

2. True, Gruden has famously struggled with rookie/young QBs. He expects a lot out of them. However, he's never had a high, top of the draft QB to work with. He's always had mid rounders, that, due their draft position, had limitations. Things might work better with a highly skilled young QB. Then again, they may not.

3. Tampa had lockerroom issues, but Gruden was able to bring them together for a short period of time and achieve success. I think the real deal with him is that he's got about a 5 year expiration date.

I remember you being highly, highly critical of Gruden many years ago when he was about to be fired. Correct?

I think Barkley would be an excellent rookie QB for Gruden to work with. He's got plenty of limitations, but he's smart and will be able to pick up Gruden's system faster than anybody else in this draft.

Personally I'm not a fan of Gruden, but if the plan is to fire Gailey, I really don't think the Bill's will find anybody better. At very least, he brings a certain level of respectability. He'll likely be able to bring in very good assistants.

Edited by Faustus

If you really don't see the point I was trying to make and read it as "Bills = Cubs," then I'm not going to engage.

No thanks.

If you don't think Jon Gruden is a better HC than Chan Gailey, then there is no point in discussing it. Gruden has been watching film of every team in the league for several years now getting ready for his "cush" gig on ESPN. With him at the helm, I guarantee that we will neve lose because our team was "outcoached". Sheesh. Can't believe anyone would not believe this would be a good move and a step in the right direction.

No thanks.

Skipped around the thread and did not read all of the posts. Good points all around, though. Gruden would disrupt our locker room, where the guys have each others back and have shown that consistently. In Tampa he pitted players against each other and more importantly destroyed QB's.

His getting back in to the game might be a bit of a question - not sure he had much to lose - though he was not horrible. He won games with high powered offenses in a time where offenses ruled the NFL.

I'd take his brother Jay before I would John. Jay was the better athlete and coach since the start.

Edited by jboyst62

I was told by another board member i owe all of you an explanation on this "gruden rumor" and why i have not responded.....

First....i work 3rd shift and im trying to support my family! I work mega overtime due to losing my home last year and all of our belongings! Im in financial hell from it!!

Second....as for this rumor....i have soo much more to do with my time then start nonsense bull ****!!! Im a bigger fan if this team then most of you! I wear a Bills shirt every sunday! Including off seasons! Im sick of losing like the rest of you! While i wont drop any names, my source about this "rumor" knows his football more then anyone on this board including me! He also has inside connections to the Bills! I will leave it at that! Ive never been lied to about anything when it comes to the Bills!

I stand by my "rumor" post 100%! Whether im right or wrong! If im wrong i will own up to it non like most here!

I hope thats good enough for you guys! Regardless if its true or not were all one big family! Have a Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year!

Thanks!!

Tom

God Bless you buddy

Step back. take a moment and look at the season the Bills have had. Think about the mistakes, misplays, penalties, excuses, errors in play calling, mismanagement of game clock, etc. Now, can you imagine anybody desperate enough to willingly enlist with this organization?

I'd never ban a fan for a post like these. They are fun to read.

I'd pass on Gruden for the same reason I'd pass on guys like Cowher, Billick, Dungy, etc. Out of the game for too long. I'd prefer a coach or coordinator that's already successful in the NFL.

I for one think the Bills are an attractive franchise to coach at this point. It's got a dedicated fan base, a new stadium lease and renovations, it's shown a willingness to spend money, it's got some young talent, has a high draft pick, and the sky is the limit.

Edited by dpberr

Thanks!!

Tom

Merry Christmas to you and your family.