Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What point is your sarcastic (and incorrect) post supposed to be making? I said the rule is, and the interviews that result, are a sham. Even if it had resulted in a legitimate signing of a head coach, it doesn't take away from the overall absurdity of the rule and many of the interviews that have been held in it's name.

As far as that situation goes, the Steelers had already interviewed a minority to satisfy the Roony Rule before interviewing "that DC from Minnesota", so his interview and hiring had nothing to do with it at all. But nice try.

You can argue the sham point (incorrectly I might add) all you want, but your history is poor. Pittsburgh did NOT interview any minorities other than Tomlin, and in fact were going to hire Grimm as their next head coach when Tomlin took the interview. He impressed them so much that he got the job. You can easily look this up.

EDIT: I went ahead and did it for you. You may be remembering that the team had plans to interview then-Bears DC Ron Riviera, but couldn't because the rule at the time did not allow for coaches to interview for other jobs until their season was completed. Since they had already interviewed Grimm, Tomlin, and then-OC Ken Whisenhunt, they went ahead and made a hire without interviewing Riviera. Here's the link:

Steeler's Coaching Search

And the point is that--had it not been for the rule--Tomlin wouldn't have gotten the time of day, since the Steelers were happy handing the reins to Grimm...how happy are they that they didn't?

Edited by thebandit27

Dudes. Nothing is gonna happen. Are you not well versed in Brandon's tactics? Three years ago he made sure Shanahan's and Cowher's name got circulated. What did we get? Gailey pudding. Can't you see what this is? This is just another marketing drama concocted by Russ to give the perception that great things are happening and we all should run out and buy Bills season tickets and Bills merchandise.

If Russ was courting Gruden or some other coach, he would not meet in any public place where figures like himelf and Gruden would easily be recognized. If the two actually met at Tempo it was done purposely to be seen and make you think the Bills are serious and bringing him in.

There is no way on God's green earth this happens. Mark it down. Ralph can not handle strong coaching personalities number one, and number two Gruden will not allow Ralph to "cage" him (he's been through Al Davis), and three, he would cost Ralph a lot of money. Ralph has to spend to the cap.... he doesn't have to pay top $$ for coaches... and he won't pay Gruden $7-$8m.

I've been around the block a few times and know exatly what to expect under this ownership. Obviously, many of you are either too young or too dilusional to realize what's going on.

Why isn't Gruden meeting with the general manager? Oh, right, because this is a made-up story.

Not saying that I actually believe any of this is true, and if it were, we would just be calling for Grudens head talking about how out of touch he is with Todays NFL by next season, but you have to think of brandon as basically the "Owner" in this situation. He is Ralphs right hand man basically with the team and is sort of the acting "Owner"

Dudes. Nothing is gonna happen. Are you not well versed in Brandon's tactics? Three years ago he made sure Shanahan's and Cowher's name got circulated. What did we get? Gailey pudding. Can't you see what this is? This is just another marketing drama concocted by Russ to give the perception that great things are happening and we all should run out and buy Bills season tickets and Bills merchandise.

If Russ was courting Gruden or some other coach, he would not meet in any public place where figures like himelf and Gruden would easily be recognized. If the two actually met at Tempo it was done purposely to be seen and make you think the Bills are serious and bringing him in.

There is no way on God's green earth this happens. Mark it down. Ralph can not handle strong coaching personalities number one, and number two Gruden will not allow Ralph to "cage" him (he's been through Al Davis), and three, he would cost Ralph a lot of money. Ralph has to spend to the cap.... he doesn't have to pay top $$ for coaches... and he won't pay Gruden $7-$8m.

I've been around the block a few times and know exatly what to expect under this ownership. Obviously, many of you are either too young or too dilusional to realize what's going on.

Yeah, Bills fans are keen for a ray of hope but no one is going out to buy jerseys/tickets based on an alledged meeting. Even Russ know's he couldn't sell that.

This is just another marketing drama concocted by Russ to give the perception that great things are happening and we all should run out and buy Bills season tickets and Bills merchandise.

I don't believe this rumor for a minute, but I also don't buy the silly theory that past Bills coaching searches have been PR stunts.

Exactly how many tickets/jerseys were sold in the short timeframe between the Shanahan news and Gailey's hiring? Few if any. Also, why would the Bills brass purposely become the boys that cried wolf? Might that hurt their credibility with other candidates in the future? If you believe this theory, the Bills are far worse off than anyone realizes.

People have been accepting these scam interviews since the rule has been in place. There's always someone that will take it, even if just for experience. AS far as outside perception/retribution, they have no leg to stand on. Sham rule leads to sham interviews. Don't like it, get rid of the rule.

Bills call in someone, take them out for a nice free dinner on the teams dime, have a few drinks and cal it an "interview" for the HC position, then maybe offer him another coaching position?

For a free dinner, why not? It gets your name in the media as a potential candidate somewhere else maybe

You can argue the sham point (incorrectly I might add) all you want, but your history is poor. Pittsburgh did NOT interview any minorities other than Tomlin, and in fact were going to hire Grimm as their next head coach when Tomlin took the interview. He impressed them so much that he got the job. You can easily look this up.

EDIT: I went ahead and did it for you. You may be remembering that the team had plans to interview then-Bears DC Ron Riviera, but couldn't because the rule at the time did not allow for coaches to interview for other jobs until their season was completed. Since they had already interviewed Grimm, Tomlin, and then-OC Ken Whisenhunt, they went ahead and made a hire without interviewing Riviera. Here's the link:

Steeler's Coaching Search

And the point is that--had it not been for the rule--Tomlin wouldn't have gotten the time of day, since the Steelers were happy handing the reins to Grimm...how happy are they that they didn't?

Did you even read your own link? You know, where it said they already interviewed Rivera once, but didn't want to wait to hire him? Seriously, how does that get by you when your so willing to be an ass about it?

Here, how about this, right from the horses mouth. http://www.aolnews.c...he-rooney-rule/

EDIT: And let me add that this example is why the rule is so pointless. Because you're exactly correct, Grimm was the leader until Tomlin impressed them so much that he won the job. It didn't matter what race he was, they wanted the best man for the job. And they didn't need a ridiculous rule to get them there.

Edited by Faustus

I was told by another board member i owe all of you an explanation on this "gruden rumor" and why i have not responded.....

First....i work 3rd shift and im trying to support my family! I work mega overtime due to losing my home last year and all of our belongings! Im in financial hell from it!!

Second....as for this rumor....i have soo much more to do with my time then start nonsense bull ****!!! Im a bigger fan if this team then most of you! I wear a Bills shirt every sunday! Including off seasons! Im sick of losing like the rest of you! While i wont drop any names, my source about this "rumor" knows his football more then anyone on this board including me! He also has inside connections to the Bills! I will leave it at that! Ive never been lied to about anything when it comes to the Bills!

I stand by my "rumor" post 100%! Whether im right or wrong! If im wrong i will own up to it non like most here!

I hope thats good enough for you guys! Regardless if its true or not were all one big family! Have a Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year!

If you feel the need to ban me....then do what you gotta do!

Thanks!!

Tom

That's a WHOLE LOT of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step back. take a moment and look at the season the Bills have had. Think about the mistakes, misplays, penalties, excuses, errors in play calling, mismanagement of game clock, etc. Now, can you imagine anybody desperate enough to willingly enlist with this organization?

And most of those can be blamed on coaching, IF this is true, he won't be coaching for Chan.........

Did you even read your own link? You know, where it said they already interviewed Rivera once, but didn't want to wait to hire him? Seriously, how does that get by you when your so willing to be an ass about it.

Here, how about this, right from the horses mouth. http://www.aolnews.c...he-rooney-rule/

I did miss that...apparently they did interview Riviera, after they interviewed Tomlin.

As for Rooney, what do you expect him to say? They were going to hire Grimm, it's actually pretty well documented:

Steelers Yank Rug From Grimm

Half-way down the page...

As the rumor went, the Steelers had offered the head-coaching job to Russ Grimm, and Grimm had accepted it. But at the last minute NFL commissioner Roger Goodell got involved, and urged Steelers chairman Dan Rooney to hire either Tomlin or Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, both of whom were minority candidates.

Per a source close to Grimm, we're now told that this is the version of the events that Grimm privately has been reciting.

Now, I suppose you could say that you don't believe the story, but it's not at all unlike when Goodell got involved and told Michael Vick where to sign...so you make the call.

Edited by thebandit27

I remember you being highly, highly critical of Gruden many years ago when he was about to be fired. Correct?

I honestly don't remember that. I've defended Gruden and the job he did in Tampa (since the Buccs are my #2 team) numerous times here. The only criticisms i had for him in Tampa were that he bungled the QB situation, and that he definitely did cause locker room problems towards the end of his tenure. I think i addressed these in #2 and 3 from my post. When he was fired in Tampa, it really was time for him to go and move on.

I was told by another board member i owe all of you an explanation on this "gruden rumor" and why i have not responded.....

First....i work 3rd shift and im trying to support my family! I work mega overtime due to losing my home last year and all of our belongings! Im in financial hell from it!!

Second....as for this rumor....i have soo much more to do with my time then start nonsense bull ****!!! Im a bigger fan if this team then most of you! I wear a Bills shirt every sunday! Including off seasons! Im sick of losing like the rest of you! While i wont drop any names, my source about this "rumor" knows his football more then anyone on this board including me! He also has inside connections to the Bills! I will leave it at that! Ive never been lied to about anything when it comes to the Bills!

I stand by my "rumor" post 100%! Whether im right or wrong! If im wrong i will own up to it non like most here!

I hope thats good enough for you guys! Regardless if its true or not were all one big family! Have a Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year!

If you feel the need to ban me....then do what you gotta do!

Thanks!!

Tom

So Brandon had a meeting last night after a, what, 4ish hour flight(?) in a restaurant not open on Sundays? Hey, there is a pig flying outside of my house right now. Go figure.

Edited by HansLanda

I did miss that...apparently they did interview Riviera, after they interviewed Tomlin.

As for Rooney, what do you expect him to say? They were going to hire Grimm, it's actually pretty well documented:

After Tomlin? Where did you pull that from??

What do I expect Rooney to say? I would expect Rooney, the guy who pushed the rule through, to say, "See? It works!! Without this rule in place we never would have found the better man for the job!" But he couldn't say that. Since they had already interviewed a minority (already....as in before Tomlin) he couldn't use it as a success story.

Why would you expect him to say anything else? And no, I do not believe that story.

So Brandon had a meeting last night after a, what, 4ish hour flight(?) in a restaurant not open on Sundays? Hey, there is a pig flying outside of my house right now. Go figure.

Keep calling Santa a pig and there will be coal in your stocking!